Is this an appropriate note to post on a cache

joespaz

Last time I visited this cache was April 27, 2004. It had been on an all night trip around the bay area to gather TB's to take to an event I was hosting. Boy how things have changed in this game. This time I spent the whole day, over 12 hours, just visiting caches in the Tri-Valley area. I wanted to find as many TB's as possible to take to the F.A.M .E. "Travel Bug Photo Shoot." (visit link)

TODAY'S VISIT: I parked behind the local businesses as it was quite busy around here today. I took the relaxing walk down the trail listening to the water as it ran by below me. There were a few muggles on the trail, so I slowed down to time my arrival just right. Once I was a GZ making the grab wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I guess since my last visit was almost 6 years ago and the fact that I was in the dark that time prevented me from remembering clearly where the cache was. I only found one of the TB's that were listed in the inventory of the cache. "Primary Response" (visit link) I will take the TB to the event and see if we can find someone to help it achieve its goal.

I have been told by two people now that this note is not clear. That it doesn't show that I actually visited the cache again. "you just don t say that you did anything with or related to the actual cache."

Is there something wrong with my English? I thought think I am making quite clear that I visited the cache today.

I added the words "TODAY'S VISIT" at 9:09pm, thinking that would clarify the situation...is that enough?

Edited by joespaz

That is a perfect note to post on a repeat visit.

What "exactly" are people saying is wrong with this note? And are these people the CO? If not, who gives a rip what they say.

This is what I was told in an email by the CO:

"As it currently stands it is just a random note, not a find and has no bearing in anything. would you like me to post random notes to your caches? I could post things like: I was in fremont today or the sky is blue. you just don t say that you did anything with or related to the actual cache."

Also I was told that because I mention my previous visit first, some people might think the whole log is about my previous visit, or about my day in the area. That's why I added the words "TODAY'S VISIT:" but it has been suggested that i change that to "TODAY'S VISIT HERE:"

I don't see any problem with the note. Sure, you didn't give a play by play, but, c'mon, it doesn't take too much deep thinking to infer that between "...remembering clearly where the cache was." and "I only found one of the TB's..." you found the cache.

This is posted as a note, right? Never knew that someone would have an issue with a note... and I was doubly surprised when I found out who the CO is.

After reading post #5, I suspect there is much more to this story, but that's OK, I don't really need to know.

Edited by Chrysalides

When I revisit a cache, I use the word "Revisit" (or "maintenance visit"), both on the physical log and online. Sometimes that's the first word of my log, but not always.

Your log contains the words "This time" at the beginning of the fourth phrase, making it clear (for me) that from that point onward I'm reading about the second visit.

Probably those cachers who replied can't grasp the concept of someone revisiting a cache, or expect to see "Found it" logs even for revisits. They saw your note and thought you were rambling, even before reading your log.

I also find this totally odd. You posted a meaningful post describing your experience. I'm very happy with posts like that on my cache pages. It's also perfectly obvious that you visited the cache. Color me extremely confused.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Unless there is something more to the story it looks like a perfectly acceptable note for a re visit.

I'm with Brian and the deuce on this one. I rarely give a play by play on many of my logs. Instead I prefer to channel my inner Oregone and provide some creative prose. I doubt I will ever achieve his level of quality logsmanship, but I try.

No one has ever complained yet, although I did have a DNF on a disabled cache deleted recently. <_<

Edited by wimseyguy

Last time I visited this cache was April 27, 2004. It had been on an all night trip around the bay area to gather TB's to take to an event I was hosting. Boy how things have changed in this game. This time I spent the whole day, over 12 hours, just visiting caches in the Tri-Valley area. I wanted to find as many TB's as possible to take to the F.A.M .E. "Travel Bug Photo Shoot." (visit link)

TODAY'S VISIT: I parked behind the local businesses as it was quite busy around here today. I took the relaxing walk down the trail listening to the water as it ran by below me. There were a few muggles on the trail, so I slowed down to time my arrival just right. Once I was a GZ making the grab wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I guess since my last visit was almost 6 years ago and the fact that I was in the dark that time prevented me from remembering clearly where the cache was. I only found one of the TB's that were listed in the inventory of the cache. "Primary Response" (visit link) I will take the TB to the event and see if we can find someone to help it achieve its goal.

I have been told by two people now that this note is not clear. That it doesn't show that I actually visited the cache again. "you just don t say that you did anything with or related to the actual cache."

Is there something wrong with my English? I thought think I am making quite clear that I visited the cache today.

I added the words "TODAY'S VISIT" at 9:09pm, thinking that would clarify the situation...is that enough?

A fair amount of my logs don't even mention the cache at all. However to answer your question. The issue is a comprehension problem on the part of the people calling the visit into question. I've highlighted in red the clues you put that add up to "yes I did freaking visit the cache, thank you very much". Oh and adding "Todays Visit" won't actually help with the problem as it's just as cryptic as the other clues you dropped. "Todays Visit where I found and opened the cache and removed a TB to help it on it's goal" is what its going to take to help the comprehension.

Good luck out there.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Did you log a second find on the same cache? I never do that. In any case, if you logged a find, it's fairly obvious you found it- you don't need to say so. We have a lot of cachers visit our area who don't speak/ write English very well, and their logs can be hard to understand, but the smiley face tells me they found the cache. Even the ones that just write "TFTC" (my pet hate too).

Keep up with the interesting logs, and ignore the CO who needs to get a life.

I guess some people just don't like 'cluttered' cache pages? I can understand that for logs of 'dropped TB', or 'HA! Solved your puzzle'. But, you clearly revisited the cache, so I can see no objection.

Uh oh, I usually make a separate log for TBs that I drop. The reason is that I log my find in the field from my iPhone and can't drop the TB from the iPhone, so I have to wait til I get home to do so. Should I wait til I get home to log the find and drop the TB at the same time? I'm still new, so didn't know this was a breach of etiquette. LOL.

Uh oh, I usually make a separate log for TBs that I drop. The reason is that I log my find in the field from my iPhone and can't drop the TB from the iPhone, so I have to wait til I get home to do so. Should I wait til I get home to log the find and drop the TB at the same time? I'm still new, so didn't know this was a breach of etiquette. LOL.

If you can avoid doing this, it's better. Most paperless caching stuff, and, for that matter, printed cache pages, only show the last five logs. If the last five logs include three bug drops, that's not very helpful to people who are looking through the logs.

I wish Groundspeak would let us edit our logs to include bug drops.

If you can avoid doing this, it's better. Most paperless caching stuff, and, for that matter, printed cache pages, only show the last five logs. If the last five logs include three bug drops, that's not very helpful to people who are looking through the logs.

Since you can't Drop the bug using your iPhone the additional log is absolutely acceptable. I really don't want to continue a topic drift here so let me know if I should open a thread to discuss it.

I wouldn't say that I am suprised based on what the CO said about it. In MY experience around here I have had trouble with a couple of people with a lot of finds (though not near as many as that CO) so I kind of expect it. With that said, I have never met that particular cacher so it would either be that my expectations would be spot on or there is more to the story, like maybe some kind of history between the two of them.

Notice I bolded the MY in the second sentence so you don't have to flame on me like I was speaking for everyone. I have had a couple of problems from some of the big finders in the past who think they are great so I somewhat expect it until I have some kind of communication with them and I find out otherwise.

So do I. In the meantime a workaround is to post a note for a bug drop, then immediately delete the note. That will not affect bug mileage. The CO and any watchers will still receive email notification, of course.

It seems pretty clear to me what happened...and I've got a six-pack in me! :rolleyes:

So do I. In the meantime a workaround is to post a note for a bug drop, then immediately delete the note. That will not affect bug mileage. The CO and any watchers will still receive email notification, of course.

Ahhh, didn't think of that! Thanks for the tip. It's so obvious now. :rolleyes: Ok, I'm done hijacking this tread. Sorry to get of topic.

nothing wrong with the note. nothing wrong with it even before you edited it. nothing wrong with collecting TB's and coins to take to an event or on a trip, although some bug/coin owners ask that their items not be taken to events as they seem to disappear faster that way.

That is a perfect note to post on a repeat visit.

What "exactly" are people saying is wrong with this note? And are these people the CO? If not, who gives a rip what they say.

This is what I was told in an email by the CO:

"As it currently stands it is just a random note, not a find and has no bearing in anything. would you like me to post random notes to your caches? I could post things like: I was in fremont today or the sky is blue. you just don t say that you did anything with or related to the actual cache."

Also I was told that because I mention my previous visit first, some people might think the whole log is about my previous visit, or about my day in the area. That's why I added the words "TODAY'S VISIT:" but it has been suggested that i change that to "TODAY'S VISIT HERE:"

Your log is not very user friendly towards grumpy people who have reading comprehension issues. :)

I didn't exactly read all of it, but may I suggest a logging sensitivity course? :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I think the issue has to do with the fact that you were still advertising your Event after specifically being asked by Grounspeak to stop spamming Listings in this way. Since your Event took place a month ago it seems somewhat of a mute point although I could understand someone deleting that log entry based on the first paragraph. The rest of it seems fine :)

I think the issue has to do with the fact that you were still advertising your Event after specifically being asked by Grounspeak to stop spamming Listings in this way. Since your Event took place a month ago it seems somewhat of a mute point although I could understand someone deleting that log entry based on the first paragraph. The rest of it seems fine :)

huh, interesting.

huh, interesting.

Intersting, indeed. I do remember that thread now that you mention it.

I think the issue has to do with the fact that you were still advertising your Event after specifically being asked by Grounspeak to stop spamming Listings in this way. Since your Event took place a month ago it seems somewhat of a mute point although I could understand someone deleting that log entry based on the first paragraph. The rest of it seems fine :wub:

huh, interesting.

Intersting, indeed. I do remember that thread now that you mention it.

I suppose you guys are assuming that the note was recently written?? The note was written in mid February...Before all of that HooHa. So, I guess we assume that the guy is still running around posting notes advertising an event that's gone??

After talking with the CO it is quite clear that he and I had a big misunderstanding. This thread was not started so that people could try to attack the CO.

It was meant to get a variety of opinions on the clarity of the note, and weather or note it indicated that I had "revisited" the cache on the date I was posting this note (which was 2/16/10 if you want to know).

As it turns out when the CO said the note was unrelated and random he was talking about my previous note on the cache page. Then in a conversation with another cacher friend of mine, my friend insisted that some people might think the above note referred to my visit in 2004, and therefore I should edit it further. I was quite clear that the note was good as is, so I posted it here to get other opinions.

If I have learned anything from this experience it is that I should stop assuming things as it seems to just cause more tension and bad feelings. I'll let you all decide if this applies to you to.

Thanks for all the input, I, the CO, and my friend all think the above note is quite clear and quite appropriate, and most of you agree.

After talking with the CO it is quite clear that he and I had a big misunderstanding. This thread was not started so that people could try to attack the CO.

It was meant to get a variety of opinions on the clarity of the note, and weather or note it indicated that I had "revisited" the cache on the date I was posting this note (which was 2/16/10 if you want to know).

As it turns out when the CO said the note was unrelated and random he was talking about my previous note on the cache page. Then in a conversation with another cacher friend of mine, my friend insisted that some people might think the above note referred to my visit in 2004, and therefore I should edit it further. I was quite clear that the note was good as is, so I posted it here to get other opinions.

If I have learned anything from this experience it is that I should stop assuming things as it seems to just cause more tension and bad feelings. I'll let you all decide if this applies to you to.

Thanks for all the input, I, the CO, and my friend all think the above note is quite clear and quite appropriate, and most of you agree.

The OP asked that the topic be closed. Sounds like things came to a conclusion also. Glad you worked it out.