5/5 Caches

Arrow One

I'm interested in trying some 5/5 caches, although I've only done one. Instead of searching bookmark lists or state by state, maybe those of you who have done a few, tell me what ones. What ones were your favorites, what ones have'nt been found, what ones do you have on your "to do" list. I'm not looking for out of the USA, but I still would'nt mind hearing about it!

Please share! ;)

I'll agree with Jamie -- most 5/5s are not really 5/5s. Just the other day I was reading a cache description of a 5/5 that basically said that it was an extremely challenging cache that required the person to be in good physical condition but that no special equipment is needed. Hardly a 5-terrain rating. As for the difficulty, well I didn't actually give it a try (it was getting late in the day) but I had just completed a cache by the same cache hider that was rated 3.5/3.5. The container was a nice large ammo can hidden under a pile of sticks. I found it within 4.3 seconds after getting to the co-ordinates. Not what I'd call a 3.5 difficulty. So I am similarly suspicious of the actual difficulty of the 5/5.

The other ones were a bit overrated and I wouldn't consider them a 5/5.

I'd opine that mose 5/5 caches are not really 5/5, as defined in the cache rating system. Be careful you don't get all gung ho for a cache that should really be rated 3/3.5.

Jamie

I've yet to see a true 5/5. Some with very difficult terrain are rated 5/5 even though they are more properly rated 2/5 because once you get there the cache is an easy find.

There are some contributed by Vinny and Sue up in Frederick, MD named Psycho Urban #x for a reason... I haven't been able to get up there for enough of a day to get any, but many of them, including #7 (GCQHBH), #9 (GCTA5E), and #13 (GCY72P) are all rated 5/5. 7 and 13 are members only. Definitely on my TODO list (actually, all of their Psycho Urban list is, hehe).

Happy caching!

Hybridgeek

In The South Jersey Pine Barrens:

Choreographed Chaos This is a 5+/5+ cache.

Cerabral Codex I would rate this one a 9/9. Of the 10 stages, most are a legit 3.5-4.5 terrain rating. There are several paddle to stages.

The puzzle difficulty of many of the stages are above average. Fortunately, the actual hides are pretty straight forward, but there are a few curve balls thrown in there.

There are some contributed by Vinny and Sue up in Frederick, MD named Psycho Urban #x for a reason... I haven't been able to get up there for enough of a day to get any, but many of them, including #7 (GCQHBH), #9 (GCTA5E), and #13 (GCY72P) are all rated 5/5. 7 and 13 are members only. Definitely on my TODO list (actually, all of their Psycho Urban list is, hehe).

Happy caching!

Hybridgeek

Having done all of Vinny and Sue Team's Psycho Caches (still missing one of Sue's Puzzle Caches though) I can tell you that they're ALL fun. I'm sworn to secrecy about a couple of them, but suffice it to say that PUC#13 is a grand cache. Oh. you can see it all right, from about 250' away, but retreiving and replacing the container intact is the key. I think that that cache was foremost in the minds of about a dozen or so cachers in the area until it was finally retreived on a rainy Saturday morning in September. I'm still waiting for word on when someone else will be making an effort. I'd like to watch and help out if asked.

Now, to tackle "Blood and Guts" in Virginia.

Here is a serious 1/5.

(P.S = "Klemmer" is a nickname for the person named in the cache - me!).

Pandora's Box is a very serious 5/5, which I have done (as part of a group). It will take at least several weeks or more to complete, involving 25+ miles of hiking, if it is do-able anymore. I'm not sure all the pieces are still in place, although if a group was serious about it, I'm sure the cache owner(s) could fix any broken pieces. I would rate just the FIRST cache location (of about 10 or so) as a 2/5.

