How Many FTFs Do You Have?

zuma!

Just curious how many FTFs folks have, and thought it would be interesting to start a thread to discuss FTFs and how many folks have. I know FTF is not an official or verifiable statistic, yet for many of us it is fun to go after FTFs and keep track of how many we have. Just another element of the game, that some of us find fun.

As far as I know, Chuy! in San Diego has the most, with 1194 FTFs.

I put all my FTFs in a bookmark list to make it easy to track them, and now have 946 FTFs.

So, what about you? How many?

zuma

Zero for me (237 total finds).

Maybe if I got one I'd get hooked and want more; but as yet I'm generally not motivated to get them. Most of them in my area are found within an hour of them being posted; I just don't get excited about racing others to the cache. (Other than as a way to meet other cachers!).

The one time I really wanted to get a FTF was when I noticed a fairly difficult puzzle cache, which had not been found (2 weeks or so after publication). I wanted to get that one, to be the first to figure it out. But a week or so later, someone beat me to it. Eventually (a month or so later), I figured it out, and got second to find. I was still happy, as solving it was a challange for me.

Mark

:D "Each find is a first (for me)" - except for those occasions where I paw through the log and find "Isonzo Karst" already on it. Pity about the memory .... along with my knees, it's weak and pathetic

I do keep a MEFF list and it's at 280. I used to run around 10% of finds as FTF, but now I'll often deliberately wait for another cacher to get there first. I figure it's a more of a thrill to some other cacher, I'm over it. Mostly..

I'm not generally a chaser of FTFs, but every once in a while if I get a new cache publication while I'm looking in my E-Mail inbox then I'll sometimes get bit by the FTF bug and dash off in hunt of blank log books. I've only got 9 FTFs in a little over 500 finds so that percentage is pretty low. However, if you take into consideration that I've only set out trying to get a FTF on 11 occasions that would mean that when I do try I'm successful at getting the FTF about 82% of the time. So although it's not anything I do on a regular basis sometimes I feel I just have to go running out the door. Happy caching! :D

:D "Each find is a first (for me)" - except for those occasions where I paw through the log and find "Isonzo Karst" already on it. Pity about the memory .... along with my knees, it's weak and pathetic

I do keep a MEFF list and it's at 280. I used to run around 10% of finds as FTF, but now I'll often deliberately wait for another cacher to get there first. I figure it's a more of a thrill to some other cacher, I'm over it. Mostly..

Yeah, me too, I'm over it. Since about 2005 actually. That's an excellent point, let some newbs get a thrill. In addition to being over it, I got kind of soured on the whole thing when some then newbs in my area got crazy competitive and obnoxious over the whole thing. Holy cow, they're like old timers now. :D

I think IK is on to something. I think most FTF hounds "get over it" after a while. I think it's pretty rare to see someone who runs out trying to be FTF on all the caches in their area every time since 2004 or something. I'm sure these people exist somewhere though.

I have 4. The first 3 just happened and were fun, but a surprise. The last one I actually went for and it was a bit of a rush to make it and be first. Beat the STF by just 10 minutes, I later found out. It's fairly competitive to get them in my area and I can see why it would be fun for some.

We have about 25, but we sure did experience the curve in going to look for them. We could care less now, unless it pops up right at the doorstep, is not out in the boonies, the weather's decent, we're not in our "evening ware", there's nothing on TV, the real FTF'ers are out of town, the hider is reliable, there's a geocoin as an FTF prize... I think y'all get the picture.

Just curious how many FTFs folks have, and thought it would be interesting to start a thread to discuss FTFs and how many folks have. I know FTF is not an official or verifiable statistic, yet for many of us it is fun to go after FTFs and keep track of how many we have. Just another element of the game, that some of us find fun.

I put all my FTFs in a bookmark list to make it easy to track them, and now have 946 FTFs.

zuma

Hey are you the guys who were on Law & Order?

:D

I can count them all on one hand. Maybe six or seven.

LOL

My BlueDuece "What big hands you have"

LOL!

I have none, but I just started caching. I'd like to be FTF someday but I don't have a premium account yet and am not that motivated to do it just so I can race out against the more experienced who are probably going to get there first if they want to anyway. I think it would depend on what the prize is and how close it is before I'd head out after one specifically to be FTF. I get thrilled and excited going for any cache, any time, so I can't say that it would affect me that much more.

Been geocaching in southwestern Ontario (Canada) for two years now. Currently at 15 FTF s with a handful of 2nd and 3rd to finds as well. If close to home, yes, I consider going after a FTF; however I have seen a FTF potential cache pop up within a few blocks of home on the inbox and just sat in the chair and then gone out two or three days later to find the cache. Even then I can be the second or third to find. Just to make things interesting there are times I obtain a FTF very shortly after the cache is published and I may not log the find electronically for 8 hours or more due to other circumstances or for at least a few hours. Some may think this cruel but it gives others the thrill of dashing off hoping for a FTF. I figure never is more discouraging than the person who has a cache published, a FTF is logged and no other cachers come along for days. On occasion I rush out and there is an informal "event cache" taking place among those hoping for the FTF - always fun to meet, greet and share stories.

zuma

I have over 150, but there are a few that have more than me. But I think the most in our immediate area is about 225.

As for why I go after them, I enjoy the challenge, and tend to meet a lot of people at some of these makeshift on-the-spot events(I go even when I know I'm not going to be FTF). One cache in Sterling, Virginia got 10 visits within the first 30 minutes, here's the picture to prove it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0f-6559d3f3b007

Edited by reedkickball

I like the challenge of a difficult puzzle, so whenever one of those pops up I'll try like mad to be FTF.

It's also fun to try to beat out some of my other caching friends to a find on the day it's published. Just today at lunch I met up with a fellow cacher while trying to be first. I knew we really didn't have a chance though, it had been published for over an hour and by the time we found it we were 6th and 7th to find.

I only have 40 FTF, the original poster has more FTF than I have finds. :D

I got 40 or so ...don't really try for em anymore...we have a guy here in the area who is alerted by phone each time one is published. He must have 300 or more.......so to make it more fun more him I hid 14 about 12 miles up in the mountains and released 2 a day for a week...drove him crazy...... :D:(