Personal Safety/Security

From the perspective of personal security, I have always felt very safe when Geocaching. Mind, you, I am a male, and I do not Geocache at night (but I often go alone) . Has anyone actually ever had an encounter while Geocaching where they were accosted, mugged, or assaulted (or heard of such an incident) ?

(This topic does not restrict you to answering my question. All opinions on the issue of personal security/safety when Geocaching are welcome).

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Not yet. In all honestly I really don't like caching alone anyway so I have a circle of people I have conned into this hobby to go with.

Every now and then I do go caching alone and when I do I'm much more aware of the world around me and what's going on in it.

The only really strange encounter was while night caching with Elvish Archer and Curse. We were down a road that was a few miles from a campground. A couple of men drove up in a truck and stopped. I moved to one side of the truck while Elvish moved to the other. They talked and after just a little too long they drove on. They said they were looking for firewood and the smell of alcahol was strong. Elvish wasn't entirely comfortable even after talking with them. We had already found the cache so we finished the hike out and went on our way wondering why they had to drive several miles drunk in the forest to find wood. But then there was no need to persue the thought further so that was that.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on June 05, 2003 at 12:00 PM.]

RK describes a VERY common phenomenon... running across oddly behaving people because our odd behavior takes us to odd places. This happens to me all the time. Because I try to be extra-cautious when caching alone or with my daughter, I haven't gotten into any actual trouble yet. I have walked away from caches before starting the hunt, based on bad vibes at the parking location. I've turned around and walked back to my car after seeing someone acting strangely. But I did not let mere gunfire and rednecks deter me from being FTF at this cache. icon_biggrin.gif The moral: use some common sense, stay aware of your surroundings, trust your instincts, and hopefully you'll be fine.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of other Geocachers get accosted, mugged or assaulted. Where? It's called "the Groundspeak Forums." icon_wink.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I know of one geocacher that was chased by a cow. I had a very threatening vole chase me down the trail and not let me pass. I kid you not, voles are one of the most frightening aminals to encounter in the wild. Um, maybe I strayed off topic a bit... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

There had been a violet assault on a women on a rural trail near some of my caches. I don't think she was a geocacher but know the incident did get our local female cachers thinking. (to say the least.)

I recall going out in the woods not to far away and not to long after the event and having to return to my vehicle at dusk. As I neared my parking spot I got an uncomfortable feeling so I stopped, caught my breath and picked up a nice palmed sized rock in each fist. I think one is probably the most vulnerable as they return to there car whether the assaillant is a rapist type or someone you catch breaking into your car.

The potential for assault is out there. I can only imagine the fear and anger felt from a women's point of view.

ps.sorry for by bad choice of words else where.

There have been more than a few instances of geocachers being stalked by weirdos cruising parks and parking lots. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I know several people that it has happened to.

We'll ocassionally encounter a bear around here, but they usually take off in the other direction.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 06, 2003 at 04:33 AM.]

Once we were canoeing to a cache site in Georgia. Along the way, we started to hear this banjo music. The music got louder and louder. All we had for protection were our bow and arrows. Next thing I know my buddy (Ned Beatty) is squealing like a pig ...

Everyone knows this is part of the story line to the old movie "Deliverance". The reason I mention it is so that we as Geocachers remember to stay alert, take nothing for granted and be aware of our surroundings while caching in the woods. Awareness is one of our best defenses. And, if you hear banjo music in the woods, run away like a deer.

"heck, that scares me and I'm fearless"

quote:
Originally posted by eroyd:

There had been a violet assault on a women on a

Say, just how do violets assault? Is the victim left purple and sweet-smelling? Maybe it is like the poppies in Wizard of Oz...Or maybe it is like when the kids pick every violet in the yard and make their mom put them in her hair.

Not to make light of someone being assaulted, but your typo got a silly image in my head and made my afternoon, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I know of one geocacher that was chased by a cow.

--Marky

Put me down as another geocacher who has been chased by a cow. Anyone else?

--- yrium ---

Oh, as far as not feeling safe. Sometimes you encounter sites where bums and transients hang out for the night, but I've found that the times I go hiking must be the same time that they're off looking for handouts as I've never seen them. Thats pretty much the only time I feel uneasy while geocaching.

I am constantly looking over my shoulder, call me paranoid but who knows who is wondering in the woods... there are quite a few "Woods people" around here that are on benders and things.

I have been honestly been thinking about getting my carry permit for when I cache alone. Crappy thing is then I would have to get a smaller weapon because a 9mm isn't very easy to conceal, maybe a little 38 or a .380.

Live to Cache... Cache to Live... & Doing it with a Meridian Platinum and Garmin Venture (backup)

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

Not actually chased, but I got some real nasty looks from one once. It had me looking around for a place to hide or a tree to climb or something. There wasn't one, so luckily I was allowed to pass in peace. Okay - I guess that doesn't count.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

My occupation, similar to geocaching, often sends me solo into undeveloped areas to do habitat evaluations. I’ve had plenty of scary experiences where I’ve felt threatened by others. A recent example was two weeks ago when I was in south AZ in a rural area evaluating a riparian area. I had to park at a bar gate on the side of the road and walk it. I’d gotten barely 50 ft. and was photographing some wildlife when a truck full of men pulled behind my car, made eye contact and started hollering/whooping at me. By the grace of God, they abruptly left and as I watched them leave I saw the reason drive by following them—a police car. Was I in real danger? Who knows? But it was scary as heck. BTW, I am a female. I’ve got a whole laundry list like this example with some scarier.

I brand new to geocaching, but despite my occupational bad luck in the woods, it was this forum that got my wheels turning thinking about not solo caching. I was so exited to discover a new fun outdoors hobby that I was ready to charge out there on my own. On the job I’ve tried to steel myself and just do the job so that no one thinks they can’t send me out because I’m a girl. But to read men posting of similar threatening situations is a real eye-opener. I’ll definitely be taking someone along for anything much “off the trail”.

quote:
Originally posted by LUNAPIE:

...when a truck full of men pulled behind my car, made eye contact and started hollering/whooping at me. By the grace of God, they abruptly left and as I watched them leave I saw the reason drive by following them—a police car. Was I in real danger? Who knows? But it was scary as heck. BTW, I am a female. I’ve got a whole laundry list like this example with some scarier.

Unfortunately,

Beauty provoketh thieves sooner than gold. (from As You Like It, William Shakespeare)

That's why us ugly guys don't have to worry as much.

geol4.JPG

[This message was edited by seneca on June 05, 2003 at 04:47 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Spending Time, Saving Cache:

I would have to get a smaller weapon because a 9mm isn't very easy to conceal, maybe a little 38 or a .380.

I have not had a problem with a shoulder holster and a jean jacket. I have also carried a 9 with an ankle holster if my pants legs are cut wider. They also make some nice fanny packs that hold 9s. I am not really one that would wear a fanny pack so I have not tried them but my ex-wife did have one that carried her 38 with a 6" barrel and she seemed to like that. They seem to break away quick if you need to get at it. Also understand that concealment is very important to me. Where I live it is next to impossible to get a CCP so if I get caught I go to jail. I have never had a problem.

quote:

I have been honestly been thinking about getting my carry permit for when I cache alone. Crappy thing is then I would have to get a smaller weapon because a 9mm isn't very easy to conceal, maybe a little 38 or a .380.

Well, before you downgrade your firepower in an attempt to make it more concealable, LOOK AT ITEM X.

The pistol is on top of what was once a cover for an army 2 quart canteen. These covers are available in Sand, OD Green, and Black. I took it to my local shoe repair shop, and had them stitch in an Uncle Mike's nylon paddle holster. That pouch usually has the pistol, my wallet, a spare 16 round mag, and a can of pepper foam in it. I hang it on the side of my belt. No one has ever indicated it looked like something other than a canteen.

Perhaps this will give you an idea.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

i have not been assaulted or even bothered while geocaching.

bicycling is another matter. i have been hassled, heckled, and once i was run over by a dodge durango.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_frown.gif I really did not intend this to be another little boys discussion on "bang bangs" but, I guess I asked for it. You can do a Markwell to see what I think about these types. (its also on record that I support the right to own guns ... as well as the right to pick your nose in private). I promise, no more comment from me on this topic.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

...if I get caught I go to jail....

I can't believe that people admit to committing a Class 1 Misdemeanor (Felony in some states) in front of thousands of people on the Internet.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

icon_rolleyes.gificon_frown.gif I really did not intend this to be another little boys discussion on "bang bangs" but, I guess I asked for it.

Pretty ignorant reply... You post a msg about personal safety/etc and do not think guns will come up? LOL icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe that was not directed toward me, but it seems like it because I started the gun issue. Oh well I have tough skin icon_razz.gif .

I am not a gun person per say. I do own a few, I do not hunt but rather I target shoot at the local indoor range. I do not go around waving them etc.

I do know this, I would like to have one in my hand if someone is going to bean me over the head though.

I too support the right to own guns but I support the right to pick my nose in private or public icon_biggrin.gif

As Forest Gump would say "That's all I got to say about that".

Live to Cache... Cache to Live... & Doing it with a Meridian Platinum and Garmin Venture (backup)

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

I can't believe that people admit to committing a Class 1 Misdemeanor (Felony in some states) in front of thousands of people on the Internet.

I can’t believe all those people committed treason in public when they signed the Declaration of Independence. An offense likely meaning their death if caught. But I am thankful everyday that they did.

Yes...and no.

I was with my teammate heading to the Willow Springs Well area, when we happened upon a guy with a rifle in the parking area, right in front of a sign clearly identifying that target shooting was illegal. His dog was with him, but the guy looked to be about 12 cans shy of a 6-pack. As we approached the area (still in vehicle), he reached into the car, and chambered a round in the rifle. My teammate got out and I stayed on the passenger side of the vehicle with my weapon drawn. He was acting real nervous/skiddish, so I kept gun in hand until he decided we weren't going to leave first and took off out of the area. My gut said he was going to off his dog in a less-than-humane manner, or perhaps try and get us as we started hiking off down the trail. He never knew I was armed, but I definitely felt safer with it, as the likelihood of another vehicle being in this area again that day was nill.

Rural caches demands I go armed. If not for the freaks/drunk idiots with firearms, unexpected encounters with a violent animal don't exactly get resolved with a 3" buck knife.

I've also been shot at once, by said drunk idiot with a handgun while up on a plateau with a clear tactical advantage (searching for a cache). Good thing he couldn't hit the air he was shooting into, or that event could have gotten ugly. I had 19 reasons with me why his activities were BAD.

As for carrying concealed, unless you have a permit it isn't worth the potential run-in with a cop who doesn't like the idea of you carrying concealed, and you will probably eat some asphalt. At least in Arizona, it's an open-carry state, meaning aside from government property, I can openly carry a firearm anywhere there isn't a posted policy prohibiting said activity. I've gotten weird looks from a few people, but the Fobus holster I have happens to look like a police officer's holster of sorts. I liked the aggressive angle the gun was held at (20-degrees), and the quick pull ability.</off topic>

It all depends on where you go, how aware of your surroundings you are, and when you go there that truly governs if something is going to happen to you. Bottom line: Don't look like a target.

Brian

Team A.I.

I always carry a pistol with me. We have moose and bears in town as well as in the woods, say nothing of weirdos and drunks.

Most dangerous thing I have encountered on the trails up here is a momma moose protecting her calf.

Good common sense is the best thing to use. If your gut tells you to leave the area, leave. The cache will be there for another day.

I cache alone unless my kids are with me. Until I can find someone willing to go with me I will always watch my back when out searching.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

[This message was edited by Bilder on June 05, 2003 at 07:58 PM.]

quote:

I am constantly looking over my shoulder, call me paranoid but who knows who is wondering in the woods... there are quite a few "Woods people" around here that are on benders and things.

Check out the Kel-Tek P32, .32 auto. Very flat, has an accesory belt clip. Clips inside the belt and looks just like an ordinary knife that everyone carries.

I carry mine everywhere that it is legal and ethical to carry. Never been seen yet- and I wear normal dress clothes with shirt tucked in.

I have often thought about leaving home without it, due to potential hassles from over-zealous law enforcement people and risks of running afoul of unknown laws and regulations or embarassment of someone finding out about it who might disapprove of a preacher carrying a weapon. But so far, I have concluded that it is better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one.

I have had 3 encounters over the past 20 years or so that I have caried when I felt I came close to 'needing' it. (None of them -so far- while geocaching). In all of these encounters I was able to defuse the situation without the advesary even knowing I was packing.

I think it is more important for personal safety that someone know where you are going to be and when you expect to return and what to do and who to call if you are late. I am often guilty of violating this rule as I cache alone on lunch breaks and sometimes at night (alone). Many times these are spur-of-the-moment hunts and sooner or later this is gonna bite me.

BTW, I am well aware that packing does not guarantee or necessarily even improve my personal safety. I have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher too, same said for them. I hope I never need any of them.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

[This message was edited by ChurchCampDave on June 05, 2003 at 09:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I really did not intend this to be another little boys discussion on "bang bangs"

Actually, knowing the attitude he portrays, I suspected he was trolling for trouble from the start.

My position on the subject is also well known. It is legal. I am licensed. Get over it or get lost!

Any questions? icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Now you guys have made me even more scared. I cache alone occasionally and I am a woman, (hear me roar?) When I do go alone I always take a dog and I have a can of bear spray handy in my pack.

I've never seen anything out of the ordinary while out, but if I go alone I try to stay away from caches in town parks. I figure that wierdos tend to stay near populated areas.

I was planning on trying to be FTF on a cache thats on a trail not close to any well populated areas. But after reading this, I might not go. I don't want to be a statistic, but then I don't want to be affraid of everything.

It IS a hard decision for us gals.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

quote:

Pretty ignorant reply... You post a msg about personal safety/etc and do not think guns will come up? LOL icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe that was not directed toward me, but it seems like it because I started the gun issue. Oh well I have tough skin icon_razz.gif .

Actually I don't think it's that ignorant. I didn't even think about guns when I started reading this thread, probably because I'm Canadian. I see Seneca is from my neck of the woods so perhaps it didn't occur to him either. For the record, the only time I felt vulnerable was when I (a female) was alone on a trail on the side of a mountain, looking at an abandoned cabin and realizing it was getting dark and what would happen if somebody untoward came upon me. It was also the location of a recent bear sighting. I descended to my car and went home immediately.

I always carry a 40-caliber pistol whenever I go "treasure hunting with the femle “moosette” (OMG if she reads this post I’m DEAD!!! She is lithe and very pretty and would KILL me…. Calling her a “moosette” LOL!!!) And little Monsters. I have been trained in personal firearms safety and I'm licensed to carry. It is well concealed and is no visible threat to anyone. I have never needed to use it, let alone show it and I hope I never have too! The whole family feels safer knowing I have the way and means to protect them in the unfortunate case that some aggressor...or unbeknownst danger crosses our path!

If you are eligible, and meet all requirements (depending upon your locale course), it might be a good idea if you looked into a "little personal protection". I'm not advocating or promoting the NRA here...anything will do. A nice hardwood walking stick in the right hands can be VERY intimidating! Canes ...knives...rocks...pepper spray...whatever, the point is you have the right to defend yourselves!!! Just don't show them in an aggressive manner unless you have no recourse. I pray to God that you will never need to resort to those means.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and say "Happy and SAFE hunting to all!!!"

Oh, and by the way… Hi Everyone!!..I'm Mike...and the Monsters!!

Sp

Spzzmoose & "the monsters"

quote:

My Glock 27 is very concealable and has good stopping power. It's a shame that Kalifornia is so anti-gun. If I want my CCW I'll have to move to one of the few carry-friendly localities - not quite enough of a reason to relocate...

On safety/security, I agree with what several have said - be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut. If you also happen to live in a gun-friendly state and you own a gun, get your carry permit.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

bang bangs?

Safety while caching

I have felt that my safety was in danger on several occasions.

Once was with coyotes, and another time with drunk and stoned youth.

Canada has lame gun laws compared to the USA. We have spent more money TRYING to register guns than we spend in other important areas. We're talking a billion dollars down the drain.

And Canada is known for laws that protect criminals and leaves victims hanging. This is a very big generalization, but you get the point?

Safety while living. We relied on the US to protect us for so many years during the cold war, and though I know there are some disputes with regards to trade I would like to see DEFINATE resolution on, I still think Canada owes the USA.

And what this has to do with geocaching?

You're smart. Figure it out.

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on June 05, 2003 at 11:41 PM.]

I was near Houston TX looking for GC6BFE I had left the notes behind so I was walking straight through the woods toward the cache. I ran across a homeless vagrant possibly a illegal alien crouched down in a thicket. He was middle aged and fairly close to the cache cordinates. There was some trash there and it appeared it might be where he stays. I had left my wife alone back at the nearby park so I left quickly to find her because I now considered this a dangerous area. The day I was out there was early in the spring before the park has much activity. I never did finish that cache.

quote:

Actually I don't think it's that ignorant. I didn't even think about guns when I started reading this thread, probably because I'm Canadian. I see Seneca is from my neck of the woods so perhaps it didn't occur to him either. For the record, the only time I felt vulnerable was when I (a female) was alone on a trail on the side of a mountain, looking at an abandoned cabin and realizing it was getting dark and what would happen if somebody untoward came upon me. It was also the location of a recent bear sighting. I descended to my car and went home immediately.

I actually meant the way that he put it "little boys" and "bang-bangs" was ignorant.

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I know of one geocacher that was chased by a cow.

--Marky

--- yrium ---

Well, me, too. I was at the bar one night and this one girl would just NOT leave me alone... icon_rolleyes.gif

This "little boys" opinion of a "bang-bang":

For any anti-gun person-

You are sleeping at home and you hear someone breaking into your house. What's the first thing you wish you had?

Love my Glock 9mm. Love the fact that AZ allows me to open carry, and yes, I have my concealed permit as well. Let's hope Washington gets it together and passes the bill that will allow all the States to recognize my license from AZ, the same way as they already do with a drivers license or marriage certificate. While currently geocaching in Michigan this week I am allowed to carry my 9, and I feel a lot safer because of it. As appreciative as I feel towards carrying it, I am even more thankful that I have never had to do more than just show it to avoid a confrontation once.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

We relied on the US to protect us for so many years during the cold war, and though I know there are some disputes with regards to trade I would like to see DEFINATE resolution on, I still think Canada owes the USA.

Hmmmm... Interesting comment. But in my opinion, not entirely accurate. While Canada may not have put as much on the line as the USA did, Canada certainly did not sit on its A$$ and do nothing. (Other natons did sit on their A$$E$). Dew-Line comes first to mind. And I have fought beside Canadian soldiers and found them to be every bit as praiseworthy as our best. Each nation must balance its expences against a number of factors. As an American, and a retired soldier, I do not feel Canada didn't do what it could. No shame there. In fact, there are some things in Canada that I much admire!

Although I feel your country is headed in the wrong direction with gun control, your country has the freedom and right to go that direction if they like. I think the stats have proven beyond a doubt it isn't working. And you are not even the worst example. Great Britain and Australia are fighting for that label.

Just imagine if all that money wasted on TRYING to take the guns away from the good Canadian citizens had been used to put the criminals (no pun criminal!) behind bars instead of hasseling the law-abiding citizens. Talk about balancing expenses.