Counting Counties in Oregon has been a year-long competition to visit the highest-rated caches (excluding micros and virtuals) in Oregon's 36 counties. That is like doing a monsterous multi-cache of 36+ stages (some of the individual cache are multis and puzzles) over 98,000 square miles. Several of the caches are rated 5/5 although probably only a couple are true to their rating. The maximum possible "score" is 302 (8.4 points per cache on average), achieved by one cacher so far, PMOGUY, although tomfuller is within a half-point and working. A caching couple, Tbird2LM, also did them all but were not able to count ones done before 2006.

A suppose the next logical steps are to do the most difficult cache in each state and then in each country. :)

Glad to see that BigEddy chimed in with Counting Counties in Oregon (GCR9XY). The morning I solved the puzzle of "The Sentinel" I signed on and found out that PMOGUY and Odder had found it the day before.

The next time I go to Portland, I will go and log it since I spent so much time finding TRANS, WILLAMET, ERIC and COURT.

Among the 5/5's I did this year, the most dangerous to do alone were Five Bar and Just Clowning Around.

Just Clowning Around is along the South side of the Rogue river several miles downstream from where Mr. Kim met his demise. It took me 13 hours from 4WD truck to cache and back to truck. I was glad I packed my suunto compass and 6V lantern. No cell service until you're within 3 miles of Merlin.

To get to Five Bar you have to drive 9 miles each way on technical 4WD low range "road" then hike down to the Owyhee river, wade across and hike a little over a mile upstream. The cache itself is not too hard to find once you get there. I and several others posted pictures on these caches.

If you need advice on the toughest caches in Oregon, just ask any of the participants in CCiO.

Our public bookmarks tell quite a story for 2006.

Tom Fuller

Crescent, Oregon

When I tried your link, I got this message from Groundspeak "Sorry, your account does not own this Pocket Query."

Funny it works for me :)

This may be crude, but here goes (also, I found that the count is 24 as a few from Arkansas ans one from Oklahoma were included in the PQ.

Job 712-A by MMACH 5 and 2Xtreme (GCK2VT)

barnacle bills shipwrite shop by Loco Lupine & caveman2040 (GCYDB8)

Orange Crush by Snidely Whiplash (GCPHJ0)

Heaven by Dawgies (GCJ0AN)

A Walk in the Park by TeamFannin (GCJ5BG)

I tried this one and got my @ss kicked

Rapunzel by HackAttack & 9Key (GCBA34)

Little Rocky SCUBA Cache by Andiron120 (GCK2RY)

Palestine's First Multi Micro! by 831 Mafia (GCYKNA)

The Family Plan by dmw66/agw65 (GCTQMQ)

Nacogdoches' first night cache- Now Even Better!!! by docstheman - I did have a bit of help (GCNRMM)

Livingston Island by ShortyPen adopted by Red Eye Rebels (GCF271)

Sometimes a Cache by kayak05 (GCJJGB)

oliver river crossin by bigjerm72958 (GCV61J)

Beyond Here, Lay Dragons by shortypen (GCH52C)

Doggie Paddle Island by silver_cacher (GCMRN1)

Micro Sandbar by Doc Gilbo and Chance Encounter (GCND70)

Bring Your Machete by ArmadilloJakyl and AceHand (GCPEDZ)

Psuedo Short-cut by Doc Gilbo (GCNETM)

Gilligan's Island by Doc Gilbo (GCNETD)

The Home Stretch by Doc Gilbo (GCNERZ)

Quantum Leap by Snoogans (GCHRVB)

The Abscacher Code by Abscacher (GCJV3M)

AbsCache #23 The Pipe Revisited by abscacher (GCJ246)

San Antonio's Lighthouse by DespicableD2 (GCJ8BV)

Oliver Point Beach by shortypen (GCGRN2)

When I tried your link, I got this message from Groundspeak "Sorry, your account does not own this Pocket Query."

Funny it works for me :anicute:

This may be crude, but here goes (also, I found that the count is 24 as a few from Arkansas ans one from Oklahoma were included in the PQ.

Job 712-A by MMACH 5 and 2Xtreme (GCK2VT)

barnacle bills shipwrite shop by Loco Lupine & caveman2040 (GCYDB8)

Orange Crush by Snidely Whiplash (GCPHJ0)

Heaven by Dawgies (GCJ0AN)

A Walk in the Park by TeamFannin (GCJ5BG)

I tried this one and got my @ss kicked

Rapunzel by HackAttack & 9Key (GCBA34)

Little Rocky SCUBA Cache by Andiron120 (GCK2RY)

Palestine's First Multi Micro! by 831 Mafia (GCYKNA)

The Family Plan by dmw66/agw65 (GCTQMQ)

Nacogdoches' first night cache- Now Even Better!!! by docstheman - I did have a bit of help (GCNRMM)

Livingston Island by ShortyPen adopted by Red Eye Rebels (GCF271)

Sometimes a Cache by kayak05 (GCJJGB)

oliver river crossin by bigjerm72958 (GCV61J)

Beyond Here, Lay Dragons by shortypen (GCH52C)

Doggie Paddle Island by silver_cacher (GCMRN1)

Micro Sandbar by Doc Gilbo and Chance Encounter (GCND70)

Bring Your Machete by ArmadilloJakyl and AceHand (GCPEDZ)

Psuedo Short-cut by Doc Gilbo (GCNETM)

Gilligan's Island by Doc Gilbo (GCNETD)

The Home Stretch by Doc Gilbo (GCNERZ)

Quantum Leap by Snoogans (GCHRVB)

The Abscacher Code by Abscacher (GCJV3M)

AbsCache #23 The Pipe Revisited by abscacher (GCJ246)

San Antonio's Lighthouse by DespicableD2 (GCJ8BV)

Oliver Point Beach by shortypen (GCGRN2)

I see your from my area.

Happy caching!

Hybridgeek

Having done all of Vinny and Sue Team's Psycho Caches (still missing one of Sue's Puzzle Caches though) I can tell you that they're ALL fun. I'm sworn to secrecy about a couple of them, but suffice it to say that PUC#13 is a grand cache. Oh. you can see it all right, from about 250' away, but retreiving and replacing the container intact is the key. I think that that cache was foremost in the minds of about a dozen or so cachers in the area until it was finally retreived on a rainy Saturday morning in September. I'm still waiting for word on when someone else will be making an effort. I'd like to watch and help out if asked.

Now, to tackle "Blood and Guts" in Virginia.

I just stumbled upon this thread. I think that I (along with my wild Aussie wife Sue) am the owner of these Psycho caches (but I am not sure of that; in fact, I am not sure of anything...) A number of these caches are rated 5/5 but you should know in advance that almost all of our Psycho Urban Caches (click for list and links) and Psycho Backcountry Caches (click for list and links) are listed as Premium Member Only caches (PMOCs). I personally believe that the most challenging and breathtaking caches in our PUC series are:

• Psycho Urban Cache #7 - A Good Day to Die - some stages are located in storm drains in an old industrial section of a city. There are some twists; one is that the area drained by the storm drain system is populated with unremediated EPA-listed hazardous waste sites. There may be one more sick twist to this cache.
  • Psycho Urban Cache #8 - Ghost in Ancient Citadel - multi in the ruins and tunnels of an abandoned military fort near Baltimore; only one twist, at one stage
  • Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations - a very, very sick cache, with a very sick twist. Think radiation, as in ionizing radiation. Think waste, as in chemical toxic waste. Think hantavirus. All successful seekers have needed to wear Tyvek protective bunny suits, PAPR respirators and to carry portable radiation monitors. This cache is one of two non-PMOC caches in our PUC series.
  • Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis - kinda like PUC #8, this cache is located in the ruins and tunnels of of an abandoned military fort near Baltimore, but there are some very sick twists; you may get an idea of some of them by reading the very unusual cache listing page. This is the second of the two non-PMOC caches in our PUC series.
  • Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! - very nasty cache with a twist: it is located on the top of a 100 foot tall sheer stone support pier (piling) for a long-gone bridge, located in the middle of a major river. Got a helicopter?
  • Psycho Urban Cache #14 - Cliffside Catacombs - Think of caves, lots of caves. Think of a cave opening halfway down a 66 foot sheer vertical cliff, accessible only via rock climbing (on rope, with gear) or by rappelling. This cache was just published two days ago, and late yesterday afternoon, Sue and I watched four local extreme cachers, including LPYankeefan (whose earlier post is reproduced above) complete the FTF on this cache.

And, for our Psycho Backcountry Cache series, well, since I archived the most extreme one, the only remaining really sick cache in the series is:

• Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - a magnetic container hidden on the suport steelwork 20 feet below the deck of an abandoned railroad bridge soaring 134 feet above a river gorge in the wilderness.

And, a note to the OP: if you are looking for 5/5 caches in New Jersey, your home state, I can personally recommend Devil's Hole and Wheretogo?Vertigo! -- I enjoyed both immensely.

And, I must strongly recommend the 5/5 in Virginia named Blood & Guts in Virginia, which LPYankeefan mentioned above. We also enjoyed this one immensely. But... be forewarned: like several other caches listed here, it has several very sick twists.

Lastly, I can strongly recommend Quantum Leap, in Texas; I enjoyed it immensely. But.. be forewarned; like some of the other caches listed here, it has a twist...

I'm interested in trying some 5/5 caches, although I've only done one. Instead of searching bookmark lists or state by state, maybe those of you who have done a few, tell me what ones. What ones were your favorites, what ones have'nt been found, what ones do you have on your "to do" list. I'm not looking for out of the USA, but I still would'nt mind hearing about it!

Please share! :lol:

Here's one in Missouri . . .

Myotis 100 (Irish Wilderness) Cache

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

Check out 'Starve Island 'in Ohio. Actually, it is an island in Lake Erie. We saw it from a distance from the ferry on the way to Put-in-Bay. UMMM, we passed on this one and continued on to the winery! Hats off to all the cachers who wrote logs and DID make the attempt and here's to the ones who made it :laughing:

Anyone who can complete logscaler & Red's "Counting Counties in Oregon" (GCR9XY) in less than a year with a score of 290.0 or more has my respect and admiration. During 2006 there were 8 active caches that were listed at 5/5. As one of two people to complete all 8, I'm planning on putting in a puzzle cache more than 1000 feet horizontal and vertical from PMOGUY's most difficult cache. Oregon really needs at least one more 5/5.

Check PMOGUY and my bookmarks for CCIO (Counting Counties in Oregon) for the highest rated D/T in each of the 36 counties of Oregon.

Tom Fuller

[*] Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations - a very, very sick cache, with a very sick twist. Think radiation, as in ionizing radiation. Think waste, as in chemical toxic waste. Think hantavirus. All successful seekers have needed to wear Tyvek protective bunny suits, PAPR respirators and to carry portable radiation monitors. This cache is one of two non-PMOC caches in our PUC series.

Not all of them :lostsignal:

I've only done one. Five Star New York. Definitely challenging.

Did a 1/5 Virtual once. Lake of the Clouds Hut. Far more physically challenging, but easy once you got there...

Lake of the Clouds was an excellent cache! We got back down from Mount Washington at about 2AM since it was quite difficult going back down on the trail in darkness with a simple pen light and no moonlight :< Was the whole experience worth it - yes, would do it all over again if I had the chance!

I went to a 5/5 the other week that was wheelchair accessible. I am no great wheelchair driver so i dont understand how a terrain of 5 can be wheelchair accssible. It turned out the cache was in a canal tunnel and although the GPS didnt work the cache was under a huge air shaft which was clearly visable on Google earth so we went in until we got to the airshaft and searched.

I have done a couple of bridge abseils and set a cache over a mile into a tunnel which is only accessible by boat but involves moving your boat over 1/2 mile of bog to even get to the tunnel enterance (hence only been found by 2 people)