Geocaching Gender Confusion

To a large extent this is a faceless activity. You read logs and posts, and not everyone posts photo's. Even so you form impressions...

So far I've been wrong twice on guys I found out were gals in the forums and a couple others I was wrong about that I've met on the trail.

Anyone else have a false gender impression corrected?

Edited by Renegade Knight
With a lot of the gender neutral names out there, yeah.  There was many times I though some dame wuz a guy and some guy wuz a dame.  For the longest time I though Keystone Approver was a chick.

Don't forget your "confusing" Peter-Pan avatar :P

Edited by Stunod

I know I'm not alone in that I thought CO_Admin was a female, until I found out his name was Mike. Then there was some confusion about NJ Admin. Now I'm sure I know the truth and still can't definitively say one or the other. :P

I have to say what throws me off more than anything is age. I never know what someone is going to look like and have been surprised a lot more by a persons age. People I think are going to be older turn out to be younger and visa versa.

I know I'm not alone in that I thought CO_Admin was a female, until I found out his name was Mike. Then there was some confusion about NJ Admin. Now I'm sure I know the truth and still can't definitively say one or the other. 

DITTO! Just a guess here, but i think it might have something to do with that pretty pink/purple pony avator? :P

This brings up an interesting question. well, interesting to me anyway. When I studied the German language, I learned that objects are classified as masculine, feminine, or nuetral. Sort of like when someone refers to their car as she, as in old Betsy.

In German, the word "the" is either der, die, or das depending on the gender. Is it der geocache (masculine), die geocache (feminine) or das geocache (neutral)?

Hopefully I got that right. Achtung, baby!

So in the episode of The Simpsons where Side Show Bob claims his "Die, Bart, Die" tatoo is German for "The, Bart, The" (no one who speaks German could be evil!) it really would have been "She, Bart, She"?

Essentially, yes. Die pronounced "dee" would be the feminine conjugation of "the". :P

So in the episode of The Simpsons where Side Show Bob claims his "Die, Bart, Die" tatoo is German for "The, Bart, The" (no one who speaks German could be evil!) it really would have been "She, Bart, She"?

Not exactly, although "die" does indicate the feminine, it's not the same as "she." Besides, there are too many exceptions to the gender indicative articles. That's how English ended up being so confusing since it descended from the Germanic branch as part of the Indo-European family of languages. :P If this seems confusing, it is. :D Some German friends of mine have fun with it, though.

Edited by Teach2Learn

Not exactly, although "die" does indicate the feminine, it's not the same as "she." Besides, there are too many exceptions to the gender indicative articles. That's how English ended up being so confusing since it descended from the Germanic branch as part of the Indo-European family of languages. :P If this seems confusing, it is. :D Some German friends of mine have fun with it, though.

Correct. It wouldn't mean "she Bart she" as much as it would mean "the feminine Bart the". Well sort of anyway. You had to be there (German class)

Edited by cachew nut
I know I'm not alone in that I thought CO_Admin was a female, until I found out his name was Mike. Then there was some confusion about NJ Admin. Now I'm sure I know the truth and still can't definitively say one or the other. 

DITTO! Just a guess here, but i think it might have something to do with that pretty pink/purple pony avator? :P

uuumm. No, I just thought he was a girl.

Interesting thread. The importance we're placing on this indicates how much gender is implicated in preconceived notions we have of people.

Personally, I think the gender of a geocacher should matter about as much as the colour of their eyes.

- hamgran

So far I've been wrong twice on guys I found out were gals in the forums and a couple others I was wrong about that I've met on the trail.

And just how did you determine the correct gender? :anitongue:

Every now and then someone will drop their real name. The truly embarassing one was Carl Neep. Which is how I read CarleenP's name for the longest time...

And back in the days when Keystone Approver was using Bubbles for his avitar I was thinking he had the XX thing going on.

In German, the word "the" is either der, die, or das depending on the gender. Is it der geocache (masculine), die geocache (feminine) or das geocache (neutral)?

It's der Geocache as far as I know (like many loanwords in German are). Also, nouns in German language are written with capital letter.