We have people like seneca in the USA too. We call them liberals and social democrats. Many of them are also hypocrits. Even Dianne Fien-Swein of Kalifornia, the most outspoken anti-gun liberal I can think of - she has a carry license. But she don't want you to have one. As a senator, she has full-time police guards, and she feels the need to have a handgun license. But since you cannot afford a guard, you do not need a license - or a gun.

Having previously butted heads with senica, I think he knew full-well what can of worms he was setting up here. All I will say is people have a NATURAL right to self-defense. Even a skunk has a defensive weapon. Canada thinks you should fight against guns with a stick. Great Britain thinks you should just die. I am fortunate to live in a place where I am allowed to have an equal chance. It is all anyone should have.

As I said before. It is LEGAL. I am LICENSED. Get over it or get lost. But don't worry, you can always call 911.

I wish to thank the Canadian soldiers I worked with in my carreer. In fact, all allies, as I saw many nations in 20 years. Even the French in Gulf War - I.

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I was with my teammate heading to the Willow Springs Well area, when we happened upon a guy with a rifle in the parking area, right in front of a sign clearly identifying that target shooting was illegal. His dog was with him, but the guy looked to be about 12 cans shy of a 6-pack. As we approached the area (still in vehicle), he reached into the car, and chambered a round in the rifle. My teammate got out and I stayed on the passenger side of the vehicle with my weapon drawn. He was acting real nervous/skiddish, so I kept gun in hand until he decided we weren't going to leave first and took off out of the area.

This seemed to me to be potentially a VERY dangerous situation. I am somewhat surprised by your response particularly in view of the way you percieved this guy. I think I would have dealt with it by staying in my vehicle and telling my passenger to do the same, and then immediatly drive away from the area, and report this armed, unstable looking character to the police. That, I think would have been a much safer response. I'm glad that you and your friend didn't come to any harm.

geol4.JPG

I don't carry a gun. Never really felt the need.

But I know a LOT of people who do. Contrary to the sterotype of gun-totin' rednecks with shotguns in the back glass of their pickups the guys I know who bear arms are really rational people. I've never known them to shoot pop bottles of a fence or threaten to shoot a nieghbor because his trash can is across the property line.

They're the type of guys who are mindful of those potential worst case scenarios that can come about in life and want to be prepared.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

It's taken me a long time to feel remotely safe again. My sister-in-law was kidnapped, assaulted and shot twice in the head by a piece of &%@$. (She survived, he was killed an hour later by his girlfriend.) My family learned a lot that day. If I cache solo, it's only in town and in areas I trust. But I watch everything around me.

I felt safer when I worked for the Forest Service in Alaska and had to watch out for grizzlies. Humans are much scarier.

quote:
Just imagine if all that money wasted on TRYING to take the guns away from the good Canadian citizens had been used to put the criminals (no pun criminal!)

Thanks DW, and by the way, the next test date is on 10 June, I expect to pass. On the topic that this thread has drifted off towards, I do carry either a Taurus .38 or my Glock 17, depending on the weather. Not all the time, only while caching in certain areas that I am not comfortable being alone. I also am licensed. For those opposed to firearm carry by the general public, I’m truly sorry you feel that way. My gun will never act on its own behalf; it just sits there all heavy on my belt. My first resort, if such a situation should come along, is still to run. I’d like to make it through my life w/o shooting anyone. Nevertheless, I will not be cornered, I will not be someone’s victim, and will not stand by helplessly while my family or property are threatened with harm.

I intentionally avoided the million-post thread on this subject before. So to get back to Seneca’s original question, no. So far so good for me.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:

We were charged by a bull while doing this cache. Fortunately we had just climbed over a stile into the field and were able to make a hasty retreat. If we'd been nearer the cache we'd have had to dive in the river instead!

Although I have not had any troubles cacheing (outside a goose chasing me), this thread has inspired me to get a gun, with the appropriate license(s), and proper training. I have been on the fence with it for personal protection, but I now realize that I have been caching in some areas that may not have been as safe as I thought.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg