Found one too many premium-only caches, I'm out of here..,

I decided to sign up for geocaching after accidentally finding a cache and trackable. How fun, I thought! I'll give it a try. Since then, I've found several PMO only caches that I couldn't log and feel like I'm constantly nagged online on nearly every click to sign up for a premium membership that seems to offer only relief from artificially imposed limitations rather than premium add-ons. I think I'm done with geocaching already. Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

I decided to sign up for geocaching after accidentally finding a cache and trackable. How fun, I thought! I'll give it a try. Since then, I've found several PMO only caches that I couldn't log and feel like I'm constantly nagged online on nearly every click to sign up for a premium membership that seems to offer only relief from artificially imposed limitations rather than premium add-ons. I think I'm done with geocaching already. Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

You can log PMO caches. A quick search of the forums will show you how. I will look for a link for you.

Didn't I see on a forum post up once for just logging PMO caches with this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GCXXXX

You just only need to replace the Xs with the actual (geocache code).

I don't know what area you cache in, but in my area, there are not many premium member only (PMO) caches. Mostly all the caches around here are for all users. Personaly, when I was a basic member, I had fun using the geocaching.com site to figure out the locations of PMO caches, then finding and logging them online (using the trick above)

Edited by Andronicus

Uh there are plenty of non premium caches out there. There is also a way round so you can log the premium caches. But keeping someone else's travel bug because you don't like the way this hobby is set up is wrong. It's owned by someone.

There are some very useful premium add-ons, the greatest of which are Bookmarks and Pocket Queries.

There are many geocachers who happily use the site without paying, but, yes, they are missing out on the premium features.

Please don't keep the trackable. It doesn't belong to the site; it belongs to an individual who doesn't deserve to be punished because you are unhappy with the site.

Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be.

That's pretty big of you, keeping another person's trackable because you have a problem with (supposedly) not being able to log a PMO cache -- something that you could actually do if you'd search or even bother to ask.

But no, you'd rather just keep the item as a sort of "pay back" as would a spoiled child.

Wow what a whiner RhizomicSearcher is he has only found one cache and gripes because he can't log it.

So he plays the brat! and throws a fit! and keeps the trackable. I hope he reads this and decides to grow up and move that bug. About 98% of geocache hides are available to all users

Edited by Mn-treker

Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be. I'll keep an eye out for a user revolt at some time in the future.

Reading the thread, I can't tell if this is a trolling thread or not.

However, taking the OP's words at face value, I see an ethics dilemma for him/her.

The OP wants to make an innocent third party pay for their frustration with Groundspeak. Real mature. Buh bye. Don't let the door smack ya on the way out. <_<

Assuming that the OP's one find was in their home area, there are 3599 premium member caches within 50 miles of that cache. That's a high number. But, there are 19,436 caches in the same 50 mile radius that are open to all members. That's plenty of opportunities for free fun, and for dropping off a trackable.

You found a cache on 2/17, joined on 2/18, logging the cache on 2/19 and have kept the trackable from it since then.

How is it possible (as a basic member) you keep finding PMO hides you can't view online, yet you've only found one regular (accidently) to date?

And one DNF log... http://coord.info/GLA9EV8P

You can "see" the PMO caches on the listing if you are a basic member, but you cant see the coordinates.

Edited by SwineFlew

I think the OP might be a bit sensitive and might even have questionable ethics keeping the trackable. But if it's any consolation, I agree that for non-premium members, the ads and the push to go premium are far too many and far too obtrusive. If I weren't in a position to afford a premium membership, I am sure I'd lose interest because of the ads.

And before you start attacking me, I maintain TWO premium accounts.

Assuming that the OP's one find was in their home area, there are 3599 premium member caches within 50 miles of that cache. That's a high number. But, there are 19,436 caches in the same 50 mile radius that are open to all members. That's plenty of opportunities for free fun, and for dropping off a trackable.

Its too big of an area. Try my area, Springfield Oregon and 1/3 of them are PMO within the city limit. Thats high. If a newbie from that area join the site and see there not many non PMO caches to find, they might move on. Thats bad business for GS on the extreme side.(talking about a given area thats mostly PMO or a really good share of them) Not everybody are willing to drive a way to try something new. If there nothing close by, they wont try it out.

I see PMO caches as a "joke." PQ and API is the reason I am a paying member. Remove the audit log and the PMO caches will drop.

You can log PMO caches. A quick search of the forums will show you how. I will look for a link for you.

You can probably find it somewhere in the FOUR threads yesterday that discussed this.

Five threads on this and three on creating multiple accounts. Are we getting our collective legs pulled?

