Consensus please

What is the consensus of logging your own caches as finds? I have a few friends who have done this, and I am torn. I see where it is construed as taboo, but I see the argument that you found the spot. I don't but what does everyone else think?

I don't do it because it doesn't make sense to me.

Edit : Adopted caches are different. It might appear you have a find in your own cache, if you found it before you adopted it. Or even after.

Edit 2 : Someone else mentioned, a while back, that two geocachers share their account. Cacher A hid the cache and cacher B found it, logging it online.

Edited by Chrysalides

When I first saw the subject of this thread, I laughed. A consensus, here?!? Never gonna happen. But once I saw your question, I knew immediately that this was a first. No... you never, ever ever* log a find on your own cache.

*actually, confession time: I did. Once. But only after somebody moved a very tricky micro hide about 15 feet away and I spent a couple of days re-finding it. I also logged a DNF on it. Of course, the whole thing was done in jest.

If you want a consensus the answer is no, you don't do it. You know where it is so how do you find it? Would you hide your car keys under your couch cushion then claim that you found them?

There is one generally accepted exception. Many people log finds on caches that they later adopt. I don't think anybody would see letting that find stand as inappropriate.

In more of a grey area are people who share an account and one hides it and another finds it, but in those cases it's usually best to have separate accounts if only to avoid the stigma attached to logging your own finds.

Some people will log finds on caches that they helped hide but were listed under their partner's account. That is a bit more controversial. Some see that as a legit find and others see it as numbers pumping.

In the end what constitutes a find is between you and the cache owner. If you are the cache owner then nobody else can tell you that you can't log a find on your cache, but don't be surprised if you become the subject of ridicule if you do it.

Edited by briansnat

I dont do it, lets be clear about that, I personally dont agree with it, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. I have told said friends not to, but they say, "I found the spot, so why not"

geocaching isn't about finding spots, it's about finding caches.

or do you also log somebody else's cache as found if you just found the spot (i.e. GZ), but not the cache?

Edit : Adopted caches are different. It might appear you have a find in your own cache, if you found it before you adopted it. Or even after.

Edit 2 : Someone else mentioned, a while back, that two geocachers share their account. Cacher A hid the cache and cacher B found it, logging it online.

I agree with Chrysalides... very well put.

I also want to add. To me this is a game that you get out of it what you put into it. Is it really worth the smiley to log something that you hid? Where is the challenge or the fun in that? I guess *technically* you could log a find on your own cache, but wouldn't you rather spend the energy finding something that someone else hid? Much more rewarding in my book. I hope that no one is that attached to the numbers to do such a thing.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

geocaching isn't about finding spots, it's about finding caches.

or do you also log somebody else's cache as found if you just found the spot (i.e. GZ), but not the cache?

My sentiments exactly.

Plus, you already get credit for the cache in your Hides column.

Just tacky and numbers-pumping to Find your own hides.

If you do it the kids will laugh at you behind your back

Some will indeed!

The rest will do it in your face and and resist the urge to slap you in the back of the head and call you names like Mentally Challenged. :grin:

Ok only some more will.

The rest laugh in your face, not resist the urge and call ya retard. :unsure:

Ok only some more will but the rest will be the ones that have to put up with the ridicule too. B)

Yet another case where it makes sense (to me anyway, asking for consensus here is a fool's mission) is when you develop a challenge cache and have no advantage over others in meeting the challenge. I've done two of these, logged both as finds, but in neither case was I even in the running for FTF. One took me a year and a half to complete, the other nearly a year.

Edward

I agree with Chrysalides... very well put.

i don't even agree with teams logging their own hides, at the end of the day it just looks like the owner logged it

we have two separate accounts, and when one of us makes a hide, we use both our names, although it links to one only

we each could have left them under one name only and easily log each others hides, but it wouldn't be right

This game is not about finding 'spots'. It is about finding caches.

