Wife Swap!

So I’m walking through the Florida mall in Orlando during my lunch hour. On my way out I noticed that there was an ABC booth set up. I walked about 150 feet past it and then decided to go back and check it out. They were signing people up for their Wife Swap show.

So I asked the girl about it and she told me what they were doing and she asked if I was married. I told her I was and had three little boys and she got very interested in our family and insisted that I sit down right then and there and fill out an application. She sat beside me as I filled out the application and she asked me a bunch more questions and became enthused about our chances to get on the show. Then she said she wanted me to call my wife and have her come down and audition…right now!

So I called up MonkeeWife and gave her the scoop. She was a little skeptical of the whole thing, but eventually got into it. She came down with all three boys and we did our audition. The casting director was interested in two things from our family:

• Our “boys outnumber girl” situation
  • Our anti-cable-TV, anti-video game, get-off-the-couch-and-go-outside-and-play philosophy

What really set her off though was when we told her about geocaching. They thought that would make a compelling show right there: Drag some couch potato, TV-watching, anti-exercise wife out for a mountain biking ride with the boys to find a geocache in the woods during a hot Florida day. I agree, that would make a great show.

We’ll find out if we make the cut for the next round within a week. That decision is made by someone up in NY. Either way we had a blast today auditioning.

Edited by CacheMonkeez

well, if it's on cable, I'll have to find someone who will record it for me.

you aren't the only anti-cable, etc. fella out there, and I am certainly glad to find out that I am not the only one, either!

Still, it might be fun to go to the trouble of seeing the pasty-faced, lardbottom, afraid of anything that crawls troglodyte woman slogging through the healthy forest...

....come to think of it, I believe that this would be a great disservice to the natural denizens, both animal and vegetable, of the ecosystem. Make her stay at home!

Congrats!! I hope you get it with the the fifty thousand they offer each family. Just becareful on how they portray geocaching. I saw a couple of episodes of that show where they portrayed different people's lifestyles or hobbies as being STRANGE!

Good Luck!

uh.......you haven't been in off-topic lately, have you? :lol::lol:

The show is a riot, except it also makes you think about your own situation. That's a good thing but sometimes recognizing where you fall short isn't so fun.

I think the average joe (or Joe-ette) is too busy laughing at the other person to see how they don't measure up. . .wtg on your introspection! :lol:

Anyone else see a new fad starting. With all the geocoin collecting and the Georgia coin getting over $48 on EBAY, I wonder what I could get for a good Geowife? I can see the ad now:

"Slightly used but in decent condition. All original equipment with some slight modifications. Comes with hydraytion pack, GPSr, walking stick, 1 year premium membership to GC.com, and a PDA preprogrammed with over 1,000 caches. Act now and I will throw in 5 free cooking classes from the "Beyond Microwaving" series as well as admission to the semiar of "Dusting: It's not just for old people dear". No Reserve. Free shipping."

Congrats!! I hope you get it with the the fifty thousand they offer each family. Just becareful on how they portray geocaching. I saw a couple of episodes of that show where they portrayed different people's lifestyles or hobbies as being STRANGE!

Good Luck!

The 50K is for the Fox version of the show called Spouse Swap or something like that. ABC provides 20K for Wife Swap.

My wife is a nationally published author (Jeannette Angell) and she has been on several national "talk" type shows. I echo the sentiments expressed by one of the other poster. You must be very careful with some of the shows. Some of experieces have been very positive and some have been very negative. (In particular Oprah treated her very, very poorly. She even had to sign a contract before the show saying that she wouldn't dicuss the show afterwards. Fortuanately, I never signed such a contract!)

So yes, being on television can be a positive experiece, especially for the money you evidentally get. But you need to do your homework very carefully and trust your feelings. I wanted to cancel the Oprah shooting after I saw some of the preliminary Boston shoots, I should have.

(and yes, she caches also and is planning her first hide!)

Well if you do get picked, and decide to go caching, please pick:

1) A real geocache in the woods and not a lame drive up micro

2) One that you know is there

3) One that isn't BURIED!

4) One that has good trade items

5) A cache that isn't surrounded by poison ivy or anything other poisonous plants

Well if you do get picked, and decide to go caching, please pick:

1) A real geocache in the woods and not a lame drive up micro

2) One that you know is there

3) One that isn't BURIED!

4) One that has good trade items

5) A cache that isn't surrounded by poison ivy or anything other poisonous plants

My thoughts exactly. I would try to pick an extreme cache that would require excessive sweating, mud, and maybe some wading or bushwacking.

One that isn't ultra tough, like a mountain climb, but it does show some neat areas that most people wouldn't see and most would love to explore and visit. The excessive sweating and mud and bushwacking wouldn't make it on tv I suspect, but a nice visual might, like a hidden creek or waterfall. And even if the bushwacking did, I would think alot of the lazy bums that sit at home watching tv all evening wouldn't be interested.

Edited by twjolson & Kay
One that isn't ultra tough, like a mountain climb, but it does show some neat areas that most people wouldn't see and most would love to explore and visit. The excessive sweating and mud and bushwacking wouldn't make it on tv I suspect, but a nice visual might, like a hidden creek or waterfall. And even if the bushwacking did, I would think alot of the lazy bums that sit at home watching tv all evening wouldn't be interested.

One has to keep in mind that the camera team must be able to follow with their gear as well.

Jan

One has to keep in mind that the camera team must be able to follow with their gear as well.

Jan

The perfect place (then re-enact the episode of the most recent DNF)! :lol::rolleyes: