Rhode Island Coin Anyone?

crake

I recall seeing some interest in a Rhode Island coin, but either there wasn't an organized club or something else - search is still broken. Anyway, I didn't think there was a coin.

Well, being that I have one foot in Texas and the other in Rhode Island, I'm all up for making a RI coin. I drafted up artwork tonight for a pretty cool coin, but before I went any further I wanted to double check here that there wasn't already something in the works.

If there IS interest I'm willing to drive the effort... somewhere I'll find the time - Rhode Island has GOT to be represented!!!

I recall seeing some interest in a Rhode Island coin, but either there wasn't an organized club or something else - search is still broken.  Anyway, I didn't think there was a coin.

Well, being that I have one foot in Texas and the other in Rhode Island, I'm all up for making a RI coin.  I drafted up artwork tonight for a pretty cool coin, but before I went any further I wanted to double check here that there wasn't already something in the works.

If there IS interest I'm willing to drive the effort...  somewhere I'll find the time - Rhode Island has GOT to be represented!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a Rhode Island geocoin was indeed produced. Here's a picture of it:

85.gif

I recall seeing some interest in a Rhode Island coin, but either there wasn't an organized club or something else - search is still broken.  Anyway, I didn't think there was a coin.

Well, being that I have one foot in Texas and the other in Rhode Island, I'm all up for making a RI coin.  I drafted up artwork tonight for a pretty cool coin, but before I went any further I wanted to double check here that there wasn't already something in the works.

If there IS interest I'm willing to drive the effort...  somewhere I'll find the time - Rhode Island has GOT to be represented!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a Rhode Island geocoin was indeed produced. Here's a picture of it:

85.gif

But you can still do a 2006 version, I'll take one :P .

No bubble bursting here! I'm just glad to see that a RI coin exists.

Was this part of an organization or was it done by an individual? How long ago was it made?

Edit: 2006 you say? Hmmm - well I don't want to step on toes.

Edited by crake
No bubble bursting here! I'm just glad to see that a RI coin exists.

Was this part of an organization or was it done by an individual? How long ago was it made?

Edit: 2006 you say? Hmmm - well I don't want to step on toes.

How about Montana, South Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire... none of those states have coins yet at all :P

And since we are on topic of what coins to make, how is that Hawaii coin coming along that was talked about awhile ago ( you know I would love to provide links, but you have heard enough about the SEARCH engine not working).

I am talking with somebody that lives there about a coin. He and his wife are interested and wanting to make the coin, they just never knew about the forums or geocoins. I will keep you posted.

KEWL! A hawaii coin! I was going to buy one from the forbidden zone but I HATE people making profits off of coins when they just list them on the market place and not in the forums. :P

I would love to see a REAL hawaii coin come out. :P

Edited by elmosmelmo

85.gif

That is a personal coin, not what I would consider a "State Coin". I still love it none the less though.

As I'm from New Hampshire, I am very interested in being involved with creating a coin that would represent the state! We don't have an official state organization here, so it might be one that runs along the lines of a coin that is a little more personal...or not...I am open to suggestions! Thanks. NH geobear :)

OK - I've added a Rhode Island coin to my todo list. No idea when it'll happen, but one day it'll suddenly appear :rolleyes:

*poof* and suddenly a Rhode Island coin appears....

RI_2006_Web.jpg

It will be available in April. Gotta get Tracking Time out the door first!

Edited by crake

A great geocoin...I like specially the antique metal side! :(

I'm actually quite proud of the fact that I got a 3D-like image using a 2D die B) I also recently got the hang of using the recessed areas to trap the aging chemical to create dark lines and other detail without using enamel. So expect to see more of this on future coins :rolleyes:

Aren't you in Texas? Did you consult with any RI cachers before producing a coin for them?

*sigh* I'm going to put this to rest right now. My family has been in RI for over 50 years (Little Compton).

QuakerHillFarmOverlook.jpg

So I am just as much from RI as I am from Texas... actually more RI than Texas given that I've only been a Texan for 7 years, but I've been eating Grays Ice Cream my entire life. And for those who don't know what I'm talking about, stop by Grays in Tiverton Four Corners. While you're there visit Milk & Honey Bazaar... possibly the finest collection of cheese I've ever seen. But anyway...

So to answer your question. Yes I did consult people from RI - I consulted myself, and my family. I'm proud to be able have this coin represent the state.

I'm also proud to represent my other home in Texas when I can.

I was wondering that too. Also, there's no reference to geocaching in the design.

Pass

Its my philosophy that trackables by the simple fact that they are trackable are by their nature associated with geocaching.

Think of it as a GI Joe or stuffed animal with a travel bug tag. Its the fact that they are trackable that makes it associated with geocaching. The only difference is the coin has the travel bug tag embedded into the design.

Looking back, I could have spelled out something else in the flags I suppose. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I wanted to add something. And it's a credit to you Crake. Your coins are not cheap, however, the quality far surpasses some coins I have paid the same or more for recently. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks! I really enjoy doing this, and believe that if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right!