HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN USING GPS?

Tiggr

quote:
Originally posted by Tiggr:

1. How long have you been actively using a GPS?

2. What got you started?

3. What keeps you currently using it?

1. Since 1999. That's 4 years.

2. Bought it as a backup navigation tool for flying.

3. Flying, driving, geocaching, hiking, finding the car in the parking lot at amusement parks and stadiums, etc..

My first GPS was a Lowrance Global Map 100 and I got that about 5 years ago now. Right when they came out. It was the first GPS that allowed download-able maps. I still like that gps because its rock solid.

I bought that for fishing and and such but it sat more than I used it through out the years.

I found geocaching when I was checking to see what was the latest and greatest in GPS's and thats when I started caching and bought a Garming GPS V. Since I've gotten a Magellan Meridan Platinum but never use that one. I may some day.

What keeps me currently using my GPS is geocaching and the fact that I drive all over our metro area for work and with the auto routing it gets me there and back.

I'm thinking of buying a etrex vista now for use on my ATV.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

1.Since May 2003

2. I heard the story on NPR about Geocaching on the way to work. Got to work, logged on and was immediately hooked. Went looking for a cache at lunch without GPSr. Didn't find it, ordered my Meridian off of e-bay the next week.

The rest is geo-history icon_smile.gif...

3. 3 things...fun, FUN, and MORE FUN

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

quote:

2. What got you started?

3. What keeps you currently using it?

1. Since 1996. My first GPSr was a Garmin GPS 40.

2. Recording backcountry trails on my bicycle for use in generating maps for mountain biking guidebooks.

3. Geocaching, mountain biking, hiking, and finding my way to addresses and waypoints when driving, especially in unfamiliar areas.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I got my Garmin GPS12 about 7 or 8 years ago after meeting a guy in Africa who had one. I've used it regularly on my bicycle, canoeing and hiking. I usually take it with me while traveling (it provides a sort of journal, documenting the places and times).

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:

2. What got you started?

3.What keeps you currently using it?

A Point in the right direction,ASCENSION.

A#1 Since early 1996.

A#2 My best friend, PuckerDaddy, got one and I thought it was way kewl. I wanted to mark a spot in the backcountry in the high Sierras, near Mammoth, as my final resting place. The coords for scattering my ashes are in my Will.

A#3 I am still using the same 1996 Magellan 2000. I'm still using it because I can't get a straight answer from the online sellers as to whether the Megellan Meridian Color that I want is WAAS capable or WAAS enabled. (I feel really dumb about this last item.) What's the diff? Am I getting WAAS or WHAT?

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:

2. What got you started?

The summer of 95

Doing some contract work with the BLM (mapping the high water line of a local resevoir) and marking archeological sites.