To my knowledge there is no way to log the finding of a spot.

you should have left the quotes around the first statement

Yet another case where it makes sense (to me anyway, asking for consensus here is a fool's mission) is when you develop a challenge cache and have no advantage over others in meeting the challenge. I've done two of these, logged both as finds, but in neither case was I even in the running for FTF. One took me a year and a half to complete, the other nearly a year.

not even that makes sense to me. yeah it's a challenge and you met the criteria, but it's still your own challenge with your own rules and criteria. you're making caches (that includes challenge caches) for others to enjoy and to give them something to do. by creating one you automatically opt out of participating. IMO anyway.

then again, i'm not an avid hunter of challenge caches and for the most part can't be bothered by them B)

This game is not about finding 'spots'. It is about finding caches.

Yes there is, it is called listing a new cache.

CO's should be blocked from logging finds on their own caches, but they wont be, because These numerologists will just start up a hiding account.

Call 'em numerologists cause they will lend some mystical significance to a number that isn't.

Well it is at least mystifying that they would because of how many of us save TFTC for the mundane caches and refuse to log the terrible ones. B)

As for challenge caches, if a CO should be allowed to log it after meeting the challenge without ridicule even tho they know where the cache was in the first place, then I should be able to avoid ridicule if I log a found it without meeting the challenge.

Here in my neck of the woods we like hiking in the mountains together and might find an awesome spot we would like to show others. One would place the cache and show in the title that A & B hid it, but it is listed by A. In this case I find it acceptable that B logs a find sometime after FTF and in doing that it is more to say "I have been there, had that experience and signed the logbook". I would consider it silly for either B to look the other way while the cache is hidden and then "find" it straight away, or to do the significant hike again only to log a legitimate find. B states in their log "I was part of the group that did this hike and accompanied A while he/she hid the cache" so the facts are stated up front.

In this case it is more about sharing the experience than logging the find. If you are into numbers then doing high terrain significant hikes that take quite a long time is a very slow way of clocking up numbers. I agree that the person who listed the cache should not log a find. An adopted cache is different as that is not the original person who listed the cache.

Sooooooooo,

Suppose you develop a challenge ... find a cache in all counties in a given state ... would it be appropriate to do the challenge then claim the find in such an instance?

Opinions please

Nope.

Post a note stating you have completed it or find/wait for someone else to issue said challenge for their area or 512' from yours that you didn't help place. Tho my opinion on placements with identical challenge criteria should be 100 miles apart.

HAHAHA a challenge powertrail, all with the same criteria. You can never log a ToG cache. B)

Re: "Edit 2 : Someone else mentioned, a while back, that two geocachers share their account. Cacher A hid the cache and cacher B found it, logging it online."

I don't agree with this one. If two people are acting as one (one account), then what one does is as if both did it. We call that a community property state!

The account holds the hide - so the account doesn't get the find.

So far, the only exception I see viable is the "adoption" one.

What is the consensus of logging your own caches as finds? I have a few friends who have done this, and I am torn. I see where it is construed as taboo, but I see the argument that you found the spot. I don't but what does everyone else think?

It happens most often among new cachers and the elderly. I don't really think anyone does it to boost their find count, it's just a mislogged Owner Maintenence. It shouldn't "tear" anyone up, as find counts are not really important anyhow.

Sooooooooo,

Suppose you develop a challenge ... find a cache in all counties in a given state ... would it be appropriate to do the challenge then claim the find in such an instance?

Opinions please

A challenge is different. It is very easy to create a challenge, and difficult to complete. Finding your own cache is a little cheesy. But completeing a challenge is difficult, with only the very last find (which would be yours), being easy.

Some people will log finds on caches that they helped hide but were hidden under another account. That is more of a grey area. Some see that as a legit find and others see it as numbers pumping.

In the end what constitutes a find is between you and the cache owner. If you are the cache owner then nobody else can tell you that you can't log a find on your cache, but don't be surprised if you become the subject of ridicule if you do it.