So it's masculine, which kind of makes sense to me: you hide it, you know, like stick it in, see, just like having :D:anitongue::PB).

B)

Look...I've explained this all before...it was DARK...I was TIRED...and I never knew that DUDES could be named LESLIE too!!!!!!!!  :P

Bret

Bret, shouldn't the mustache and tatoo's given you some kind of clue! B) Nevermind I know a girl who fits that description. :anitongue:

By the way so there is no doubt.

Mastifflover

Sex:MALE

And to quote Criminal: "I like girls, I like them alot!!"

I once had a person I met at an event tell me that I was younger and less prudish than he imagined! He reads these forums too, so I won't name him! He will likely remember the comment when he reads this though. I was amused. :anitongue:

You are older and more prudish than I fantasize though... :P

--Marky

Interesting thread. The importance we're placing on this indicates how much gender is implicated in preconceived notions we have of people.

Personally, I think the gender of a geocacher should matter about as much as the colour of their eyes.

- hamgran

Only a person with Blue eyes would say that.

--Marky

Well let's see-um Marky-M and Joanie-W.

Renegade Knight -M

I always think of the actor/ess Divine when I see the horned dude's posts so that confuses me. B)

I met Mastifflover at GW2 so that's settled.

Carl neep too.

Always thought JMBella was a he from the slant of the posts, septic too. Besides what female would ever call herself that? :D

How am I doing so far?

I too thought that KA was a chick with the cute avatar for a while. B)

I have now seen him in person; he ain't that cute ( but a lot of fun to hang out with.)

Same with CO and the pony thing.

About a year ago I mistook DruMorgan for a girl. B)

That was when he/she was using his/her fifth grade pic as his/her avatar. I go a correction email quickly after I referred to 'her' in a post. :anitongue:

Shouldn't be much doubt with my screenname. I'm not too sure about churchcampdave though! :P

Just recently Geo Ho and I were out hitting some caches near an event via canoe. Hydrocaching is pretty popular in CT, and we had just been discussing which other paddlecachers had said they would be attending the event. When we got to "MixWithH2o", GH said "yeah, I'd really like to meet him" and I agreed.

"His" bio says:

enjoy the outdoors, biking, hiking and kayaking (flatwater) sailing,swimming,snowshoeing,x-country skiing just plain doing stuff outside where my dog can be with me enjoying it too! Love traveling and photography and hockey.

Sound's like cool guy!

Not 5 minutes later we met a woman kayaking the other way. Found out she was a fellow cacher, and discussed which caches we had found were doable via the river. As we were leaving, we asked, "BTW, who are you?". Of course by now you all know the answer, right?

It was MixWithH2o.

It's der Geocache as far as I know (like many loanwords in German are). Also, nouns in German language are written with capital letter.

So it's masculine, which kind of makes sense to me: you hide it, you know, like stick it in, see, just like having :DB):anitongue:B).

:P

It is funny you should say that - when I first saw 'der Geocache' in German, it stroke me as entirely counterintuitive - I would have thought of a cace as feminine: 'die Geocache'. This doesn't happen to me very often - dealing with technical and legal German documents is what I do for a living. In this case, the intuitition of the first person to use the word Cache in German must have been different from mine, and he decided otherwise. Of course, if I had grown up with the German words Cache and Geocache as a child, their masculine gender would have appeared to be entirely natural to me.

BTW, there is a local user here who usees a German feminine noun as his handle. There is no problem with that, since natural and grammatical gender are entirely separate in German. However, he uses as masculine article in front of the feminine noun, which makes it entirely ridiculous. I won't mention names B)

Anyway.

No surprises yet....well, there was one but I don't want to talk about that :anitongue:

If I had a dollar though for everytime I heard.....you're Strohem? I could buy a new Palm :P

I've met a lot of cachers out on the trail....and it's always been a good time.

I have a motorsports hobby, and am female. This intrinsically confuses people (and has, on these forums).

The older I get, the more I like dynamic range. (like....geocaching and autocross as hobbies....different in lots of ways...though I do know another geocaching autocrosser, and both tend to attract techies.)

It's good for your brain. We older folks need that. Remember that, all you Temporarily Young People.