4 Ftfs, 4 Empty Caches

Bobthearch

A two-week geocacher in my area has been going on a cache-hiding frenzy. Their current stats are 4 finds, 6 hides. Of their 6 hidden caches, I've been FTF on four of them. At each location the cache was empty except for the logbook, pencil, and one small item. For instance, one cache was a bundle of hair ties and another was two AA batteries. (Some FTF prizes, huh?)

My 'signature' item is a collection of freeware astronomy software, or sometimes an inexpensive new calculator or something similar when I don't have any CDs on hand. I invested many hours into creating these CDs, but I don't mind leaving them for the priviledge of clearing out rocks and candy wrappers from caches. But leaving them as gifts in brand new, empty cache containers is leaving a sour taste.

Additionally, each of their caches is identically-hidden, located within a few feet of pavement, and vey easy to find.

My point is to come to this question: Is is appropriate to ask them to knock it off? Or in the nicest way possible remind them that the idea of placing a cache is to stock it with interesting, thoughtful items? I'm concerned that if this keeps going, there'll be dozens and dozens of empty tupperware tubs left throughout the area...

Any thoughts?

-Bob

My point is to come to this question: Is is appropriate to ask them to knock it off? Or in the nicest way possible remind them that the idea of placing a cache is to stock it with interesting, thoughtful items? I'm concerned that if this keeps going, there'll be dozens and dozens of empty tupperware tubs left throughout the area..

Why not invite them on a cache hunting day with you to show them some of the better caches in the area? You can then channel some of their eagerness into higher quality hides for you to seek out. I find showing is always better than telling. This way not only do you explain the 'error' of their ways to them but demonstrate the difference between quality and quantity. Of course any who knows me know I like it both ways. ;)

I don' know if saying "knock it off" is a good idea, but you can say something in your log like "the cache was nearly empty, I hope someone didn't rob it".

You can also express concern about the cache's location.

I would hope that would get the message accross. If not, just consider this person's caches to be "log only" in the future.

What's the issue?

You are willing to help out a cache by trading for rocks and candy wrappers (Left in bad faith by dweezils).

You are not willing to help out a cache that the owner placed that meets all the requirements of a cache. (Let at a minmum by a person wanting to give back to the game at a minimal level which trumps rocks and candy wrapers in my book)

I get the feeling that you are bent by feeling obligated to leave something in a container sparsely populated with SWAG. However you aren't. TNLN is valid. If someone sees a truly worthy cache sometimes people will leave something especially nice because the cache met what they consider a higher standard.

Personally I've left caches with good swag, medium swag, and no swag. I've had a cache lifted that Had 5 or 6 Harry Potter T-Shirts. My hardest cache has keychains I've had custom made for it as a prize. However I don't think twice about a log book only cache either. I've even 'gasp' placed caches with no logs back in the day when micro's were still considered too small for a log. People trade as they will and I don't sweat it.

Edit to add: As for the easy finds. "Wow, this cache gave me a seriouse case of Deja Vu, I had to stop and think about whether or not I've been here befor it's so similar to another cache I've done recently" Or something else. Pretty much all logs are valid including 'the lack of swag sucked'.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I can tell you are disapointed, but I would still leave the cool stuff you usually do so the next one behind you has something interesting to find. Then maybe they will leave some good stuff too. I do admire people for at least getting out there and establishing new caches. I have been (over thinking) a few for months and just haven't gotten around to hide them yet!

My only questions is why would a local approver approve 6 caches for someone who has only found 4?

I know there is and should not be a rule about this, but I'd like to think that an approver would have suggested that a newbie concentrate on finding caches early on so that he/she would have experienced a variety of hides before setting off on a sub-par cache hiding frenzy.

Some people only like to hide. No need to make up rules about some sort of find to hide ratio in order to hide new caches.

As criminal said, the person needs some feedback -- communication. Do it gently. They're newbies and are actually trying to add to the fun of the game. Guide their efforts. Maybe offer to go meet them and have a soda together and discuss geocaching, or maybe go geocaching together! Make it a good experience for them and they will blossom and learn from the experience and count you as one of their good friends in the game. It's not just about the finds or the hides, it's about the fun, too.

My only questions is why would a local approver approve 6 caches for someone who has only found 4?

I know there is and should not be a rule about this, but I'd like to think that an approver would have suggested that a newbie concentrate on finding caches early on so that he/she would have experienced a variety of hides before setting off on a sub-par cache hiding frenzy.

Did you talk to the reviewer? did they tell you they did not suggest that?

If a cache meets the requirements which at the minimum is a log book and a container then it is listed. Since there is no you must find X number of caches before you can hide one what else could the reviewer do but list it? It met the guidelines.