Not to revive a horse with a near death experience but I asked the account holder for the TotG caches why all those involved in hiding the caches for the trail logged them as finds. I am aware with the site limitation which only allows the account holder which submitted the listing to get "credit" for the find, but logging over 600 finds because you were part of a team and couldn't get hide credits for all of them so you log 600+ finds instead is, to me, ultimately cheesy, yet nobody ridiculed them for doing it.

I have told said friends not to, but they say, "I found the spot, so why not"

Perhaps you could remind them the game is called "Geocaching", not "Gepspotting".

In this game we hunt caches, not spots. B)

I think that's called "Waymarking". :unsure:

...so you log 600+ finds instead is, to me, ultimately cheesy, yet nobody ridiculed them for doing it.

I did! :grin:

Some people will log finds on caches that they helped hide but were hidden under another account. That is more of a grey area. Some see that as a legit find and others see it as numbers pumping.

Not to revive a horse with a near death experience but I asked the account holder for the TotG caches why all those involved in hiding the caches for the trail logged them as finds. I am aware with the site limitation which only allows the account holder which submitted the listing to get "credit" for the find, but logging over 600 finds because you were part of a team and couldn't get hide credits for all of them so you log 600+ finds instead is, to me, ultimately cheesy, yet nobody ridiculed them for doing it.

I hope you don't have me on ignore. I've made about 5 or 6 wisecracks about it in various threads. Should I escalate to ridicule? B)

Yet another case where it makes sense (to me anyway, asking for consensus here is a fool's mission) is when you develop a challenge cache and have no advantage over others in meeting the challenge....

You may not have an advantage in meeting the challenge but you certainly have an advantage in finding the cache. You put it there.

Sooooooooo, Suppose you develop a challenge ... find a cache in all counties in a given state ... would it be appropriate to do the challenge then claim the find in such an instance? Opinions please

I still wouldn't log a find. It doesn't matter if the challenge is finding a cache in every county ahead of time or negotiating 4 star terrain to reach the cache site, it's still my cache and I know where it is, so how can I find it?.

Edited by briansnat

One point no one mentioned is that it can boost your FTF count.

Just think... FTF can be a thing of the past for anyone but the owners if all CO's followed this proceedure.

My vote is with the majority.

there is no such thing as "FTF count", its not official, just something created amongst cachers

I once hid the keys to my fire safe,you know,in a place so I would never forget where they are..Three months later I couldnt remember where I hid them.Four months after that I found them right where I hid them.I was thrilled to find them,but did feel the need to brag about it.I dont think anyone would have been impressed with finding my own keys right where I hid them. B) I should have used my GPS to hide them :unsure:

Yet another case where it makes sense (to me anyway, asking for consensus here is a fool's mission) is when you develop a challenge cache and have no advantage over others in meeting the challenge.

Sure, meet the challenge. Add your bookmarked list to the others on the cache page. You can certainly meet the challenge - but you can't really find the cache.

i say go for it. the malicious me says that when i finally put a cache out... i'm going to sign the log first... huge FTF covering the entire first page of the log - then not log the find online until the appropriate number of FTF hounds in this area have had a chance to run out at 5:30 in the morning racing to it.

To the OP, I don't currently have any finds on caches that I own, but I can imagine a few scenarios in which I might choose to do so.

Other people's criteria of when it would be acceptable to log their own caches is certainly different than mine and that is perfectly OK. I could care less if someone decides to make such a log on any cache that they own.

Sooooooooo,

Opinions please

I would certainly have no problem with such a log and might possibly choose to make such a log if I owned a challenge cache.

Personally I thought it was laughable. "I'm gonna get together with some friends and hide a boatload of caches. Then I am going to log them all." How is that NOT an excuse to pad your numbers? Now, if they are logging the ones that their buddies hid it isn't quite so bad. Me? I wouldn't log 'em as finds if I was involved in the project.