Currently, Desert / Mountain Hiking & a bit of Geocaching, and Site Steward work with the Arizona State Archeological Society.

~~~ "And now where" ~~~

My wife since about 1995 using a Magellan 2000 that we used for our first 15 or so finds.

She was part of a Dog Team for the Sheriff's Department doing search and rescue here in the Bay Area.

Unemployed and nothing better to do with my time... icon_biggrin.gif Serioudly, it's the fun family outings.

quote:

2. What got you started?

1. Since 1995. I have one of the Magellan 2000 as well.

2. A Nuclear Weapons Dad and a Grandpa who kept getting lost.

3.Geocaching.....................................Accuracy,Safety and Security.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

She was part of a Dog Team

Kealia, you might wanna reword that before she reads it....lol

1) a few months

2) geocaching

3) geocaching, can see many other uses for it now as well.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

1. Since somewhere in 99 or 00.

2. My grandpa gave my dad one for Christmas. He upgraded to a GPS III (from Magellan Pioneer) and gave it to me. Discovered geocaching and got the III from my dad since he never used it. Since upgraded 2x and now own a Vista.

3. Geocaching, geocaching, geocaching. I do definitely use it to get to addresses in unfamiliar areas, and it's beyond helpful when tooling around the back country up north, providing the topo map(s) have the old jeep trails on them.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

When? 1985 (believe it or not) ....

Then you must have had a lot of spare time? What part of a day was actually workable?

I suppose that would depend on if that was early 1985 or late (Nov/Dec) 1985. There was one more sat available for the last 2 months of 1985.

But considering they were 10 Block I sats launched between Feb 22, 1978 and Oct 9, 1985 with SVN7 lost on launch (Dec 18, 1981) and no further launches until Feb 14, 1989 being the first of the Block II's and also with SVN 1, SVN2 & SVN5 failing well before 1985 then that left 7 operational satellites in 1985.

Now that's a pretty big ask from only 7 Block I satellites in the jungle.

Coverage a 7 satellite constellation today in the middle of Brazil and this is without the Jungle. Throw the jungle over the top of that and even those periods of barely 3 MAX satellites would vanish and the already completely shot DOP's would go completely thru the roof.

icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Kerry on August 28, 2003 at 06:57 PM.]

quote:

2. What got you started?

Since March 2001.

I got started in a chat room when someone was talking about a cache find in Maryland where the cache was hidden under a bridge over a creek.

Geocaching keeps me using it. I enjoy the hunts.

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

I got my GPS a couple of years ago. I saw an article on caching and knew I would like it, so I asked for a GPS for Christmas. I now also use it to mark fishing spots, and generally use it when hiking. I like the idea that someone posted about marking the car in large parking lots. I might try that!

pokeanim3.gif

Been using one for about 3 years now. The origional reason was to be able to do real time navigation while travelling (with laptop), and mark waypoints for places of varied interests. I still do that, with GeoCaching being icing on the cake.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I like the idea that someone posted about marking the car in large parking lots. I might try that!

I've been doing that for a long time now. I also mark the car when I go strange (urban) areas that I might get turned around in when afoot. It's really nice when go the state fair or some other event where parking is way far away. Mark the waypoint, then set a GoTo when it's time to leave. icon_wink.gif

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

#1: Don't remember when I first used one... I do remember that it was a Trimble and it was in a 19" rack on a ship in the South China Sea. I thought, 'this stoopid thing will never catch on!' (It was working for about three hours a day at that time)

#2: It was work.

#3: Well, I still use them at work but caching is a good enough reason these days.

Incidently, my basic eTrex is more usable than the huge rack mounted thing was back when ever. <wink>I seem to remember that we had to shovel coal into the old thing to keep a good head of steam on it - but then again, that MIGHT have been the ship..... </wink>

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

My introduction to GPS was in 1987/88 (can't remember for sure on the date, but it was pre SA days). I was in a USAF test sqadron where were doing tests interfacing GPS/INS navigation systems. At the time, I was far more facinated with the new ring laser gyros.

What got me started was work of course, the system was still in testing, and the equipment was large, not all that useable, and definately not affordable.

Purchased my first GPS unit in the last part of 95, magellan 2000.

As for why I keep using GPS, I'm an avid hiker, and as such find it really useful, both for navigation and recording trails. When I'm not hiking, I also use it for geocaching from time to time.

quote:

2. What got you started?

1) Since 95, a Garmin ... I believe it was a 38, not parallel 8 channel ... slower than molasses in winter ... but I loved it.

2) Backpacking and a serious gadget addiction issue

