Camera's

jmw61

A small canon coolpix. Its a few year's old now but takes decent pictures. I more often have my full size Fuji with me.

Coolpix is a Nikon product line. You can't go wrong with either brand. For a long time, Canon was better for point and shoot cameras, and equal in DSLR's, but Nikon has since improved their point and shoots. I personally use a Nikon D70 DSLR, though I wish I had a point and shoot that I could carry with me at all times. (A cell phone camera would not satisfy me)

When I don't want to drag a DSLR along I have a Cannon PowerShot A1000IS which is a 10 mega pixel camera and has a stabilized lens, takes great pictures and is a nice compact camera. mine is an older model so I don't know what the current model is. One major thing I like about quite a few models of Cannon point and shoot cameras is they use rechargeable AA batteries.

I have a nikon, don't remember model, point and shoot. It's about 5 years old and I don't worry about dropping it at all. One thing that was important to me was the ability for it to use AA batteries vs the camera specific special battery. I always have extra AA's with me so I don't have to worry about car chargers or second battery that is charged up ready to go.

I have a Canon A570 Powershot. I like it because it has manual as well as aperture and shutter priority settings to allow for creativity. That's a feature not found in most point and shoots in that price range. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore and its replacement model no longer has the the manual and aperture/shutter priority settings.

If I were buying a camera now I'd get the Canon PowerShot SX130, which has those features. It's a bit on the large side for a point and shoot, but everybody I met who has one absolutely loves it.

I don't know what it is about W's Nikon CoolPix; software, pic management program, what.., but it completely interfers with our Olympus SportsZoom and XP. Crashes everytime. We have many problems even copying the files to our computer. Takes nice pics and all, fits in a pocket well (eats batteries), but we just can't seem to be able to manage the pics on this computer. We usually just use our cell phone now, and the Olympus if there's a really good pic to be had, and use the Nikon if we have too (and want to argue with getting the pics downloaded).

Thanks folks. I appreciate all the input. I have a VERY old Nikon Coolpix that I used to use in an underwater housing back when I was still involved in scuba. It was a good camera. I have a Kodak now but it's just too bulky. Since I don't want to spend a ton of money, I just might go with MtnMutt's suggestion. Only problem with that is I can't draw for $hit. I guess I could go back out to Petroglyph National Monument and get some ideas to practice with though.. :unsure:

I have three cameras that I use on a regular basis:

Nikon D90: For road trips, caching events or other "won't get busted" caching trips.

Panasonic DMC-FZ35: Hiking caches -- love the 18x zoom lens for catching wildlife shots. Lighter than the SLR and fits in the pack easier.

iPhone4: Takes surprisingly decent photos. Handy for everyday urban caching or "I forgot my real camera" days.

I don't know what it is about W's Nikon CoolPix; software, pic management program, what.., but it completely interfers with our Olympus SportsZoom and XP. Crashes everytime. We have many problems even copying the files to our computer. Takes nice pics and all, fits in a pocket well (eats batteries), but we just can't seem to be able to manage the pics on this computer. We usually just use our cell phone now, and the Olympus if there's a really good pic to be had, and use the Nikon if we have too (and want to argue with getting the pics downloaded).

Sounds like JBnW has a software problem with the Nikon. I love my Nikon S2. It has rechargeable batteries, takes great pictures and I have no problem downloading to the desktop or laptop computer.

I had a similar issue with Kodak Easyshare software. The camera worked fine but everything else on the computer went haywire. And just to keep my life interesting when I uninstalled the software part of it was left behind and I wound up having to download a removal tool to get rid of the rest before everything started working again. That was the last camera software I loaded, now I use explorer to move the photos onto the computer and edit with PS Elements.

As for the camera I use, it's usually a Sony Alpha 900 and a sack of lenses. I have an Alpha 100 I take if weight or weather could become a serious issue but I don't really like it very much, the images are too noisy.

For those that use DSLR's what bag do you use for your camera while on the Geotrail?

I carry it in a Lowepro Rezo 180AW normally. When hiking I have a compartment in my backpack where it tucks away -- it's not ideal but it seems to work.

I'd really like to get a proper backback-style camera bag but I find most of the ones out there don't provide me with enough storage for all the "other" hiking gear like first aid kit, water, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what others use. Great discussion so far.

Olympus FE360 never leaves my bag, its very small and the picture quality is awesome

also the camera in the Oregon550, takes excellent pictures despite what some say

here's an example

54bc5c75-0368-492d-b4ef-3774499d91f3.jpg

ec4390ce-0ca0-4b5e-8155-8b082628b81e.jpg

Edited by t4e

I'd like to upgrade to a D200. I looked at your flickr account. You have some nice work there!

Thanks! Skip the D200 and go right to D300 or D700 though, as the low light performance is *much* better on those models.

For those that use DSLR's what bag do you use for your camera while on the Geotrail?

I carry it in a Lowepro Rezo 180AW normally. When hiking I have a compartment in my backpack where it tucks away -- it's not ideal but it seems to work.

I'd really like to get a proper backback-style camera bag but I find most of the ones out there don't provide me with enough storage for all the "other" hiking gear like first aid kit, water, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what others use. Great discussion so far.

I normally use a Lowepro Computracker AW when I'm doing the bag-o-lenses route. I also have a Swisspro sling pack camera bag that I picked up at Costco, that works well for me too.

I'll be honest though I have yet to find a good camera bag for the long hikes - I have been known to take my D200 with two lenses (Nikkor 18-200 VR and Sigma 10-20mm) on 40+ km hikes. When I am hiking more than 15km, I tend to shove the camera/lenses in a M.E.C. hydrating backpack (with a rain cover) rather than proper camera bag. I've got some downright huge ziplock bags that protect the camera if it rains super heavy, or if the bladder for the hydration ruptures.

Seems for some reason the camera bag makers don't think hydration is a good thing to mix with 'spensive cameras.

I use a Cannon DSLR T2i. Sometimes a smaller camera would be nice, but for those moments I have my Blackberry Storm.

LowePro Slingshot 100 for my Canon XSi. Fits my XSi, a second lens (55-250) and a small lens to be named later (Nifty Fifty?), with some room in the top compartment for a few other trail necessities.

We use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1... waterproof (with a setting for underwater shots), shockproof (supposedly I could drive over it and still be okay), and freezeproof (I haven't tested this one). It takes HD video as well as stills and fits into my pocket. It's a little bulkier than some of the newer digital cameras, but being a bit of a clutz and having two little ones who like to get their hands on things, it has been great for us. I love the flat sides that allow us to balance it on end to take timer-photos of the whole family in either verticle or horizontal format. My only wish is that I had bought the bright orange instead of the forest green, I have dropped it many times while caching and it's not the easiest thing to spot. Have fun camera shopping and good luck!

The Canon SX210 IS has been great for hiking or sight seeing. Small. Easy to carry even in a front shirt pocket. 14x optical zoom. 14mp. Image stabilization. Manual controls, but also a range of presets and special effects. It would not replace my dslr for every purpose, but it offers a lot and is easier to carry when caching.

Before I got this camera, I used a Panasonic Lumix dmc-tz5. I liked the 10x optical zoom, but the lack of manual aperture and shutter speed control limited options for waterfalls and the like.

Still, there are times when all I have is the iphone. Camera genius and some editing or filtering apps can keep me entertained.

Edited by mulvaney

When we plan ahead, I take the Canon 5D DSLR and a few lenses, as well as geocaching whatnot, in my Lowepro Orion Trekker backpack. If it's going to be a short hike, I may bring the whole camera bag, along with the infrared-only Canon Digital Rebel XT.

Otherwise, I've just left our old Canon Powershot S45 in our caching bag, and we use that for spur of the moment photos.

Edited by hzoi

When we plan ahead, I take the Canon 5D DSLR and a few lenses, as well as geocaching whatnot, in my Lowepro Orion Trekker backpack. If it's going to be a short hike, I may bring the whole camera bag, along with the infrared-only Canon Digital Rebel XT.

Otherwise, I've just left our old Canon Powershot S45 in our caching bag, and we use that for spur of the moment photos.

I don't mean to derail a fine thread, but whatnot? Are you serious? :blink:

I didn't want to split this into a "what's in your caching bag" thread.

Or are you just referring to my use of the word "whatnot?" I assure you, I am up to no tomfoolery or shenanigans, I am a swell guy. Didn't mean to start any brouhaha...

Or are you just referring to my use of the word "whatnot?" I assure you, I am up to no tomfoolery or shenanigans, I am a swell guy. Didn't mean to start any brouhaha...

Guffaw!! :lol: Edited by knowschad

I have a Pansonic Lumix DMC FH20. This is my third Lumix. First one I lost caching, second one I must have banged and the shutter would stick. I am trying to be nicer to this one but am very happy with the Lumix line and they get great reviews everywhere.

I also have a Nikon D70S but I am a klutz and fall often while hiking so don't take it unfortunately.

And if it's just for a quick shot or one I want to post to Facebook right away I use my iPhone 3G.

ETA I am hoping to get a new Lumix when the waterproof models come down in price soon given my procilvity for mistreatment, I don't want to spend a lot :rolleyes:

Edited by hallycat

How dare you boonswaggle my thread with your whatnot! :lol:

I use a Cannon DSLR T2i. Sometimes a smaller camera would be nice, but for those moments I have my Blackberry Storm.

I have a Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack. It's a 2 parter with space for the DSLR on the bottom (and an extra lens, flash, or other accessories). A section in front of that to hold batteries, flashcards, cables, etc. and then on the top it has a compartment that you can put other stuff in. The top is large enough we can put snacks, water bottles or such in it or I've put an additional lens in it. We've really been pleased with it. I really wanted something that wouldn't be huge (I'm pretty small) but would handle the DSLR with a 5" lens, another lens, flash, and small accessories as well as lunch, drinks, and/or light jacket.

As for cameras, most of the time we just have a little Nikon coolpix that lives in the geobag. It's great for the regular "grab some caches" days as I can't be without a camera but don't always want to take the big one. When it comes to trips with nice scenic hikes/places though, the backpack goes along!