Losing My Geocaching Buddy

Dana and Cocoa

What terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost mine a couple of years ago, and although we never got to geocache together, I'm sure she would have loved it. I've only taken our new dog out caching once and realized we need a bit more obedience time together before we try that again. The cache we were looking for was only a 1/1, but I rate the difficulty of tracking him down after he ran off a 5/5. :)

Sorry to hear about your dog. I still get choked up talking about the cats I've lost even though I have different cats now. Each time I say I'm done, no more furry little pets, but I always get more eventually. Just remember all the fun you've had together and give him all the comfort you can in his remaining days.

Edited by Team Red Oak

Sorry to hear about your buddy. We lost both of our golden retriever geodogs in 2004. We lost Snickers Aug 3 at the age of 13 years, 11 months and we lost her sister, Casper on Dec 8 at the age of 14 years, 3 months. It is never easy no matter what age they are. As long as you know you've given them the best life you can, that is what counts. We now have golden sisters again. They are 4 months old now and have already done a number of caches. They can't replace Casper and Snickers but they have already filled our hearts with so much love.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

There are many dogs out there that are not lucky enough to have a home such as you provided for your dog.  When the time is right, you might consider adopting a new friend from your local animal shelter.

Crunchie was a rescue dog, I will never have a dog that isn't. You are right, there are so many that need homes.

I never thought I would have a small dog, but he came along, he needed some love and TLC. He wormed his way into my heart like small dogs have a way of doing! He has had a wonderful life here with me. He's climbed many a mountain, in fact, the most frequent question I have gotten at the summits is, "Did that little dog climb all the way up here?" I have some great pictures of us together on the summits. He has been as good a hiker as any big dog.

We aren't going to give up without a fight, but I won't let him suffer either.

It will be awhile before I will be able to let another dog into my heart, but I know I will, I can't imagine life without one!

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It's a help to know there are so many out there that understand my pain.

Edited by danaG

Oh yes, we, too, know the pain of having to say goodbye to our beloved dogs. Our two special geo-dogs, Maggie the border collie and Rusty the golden retriever, went to the rainbow bridge within about a year of each other. Like, you, Dana, all our dogs are rescues.

We are now privileged to be owned by Carly the black lab mix and Sadie the Brittany spaniel/hound mix. They've been on a few cache hunts with hopefully many more to come.

No dog ever replaces another, but they each manage to make their own special spot in your heart. What an incredible bargain - for the price of some food, toys, vet care, etc., you get unconditional love and loyalty.

Sending happy thoughts to you and your precious pup,

Mrs. Car54

I like to spread my experience that brought me to J.C.

I really loved my last dog Spike. He was just a regular old dog and really knew no tricks or anything, but he was a sweetheart. When we lost him it was sudden, so it sort of shocked me a bit and really hurt more I think. I had time to say goodbye to an old sick cat I had at the time. My cat lived to be 18+ while Spike barely made it to 10.

We volunteered at an animal shelter for an adoption day. My wife really wanted one of the puppies, but I was still smarting a bit. She begged and begged and I finally said yes. It was the best decision we ever made. J.C. did not replace Spike, but he did fill the hole in my heart and then some. He has been a special treat and we were lucky cross his path.

Don't hesitate too long. I almost did and could have missed one of the great dogs on this planet. He is spoiled rotten by us and he loves us devoutly. You will find another special friend out there, I know it. Just remember that you are giving him/her the gift of a loving home and they will give you back their devotion and companionship.

(EDIT: I just had to add this pic from the other day.)

JCyardrunning.jpg

Edited by mtn-man

Just wanted to say that I feel your pain :cry: I had to put my beloved childhood pup down and it was the hardest thing I did. It still makes me cry just to think about it and this was a little over 4 years ago.

Crunchie will always hold a special place in your heat, just treasure the time you do have together.

My thoughts are will you and your little guy.

Crystal

The Rainbow Bridge story was so nice, it made me cry a little at work! I hate to cry and crying at work is even worse. But it also made me smile because I pictured my favorite cat Pumpkin waiting for me, then I pictured all my cats who have gone and the ones I have now who will probably go before me and the ones I get after that and it made me realize that I may be the crazy cat lady at the Rainbow Bridge and that made me laugh and then cry.

All my cats have been and will be rescue cats. Except one I got from a farm at 8 weeks old, they all have been several months old or a few years old when I get them.

Anyway Dana we'll keep you in our thoughts and remember to smile so he can see you'll be okay.

Dawn from Team Red Oak

Im sorry to hear about your beloved dogs cancer. Cancer can be treated. Sometimes pets live a long time after a bout with cancer. Hopefully your vet can help your dog.

Some people say we shouldnt grieve for an animal. Ive never understood that. My pets hold a prominent place in my heart. They bring great joy and love in our lives. Enjoy the time with your companion now. Know that your dog was well loved and cared for on his or her time on earth. When your heart is ready, welcome a new companion into your life. Im sure you will always have room in your heart, and love to give.

Im going to hug my little geodoglet and cat. Im sure they will be thrilled. Then Im taking the geodoglet for a carride. The high point of her day. An afternoon with the husband and dog. Life doesnt get much better than that.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I'm sorry for your loss, but I encourage you to get another dog. Believe me I've been there and couldn't bear the thought of trying to get another buddy, until forced to by my Wife. I'm so glad I did. You'll always have a warm spot for your little caching buddy and he for you. In time you'll be ready...I really believe in Rainbow Bridge and have some super friends waiting for me.

Jim

Pets are the angels among us, I swear.

This may be the best summary I've ever seen.

I've lost many dogs as well and had to put one down 2 years ago. While it was hard, I do cherish the last look she took at me before she left - it was so trusting, honest & thankful that I will never forget it.

My last Shepherd died unexpectedly while we were on vacation - we never got to say goodbye to him in person and that kills me.

As others have said - we know your pain and wish you the all the best in the coming months.

Sorry to hear about that. <_< My dogs are the world to me and we've been through some health concerns with one recently... hopefully she's turned the corner, I couldn't imagine having to part with her so soon, and she's 5 (close to the same age as your dog).

Do remember that you've probably got some good quality time left, use it to the fullest! And should the time come to help your dog pass over the rainbow bridge, be sure to be there with him at the vet.

Take care.

<_<

I am very sorry to hear about your little buddy. I heard it said one time and I believe it's true, that the reason dogs don't live as long as people is because if dogs lived that long, losing them would be unbearable.

I once did a multi-cemetery geocache that took me to several people cemeteries and a couple pet cemeteries, and I always got the most emotional at the pet cemeteries.

Jim

So I had to put my best friend to sleep on Oct. 13th. It's been an extremely difficult month for me. :laughing:

Last week I went to the shelter and adopted a shepard mix named Cocoa. I took her on her first Geocache search today. She was really good and it was nice to have company again.

My broken heart is not healed, but I think I have taken a large step in the right direction at least...

Dana, thats great news! I am glad you have gotten yourself another good friend. She will never replace the one you lost but will fill some of the part that is damaged, and in time will be a huge part of your future life together.

I just have to add a few poems here, something for you to read and maybe help you a bit.

If I could catch a rainbow

I would do it just for you

and share with you its beauty

On the days you're feeling blue.

If I could build a mountain

You could call your very own

A place to find serenity

A place to be alone

If I could take your troubles

I would toss them! in the sea

But all these things I'm finding

are impossible for me.

I cannot build a mountain

Or catch a rainbow fair

But let me be what I know best-

A friend who's always there.

(Keep this poem in mind when your out geocaching with your new best friend)

And how do you know that your previous best friend is not there with you??

We Have a Secret

We have a secret, you and I, that no one else shall know.

For who but I, can see you lie each night in fire glow?

And who but I can reach my hand before we go to bed,

and feel the living warmth of you and touch your silken head?

And only I, walk woodland paths and see ahead of me,

your dark form racing with the wind so young again, and free.

And only I can see you swimming in every brook I pass.

And when I call, no one but I can see the bending grass.

Hugs to you my fellow dog lover and geocacher!

We have had to put a 14 year old sheltie and 2 cats down in the last while It never gets easy thats for sure...With the Sheltie (Babe), we finnaly had her put down after a 3 year bout with Arthritis... I held her in my arms when the vet put her to sleep...Her body just went limp and I could tell she was no more :laughing:

My wife found this site Pet loss we put a little note about babe and now when ever we think about her, we go and look at the page.

here is what we put

Sarita's Special Babe, 06/02/87-12/14/01

It has been a year since you have gone. Our hearts still ache and tears still fall. We wonder just how well you are as we watch the evening stars. As you sit on our mantle still, I often sit alone and cry. You fought a battle long and hard and in the end you heard the call. Rest in peace my little girl and till we meet again one day, you'll always be right inside our hearts and that is were you'll always stay.

We still think about her all the time...

I hope the website helps you alittle

C2C2C

We put our little Cujo to sleep a few years ago. She had breast cancer. Her last day was a good one. The pain was just starting to set in so she was still able to do things.

I took her to Mc Donalds, then we went to all the places we used to take her to play. We built a whole day of wonderful memories.

Then we did the hardest thing we have ever had to do and put her to sleep.

The next dog we get will be a Jack Russle Terrier.

I know how you feel. It is hard to lose such a loyal friend. But there are so many more out there just waiting to love you and be loved by you.

You are not replacing your friend - nothing can. You are simply making a new one when the time comes.

So sorry about your dog. I can't count how many dogs, cats, horses, and rabbits who have gone. All of our dogs are rescues, most of the cats, and a couple of the horses.

Anybody need a couple of nice chow-mix puppies?

Regards,

Maggie (human), Sadie, Sam, Sasha the 3-legged Wonderdog, Katie, Cassie, Paco, and Coma the dogs, Fluff, Kitty Marie, Trouble, Olive, Danni, Harri, and Jessicat the cats, Bonnie the Clyde, Bud Light, Belgian Waffle, Shadow, Jazzy, and Lucky the horses. Oh, and Finley the Betta and Flippo the Clown Plecostamus.

I feel for you in this situation. You may want to get another dog now, instead of waiting till later. My uncle's dog has tumors, and his vet recommended getting a second dog, he said that it gives the other dog an emotional "lift", that they don't interpret it as you replacing them early. They see it as a friend. I wouldn't recommend a puppy, but an adult dog a few years old.

Edited by Polgara
So I had to put my best friend to sleep on Oct. 13th. It's been an extremely difficult month for me. :P

Last week I went to the shelter and adopted a shepard mix named Cocoa. I took her on her first Geocache search today. She was really good and it was nice to have company again.

My broken heart is not healed, but I think I have taken a large step in the right direction at least...

It is a huge step in the right direction danaG. Like I said in this post above in this topic, getting J.C. was the greatest thing we did. It really helped me move on from our first dog, Spike. Take lots of pictures of Cocoa as she grows up. They are invaluable. I still have Spike on our screensaver rotation on our computer. Cocoa will never replace your last pup, but she will certain fill the gap you feel in your life.

I am very happy to hear about Cocoa.

Post a picture of her here for us when you can! :D