Who Would You Like To See As A Mod?

My two recommendations are already out there... Briansnat in the US and Divine in Europe. Both seem to have a great deal of knowlege, a strong sense of fair play and commitment, and a willingness to help without bias, even though both have their own distinct opinions and humor.

Although having a large number of post shouldn't be a qualification, it is indicitive of 1) having large amounts of time to participate in the forums, and 2) having large amounts of knowledge and opinions worth sharing.

With those thoughts in mind, I second the nomination of Briansnat.

Since mtn-man already has the brick mason sig line perhaps Brians could be "another load of BS"? :(

Edited by wimseyguy
To be honest, it would not surprise me. you strike me as the type that would support something you committed to and do the job required of you without personal opinions interfering.

Ah, see, HERE is the real issue. I think MANY could do their job and avoid some kind of "power trip," but the real question is, "Can they maintain sanity for a long period of time while doing it. For some people, it would just be a bad experience. I hope those people have the wisdom to avoid it.

This is the 'Female' oldfart here.

I think Criminal would make a very good Mod. He can always be counted on to come into a real mess & deactivate it with just a few common-sense words...think back on his posts...Plus he is cool. :(

The one person no one has mentioned would be Team 360. He can really maintain his cool in the most trying of issues, never belittles people or makes rude comments. And, on the plus side, he has just posted a thread that he is burnt-out on caching & this would give him a break :huh:

I agree that Planet would be a very good choice, if she told someone to behave....who would go against her? :(

Also, Renegade Knight has a very good common sense attitude, so therefore would be an asset in any forum.

There are lots of good folks that would really do the best they could to baby-sit the forums. Of course some of the forums would be a lot easier to moderate than others, so if you get asked if you consider being a mod, tell them you want to moderate the 'Benchmark forum'.

I have only seen one time where Tenn. Geo. had to come into things to calm it down a little.

To whomever gets the honor(?), I wish you well & just remember to take '5' deep breaths (3 won't be enough) before you use your wisdom & wit.

Shirley~

As far as it goes, I don't know whether I would make a good mod or not. I'm not sure how much time it would take, for one thing.

A good mod, in my mind, must be willing to not post his/her personal ideas on an issue and just keep an eye on threads to make sure they stay within the forum guidelines. The individual can always pop over to his/her personal account to post personal opinion.

In judging whether one would make a good mod, his/her past postings should be reviewed. Did the individual make personal attacks or did he/she focus on the issues at hand? Did the individual hijack threads, or did he/she try to pull threads back toward the original topic?

Edited by sbell111

I'm a member of the board of education in a small school district (about 500 students from two towns). I did not run for the office--I was appointed when one of the board members left. The board president and the superintendent worked on me for almost a month trying to convince me to serve. I didn't want the job but I decided to do it in order to give something back to my community.

It's been a bad couple of years with a lot of infighting among groups who want this coach or that teacher fired. I get calls late at night and people come to my house early on Sunday morning. The two towns in the district didn't get along when we were separate school districts and the rivalry seemed worse combined. We've had to lop the heads off of several teachers, administrators and coaches. Finally, after several years of this nonsense, we've got administrators, coaches, and teachers that we can trust. There is an eerie calm over the community.

I didn't want the job and I still don't. I tell myself that I've helped make my community a better place for all our kids. There are people who want my seat only so they can fire a coach or a principal. They have no interest in building a school we can be proud of or keeping our community viable. I've lost one very close friend to all the fighting and that's the thing I regret most of all.

I see amazing parallels between my home town and the geocaching community. I see the same type of vicious, petty behavior among geocachers and moderators that I've seen for the last two years in this school district. The love of hunting Tupperware is not enough to bind people with such different world views. And that is what any new moderator has to look forward to--keeping the peace among a bunch of grown children who don't want to play nice. One or two of the names mentioned will make good moderators. The rest, I hope, were nominated in jest.

-E

p.s. After reading this, I realize that I sound world-weary. I'm actually a very positive person with an optimistic outlook on life. I'm a peace maker which is why all this stuff gets to me. I'll be better after I've had a chance to climb a mountain.

p.p.s. No, I don't want the job.

The above posts by sbell and tres okies are excellent. Sbell touches on some of the key qualifications for a good forum moderator. Prior to joining the Groundspeak volunteer team, my record as a forum poster would probably be summed up like this: "He helps a lot of people with questions, engages in debates respectfully, and his off-topic postings are forgiveable because sometimes they're funny." I try very hard to post my personal opinions under my personal account, except when those opinions are on an issue specific to my job as a volunteer, like debating the cache review process or the wording of the listing guidelines.

For me, tres okies captures my feelings exactly with his analogy to the local school board. I did not ask to be a forum mod, I didn't want to be one and I resisted when I was asked. Obviously that changed. Hydee is very persuasive. :P I continue to do the job for the same reason tres okies identified - to give something back to the geocaching community.

What? No one has nominated me?!?

That's what I get for being too sweet and innocent! :D:D:P

I actually thought of you...but then yes...as you said...you are too sweet and innocent...I couldn't picture you being mean when you need to...and you would need to :P

I think the Smurf, ju66ler, criminal, carleenp, and RK would all be good choices...

-Six

I've seen a lot of names come up that I think would be good mods.

