World Diabetes Day Geocoins

Cornerstone4

Official notice:

In case earlier posters haven't read through the subsequent posts - the wording was corrected/changed on the "How do I participate?" page to reflect that these coins are meant to travel, not be kept.

Personal opinion:

I agree with those who have said to keep these as travelers. If you want to donate, do so. Minting another metal would only confuse people who wouldn't be able to figure out which was a keeper and which was a traveler. Maybe a set of folks in here could tell, but not the masses. Look at how much trouble we have in here trying to determine which metal was the LE, AE, XLE, etc.

Hey we got one of these today. I requested them under the kid's names and my daughter just came back in and said "Hey mommy I got mail from Groundspeak!!" She was so excited. She's going to call her Grandma, who is a diabetic, and tell her all about it.

Nice coin! Thanks Groundspeak for making a little kid happy. We look forward to finding a great cache to release it into probably on World Diabetes Day. :laughing:

8a19c346-6b2c-48ac-a729-edeae0663987.jpg

Edited by GPX Navigators

As this is a gc.com sponsored promotion the geocoin is already activated. You just 'grab' the bug to put it into your inventory.

Simply access this page

http://www.geocaching.com/track/

Enter in the tracking code printed on the coin. Access the coin page and under type of log select “Grab it” to put it into your inventory.

If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the coin, and the geocoin number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D geocoin tracking# problem" as your subject line.

And now I am merging this with the Unite For Diabetes Coin thread where all the rest of the discussion is taking place.

just received my wdd today and thank goodness for the forum because i was able to figure it out without having to ask how to activate

thanks to all for having the same questions and concerns

i did notice that they are no longer available, glad i requested mine when i did

i am new to all of this and i am learning as i go

c91d4d52-77ec-44ed-8b60-073fa2157dc2.jpg

Well we accomplished our first goal.

Our Grandma was 92 Yesterday and it was also Veterans Day.

So we are trying to tie several things together in one coin.

Granny was also A Rosie the Riveter during the World War.

She also gave me her Diabetic Medallion which is older than most of us here.

What a great gift.

I have added images to the coin to further spread the news about Diabetes.

Thanks goes to all who have made this Nation what it is.

Can't wait to see the logs for this one along the way.

We will release it on the 14th.

c91d4d52-77ec-44ed-8b60-073fa2157dc2.jpg

Well we accomplished our first goal.

Our Grandma was 92 Yesterday and it was also Veterans Day.

So we are trying to tie several things together in one coin.

Granny was also A Rosie the Riveter during the World War.

She also gave me her Diabetic Medallion which is older than most of us here.

What a great gift.

I have added images to the coin to further spread the news about Diabetes.

Thanks goes to all who have made this Nation what it is.

Can't wait to see the logs for this one along the way.

We will release it on the 14th.

Happy birthday to a beautiful grandmother! I'm sure you will treasure the medallion forever. Thank you for moving this coin!

Also, these will not be for collecting or trading, they are to be moved from cache to cache to get to their goal.

It clearly states on the site that we can now keep these coins in our collections if we choose to do that. Is the site wrong?

I am glad they got this cleared up on the web page, but made no difference to me as when I requested the coin, it was to be placed and moved.

Coverage is the goal to get the word out.

I am going to show it to everyone at work that I see, then tell them about it, and move it so the next person can spread the word. This is an important issue.

Thanks for picking such a worthy cause.

:unsure:

Edited by Mystery Ink

:lol: Well, this is my very first post in the forums. Was having trouble, anyhoo. I guess I was not quick enough on the draw to fill out the form to get one of these wonderful coins. Oh well, will just have to keep my eye out on the local caches to see if one pops up. My Grandfather had diabetes and it is so great to see things like this to get the word out about it.

Like G.I. Joe says "Knowing is half the battle"

Happy caching everyone.

I wonder... Does every one that requested a coin will receive one? (In that case the form would have disappeared after 500 submissions)

We are distributing 1,500 of the WDD Geocoins to individuals who signed up using the form. The form doesn't disappear after 1,500 submissions because we have to account for duplicate submissions and incomplete addresses. The 1,500 WDD geocoins have been shipped to the first 1,500 complete (non-duplicate) mailing addresses received.

Hamburg, Germany:

Recieved mine yesterday (when I was not at home) and will find a nicely frequented cache so it can "spread the awareness". But I might keep it for 2 more weeks to bring it to a cacher meeting before.

Nonetheless, it is a beautiful coin with a noble mission that should be gifted with a long life.

I hope I made the cut.

You and me both! I "applied" the same day as I saw the post here, and early in the day, too. I just can't imagine that 1500 went that fast!

*crossing fingers and holding thumbs*

Naomi :D

They did 20,000 Travel Bugs and those went fast. This is a Geocoin and the numbers were much smaller.

O, and there used to be a time where you could sell 1500 coins in an hour!

Congratulations to all who were lucky enough to get one!

I missed this one completely as I was out caching the whole day when it was time to sign up for the coin, came back late in the evening and had to pack my things for the weekend-trip, got up very early the next day (to hunt for the Geocoin Fairy) and found out about this one just when I came back on sunday :D But maybe I will find one in a cache someday and can move it along :D

Congratulations to all who were lucky enough to get one!

I missed this one completely as I was out caching the whole day when it was time to sign up for the coin, came back late in the evening and had to pack my things for the weekend-trip, got up very early the next day (to hunt for the Geocoin Fairy) and found out about this one just when I came back on sunday :D But maybe I will find one in a cache someday and can move it along :D

You have mail :D

Got mine in the mail last week and just put it in a new cache today. It's a very simple coin, but very nice nonetheless. And it has a great "heft" to it; I was actually very sorry to see it go. If Groundspeak ever decides to sell a batch of these, I will certainly buy one.

I was a bit surprised to see that it looks somewhat different than its advertised image; I was expecting a gold-toned coin with a convex, lens-like surface with the U4D blue circle on it, etc, etc. Instead, the coin is polished, shiny silver. But it works well too, and all and all is a nice coin.

Got mine in the mail last week and just put it in a new cache today. It's a very simple coin, but very nice nonetheless. And it has a great "heft" to it; I was actually very sorry to see it go. If Groundspeak ever decides to sell a batch of these, I will certainly buy one.

I was a bit surprised to see that it looks somewhat different than its advertised image; I was expecting a gold-toned coin with a convex, lens-like surface with the U4D blue circle on it, etc, etc. Instead, the coin is polished, shiny silver. But it works well too, and all and all is a nice coin.

Interesting, mine isn't polished silver.

I wonder if they sent out different ones?

Naomi :(

As this is a gc.com sponsored promotion the geocoin is already activated. You just 'grab' the bug to put it into your inventory.

Simply access this page

http://www.geocaching.com/track/

Enter in the tracking code printed on the coin. Access the coin page and under type of log select “Grab it” to put it into your inventory.

If you are having trouble logging it, first make sure that the 0s are not Os and the Is are not 1s. If that doesn't work for you, send an email with both the tracking number on the coin, and the geocoin number on the page (if you have it) to contact@Groundspeak.com and put "U4D geocoin tracking# problem" as your subject line.

And now I am merging this with the Unite For Diabetes Coin thread where all the rest of the discussion is taking place.

OK summary:

1. you get a bronze or silver

2. grab it using the tracking number - it's activated already under some illegal sockpuppet account ;)

3. PRINT OUT A TRAVEL NOTE FOR IT and drop it in a cache; I just happen to have one handy

wdd-coin-insert.jpg

4. the website is still dopey - it points to a 'tracking' page you can't actually log the coin on ;) GC notified hopefully they will fix it soon.

Here's the scoop!

Maybe the first WDD coin in the hands of an Olympian?

Took the coin left in my possession to a "do" in Covent Garden, London last evening.

Got it photographed with Sir Steve Redgrave (5 times Gold Olympian UK) and an Honorary Vice President of Diabetes UK. :D

Wiki entry

383e833e-9b13-4780-ab0e-46b140e55ac1.jpg

Sir Steve & the coin.

4eb9a6a2-f16d-4330-9b1b-7cc2bdc0efb2.jpg

Myself, Caesar, Sir Steve and the coin.

Naturally, explained all about geocaching too ;)