OS Maps on Cache Pages (with Greasemonkey)

I have just finished making changes to the Map Substituter script and am pleased to announce version 1.3.0.

I am trying to build this into more of a generic maps substituter, so will eventually allow maps to be shown from many different providers. For the moment, it currently only displays maps from the Ordnance Survey (50k scale), and OpenStreetMap (just because I want to spread the word of their excellent work some more!)

I will accept requests for more providers - I can probably add just about any that is requested.

The Geocaching Map Substituter (formally Enhanced OS Map Substituter) is a user script for Greasemonkey (Mozilla Firefox v2+)

It aims to replace the static Yahoo map on cache pages with an interactive slippy map that offers a selection of different map layers to view. (At the time of publishing this includes: Ordnance Survey OpenSpace, OS New Popular Edition (1940s), and OpenStreetMap)

If there are any feature regressions, bugs, other issues, please feel free to post here, this is almost a complete rewrite, so I expect there to be bugs!

You should probably uninstall the Geocaching Enhanced OS Map Substituter before installing this.

Install from http://edgemaster.geocache.org.uk/geocachingmaps.user.js

Please note that the link on edgemaster.geocache.org.uk is always current.

(Thanks to StuartP for setting me up with some webspace)

Edited by mandarin

I was just thinking about this yesterday afternoon and wondering what was happening then this morning - BINGO- the new one arrives.

Many thanks for all the hard work I can't decide which is my favourite GM script - this one or the ignore forum thread one.

edited for finger trouble

Edited by Just Roger

:ph34r: Same probs here.

Are you all on a Virgin connection?

I was getting "server not found" errors last night, so Edgey kindly gave me a mirror address which worked, though I still get the errors, but at least the box appears.

I'd imagine when Virgin have fixed all their issues it'll work fine.

I was getting "server not found" errors last night, so Edgey kindly gave me a mirror address which worked, though I still get the errors, but at least the box appears.

We are not on a Virgin connection.

It is slightly reassuring that others are experiencing similar concerns.

Hope somebody can help SOON :(

We are not on a Virgin connection.

It is slightly reassuring that others are experiencing similar concerns.

Hope somebody can help SOON :P

Ditto here - I get a url not found message :(

I thought maybe I was just lucky but if I go to click the link for the new script it still works. Maybe a problem your ISP? have you tried switching off and back on again? :ph34r: Router / modem and your PC?

As I say, the link is working for me so its not a problem for Edgemaster. FYI - my ISP is Plusnet.

For peeps having problems, I've taken the liberty of downloading the script file (any probs Edgemaster, let me know and I shall remove it, its your work!) and uploading it to my ISP space. The file can be found here.

http://www.scottpa100.plus.com/geo/geocachingmaps.user.js

Have just restarted our Computer and we have Greasemonkey :)

Tried the above file but alas still no map :ph34r::)

Do hope someone can get the map up and working for us soon ;)

Edited by Write and Mane

For peeps having problems, I've taken the liberty of downloading the script file (any probs Edgemaster, let me know and I shall remove it, its your work!) and uploading it to my ISP space. The file can be found here.

http://www.scottpa100.plus.com/geo/geocachingmaps.user.js

That one works - many thanks ;)

Now to go and play with the new script...

Work? What's that?? :)

Whoops, spoke too soon :)

The script installed OK but now I get the url error within the map window. Maybe my IT dept are playing silly bu**ers... :ph34r:

I will try it at home this evening.

For those techies that know what I'm on about, its might be because the DNS hasn't yet propagated, it should be working fully within the week.

JeremyR: Link now fixed.

bcnorwich: I'll add this into the next version release.

XopherN71: Yes, I'll modify the first post, it also probably doesn't state that it's currently only designed to work with UK caches at the moment, I'll try and get more global support in the next version.

Scottpa100: Since the script now (unfortunately) requires a server side page to function (due to OS referrer limitations :ph34r:), mirroring the greasemonkey part will only solve half of the connection issue. As noted above, it should fix itself soon, hopefully.

I added in 2 extra lines, in order to limit the use to UK / IoM. That way there's no need to disable the script for caches in areas outside OS area. Maybe there's other countries to to add to the list (Jersey/Guernsey/Ireland?). Not sure if it's working properly, since it seems the normal GC provided mappy thing is bust? (I get empty box, even when script disabled)

Feel free to use it, and improve it. I just added it in the "If any of this fails, return without doing anything to the page" section.

var country = document.getElementById("Location");
if (!((country.innerHTML == "In United Kingdom")||(country.innerHTML == "In Isle of Man"))) return;

For those techies that know what I'm on about, its might be because the DNS hasn't yet propagated, it should be working fully within the week.

Yay! That makes sense. But try telling users that. We tell them switch their computer off and back on again. But 'they' don't realise that its flushing their DNS cache, maybe reallocating a new DHCP lease and making their computer review their ACLs!

Cheers Edge.

I added in 2 extra lines, in order to limit the use to UK / IoM. That way there's no need to disable the script for caches in areas outside OS area. Maybe there's other countries to to add to the list (Jersey/Guernsey/Ireland?). Not sure if it's working properly, since it seems the normal GC provided mappy thing is bust? (I get empty box, even when script disabled)

Feel free to use it, and improve it. I just added it in the "If any of this fails, return without doing anything to the page" section.

var country = document.getElementById("Location");
if (!((country.innerHTML == "In United Kingdom")||(country.innerHTML == "In Isle of Man"))) return;

Yeah, I had this code in the old version, had intended to move it to the server-side portion of the code, to determine what map layer to show based on coordinates. But I kinda forgot... I'll update the server code when I get a chance.

Hey, as The Hornet I can see the maps again unlike when using my reviewer account. Every cloud has a silver lining. :drama::D

The reviewer version was in the pipeline, does Deci use greasemonkey? Should I continue supporting a reviewer version?

Yes Edgy, please do, Deci would sure appreciate it, and thanks kidder for everything - here's looking at you :DB)

I was thrilled to see the new script for OS maps.

Not sure what I've done but it's not working and I can only see the 1940's maps and open street maps versions.

I uninstalled the previous script and something else that mentioned maps (Didn't note the name) before installing. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but same result.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong, Edgemaster?

Bambography said his worked brilliantly straight away.

Any help gratefully received.

Not sure what I've done but it's not working and I can only see the 1940's maps and open street maps versions.

Was it saying 'Tile cannot be displayed' by any chance?

This happens when the site has outrun it's quota of images from the OS (currently this is set to 30,000 per day), the only option is to wait until midnight to use the main OS layer.

I'll start monitoring the tile usage to see if I need to resolve the situation.

Was it saying 'Tile cannot be displayed' by any chance?

This happens when the site has outrun it's quota of images from the OS (currently this is set to 30,000 per day), the only option is to wait until midnight to use the main OS layer.

I'll start monitoring the tile usage to see if I need to resolve the situation.

It did, But Chris - Bambography installed after me and had no trouble, So I didn't think that would be the problem.

Just tried again. 00.50 am and still no luck. Will look again tomorrow.

Night

Still the same this morning and I've updated Grease monkey in case that was the problem.

Edited by Cassie's Crusaders