Carleen.....yes. A very level headed and intelligent woman.

Briansnat....Nobody could question that decison. Besides, I think he lives in here anyways. We might as well put him to work.

Criminal....He would certainly be different. Also a very intelligent person.

R.K.....I think he would be a good mod. Another smart guy, but if he were a mod....who would I get to debate hot issues with? I need him to be free so he can keep making me look good! :D

John Kerry ????

George Bush...Will be busy the next 4 years.

Me.....I would have to give up debating R.K. :P

El Diablo

I think the Smurf, ju66ler, criminal, carleenp, and RK would all be good choices...

-Six

Did you say ju66ler? BAAAAAAhahahaha ... whoa, you are funny. :P

Yes...I know there is often a lot of "controversy" surrounding his posts...but I can't recall him ever gettinh hot-headed (I may be wrong)...but I think he would stick to his guns and be fair as far as moderating goes...

Also, yes, Briansnat...I guess I already thought he was a mod...

-Six

As mostly a lurker, I would pick Carleenp, :P or pyewacket, :P:D

Robespierre, if hydee would let him (and if he's not already), but the first one that came to mind, that no one has mentioned yet, is CYBret. He always seems to me to be the voice of reason.

Which is why CyBret can never be a forum Mod.

This is the 'Female' oldfart here.

I think Criminal would make a very good Mod. Snip

That will never happen for four very good reasons.

1. Although tactically it would be a good move for groundbleat to “hire” the rabble-rousers, they have to fear I’m too unstable. You don’t give admin passwords to the unstable.

B. Not even Hydee could talk me into that, and she’s talked me off the ledge a few times.

3. I’m far too scatterbrained anymore, I hardly know what day it is and often get lost in thoughts about girls and their exciting girlie bits.

4. I have limited time, the mag is taking up too much of it and the computer I’m supposed to be using for that is trying like hell to die. I’m going to rename it “Francisco Franco”.

e. I mean really, am I going to sit here making sure nobody says crap that might offend some moronic loser who has nothing better to do that look for ways to take the fun out of geocaching, or am I going to go sit in front of starbucks and look at the women? Sheesh. :P

But thanks to all who mentioned me! :D

...I mean really, am I going to sit here making sure nobody says crap that might offend some moronic loser who has nothing better to do that look for ways to take the fun out of geocaching, or am I going to go sit in front of starbucks and look at the women?  Sheesh. :D

Crim, I like your attitude. :P:P

I have to say thanks to those (even CO!) who thought I'd be an appropriate choice. It's nice to have qualities recognized apart from ideology and that's something I'm always sure to keep in mind myself when I post here (i.e., I recognize Jeremy is very hard working and dedicated...just not to what I'd prefer he were working on). I have even moderated a few web forums before, although they were far smaller and less diverse groups of people so the job was a bit easier.

I'd probably "answer the call", even though I don't really have the time for it if I were asked. But whichever fortune you think this favors, GS.com hasn't approached me about moderation of their forums.

I guess I should say that I would not be willing to be a Mod. At least not in the forums where angst often arises. I would go insane and get grumpy! I don't like being grumpy.....

I appreciate the nice comments recommending me though. Thanks!  :P

Dang! Just when I thought I had figured out who the new mod was going to be. :anitongue:

I had a long chat with one of the admins last night and found out who the new moderator is. Because I don't want said admin to get a reputation as a blabbermouth, I won't reveal his (or her) name.

Its a name that will surprise people but after a few minutes of thinking it over we'll all say "hmmm, makes sense". The new mod is Subigo.

Edited by briansnat

Now, I just thoroughly enjoyed the wit:

That will never happen for four very good reasons.

1. Although tactically it would be a good move for groundbleat to “hire” the rabble-rousers, they have to fear I’m too unstable. You don’t give admin passwords to the unstable.

B. Not even Hydee could talk me into that, and she’s talked me off the ledge a few times.

3. I’m far too scatterbrained anymore, I hardly know what day it is and often get lost in thoughts about girls and their exciting girlie bits.

4. I have limited time, the mag is taking up too much of it and the computer I’m supposed to be using for that is trying like hell to die. I’m going to rename it “Francisco Franco”.

e. I mean really, am I going to sit here making sure nobody says crap that might offend some moronic loser who has nothing better to do that look for ways to take the fun out of geocaching, or am I going to go sit in front of starbucks and look at the women? Sheesh

:anitongue:
I had a long chat with one of the admins last night and found out who the new moderator is. Because I don't want said admin to get a reputation as a blabbermouth, I won't reveal his (or her) name.

Its a name that will surprise people but after a few minutes of thinking it over we'll all say "hmmm, makes sense". The new mod is Subigo.

Interesting choice.

Good luck Subigo.

Subigo wasn't mentioned even in Jest before KA said that someone had nailed it.

I can gurantee , It ain't me, and most of the rest have allready publicly declined.

That leaves Planet and a couple of other names, but Planet is my vote for who will actually get the job. She allready has moderating tendancies even without the title.

For such an often unwelcome task, I would nominate briansnat, carleenp (even though she opposes the nomination), and pyewacket. I'm sure there are others who are capable, but I'm not so sure would be willing.

Wow...thanks for the vote of confidence, Teach (and Sputnik 57). I'm truly flattered.