Excuses Made To Muggles Whilst Caching

Hi yester whilst caching with JGG we where looking for a micro on this cache but whilst looking there where some kids playing we decided to return to the car but whlst walking back we decied to pretend we where looking for conkers <_< so we walked pass the kids saying cor i couldn't find that big conker!

Enough about me lets here your excuses!! :o

rchicken.gifDa Rubber Chickenrchicken.gif

I always take my camera with me when caching.

Apart from taking naff photos of me/her/cache box, it's great when I get caught out in a sus place...

Whip out the camera and start taking piccy's of birds, buildings, fences, whatever. Everyone is an expert at something :o

I remember once I was creeping about under a bush (the only bush within 100 yards of aything!) and a muggle started to approach.

I pulled the camera out and started to take a photo of a slug.

He asked what I was doing...

a slug expert, that's me!

<_<:P:D:D

Jon

We were looking in a cache on Bridleway in the weekend, when a horse with rider went past us.

I said to Margaret, is that the last of the cookies? As were looking into a lunch box style cache. I think it worked!!!

It was just luckly it wsn't a ammo box, is that the last shell?

See ya...Gary

Yep the camera one is good one. ANd I've now got some brilliant pictures of wood ants, fungi etc. I'm turning into quite a wildlife photographer. But someone did accidentally call my bluff a while ago and ask me the name of the flower that I was photographing and I didn't have a clue.

More interesting thought - I want to know what on earth the muggles are doing in some of the locations. I've got a good reason for poking about in this bit of the forest, but why are they wandering around for half an hour.

Yesterday I was sure we were behind a fellow cacher as she was walking so slowly and studying every inch of the ditch. So we stopped at the gate and watched as she did this the whole length of the field. But they we realised she didn't consult a GPS and continued doing the same in the next field.

So what would she have said if we confronted her.

The only other similar experience we had was waiting for a person to move on from a 'coal post' so we could get the cache replaced, and she was waiting for us to go so she could take a photo of the coal post. She was too embarrassed to reveal her intentions. But once we took the courage to 'investigate' the coal post and show that we knew a bit about them she was happy to take her photo and move on.

The usual one for us is that we're in the middle of a Treasure Hunt, which is of course true to some degree and avoids having to go into any technical detail.

Another is to blame the kids...

"Well where did you leave it <insert-micro-cachers-name-here> ?"

The other day though, I was ready armed with an alibi when poking around in the rafters of a small building... "Me? Investigating local Bat colonies!" <_<

Edited by The Knights who say Ni

:P

What are "conkers"? That's a new one on me.  :o

buckeye - the inedible nutlike seed of the horse chestnut

Conker is the name used in Britain, Ireland and some former British colonies for the nuts of the Horse-chestnut tree Aesculus hippocastanum, when used in a game traditionally played by children, Conkers. The name comes from the nineteenth-century dialectal word conker meaning snail-shell, as the game was originally played using snail shells.

Hope this helps.

Trough Spotting was one excuse we had to use once!! <_<

What are "conkers"? That's a new one on me.  :o

I see you are from New Jersey.

Conkers are the seeds of the horse chestnut tree. A tradition in the UK is to drill a hole in your conker and put some string through it. You then swing your conker at someones elses until one breaks.

Another tradition is to tamper with conkers to make them harder by soaking in vinegar, baking in the oven, varnish or as i did painting a stone as an imitation conker.

The conker world championships are held in the UK yearly (like baseballs world series is held in the US)

A quick google will reveal all.

NB our disguise is having three kids running arround like mad at all times.

edit to add

hey snap <_<

Edited by markandlynn

While replacing a canalside cache I had to pretend to pick up some dog mess for AGES as its a long straight towpath & very slow walking muggles took ages to pass us.

"Answering a call" on my GPRs & faking a conversation for several minutes..

Must remember the one about the bats.. could be useful.

More interesting thought - I want to know what on earth the muggles are doing in some of the locations. 

Yesterday I was sure we were behind a fellow cacher as she was walking so slowly and studying every inch of the ditch.  So we stopped at the gate and watched as she did this the whole length of the field. 

My guess would be that she was probably a genuine botanist searching for very rare specimens of Lesser Ditchwort, or something! <_<

More interesting thought - I want to know what on earth the muggles are doing in some of the locations. I've got a good reason for poking about in this bit of the forest, but why are they wandering around for half an hour.

Hey now that's an interesting point!

Dogs with muggles in tow maybe; walkers with sticks and strides tucked into their socks, maybe...

but everybody else must SURELY be a bit sus????

:o<_<:P

Jon

Bonnie and I have never been actually spoken to by a muggle but once on a Chester City blitz a couple walked past us a few times giving us some funny looks so out came the camera,Bonnie was no use thou as she almost wet herself as I asked her to pose and there was nothing else interesting to photograph but hey.... they didnt know that did they ?

Again on the same day, the old 'change the batterys in camera' came in useful but we got approached by another couple who said 'we've just done that'....its was some fellow cachers who had just found it 10 mins previously.

I do agree about the hi-visibilty jacket thou, you would just look like a workman/council type person and have often thought of getting a jacket. :D

I've only been asked what i've been upto once. I haven't been caching long though. The question was what are you looking for, came from a guy who had just been searching in the trees himself. Not quite sure why he asked me that though because all he'd seen me do was approach the carpark with my camera, take some photos, then walk round the carpark to see how to get out.

I replied "Nothing", but soon realised that he could be another cacher. However, watching the logs for that cache suggests he's been seen again.

Its a weird world out there...

adambro

I remember doing a cache once in attleborough, I was looking for a while in a small tree area and despite I had thrown the cache aside (well camod) I kept looking and then I noticed a few ladies with their dogs going past so I suddenly started in pretend to drink from a flask I had with me. it was actually a new cache container which I had just got from a charity shop.

"I am doing a survey for the National Institute of Ground Inspectors"

And yoiu know it works!

As an extension to this one and because I am particuarly good at straight faces whilst keeping the tongue in cheek (Yellow Etrex waved around is a definite Aid here) ... "I am sorry Sir / Madam but we've had reports of excessive background radiation in this area ... havent you seen the signs ? .... short replies and fast departures normally ensue ... Then its back to the rummaging in bushes :D

Edit to learn to sepll :D

Edited by JollyJax

buckeye - the inedible nutlike seed of the horse chestnut

Conker is the name used in Britain, Ireland and some former British colonies for the nuts of the Horse-chestnut tree Aesculus hippocastanum, when used in a game traditionally played by children, Conkers. The name comes from the nineteenth-century dialectal word conker meaning snail-shell, as the game was originally played using snail shells.

Hope this helps.

Trough Spotting was one excuse we had to use once!! :D

WOW well amazed

I've only been asked what I was doing once. Since I was under bright headlights from two cars at the time and the folks asking happened to be 3 police officers who had just gotten out of those cars I said I was Geocaching. :D

They didn't know what that is but I had the micro in hand and showed it to them and they watched me put it back. It was definitely "interesting"

I was once making notes on my PDA when I was asked what I was doing. Told the muggle that I worked for a large film company and was looking for locations for the next block buster film. I told them I couldnt tell them the name of the film but watch out around christmas. they went off saying they must tell their friends!!!!!!!

Generally I don't get asked what I'm doing..... The sight of some scruffy ol' git in worn out camo and a funny hat, walking round in circles, muttering obscenities into the 'mobile phone' he's holding at arms length sends most respectable people running off in the opposite direction holding on tightly to their children. On the odd time that I have been engaged in conversation, I usually tell them I help out with a Scout Troop and I'm planning an 'initiative/navigation/woodcraft exercise' for them. That's always worked for me.

While climbing out of a random bush with a young friend in tow, I've often had to pretend to be a homosexual to defuse the suspicions of muggles. Works a treat, especially if you check your flies and smack your fellow cacher on the bum as you walk off.

SP B)

Edited to add 'Joke!' for anyone who missed the subtle humour.

Edited by Simply Paul
While climbing out of a random bush with a young friend in tow, I've often had to pretend to be a homosexual to defuse the suspicions of muggles. Works a treat, especially if you check your flies and smack your fellow cacher on the bum as you walk off.

SP B)

So let me get this straight, you'd rather think that you're an older homosexual predator grooming a younger person than a geocacher? B)

I tend to carry a camera and just do the wildlife photographer thing. If the person doesn't get the hint then bluntly tell them that they're scaring off the potential animals. B)

Me : "Ah hello there.  Tell me, have you  welcomed our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ into your life yet?"

Muggle : "Eeek!!" runs away

Try it, it really works!  B)

*giggle* B) But that's dangerous. One day someone will beam back at you, say "YES, halleluia, Praise His name" etc and you'll be stuck having to dredge up bible verses for four hours when all you're really after is tupperware....

Mind you, one day Simply Paul's ruse is going to get him propositioned, so I suppose it's safer than that!

I haven't made any good excuses yet, though I'm definitely going to try some of these (no, not SP's!) I did once bargain with two lovers sitting on a bench, that if they'd let me see whose name was carved on the bench I'd go away and leave them in peace! They didn't ask why. I suspect they just thought I was mad.

I did once bargain with two lovers sitting on a bench, that if they'd let me see whose name was carved on the bench I'd go away and leave them in peace!  They didn't ask why.  I suspect they just thought I was mad.

Thats quite perceptive of them then, my dear! :(

Well, what's YOUR excuse then?

;)

(I also told the bench-occupying lovey dovey muggles that if any other lunatics should come along and ask them whose name was on the bench, they should tell them "John" (which it wasn't). Well, I was trying for a FTF and I didn't want someone overtaking me, did I?! This may not have done much to inspire their confidence in my sanity...)

SP :(

Edited to add 'Joke!' for anyone who missed the subtle humour.

Simply Paul Caching team ;)

39a14b96-cfd6-472f-9f4f-6c74586cdfb0.jpg

Usually the camera. Being a keen photographer my main camera is a big and bulky SLR so I use the wife's digicam. It's great because with a screen that swivels I can squat down, rotate the screen so I can frame some truly surreal abstract pictures and use my free hand to rummage.

I managed to grab, sign and replace a microcache on London's Millennium Bridge using this method, with dozens of people walking past less than a foot away. Around that area there are so many tourists taking pictures nobody bats an eyelid when a camera appears.

I have used a couple of excuses in the past but sometimes its just best to be honest..... here is an extract of a log I made last week

:lol:;):):):)

It was a foggy morning (this is just setting the scene) and I arrived at the office to start a good hard days work (well thats blown that I said as a new cache appeared)

So in my leather shoes and suit I set off with cache details in my hand.

I arrived at the chosen parking spot to find I was only dressed in my shirt and tie with no jacket. Now as it was thick fog swirling around, with a slight drizzle, I grabbed the only item of clothing in the car.... a victorian black heavy overcoat.... this item I had just picked up the night before from my mothers for a fancy dress party in a couple of weeks.

So dressed in my overcoat (I left the top hat in the car !) I proceeded to the cache location.

I must now appologise to the two young local ladies who were walking their dog, who where more than surprised when a vampire looking creature emerged from some bushes with fog swirling around !!!!

I quicky thought I had better told them the truth.... no excuses this time.... so after a nice chat they went on their way.... If they read this log... I appologise !

Signed log and left before anyone else appeared.

:D:D:D