3) See #2, geocaching and I use it overseas when I'm in a new area (always nice to be able to find your way back to a hotel in a new area when you don't speak the language!!!) icon_rolleyes.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Militarily, since 1991 (Trimble)

Civilian - since July 03

2. What got you started?

The army told us this was good stuff.

Civilian - I wanted a toy, and geocaching

provided the rationalization I needed.

The geocaching thing, and the fact that my E- Trex Venture is more user friendly than the

Army PLGR GPS. I plan on taking it with me to the field.

My first one was a Garmin 45 back around 1995 or so. Bought that one because of its removable antenna. At the time, I was planning to buy/build an ultralight airplane and I wanted to mount the antenna above the wing. I also made a mount to mount the antenna on the outside mirror of my truck for off-roading. Ended up not using it very much and it sat for a few years. Dug it out little over a year ago to try my first cache and found out that it stunk under tree cover. Bought a Garmin 76 and then a Rino120 for caching. Caching keeps me using them.

1. Since April 24th, 2002, when the bryno got a Garmin Legend and we did our first cache.

2. The bryno got a Garmin Legend and my cousin - a geocacher - had told me about the sport, so we looked it up and there was a cache nearby, so off we went.

3. I must have an addictive personality, because I am addicted to the sport/hobby. And not just the finding and hiding, I have this need to trash out, to attend events, to chat with other cachers, and to post randomly in the forums now and then. But please, don't ask me anything technical about my GPS. It's blue and it's pretty, and it finds my way somehow by magic.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I purchased a Garmin GPS 38 before the GPS 12 was even available some I'm guessing sometime in 1996.

The reason then and now is that I'm a hunter and offshore fisherman with a very poor sense of direction. Having a GPS on the boat allows me to really concentrate on fishing without worring about literally loosing my bearing. I can not imagine life without it. I'd give up TV and the microwave oven before the GPS.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

When? 1985 (believe it or not) ....

Then you must have had a lot of spare time? What part of a day was actually workable?

I suppose that would depend on if that was early 1985 or late (Nov/Dec) 1985. There was one more sat available for the last 2 months of 1985.

But considering they were 10 Block I sats launched between Feb 22, 1978 and Oct 9, 1985 with SVN7 lost on launch (Dec 18, 1981) and no further launches until Feb 14, 1989 being the first of the Block II's and also with SVN 1, SVN2 & SVN5 failing well before 1985 then that left 7 operational satellites in 1985.

Now that's a pretty big ask from only 7 Block I satellites in the jungle.

Coverage a 7 satellite constellation today in the middle of Brazil and this is without the Jungle. Throw the jungle over the top of that and even those periods of barely 3 MAX satellites would vanish and the already completely shot DOP's would go completely thru the roof.

What make/model of receiver was this?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Kerry on August 28, 2003 at 06:57 PM.]

Thanks for all the tech info Kerry icon_biggrin.gif

I was obviously in the military at the time I was speaking of, and we were using US supplied equipment.

You had to give the baby a rough lat long to work from before it would aquire. It was believe it or not portable (In the same way that the early cellphones were, which means a battery pack the size of a large motorcycle battery!)

You had an external antennae that was similar to the modern GA29 and to get a fix you would need to be in a clearing. It gave you simple lat long on an LED screen and I believe it was a 4 channel receiver.

You have to realise that we were just end users and the equipment was loaned to us by the US government, so as for make and specs etc, I have no idea.

It would have been around the middle of 85 we were using it, as I left the area in the September of that year.

If the info you gave was meant to inform me then thanks, if it was meant to shoot me down in flames then "whatever". A question was asked by a fellow cacher and I answered it truthfully, whether you believe me or not is not really an issue. If you would care to mail me I would be happy to tell you just why we were using the kit in question.

Also just for the record, I have a sailing magazine from 1989 offering the first commercial handheld GPSr in the UK for the bargain price of £2000 which is about $3200 US!

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

I got a Magellan 4000XL 12 channel GPS back in 1998 from Eastern Mountain Sports. I like tracklogging alot, so I gravitated to Garmin.

For Tracklogging, detachable antenna, high resolution screen, and mapping I prefer the GPS V.

I learned of Geocaching by accident when doing a google search for GPS uses, when I put together my homepage.

I bought a Magellan 2000XL when it first came out! When was that, anyway? I didn't want to lose my truck every time I was hunting. We still use it to make a trail back to the rig when we're hunting, but we've finally graduated to a Garmin GPS V for navigation and caching.

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Merman, for sure back then one would have had to be more than your typical user, especially to be using "loaned" equipment as in 1985 using this "loaned type" of equipment in that type of place would have certainly been for some "specific" purposes especially considering GPS was only declassified in 1984. That receiver would have certainly been one of the very few and very first ever made.

But serious question as to what part of the day there was useable signals as in 1985 things were extremely trying without being in the jungle, clearing or no clearing. It's not as if one could have simply whipped a receiver out and obtained a position just any old time.

Magellan did release the world's first handheld GPSr (Magellan nav 1000) in 1989, and I would presume that is probably what was being offered as the first commercial handheld. Things did really get a kick along in 1989 with 7 satellites launched within 12 months but even during the 1990 Gulf war the then constellation of the time still didn't (couldn't) provide full coverage (in the desert) and that was even with deliberate and purposeful manipulation of the 16 Sats at the start of the war.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:

2. What got you started?

1. 1995 Bought Magellan 2000 because it was cheap and fun. Upgraded to Lowrance GM100 in June 2000. Upgraded to 256MB Magellan Gold in 2003.

2. Needed not to get lost dirtbiking in the desert and snowmobiling in the mountains. GPS allowed me to travel loop routes in unknown territory and not have to backtrack to my starting point.

3. Recording tracks (5000+ miles this year), tracking down historical/geological sites, recording RV boondocking sites that give me Internet access, and minimal geocaching.

Dave...

icon_smile.gif

1) I think I got started in 1993. I bought a Garmin GPS 12. It's still my only unit, its tank-like construction has kept it in as-new condition, and has excellent accuracy. I'm actually upgrading to a newer model now but the one I ordered hasn't arrived yet.

2) I have a terrible fear of being lost.

3) I have a terrible fear of being lost.

2. What got you started?

I bought my Garmin EMap in March of 2000. I was heading to Ecuador and I wanted to stand on the equator and have it read zero. I did and it did. I was never interested in a GPSr until the models with mapping capabilities came out. The Ecuador trip gave me the excuse I needed.

I use it for all my travels and for geocaching. And I love it for both.

I would like to upgrade to a Garmin Map76S but I can't justify the upgrade yet. EMap does everything I need.

quote:

2. What got you started?

1. Not sure when, bought a Garmin GPS12 back when they were new, have since upgraded twice, first to a Vista (and was very disappointed in how rugged it was NOT, after using the GPS12), then to a GPSMAP 76S (no complaints so far).

2. Originally just something to play with.

3. Mainly for Geocaching (of course!), but also use Trimble units at work for land surveying. (I'll have to get one of those to hide my first cache and nail the coords to within a fraction of an inch!)

quote:

2. What got you started?

1. Since last December.

2. Hiking with outdated maps 5 months before that.

3. These days, Geocaching mostly. But the primary use is and will be for acting as a navigation aid while hiking with outdated maps. (Of course it doesn't help the map program with the GPS is outdated.)

Cheers!

TL

Three weeks!

2. What got you started?

A co-worker from work got one, if he had one I had to have one. So I bought a better one 1 hr later! icon_biggrin.gif I'm sick BTW!

Obsessive compulsive disorder, what else? I just wish there were more cache and EasyGPS was a tad better. So I plan on adding a lot of caches, once I figure how to be cool like some people that hide them with some serious though behind what they do.

Also being a firefighter I can use it at work, lots of uses and the possibilities are endless!

Firehouse16 & Code3

"Dave, Teresa & the 2 kids"

1. Officially, 1 day. I found my first cache a coupe hours ago.

2. Always wanted to get one, but couldn't justify it. Finally realized I didn't have to anymore and just bought one.

3. I'll let you know, but my guess is it will be GeoCaching and.....

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

1. 2 weeks, no caches, but have a good idea on several in my area.

2. Was thinking about one for awhile, thougt it would be neat to have in the woods. The little guy is just now getting big enough to join me and it saves a lot of walking in the bush when you know where you are going. Too many stories of stupidity on my part to explain, but let's just say that sometimes my ideas are better left on the shelf.

3. Cool toy to take with on the road. Used a Loren C on the boat for fishing and thought it would be neat to have something similar. Does anyone remember that? Do they still make them?

I am still trying to convience the SO that it will be fun to go running around the bush looking for tupperware in parks. Any ideas on how to convince, or should I just say because?

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

1. since July

2. Read an article about geocaching.

3. I like the way it gets me out of the house and see new places.

4. I was also in the Army infantry between 84 and 88 and we did not have and GPS units with us. We had heard of them but us grunts didn't have em. I had heard rumors that they had been deployed to other special units before I ever joined. Ever heard of Delta force? So to those that read the offical version and state it as fact, you may be right, but then again.....

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah