Where Are Your Finds?

To make your own the easy way, you'll need to be a premium member.

Make a new pocket query (call it "finds" or whatever). Select 500 caches (if you have more than 500 finds you'll have to do more than one PQ). Select each type of cache except locationless (these will show up in strange places on your map if you do), but don't select "all types" or it will include locationless automatically. Select "that I have found" and select States/Provinces. Scroll down to US:Alabama and click on it. Scroll to the bottom, press your "shift" key and click on US:Wyoming. All states should now be colored blue. (If you have more than 500 finds, select fewer states for each PQ) Leave the other settings as "none" and choose to output in GPX format. Zipped files work best and don't trigger virus software (some email providers don't like GPX extensions). Choose the current day of the week and then submit your PQ.

When it shows up in your inbox, download it and run it through Spinner.

Go to Keenpeople.com's GPX Maptool. If you're not a member yet, sign up. (You can list your stats there, too!) Select your GPX file (the one now labeled spinner.gpx) 640x480 resolution and center your map at 35 lat and -98 long in order to show the lower 48. (Sorry, this won't work for outside of the US) Click on "create map."

To post the map here, you'll need to upload it from your My Cache Page or have your picture hosted somewhere else. Put the IMG link in your post and you're done!

Here is my GIANT scrollable/clickable map of Twin Cities caches I have found. Don't bother unless you have a broadband connection and a lot of memory on your computer. It takes about 60 seconds to load. The actual cache locations are slightly off due to the Tiger Map Server doing strange things at very high resolution. This is a proof of concept and was made with my geo-map command line tool.

The caches I have found are in monochrome, the ones I haven't found are in color.

http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/mngca/big.html

-Rick

Edited by rickrich

Ok, lets see the maps for BruceS, Glenn, and maybe Squemish! B)

Edit:

Ok finally got my map made, very cool feature. Never used that before, thanks SaxMan! :huh:

22008_4100.gif

As has noted archived caches do not show up. There should be two in WA, and at least one more each in NE, and WY. I've also never been to LA, but thats a different problem... B)

Edited by welch

Anyone care to hear about a 2 year old topic? Back in January of 2002 we were musing on the fact that based on people's finds and hides, we could pin down their approximate home location.

I used the idea that people would probably start caching with caches close to their home, so I would take their first 5 or 10 finds and weight them a little heavy - and come up with an average of their location. I would also do this with their placements (this was before the restriction on vacation caches).

Results were scary.

Interesting that this cycled through in January again. Maybe that shows that it's too cold to actually GO caching - so we just have to think about it and think about it and think about it.

Edited by Markwell
Anyone care to hear about a 2 year old topic? Back in January of 2002 we were musing on the fact that based on people's finds and hides, we could pin down their approximate home location.

I used the idea that people would probably start caching with caches close to their home, so I would take their first 5 or 10 finds and weight them a little heavy - and come up with an average of their location. I would also do this with their placements (this was before the restriction on vacation caches).

Results were scary.

Interesting that this cycled through in January again. Maybe that shows that it's too cold to actually GO caching - so we just have to think about it and think about it and think about it.

That is a bit scary, but then, I'm not worried about another cacher finding my house. At our last event, I passed out my coordinates so others could come by and view my Christmas light display.