Icon Swap Meets

Jeremy

<spotted>

but....

Why, why, why (and with what right) are so many virtuals locked??????

This is really amazing for me, I hate it when someone touches personal properties of someone else, so please hands off :lol:

Locking virtuals TB's/coins without guidelines and warning before is NOT the way!

Just my 2 eurocents......

spotted is better than touched since you don't actually have to touch a TB to be able to read its TB tracking number.

spotted is better than saw since it refers to a person's activity rather than just passively observing.

It's a very nice solution to the problem that TBs are grabbed from each other messing up the information on the real location of the TB.

So, at an event, I can just pick up and log (as a find) the TB from the cache without worrying it's going to be grabbed from me shortly afterwards by people who have attended the event and want the icon. With the new solution, they can indicate to have spotted it.

Also, since you are locking down virtual bugs and coins, wouldn't it make sense to not allow people to drop bugs and coins in virtual caches? After all, they have no physical containers to drop stuff in.

Lloyd

In my example earlier in this thread, when our dogs (who are a TB) accompany us on a cache, we like to log them in and out of that cache so we can track the miles they have traveled in their caching adventures. That includes virtual caches. It also includes earthcaches, but the option to drop a TB doesn't exist for those. :lol:

Mrs. Car54

The "meet" log type would be a lot harder to explain than "spotted." Since spotted seems to be the overwhelming choice so far we'll stick with that.

I like "meet", BTW. Just when it is in a dropdown it doesn't make as much sense as spotted. I can see how someone could just say they saw it in a cache to reassure the owner that it is still in a cache.

The idea of "met" or "saw" would be good for all TB's. When a TB is "seen" or "met" then the log will go to the owner letting them know it's still there in that cache.

There have been times where I ran across a TB while on a road trip and didn't move it because I was headed the other way. Took a couple pics, etc, etc. TB hotel owners may also find it useful.

Why, why, why (and with what right) are so many virtuals locked??????

This is really amazing for me, I hate it when someone touches personal properties of someone else, so please hands off ;)

Locking virtuals TB's/coins without guidelines and warning before is NOT the way!

Apparently you haven't read the Terms of Use. I can see at least 3 paragraphs that apply to the abuse you are talking about.

How about "recorded"? I'm guessing for many of these types of transactions all people are doing is recording a number, they never view, touch, meet or otherwise.

BTW, isn't this exactly what the old "note" log used to do up until about a year ago?

Edited by g-o-cashers
The note never counted as a find, as far as I can tell.

Here's a reminder. ;)

g-o-cashers is right. This is almost full circle. B)

Hehe. Guess it was a bug then. A travel bug bug. Man my mind wanders.

So yeah, corrected once and a new log type will make it proper.

(edit to mention: this new log type will require the travel bug tracking number. Notes are free to do without knowing that number)

Edited by Jeremy

My first choice would be <Counting Coup>

My second choice is the more popular <Spotted>

If I understand the issue, it's more along the line of the volume of pointless log entries and not about the way people play the game.

I read all three pages and don't believe this idea was brought up.

If you are considering tabbed pages for icons, how about two pages....one for TB's that you actually find and move, and the new log type for ones that you 'saw' at a 'meet' or 'spotted' in someone else’s possession. If you are only collecting icons and your only goal is to 'Count Coup', then this would accommodate both types of players.

In addition, consider the following.

Enter a single log entry for the event on the TB page, individual cachers would then log into the log entry and add their name to the list of cachers that were there counting coup.

100 log entries could be annoying.

A single log entry with a drill down to the 100 names could be interesting.

The way I play the game, I would never log a TB unless I actually found it and/or moved it. With these modifications, I would be happy to add my name to the list of people at an event that were counting coup.

My first choice would be <Counting Coup>

My second choice is the more popular <Spotted>

If I understand the issue, it's more along the line of the volume of pointless log entries and not about the way people play the game.

I read all three pages and don't believe this idea was brought up.

If you are considering tabbed pages for icons, how about two pages....one for TB's that you actually find and move, and the new log type for ones that you 'saw' at a 'meet' or 'spotted' in someone else’s possession. If you are only collecting icons and your only goal is to 'Count Coup', then this would accommodate both types of players.

In addition, consider the following.

Enter a single log entry for the event on the TB page, individual cachers would then log into the log entry and add their name to the list of cachers that were there counting coup.

100 log entries could be annoying.

A single log entry with a drill down to the 100 names could be interesting.

The way I play the game, I would never log a TB unless I actually found it and/or moved it. With these modifications, I would be happy to add my name to the list of people at an event that were counting coup.

Good thought but I worry that we would get folks that will "tag" the TB and then throw in a fake move so they can have the icons on both pages. We would still have the same issue, but adding fake miles.

BTW, isn't this exactly what the old "note" log used to do up until about a year ago?

It did. You used to have to have the number to leave a note on a TB and you got a link to that bug on the old version of your user page.

I remember it well, because a thread got posted when Centris and a few others made it over 1000 TBs in their bug totals. A day or two later she had about half as many in her total, (today, just over 600) because you no longer needed a number to leave a note on a TB and mayyyybe the user page had changed to drop the links by then too. I don't recall exactly, but I do recall that my TB total dropped by about a dozen give or take.

Anyhoo, a note did equal a find for some time. Right after that the endless bug dropping began on event pages.

Hopefully a "spotted" selection that does not put the bug into the Coup Counters inventory will work. I'll use it and inform folks at events to use it as well to lessen the confusion and help stop the endless drop logs.

Here's a reminder. :unsure:

g-o-cashers is right. This is almost full circle. :lol:

Hehe. Guess it was a bug then. A travel bug bug. Man my mind wanders.

So yeah, corrected once and a new log type will make it proper.

(edit to mention: this new log type will require the travel bug tracking number. Notes are free to do without knowing that number)

DOH! I didn't see this post before I posted my reply. :lol:

Yah well you know... that's from the old school of forum chatting.

there was a school? :huh:

Yah... just one more off topic comment... The school of hard knocks forum chatting. You really had to wear asbestos back in the old days if you screwed up. Getting a crispy butt was a way of life if you didn't learn quick enough. The newbies today have no idea how good they have it. B)

Personally, I like this solution. It lets people play their game in their way. I don't care what it's called (although, maybe "worshipped" :P ).

Someone posted way back a couple of days ago (and I cannot find it now) that it would be a great idea to give the TB/Coin owner the option to restrict how their bug/coin is logged. Just as a cache owner can make a cache subscriber only with a check box, how about some checkbox options for the TB/coin owner/activator to allow or disallow this spotted/touched feature. The owner can then explain their "rules" for their bug so everyone is on the same page, and no one gets "stripped" of a find/icon because they logged a TB/coin in a way the owner didn't like.

What do you think?

Team Maccabee

Hi Jeremy!

First off, I think that your proposal is a great idea.

I'd also like to add a couple suggestions while we're on the topic of travel bugs.

In the case of an event (I was recently the host of an event), as a responsible event owner, I try to take down a list of the travel bug numbers *BEFORE* they get traded off. Then, as people pick them up, I try to mark down who took them where so that no travel bugs get lost/left in the event cache.

The problem is two fold:

a) It is very time consuming taking time away from the event.

b ) Sometimes the bugs are grabbed/traded before I can get the number and/or who brought/took them. If in this case I happen to miss one and it suddenly gets "lost" I feel, at least as the event owner, that I'm partially responsible.

My suggestion would be that somehow the event owner be able to get a list of the travel bug names/numbers in advance (only what has been dropped in the event cache) to help save time. I know this won't completely solve the problem, but if I have 20 on the list, and 5 more get brought, 5 is alot easier to write down individually and then keep track of than trying to catch all 25.

*NOTE* that I only log the ones I move from the event, but I still like to know what went where in case the bug owner eventually comes back to me asking what happened to the bug.

Thanks!

~Rose

Edited by phoenix-rose

I really like the new log type suggestion. It really is annoying to see so many logs for TB action on event listings.

I'll toss in my vote for "spotted" because it is more inclusive of what often happens. Some people don't even touch or fondle the travel bugs, rather are given a list of numbers by someone at an event - whatever floats their boat I guess.

When I look at someone's profile and see a boat load of icons (disproportionate to the number of finds), I immediately think "event" and figure that they didn't really "find" any of them.

Tabbed pages, one for finds and one for events is a fantastic idea.

Thanks

When I look at someone's profile and see a boat load of icons (disproportionate to the number of finds), I immediately think "event" and figure that they didn't really "find" any of them.
Don't assume,

I, for one, go mainly for new caches with Travel Bugs in them,

especially if they have been there for too long,

and I will also go back to caches previously found,

if a Travel Bug is in it.

"Grabbing it" doesn't generate an email to the cache owner either. Only placing a TB in a cache via a Find or Note log entry does.

For instance, if someone arrives at an event with a TB and passes around the code. Everyone can simply log on and start grabbing it. They get the icon. The TB owner, at the end of the event, can grab it back to record that it is still in their possession. Like the "touched it" idea, that whole chain of "grabbing it"s (as described above) doesn't involve the TB touching a single cache. You can grab a TB off anyone as long as you know the code, a cache never has to be involved.

So ... how is "touching it" substantially different from "grabbing it", other than the fact that the TB doesn't change ownership?

Once again, you are confusing Cache Log with Bug Log.

Grabbing a TB generates an email to the TRAVEL BUG owner.

Touching it would not generate any email at all.

Gee,..no wonder the Liberals got elected the last time;

some Canadians just can't read,.. ;)r

Wouldn't it be easier on all sides just to turn off the email notification for the grab? I know at the events here, the TBs actually make the journey to the event, pass from person to person at the event (physically) to help these bugs get to a goal. I'm not sure if this legitimate use would get lost with the "touchy" aspect suggested here.

It's a shame that this whole thing has to come about in some way/ shape / or form by people writing down the TB tags for icon whoring. At least bring the TB to the event! :ph34r:

What is this best called? Do we make up a new name?

The log entry would mean:

<user name> swatted <travel bug name>

<user name> touched <travel bug name>

<user name> pinged <travel bug name>

<user name> waved at <travel bug name>

<user name> collected <travel bug name>

<user name> tapped <travel bug name>

<user name> spotted <travel bug name>

Fondled?

Seems like some serious code writing in your future.

Special category for Moun10Bike coins, especially in Europe:

<user name> went all misty-eyed over <travel bug name>

<user name> burst into tears over <travel bug name>

<user name> found that life was henceforth empty after spotting <travel bug name>

<user name> curled up into the foetal position clutching <travel bug name>

<user name> pinched self to check not dreaming upon seeing <travel bug name>

In fact, since I presume the text is generated on the fly from a database entry that says "log type 417", we could maybe have the option to choose from a drop-down list describing our emotions, kind of like canned feedback strings on eBay. :ph34r:

Late to the game, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I like the proposed idea. Doesn't get rid of any functionality but cleans up some problems. :lol:

Since travel bugs are tagged things that move around (like tagged wildlife), it would be cool if the new term was somewhat related to the catch/"look at the tag and write down its number"/release idea of tracking tagged wildlife, because that's exactly what we'd be doing in this case. I can't remember what that middle step is called. Cataloging? Does anyone know?

Spotted is a good term too. :lol:

Ok, I think the majority think that this is a good idea. Granted it has only been on the site for a few hours, however...

I don't like the word "collected" since it sounds like the person kept it. "Swatted" is cute but doesn't work for geocoins (though technically I could have a different log name for coins and bugs).

Spotted seems like the best one so far.

<user name> has seen <travel bug name>

Think this works for me, personal example:

Zero CooL NL has seen Fly-1

Or

<user name> looked at <travel bug name>

Zero CooL NL looked at Fly-1

No last example sounds horrible.. first option works for me.

sorry if this so late of a reply. Only recently learned of the thread. Geocoins are something I've only recently dealt with. I think of them as being a little separate/different from TB, due to the icons & collectability.

There is an emerging trend for geocachers to mark down codes for Travel Bugs and essentially do a swap meet at cache events. None of the Travel Bugs actually move. Instead geocachers just pick them up and drop them off in the same cache to collect a "find" for the Travel Bug.

Hmmm. I've only been at a couple of event caches, and I think in both cases, TB were brought ONLY for the reason that someone would PHYSICALLY take them and move them to another cache. I don't think anyone did this to up their stats.

That wasn't the intent but I can imagine people just want to "collect" the Travel Bugs they see, and in the case of geocoins they want to collect the icon on their profile page. However this activity can be extremely annoying for cache owners, travel bug or geocoin owners, and a drain on the web site.

While I agree this is defeats the purpose of TB, I see it different with geocoins. geocoins are expensive, and I can understand why some would want to keep them, and just bring them out to events so people can see them, and pick up the icons on their stats. I did this at my last event, and I plan on doing this with the geocoins I've recently purchase (ie, I plan on keeping them, and they will travel with me to caches & events, not turned into TB).

I have some ideas. First, picking up and dropping off a travel bug in the same cache will error and effectively delete both your pick up and drop off logs, or simply change the pickup log to a note. I can, however, see someone circumvent this by just picking it up, dropping it into some arbitrary cache and dropping it back in the original cache.

I don't see this as a problem with a TB, I hope this would not include geocoins.

Therefore I propose that there be a new log type that counts as a "find." It could be called "tag" or "collect" that would just add a log saying you saw it and logged it but that's pretty much it. No miles will be marked nor will they be used for anything else but collections.

If one is for collecting geocoin icons, I think this would be a good alternative.

Therefore I propose that there be a new log type that counts as a "find." It could be called "tag" or "collect" that would just add a log saying you saw it and logged it but that's pretty much it. No miles will be marked nor will they be used for anything else but collections.

I like your idea. TB's were meant to be moved from cache to cache and to be source of a find count. People that just log a TB by "seeing it" at an event are not using the TB as it's intent was designed for.

I haven't read this whole thread so please excuse me if this has been stated before. How about a "Personal TB" that is attached to the owner's account. This "Personal TB" would get a drop off and a pick up log written to it's history but not to the cache's logs. This way your "Personal TB" could follow you around automatically and get the miles traveled. And the owner's of the caches you find would not get those drop off logs (which would also mean less stored logs). And a limit to the number of "Personal TBs" one could have.

An option to this would be to allow a "new" "Personal TB" to be recalculated to get mileage for all previous found caches.

I didn't read the entire thread before posting, so if this has been suggested before, please ignore.

Would it be possible to modify the event cache adding an option that allows the person running the event to register TBs and coins on the event page? As people log their attendance at the event, they would get credit for the find of all items registered at the event.

The email traffic might also be modified so that the owners of the items registered at the event would only get one email showing those who logged the item in the body of the message.

Thoughts?

Has the new tab feature been added?

I haven't been able to find it, but as my wife says about me "Surface Searcher"

I like "Spotted"

But I don't care, since I only log TB's that I actually relocate myself.

The idea of

ScoutingWV Posted Today, 07:43 AM

Would it be possible to modify the event cache adding an option that allows the person running the event to register TBs and coins on the event page? As people log their attendance at the event, they would get credit for the find of all items registered at the event.

Boy, I would hope that I could OPT OUT of that one... I don't want any credit for any TB's that I didn't personally pick up and relocate. I don't want credit for being in the same room as a TB.

:o The Blue Quasar

Boy, I would hope that I could OPT OUT of that one... I don't want any credit for any TB's that I didn't personally pick up and relocate. I don't want credit for being in the same room as a TB.

:o The Blue Quasar

Good point. You should be able to opt out. Maybe you sign up for the event and register for the bugs/coins you want to log when you are actually at the event. This could still help minimize the email traffic, and let folks choose which items to log (if any).

Right, here is what I think. The whole idea of TBs and geocoins is to create a story of their travels for the owner. If the TB/GC goes to a event and a whole load of cachers get their hands on it, then its still part of the its journey so it should be logged.

I have logged a geocoin out and back into a cache to show that I've come across it, add my story, and explain that I wasn't moving it because I didn't feel I could help it on its way. I've also logged a TB in and out a cache that I had intended to place it in that was damaged.

These are part of the items journey or story behind the journey so I see them as valid logs.

The next point is coming back to the thread, is a logged out and back in the best way to log a TB/GC. As Jeremy has said, since your not really taking it from the cache, it doesn't really work. I would suggest encountered for the log type, as it describes how you and the TB/GC paths have crossed.

E.g. adambro encountered Geocoin name

It is my feeling that this type of log should add the icon to your profile, since as I've said, you're taking part in the item's journey.

Adam

Ok, I think the majority think that this is a good idea. Granted it has only been on the site for a few hours, however...

I don't like the word "collected" since it sounds like the person kept it. "Swatted" is cute but doesn't work for geocoins (though technically I could have a different log name for coins and bugs).

Spotted seems like the best one so far.

I like spotted. As in...

<user name> spotted <travel bug name> in <cache name>

or

<user name> spotted <travel bug name> in the hands of <user name of cacher holding the TB>

<snip>

It is my feeling that this type of log should add the icon to your profile, since as I've said, you're taking part in the item's journey.

Adam

Also if the encountered or spotted (or whatever it will be called) log didn't add an icon that anyone who wants the icon in their profile will simply go back to making grabbing logs.

I'd just get rid of ALL the unique icons (except the commercial Jeep icons). That's the MAIN reason this has all got so out of control to begin with.

Right you are.

I never understood the "just picking it up to add it to my stats page" for Travel Bugs, so I never did it. If I don't move a bug I don't log it. However, I did come across a cache with a UK Geocoin and I thought "Hmm, I can't help it on its mission but I really would like to add the icon to my page." so I grabbed it and then dropped it right back into the same cache, not really thinking that I was causing any problems.

As long as any change to the logging process doesn't affect my ability to dip our personal TB in our cache finds I have no objection.

Just a suggestion. If your email allows you to filter SPAM by search keywords in the subject line then you can filter out coin logs too... make it search for grabbed and dropped and move these logs to a separate folder. All of my coins include Jen's or TBA's and Geocoin, so I used these as my search words, and all coin logs now go to a separate folder rather than my inbox. The I can mass delete w/ shift/copy etc or if I chose I can scroll to see if anyone had comments.

<_<

I have an Ohio Geocoin for 2005 that I keep with me and I log it into every cache that I find. I started in this hobby in October of 2005 and I live in Ohio. I am using the coin to show on a google map where I have been and how far I've gone. I am not into this coin/tb grabbing to have an icon on my site, however, I have grabbed a few at events just because I liked the coin and it's logo. There are WAY too many coins out there to worry about getting them all but being a collector in another hobby, I see and appreciate the draw.

So as for me, I don't want to loose the tracking that I do with my coin to show where I've been.

I do hope that something good comes out of this to make everyone happy.

Thanks for reading!