Sub-par caches are not limited to new people. I know of those with more than 100 finds who's first hide was sub-par. It doesn't matter if it was in your opinion sub-par. The person hid a cache and had fun doing so. That is what matters.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Here are examples of online log comments I've left:

Hard to believe our tiny local state park needed a ~fourth~ cache, especially with millions of acres of public land in N.M. But what the heck...

and this:

Apparantly the "First to Find" prize is a bundle of hair ties; I declined. Otherwise the cache is empty except for the logbook and pencil, and a CD of astronomy software that I left.

So maybe they'll get the hint?

-Bob

Give it some time and I suspect one of three things will happen:

1. The hider will get better. I'd like to think my later hides are much better than my first ones. I've even gone back and "tweaked" some of the earlier ones after learning more.

2. The hider's caches will be plundered, because they are not well hidden, and he will lose interest.

3. Always a possibility, dude is oblivious and goes right on merrily dropping cahes like appleseeds until all the locals figure it out and his latest hide goes 3 months without a find!

Hope it works out, but in fairness, none of us knew how to geocache 6 years ago!

I get the feeling that you are bent by feeling obligated to leave something in a container sparsely populated with SWAG. However you aren't. TNLN is valid. If someone sees a truly worthy cache sometimes people will leave something especially nice because the cache met what they consider a higher standard

gotta agree. I'd just TNLN. Maybe I'd log a "hint." Until I get there, I'm not exactly sure what I'd say.

Sure, blame it on the reviewer.

In reading the logs left by the reviewer on the three caches hidden by the new geocacher and found by the original poster, I see that the reviewer left notes on two of them to explain the terrain rating system (since Terrain-1 caches are a frequent source for complaints) -- both of which resulted in ratings adjustments -- and on the third cache, the reviewer caught an error in the coordinates, which got fixed before the cache went live. I'd call that being helpful to a new hider. Just how many notes do you expect the reviewer to leave before we scare off a new geocacher? Remember there's the "too many rules" crowd and the "why do reviews take so long" crowd to keep happy, too.

But pardon me for letting facts get in the way of your argument. ;)

I've been FTF on four of them.  At each location the cache was empty except for the logbook, pencil, and one small item.  For instance, one cache was a bundle of hair ties and another was two AA batteries.  (Some FTF prizes, huh?)

I've got 25 FTF's I think I took one thing and that was because it was the hiders signature item. I could care less if the cache has a FTF prize. I just like the challenge of finding it first. ;)

My point is to come to this question: Is is appropriate to ask them to knock it off? Or in the nicest way possible remind them that the idea of placing a cache is to stock it with interesting, thoughtful items? I'm concerned that if this keeps going, there'll be dozens and dozens of empty tupperware tubs left throughout the area...

Any thoughts?

Well, actually, that's your idea of how to place a cache. Whether or not it is shared by a majority of others it still isn't a requirement.

If you don't wanna leave your sig item, then don't. Mark it as TNLN, and if you have a comment either put it in the logs or email the owner. Most folks will read the logs on their caches and quickly catch on to their shortcomings. And if the individual continues to place caches that don't meet your criteria, stop looking for them.

But pardon me for letting facts get in the way of your argument. 

Guess I did not have the facts before questioning a reviewer's actions. Please forgive me. ;)

Truth be told, I'd rather find a nearly empty cache with a single item and log book than have to rummage through moldy and dirty mc-toys to find the log book. :P

But pardon me for letting facts get in the way of your argument. 

Guess I did not have the facts before questioning a reviewer's actions. Please forgive me. ;)

Truth be told, I'd rather find a nearly empty cache with a single item and log book than have to rummage through moldy and dirty mc-toys to find the log book. :P

All's forgiven. If you'd like examples where the reviewer did *not* ask enough questions, just ask. I've got tons of those examples for sale. Moun10Bike mistakes sell for $100 because they are so rare. Keystone mistakes are priced at two for a nickel.

Good point, Major C. I never intended to stop looking for them. But I'll try to come up with a variety of trade items so the Second-to-Find people won't get sick of computer CDs...

If there had been one, I certainly wouldn't have taken the FTF 'prize' from each location anyway. I mean, how sporting is that with exactly two local geocachers, the folks that hid them and myself. Whoever drove down the road first with a GPS was obviously going to find every cache first.

I guess if they keep laying them around, I'll keep looking. And I'll continue leaving the 'swag-pile' better than I found it.

It has motivated me to start preparing for a cache I've been thinking of placing. Want to get 'er done before someone puts an empty tub there first...

Happy Trails,

Bob

Here in the darkness of our cave, we can only applaud the cacher for his hides. So maybe they do not meet the standards of some, at least they are trying and they will probably get better with experience. Some people don't like our method of throwing hide-a-key containers out the window at 55 MPH and noting the coords of the ones that stick on the guardrails, but some do. I'd love to have him around here to hide caches for me to find. I wish more people would hide. Ijust wonder if some of them may be I'm afraid to hide caches due to potential criticiwm? Ssorry, the keyoboard is having a stroke., The noobie may find the logs a little harsh... We think some of the complaints are just a little iddy bit nitpicky, but that's just us. We have found some caches that we thought were a lot better than others, and frankly some of our hides are pretty lame, but then once in a while we hit a homer with a cache hide that we're really proud of. And micros have no swag at all usually, so what's the problem? Anyway, we appriciate the hiders' efforts on all caches now, but when we were newer we were more critical.. ;)

Is is appropriate to ask them to knock it off?

6 new caches in an area were caches are few and far between and you want them to "knock it off" just because they didn't fill their caches with dollar store junk... are you mad?

I'll trade you a dozen burned out Southern Oregon cachers for these new enthusiastic ones.

6 new caches in an area were caches are few and far between and you want them to "knock it off" just because they didn't fill their caches with dollar store junk... are you mad?

I'll trade you a dozen burned out Southern Oregon cachers for these new enthusiastic ones.

WE agree 100%, Blazer. We've visited a few of the cache pages and they seem like places we'd really like to go, especially a waterfall! (We have three little waterfall caches). This noobie rocks! Maybe the OP should invite the noobie to find some of HIS caches, to see how it should be done...

And if the individual continues to place caches that don't meet your criteria, stop looking for them.

Thank you, I'm glad someone finally mentioned that. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and ordering you to find the cache.

There is a small handful of people whose caches I refuse to find because I think they're terrible. Rather than complain about them, I just go looking for other caches instead.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Here are examples of online log comments I've left:

Hard to believe our tiny local state park needed a ~fourth~ cache, especially with millions of acres of public land in N.M. But what the heck...

and this:

Apparantly the "First to Find" prize is a bundle of hair ties; I declined. Otherwise the cache is empty except for the logbook and pencil, and a CD of astronomy software that I left.

So maybe they'll get the hint?

-Bob

I hesitate to sing this tune but...Not all caches are for all cachers and if you do not like them, do not hunt them. Also since when are we "owed" a cool FTF prize? When did this entitlement coma along?

I apologize if I misunderstood you post, but to me it comes across as if you expect/are owed/deserve a cool FTF prize or swag.

As others have mentioned, contact the cacher and offer to take them caching one day. This is a great way to be part of the solution, because everyone knows if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

You may also find out that this new cacher is in "poor health" and on a limited income, and cannot get very far off the road or afford cool swag, but has found a new hobby and just wants to contribute to it in his/her own way. It may be all they can afford to contribute.

Heck my parents, Okcherokee, are in there 60’s and questionable health, and I could see them placing some lame caches if Michelle and I were not around to show and tell them about “cool caches”.

More than likely everyone is assuming correctly, and the new cacher is in good health, has enough “extra money” around to get some descent swag, and is just placing un-informed lame caches, but on the off chance that my scenario is correct, you might not want to be so “mean-spirited” in you logs

Just thought I would offer a flip side to the coin.

Happy caching

I agree. I made a "Map it" on one of the caches, there really aren't that many caches around there. Others who like to trade may not agree, but I'm the TNLN sort of guy, and I really want the searching and the location to be worthwhile.

Hope you'll make him stuff the boxes with better things with your logs, Bob. However, I'm curious (as always). Do people trade your CD's? I would never use software from a homemade CD found in a cache.

Edited by Lean Wolf

FTF, it's a fun thing-for the hider and the finder. I love the FTF posting - it's a rush. I want to yell: "Somebody found it! My coords were good! It's ALIVE, do you hear me? ALIVE!!!"

On the other hand, I have a puzzle - I know that in one of my caches I put two gift certificates worth $5 each to a local business and neither has surfaced. It's kinda funny, every time I go in there, Mark says - I ain't seen them yet - and this is a nice pharmacy/gift store place. Beats me....

So I have no idea about some people's idea of swag or what to do with it.

Sorry, I'm totally confused here. You're title says "empty 'caches", but in your post you mention a log-book and swag. As far as I can tell, the ONLY requirements are:

1. Container; and

2. Logbook.

Having filled both of these, I don't see a problem. If you don't like quality of swag, you have two options. You can ignore new 'caches from this person, or you can contact him and try and sell him/her on the virutes of placing lots of expensive swag in their future 'caches.

To me, an enthusiastic hider like this is someone to help out and encourage. Maybe the 'caches aren't to your taste, but they sound fine to me. I would be more than happy to hunt them!

Edited by tirediron
Sorry, I'm totally confused here. You're title says "empty 'caches", but in your post you mention a log-book and swag. As far as I can tell, the ONLY requirements are:

1. Container; and

2. Logbook.

Having filled both of these, I don't see a problem. If you don't like quality of swag, you have two options. You can ignore new 'caches from this person, or you can contact him and try and sell him/her on the virutes of placing lots of expensive swag in their future 'caches.

To me, an enthusiastic hider like this is someone to help out and encourage. Maybe the 'caches aren't to your taste, but they sound fine to me. I would be more than happy to hunt them!

I have to disagree. The larger the cache the more stuff you HAVE to put in it.

;)

Here here, blazerfan.

Regardless of the swag, bobthearch, I would think you'd be delighted to have someone hiding caches in an area so light on them.

Maybe you could team up with this new cacher to do some great caches together. With your knowledge, having found many more than them, and their experience, having hidden many more than you, you could do great things.

Enjoy the fact that someone is nearby participating with you.

Here is my 2 cents.

Geocaching for me is all about finding a hidden box, and signing a log to prove I was there. I have never taken anything from a cache and I have no desire too. I simply like the feeling of getting to a cache that is either physically hard to get too, (like the top of a cliff for example, or on a small island, or at the end of a 6 hour canoe trip/portage) or, one which is mentally hard to find/decypher.

Taking other peoples junk isn't interesting for me. If all caches were nothing more than remotely hidden boxes, containing nothing but a log book, I would be a happy guy.

I suppose the feeling of a quest completed is, for me, a greater reward in itself.

Edited by Anarion

I am not sure what relevance this has.. We have some great hides around here and the hider has "count them" 0 finds... Yep, a couple of grandparents hid caches with the grandkids in mind. They just happen to be nice enough to allow us non-family to look for them also..

Great location and views.. Most of the cachers wont even go get them because you actually have to leave pavement to find it.. wow..

If I want to hide an ammo can with a log sheet only, that is my right. Anyone who yells at me for not leaving a huge amount of swag or a FTF prize will find the quick end to the delete button.

Everyone plays this game for there own enjoyment.

Instead of dictating how they should play, why not introduce yourself, meet them and see what there all about. 'Kock it off' email would get a nice 'kiss my' response. But then a 'Hay.. I will be caching in your area next Weekend, want to get together and go tackle that mountain cache? I could really use the company' Would get a quick check of the calendar for possible runs...

We've found it to be unwise to question the motives of the all-seeing all knowing approvers. They have insight and experience far beyond that of mortal cachers and only have the good of the sport in mind. They are wise in experience beyond their years... In this case, the caches seem to be pretty darn good to us... Probably a lot better than some of the lame caches WE'VE had approved. the OP's cache hides are probably doozies, tho, too... :P:D:P

Wow. A lot of good responses. Yep, there are a lot of 'issues' that I didn't think of. I'll certainly keep looking for the caches, even if they're all identical.

And yep, just got the Geocaching Notification e-mail. The same people have placed yet another cache in a highway R-O-W, along I25 where there are already two caches within a few miles. :D

Nope, I don't feel I'm 'owed' a FTF prize. But did expect something worth swapping for, seeing how each of these caches is a swap container... Hiders should spend at least as much effort placing a cache as the Finders who come later to seek it, IMO obviously.

Note to LeanWolf:

The astronomy CDs are often the very next item traded when I leave them. The software itself isn't home-made. :P Each of the programs has been installed and completely tested on my own computer. I never download or re-distribute shareware or spyware. In addition to the program files, I also include screenshots of each program and have written a document with descriptions of each program.

Shoot me a message through Geocaching.com and I'll send you one of my disks if you're interested. Here are a couple examples of what I burn on the CD:

Celestia

Planets' Orbits

Best Wishes Everyone,

Bob

My suggestion - if you really and truely think that these caches should have swag - is to go to a dollar store, spend ten bucks, stock them all yourself.

You'd be amazed at how much stuff you can get for ten bucks.

Party favors are 8 to a pack for a buck, open the pack and leave one in each cache.

Toys can be found 2 or even 4 for $1.

I just restocked one cache and started a second one - the restocked one has hardly any room and the new oneis 2/3 full - and spent less than $8 for two large containers full of stuff. (the containers are 5x7 and 5x10)

This is a give and take thing.