I have some sympathy for the OP. I have a socked puppet through a regular account and I find the constant reminders about premium membership annoying. There is no need for that big yellow 'Upgrade to Premium' button right under your caching name, nor is there any need for premium-member-only caches to show up on the search. The constant nagging is annoying.

Incidentally, even as a regular member, you CAN log PMO caches.

Logging for non-premium members, follow the link below, just enter the GC code and click log. http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

Please do not keep the trackable, though. It belongs to someone just like you and me and keeping it will only hurt them, not Groundspeak.

I have some sympathy for the OP. I have a socked puppet through a regular account and I find the constant reminders about premium membership annoying. There is no need for that big yellow 'Upgrade to Premium' button right under your caching name, nor is there any need for premium-member-only caches to show up on the search. The constant nagging is annoying.

Incidentally, even as a regular member, you CAN log PMO caches.

Logging for non-premium members, follow the link below, just enter the GC code and click log. http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

Please do not keep the trackable, though. It belongs to someone just like you and me and keeping it will only hurt them, not Groundspeak.

Actually it could HELP Groundspeak if OP keeps the trackable. The owner will likely purchase a replacement trackable from Groundspeak.

Probably I'll keep the latest trackable I found in a PMO cache as a reminder of what a scam this site turns to be.

Usually one takes one's own ball and goes home, not someone else's ball.

I rate this geocide a very lame 1 out of 10 due to the lack of actual caching time, no hides to turn into geo-litter, little to no hostility or flaming in the parting message, and taking someone else's ball home. Thanks for coming out.

I guess the hobby doesn't need someone like you anyway.

Too bad the owner of a TD has to suffer because of you

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I rate this geocide a very lame 1 out of 10 due to the lack of actual caching time, no hides to turn into geo-litter, little to no hostility or flaming in the parting message, and taking someone else's ball home. Thanks for coming out.

You forgot their abject failure to properly fill out and submit the official RK666 geocide form too.

Edited by wimseyguy

You forgot their abject failure to properly fill out and submit the official RK666 geocide form too.

I still miss RK as a regular around here. :sad:

I wonder how many of the people that whine about paying eight cents a day for a premium membership don't think anything of dropping twenty five or thirty dollars in a bar or paying fifty dollars for a carton of cigarettes.

Take a few friends to Starbucks for coffee only and you'd have a premium membership......the list goes on.

I still miss RK as a regular around here. :sad:

He visited the site 6 days ago, I've noticed some of the old timers still visit but don't post :(

Did someone make April "protest about PMO caches" month? Seems like more threads than usual lately...

I believe these posts are all from reviewer or lackey sock puppet accounts preparing the way for the announcement that, given all the trouble they cause, PMO caches well no longer be allowed and all existing PMO caches will immediately convert to basic caches.

I have 2 PMOs. I only recently used the PMO feature on 2 of our caches that took me many days to construct. I read Don_J's experience regarding a team of guys, where none had even a basic membership. They used an app to find caches that didn't require a membership. If they get rid of PMO I'd like to see an option that caches can't be seen on apps or browsers unless the person has at least a basic membership.

Uh there are plenty of non premium caches out there. There is also a way round so you can log the premium caches. But keeping someone else's travel bug because you don't like the way this hobby is set up is wrong. It's owned by someone.

technically he can take it ...you go to the street put your iPhone down and turn around and look back if someone has it in there hands its there's now. Like the Tupperware container once you put it down and leave it in the forest or where ever you can't sue someone call the cops nothing it is no longer in your hands so it is no longer your property.

technically he can take it ...you go to the street put your iPhone down and turn around and look back if someone has it in there hands its there's now. Like the Tupperware container once you put it down and leave it in the forest or where ever you can't sue someone call the cops nothing it is no longer in your hands so it is no longer your property.

Remind me not to leave my car on the street.

He may not be a lawyer, but it sounds like he may have slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night! :laughing:

Actually you do this thing called calling the police as what they have done is stolen from you. (in the case of the phone)

just because people do it does not mean it's okay. it is wrong and if you think otherwise then there is something wrong there also.

Don't you love it when someone has absolutely no concept of a particular topic, say, for instance, the criminal justice system and processes within, and offers advice on said topic?

Happens all the time. For me, it's statistics and related math. See the current thread on "soft" coordinates for an excellent example. What's amazing is how sure of themselves some people are, despite being 100%, absolutely wrong.

These days I just try to enjoy the amusement. It's the same here. Clearly the concepts of "right," "wrong," "legal," and "illegal" are quite difficult to grasp.

Actually, there is an obscure law in California that says if you leave your car on the street for a certain period of time and the registration has lapsed, I can claim it.

Exactly. :angry: