Cache Count - - - Who's #1?

Gearbox

I was wondering if there is a way to view a list cachers based on the number of finds. I've seen some cachers with finds in the 1,000's and am curious to know what kind of numbers the top people have. Thanks for any info.

Gearbox

Not sure... apparently there used to be a site out there that you could get that info. Don't think its up anymore though.

One cacher in MD has over 15,000 finds.

Edit to add: I just googled "Top Geocachers" and got this: http://www.zinnware.com/HighAdv/Geocaching...aches_found.php

Edited by BRTango

No, the site just moved is all. You can find it here now.

Gosh, I haven't been to that site in ages. I looked real quick for my name and I have slipped out of the top 500. I'm crushed. :huh:

The highest find count belongs to a Pennsylvanian, not a Marylander. But the faux pas is understandable, as her name's in most Maryland logbooks.

I'm slipping. All these dang cachers in WA are gonna run me off the top 100 list. :huh:

No, the site just moved is all. You can find it here now.

Gosh, I haven't been to that site in ages. I looked real quick for my name and I have slipped out of the top 500. I'm crushed. :huh:

The highest find count belongs to a Pennsylvanian, not a Marylander. But the faux pas is understandable, as her name's in most Maryland logbooks.

Ah... ok. For some reason I thought she was a Marylander :huh:

Haven't had the pleasure of actually meeting her yet.

Edited by BRTango

I was wondering if there is a way to view a list cachers based on the number of finds. I've seen some cachers with finds in the 1,000's and am curious to know what kind of numbers the top people have. Thanks for any info.

Gearbox

There is no list that I'm aware of that shows the number of finds. There are a few that show the number of found it logs. They aren't the same thing for some geocachers.

I think this topic is interesting as well. I have often wondered. I have seen one person with 15,000 and I have wondered how they have done it. I think it would be cool to know a lot of other things as well like cachers who have climbed the most mountains(less caches posibly but harder terrain), cachers who have been to the most countries(naybe less caches over all but who cares if half of them are from around the world), the most states, ect. Not in a whos cheating, I hate everyone, I need to keep up kind of way but in a wow, good for them, thats really cool sort of way. I will probably never climb a mountain but maybe someday if I stick with this I might find 15,000 caches. For me every cache is a new adventure whether its a kmart or a cliff. Every time I go I spend time with the person I love more than anything in the world and to have 15,000 adventures would be fabulous. Some people like statistics and some people don't. I am one who does. If I was into baseball I would probably have to know who has the most runs, the best batting average and all of that. Some people would just go to watch the game and enjoy the popcorn.

Just remember that smilies are only claims of finds- nothing more and nothing less. :laughing: Unless of course they can be proven fake. :laughing:

It's also good to keep in mind that your finds may reflect the number of caches that you've found on your own, but other peoples unbelievably high find counts are due to them caching as a team and multiple people logging finds on the same account.

That's just to say that other peoples numbers are as meaningless as your own in the grand scheme of life, but some people (including me) still love their numbers and still love to compare them with their friends.

I think this topic is interesting as well. I have often wondered. I have seen one person with 15,000 and I have wondered how they have done it. I think it would be cool to know a lot of other things as well like cachers who have climbed the most mountains(less caches posibly but harder terrain), cachers who have been to the most countries(naybe less caches over all but who cares if half of them are from around the world), the most states, ect. Not in a whos cheating, I hate everyone, I need to keep up kind of way but in a wow, good for them, thats really cool sort of way. I will probably never climb a mountain but maybe someday if I stick with this I might find 15,000 caches. For me every cache is a new adventure whether its a kmart or a cliff. Every time I go I spend time with the person I love more than anything in the world and to have 15,000 adventures would be fabulous. Some people like statistics and some people don't. I am one who does. If I was into baseball I would probably have to know who has the most runs, the best batting average and all of that. Some people would just go to watch the game and enjoy the popcorn.

Thanks for your reply. It appears some people take things way to seriously. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by some of the replies. As I said, I am a number cruncher. When I coached baseball, I kept stats on all my players - hits, on base %, runs scored, etc. It was a lot of fun, the team did very well and everyone enjoyed the experience. We still talk about the 'good old days'. At that time in my life, winning was important and a lot more fun than losing. Fortunately, I grew past that and now look at all things from a point of interest, appreciation and amazement. I appreciate the effort, skill and talent that goes into scoring a goal, climbing a mountain, accomplishing a goal, etc. Geocaching with the love of my life has taken us to so many places we would never had experienced otherwise. Finding the cache is soooooo secondary. It is a lot of fun for both of us and something we cherish doing together. More power to "geocaching.com"

I'm the Number 1 cacher ...

... on my personal list. There is no Number 2.

I can appreciate that for some people sports are all about the numbers, but I started geocaching specifically because competition was not part of the game. I'd had enough of that with a competitive martial arts sport I participated in for some years and wanted a change, so I ended up here.

The kind gentleman who runs the stats site linked above removed my name from the listings when I asked him to do so, and I like it that way. My finds are logged on-line because it benefits me personally to do so, and for no other reason. Folks who think the game's all about the numbers might want to check out one of the other caching sites where they make a big deal about their personal standings; me, I like it here.

Rats, I've slipped out of the top 1000. Oh well. At least I know 3 of the top 10 on that list! and 9 of the top 20! And I noticed a dog is in the top 100...

Well, that's just great to know that a dog is ranked about 2,500 cachers ahead of me. Oh, the humanity... :anitongue:

However, I'm willing to bet that we both have had fun along the way, so I say, "Cache on, Bulli the Wonder Dog, and may you always find a treat at journey's end."

Wow, I know a few of the top 20 too.

For me every cache is a new adventure whether its a kmart or a cliff. Every time I go I spend time with the person I love more than anything in the world and to have 15,000 adventures would be fabulous.

That's a lovely way of putting it.

It sure is. That is the best perspective I've seen in a find count thead yet. I read that and thought, "Now there is somebody who gets it."

A couple of things...

I don't give a hoot who can eat the most hotdogs. What I care about is the person who can cook me the best meal. That's what affects me.

Two. You won't find me on that list. Yes, you can have your name removed. Too bad this site isn't as accomadating.

There are TWO people with over 15,000 finds. The #2 guy is basically one person.

His 15,000th was an event with the OK of the local parks department where he held a workshop for newbies. The town advertised a gecaching class. We had at least 30 people interested show up. He had us "experts" take groups of them around the park where there were 8 caches hidden (not temp or pocket caches).

His 10,000th was the end of a series where he had to go all over the area (hundreds of miles of travel) to find the other 10 and get numbers for the coords to the finale. They finale was on the highest peak in the area and they estimated he would have to climb a total of about 10,00 feet to get all 11 caches.

Edited by Wacka

I just don't see how they have the time and money to do that many. I think the imporant thing is my having fun with it and just not getting worried about my numbers. I look for quality caches more now as they become further away from home for me. Especially at these gas prices. I am in it more for the history and sightseeing than just chasing every cache listed.

IMO. Most of the high numbef find counts are not accurate. I deleted a found log on one of my caches by one of the ultra high number cachers. The cacher did not find my cache so they placed a new cache to make the find. Sure the cache was missing, that means they did not find it. Placing a cache to claim a find is cheating.

Another cacher found a peice of paper by one of my caches just a few day ago and signed the paper to claim the find, I check the cache yesterday, it is there and tocay I am going to delete their find unless they change it to a DNF as I requested.

There is a lot of cheating going on in this game, some people just do not want to see it.

IMO. Most of the high numbef find counts are not accurate. I deleted a found log on one of my caches by one of the ultra high number cachers. The cacher did not find my cache so they placed a new cache to make the find. Sure the cache was missing, that means they did not find it. Placing a cache to claim a find is cheating.

Another cacher found a peice of paper by one of my caches just a few day ago and signed the paper to claim the find, I check the cache yesterday, it is there and tocay I am going to delete their find unless they change it to a DNF as I requested.

There is a lot of cheating going on in this game, some people just do not want to see it.

It is a cesspool of intrigue and lies. Get out while you can. :anitongue::rolleyes:

Well, again, I find a completely honest, unassuming post turned into a place for others to voice their complaints about what other people are doing. Sure it should probably be read that some people are playing the game in different ways than may have been intended. But most people are able to draw their own conclusions to that point.

All the complaints and bickering brings to mind the saying, "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." :anitongue:

I for one like looking at my numbers and the numbers of those I personally know. Although, I have created a little personal competition, for myself; the others don't even know their in it or at least I haven't told them. If they happen to get more finds, good on them, I sit back and smile for them; then I push my goal for the next week, month or year. :ph34r:

The whole thought of looking at anothers stats and researching whether or not it is an individual or team, whether it is feasible that they could possibly do that many caches, et cetera, is just too time consuming and petty. There is really no reason for me to get my heartrate up over it. If it makes them happy to play the game the way they are, then so be it, they will have to live with themselves! It really doesn't affect me one way or another. :rolleyes:

Just play the game to the best of your ability and enjoy yourself!

SYOTH :ph34r:

There is really no reason for me to get my heartrate up over it. If it makes them happy to play the game the way they are, then so be it, they will have to live with themselves! It really doesn't affect me one way or another

As someone who has wasted his time and gas going after a cache because there were recent phony finds on it, I can assure you that other's actions can and do affect fellow geocachers. When you log a "found it" you are essentially telling the community that the cache is there. If its not and you lie and say you found it, other people might be enticed into searching for it when they might have otherwise avoided it. I know one geocacher who was lured into a fruitless 100 mile RT because someone llogged a phony found it on a cache that had been thought missing. Also, owners might put off needed visits to check on the cache when they see a bogus found it log.

Playing your game is fine until it screws fellow geocachers and logging bogus finds can do that and has.

Edited by briansnat

I think the current world leader is acutally Confucius' Cat who claims to have 424,567 finds. However, This number is somewhat in disput... as with all the high number cachers :anitongue:. There's always questioning about if this find was valid, or was that cache double logged, etc etc (big can of worms).

A couple of things...

I don't give a hoot who can eat the most hotdogs. What I care about is the person who can cook me the best meal. That's what affects me.

Two. You won't find me on that list. Yes, you can have your name removed. Too bad this site isn't as accomadating.

Congrats CR! This was your 4,000th post! Woo-HOO!

There is really no reason for me to get my heartrate up over it. If it makes them happy to play the game the way they are, then so be it, they will have to live with themselves! It really doesn't affect me one way or another

Playing your game is fine until it screws fellow geocachers and logging bogus finds can do that and has.

I can totally understand your ire and frustration at a situation such as the one you describe and my post had nothing in reference to the fact that someone posting a bogus find or not posting their did not find causes much more work for us; I totally agree with that fact, but it is a different topic. My post was in reference, however, to the fact that it seems whenever ANYONE, regardless whether they are a number poacher or not, posts ANYTHING in reference to numbers, the thread turns very nasty; in fact, I haven’t read too many threads lately that haven’t had some nastiness involved. (Although, I read one yesterday that was very amusing, something about placing a cache that looks like a pipe bomb.)

Any way, the point is instead of jumping down every persons throat about numbers being bogus, why can’t we look at and point out the positive things about geocaching. Seems that everyone is so busy pointing their finger at someone else that the forums aren’t useful, relevent or inviting any more.

Oh and by the way, off topic, how did you send me an e-mail with the post response?? (Or does it do that automatically if you quote someone???)

And please don't group me with those number poachers, I am too much of a stickler for playing the way the game was intended. :rolleyes:

If you don't physically find the container and physically sign the log, don't log it on gc.com as a find; if you hid it, don't log it as a find, (how gauche!); if you have already found it and re-visit for some reason, post a note about it, not another find!!! :ph34r:

The persons in charge have created options to make a note, log a DNF, et cetera! USE THEM!!! :anitongue:

FACT: Chuck Norris has found every geocache in existence, but doesn't log them online because the Internet isn't big enough to contain his words.

Bret

That Chuck, what a guy. Whenever I cache, I'm number 1, numero uno. I may not have found many(gotta life and job) but we have fun

My father once told me that at work I wasn't fast or slow, I was, as he said, "half-fast". :)

...Two. You won't find me on that list...

The list starts at 200 finds; you have six registered finds. I presume you post notes for your finds.

...I deleted a found log on one of my caches by one of the ultra high number cachers. The cacher did not find my cache so they placed a new cache to make the find. Sure the cache was missing, that means they did not find it. Placing a cache to claim a find is cheating...

I've replaced missing caches before. Not so much for the find, or to avoid returning, but to help out the owner by saving him/her a trip. I'll do this for caches involving a long hike. I'll post what I did on my log.

If you don't physically find the container and physically sign the log, don't log it on gc.com as a find; if you hid it, don't log it as a find, (how gauche!); if you have already found it and re-visit for some reason, post a note about it, not another find!!! :)

The persons in charge have created options to make a note, log a DNF, et cetera! USE THEM!!! :(

But the persons in charge have also allowed mulitple finds on a cache, and for a find on your won cache - so, why should cachers be "penalized" for taking advantage of what GC offers?

I've never done it myself, but I've been tempted several times to log a find on a cache I've already found.

This is the scenario: I was caching with another cacher and he stopped to find a cache I had already found. When he couldn't find it, I went to grab it for him - or so I thought. Turns out the cache had been muggled; the owner replaced it with a new container in a slightly different location. So, I get in on the hunt with him and find the cache and sign I re-visited. I did not post a second find, but it would not bother me if someone had.

FACT: Chuck Norris has found every geocache in existence, but doesn't log them online because the Internet isn't big enough to contain his words.

Bret

Even more impressive is that Chuck Norris has counted to infinity and back, Twice.

Way to go Chuck!

A couple of things...

Congrats CR! This was your 4,000th post! Woo-HOO!

Why, thank you!

But, that's only for the posts made with this account. That doesn't include the ones made while I was using our main account before Sissy made me quit or the possibility of many more under various sock puppet accounts.

Why does my post say CoyoteRed? :)

:(

...Two. You won't find me on that list...

The list starts at 200 finds; you have six registered finds. I presume you post notes for your finds.

DOH! I must go and profusely apologize to my sweetie for that. I meant, "us." You won't find us on that list.

Those 6 finds listed on my account are those Sissy refused to allow on her (our) account.

Anyway, the gentleman to who runs that site is a very nice guy and will graciously remove your name if you want. He's a busy guy so if you do contact him be patient and give him a few days to respond.