You don't want cachers to find empty containers, yet you're not sending the hider a tactful email telling them they may want to add a little swag to their containers. So either put a few things in or hush.

Edited to add: You know, I find it interesting that someone with 24 traditional caches found, who has only been caching for SIX WEEKS, is doing this much complaining on the subject of a newbie doing something.

It's good to see you're a supercacher and know how to do exactly everything right already.

Edited by fly46

I put out our first cache recently to see how it would go. It was placed by my daughter, I went out and bought some great items to go in it. However she had other ideas on what should go in "her box". So I felt pretty bad that the cache was on the skimpy side to start. She did let me place the FTF prize that I bought in the box which was a Fairy Barbie Doll. Now all I have to do is go back and put the items I bought for the box in it while she's at school.

Other than that:

If I'm out by myself I don't bother to take anything. I find it mostly a reward for the kids to trade for something if the cache has items in it. But even they know not all boxes will contain things.

We just enjoy the hikes and learning of new areas in our region to explore.

Edited by realmofmyst

Fly46:

Yes, only 40 caches found so far. But that's a YEAR, plus six weeks... Yep, I'm a relative beginner compared to some folks around here. That's why the original post is in the form of a question. I wanted to know what more experienced cachers thought. Thanks for your input.

Best Wishes,

Bob

We got a guy locally who has hundreds of finds, does the same thing. Stocks a 50 cal ammo can with a couple trinkets. His rationale? He doesn't like to trade anymore so he doesn't bother to stock the caches. It's not just the n00bs.

Me? I stock 'em till it's hard to shut the lid. I don't trade anymore either, but many like to and I want them to have a good selection to look through.

Or in the nicest way possible remind them that the idea of placing a cache is to stock it with interesting, thoughtful items? 
The cache may be filled with objects for trade.

Where does it say anything about it being mandatory to stock caches with interesting items? While it may be desireable to some (myself included), not everyone trades. I've stocked many caches with lots of interesting items. Still, 90% of the logs say TNLN. Obviously not that big a deal to most people.

Probably the firmest log entry I would write on a new empty cache would be something like:

Found the cache.  Was dissapointed there wasn't much in the way of trade items, because I had brought my trade stash. Took nothing, left a few items for the next finders to trade with.  Thanks for the cache.

--Marky

Is is appropriate to ask them to knock it off?  Or in the nicest way possible remind them that the idea of placing a cache is to stock it with interesting, thoughtful items?

You can try. Some people are receptive to this. Many are not. An certain amount of pride can be wrapped up in a cache hide. It may seem like a lame, lame cache to you - but I bet to them it is something they are proud of having created, and that they feel proud to be contributing to the game. Keep that in mind. How would you feel if someone (rightly or wrongly) said to you "Hey, your cache isn't very good?" I know this wouldn't be the type of message I'd enjoy very much.

A subtle way to do it might be to send 'em an email saying "Hey, welcome to geocaching! What a great game! Here's some caches I like..." Then if they do some of the caches you've suggested, you'll have given them some examples of better cache hiding and stocking techniques. Perhaps you'll make a friend in the process, too.

I'm concerned that if this keeps going, there'll be dozens and dozens of empty tupperware tubs left throughout the area...

Fairly simple, non-trading caches are becoming quite commonplace in many areas. It is a trend in caching. Many people enjoy areas with multiple caches in them, as it allows them to find a larger number of caches more quickly. As best as I can tell from reading these forums, no one quite understands why some people feel motivated in this way, but apparently a few do. It really is about the adventure, after all - but oddly enough, not all seem to play that way.

Best of luck!

Why not invite them on a cache hunting day with you to show them some of the better caches in the area? You can then channel some of their eagerness into higher quality hides for you to seek out. I find showing is always better than telling. This way not only do you explain the 'error' of their ways to them but demonstrate the difference between quality and quantity. Of course any who knows me know I like it both ways. :)

I feel awful now!

I researched my hides well, AND bought brand new items for them (and they were jam packed) but I included no FTF prizes!

Should I drop 2 boxes somewhere, log the Coords and send the coords to the two FTFers as a special FTF prize?

Should I apologize?

I feel awful now!

I researched my hides well, AND bought brand new items for them (and they were jam packed) but I included no FTF prizes!

Should I drop 2 boxes somewhere, log the Coords and send the coords to the two FTFers as a special FTF prize?

Should I apologize?

Don't feel bad. There is no requirement to include a prize for FTF. I never include FTF Items in my caches. In fact, if I'm FTF on a cache with a special prize, I will usually leave it for the next person.

Some people like to give incentive for people to rush out to find their cache, but I've found that people will rush out for the bragging rights alone.