When do you ignore a cache?

Hello all. So I've been slowly working my way through different areas on my local geocache map. I love seeing the different smileys start filling in my area.

As I visit the various caches however there are some that I just chose not to do at the time. For example, drove to one that was on the side of a rural road. There wasn't much of a shoulder for parking. Plus the cache appeared to be another 20 meters past a really steep ditch. Well, I just didn't want the cache that badly so I skipped it. Didn't put up a DNF because I didn't even get out of the car.

I hadn't ignored any caches yet because I just didn't see a need for it. But as I start finding more caches, I am noticing that the ones that I have decided to skip are getting rather annoying on my map. I keep clicking on them like I'm going to put them on my list to go find them but then remember that I didn't like it for whatever reason (usually situations like the one I mentioned). So now I am considering clicking "ignore" on the ones that I know I don't want to go find.

So my question is, what are your thoughts about ignoring geocaches? When do you decide to ignore a cache? What are some examples? Do you actually click "ignore" or do you just let them sit there on your map? Are there reasons not to click "ignore"?

Couple of local ones I ignore:

1) There's one with no parking, and it's on a busy street, and right next to people's houses, and it will take a lot of methodical searching. Needle in a haystack Micro. I'll skip it.

2)There's one on a patch of mown grass (that's where the icon is). I've looked on the lawn. I've spread out 30 feet in all directions, and there are lots of hiding spots. Micro again. Bad hint. I haven't skipped it, I'll think it over and maybe try again next year.

But I don't block them from view. I use caches as points in relation to each other. So they are on the GPSr and on the map, I just don't hunt them.

I love the ignore feature. I wish it was on the app so that when I get to that roadside cache, overlooking a construction site, with a steep ditch to get over (inevitably marked as a terrain 1.5), I can ignore it right there. I tend to forget when I have to wait until I get to a computer.

Edited by Löne R

When do I ignore a cache?

1. When it's a puzzle that I have no idea how to solve. I occasionally revisit these in case some new inspiration suddenly appears.

2. A cache I have tried to find two or more times, but couldn't. The location probably has no real interest except the smiley.

3. When it's a cache owned by someone who has a history of hiding caches that would probably fall in category 2.

4. When it's a challenge cache with requirements I will likely never achieve.

Meh. I don't ignore any. even the ones that are close to me and taunting me, like the LPC by work that is 50 feet from a movie theater and a starbucks outdoor seating area and i have no idea how to get it without being seen my 40 muggles unless i go there at 4 am...i mean, it's just an LPC but i am determined to cross it off my list someday.

guess i'm just not picky like some folks. every cache brings its own challenge...even the ugly LPCs. i may think differently after i have thousands of smilies, but for now i rule nothing out.

We were towards the end of a 13ish mile trek today. Found 25 at that point and headed towards 26 - 2.5 terrain so apparently nothing to worry about.

Get close and there's a very, very steep slope down into trees on the left. GPS starts saying "It's forty yards off to the left". Choice: head down the hill, or continue moving along quickly to that nice pub that the beer has been calling from for the last hour.

Simple.

I usually ignore a cache when I get to ground zero and find that it's a skirtlifter at the entrance to a parking lot that requires stealth since people are constantly coming and going.

I'm also ignoring some climbing caches- this old lady doesn't go up trees.

And I'll ignore puzzle caches with puzzles that I just don't get.

My ignore list is almost entirely puzzles I don't have a clue how to solve. I do skip many non-puzzles because they don't interest me for a variety of reasons, but I don't put them on my Ignore list because I might use them in a pinch in the future as a grid filler, streak, or other such challenge.

GSAK makes it easier to filter out the DNWs (Do Not Want).

Parking lot micros. Once I did the first one, all the rest seem the same. I see enough parking lots in my every day life, and I use Geocaching to take me away from the ordinary.

But I don't use the ignore feature. Instead I filter them post-download.

The other thing I've learned back in 2004 is that I don't have to find them all.

I've got 15 on the ignore list right now:

Uninteresting challenges – 4 (if I meet the requirements sometime in the future, great, but I'm not going out of my way)

Time consuming mysteries (drive 100s of kms looking for tree tags which may or may not still be there, um, no thanks) – 6

Very difficult read-my-mind-or-need-alot-of-help puzzles - 2

Bushwacking difficult-to-find micro – 1

Have to pay for parking and possibly talk to library staff – 1

Don’t have the boat to get to - 1

These are mostly in the area close to my home. I prefer them off the map so I don't have to look at them. As I cache further in my city, there will be more to add to the list.

There are some caches that were on the ignore list for a long time, such as difficult terrain or evil nano searches which I eventually decided to give a try and get my smilie. If I get really bored, I may eventually do all the cache on my ignore list, but that day hasn't come yet.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

On our ignore list so far are -

Puzzles that we'll never solve

Wherigos, as we don't have the right GPS or a smartphone

Any cache of any size that includes "extreme stealth required" or "a cache and dash" in the description

Some local urban caches

A local power trail of identical micros hidden purely because they are 528 feet from the last.

I'm at almost 500 on my Ignore List.

Cemetery caches.

(What's the best way to put this?) Caches owned by cachers with whom I've had a clash of personalities. (Yeah. Does happen.) "Nice trail! But only micros in the woods?" "Then don't hunt my caches." "Okay."

Whereigoes.

Others for varying reasons. Nasty hides, for one.

Most puzzles - although my pocket queries exclude puzzles so I often never see them.

Challenges that go beyond anything that i might consider - streaks, 10 icons in a day, six western states in a day, those with convoluted requirements.

Caches placed on private property (parking lots, malls) or that give me no reason to go to that area , although it is often too much work to bother putting them on my ignore list and easier just to ignore them. Needle in a haystack hides. Caches that require special equipment (such as kayaks) that I do not have.

Meh. I don't ignore any. even the ones that are close to me and taunting me, like the LPC by work that is 50 feet from a movie theater and a starbucks outdoor seating area and i have no idea how to get it without being seen my 40 muggles unless i go there at 4 am...i mean, it's just an LPC but i am determined to cross it off my list someday.

guess i'm just not picky like some folks. every cache brings its own challenge...even the ugly LPCs. i may think differently after i have thousands of smilies, but for now i rule nothing out.

Believe me, us "picky" people are the teeny weeny minority. You're mainstream. This is the forums, you know. :laughing:

I ignore: All parking lot micros

Challenges I'll never qualify for

Puzzles I'll never solve

Roadside turds with no safe parking

That last one, there was an absolutely unbelievable one placed in my area 3 months ago by a young teen (picture in his profile). Guardrail cache on A 45 MPH semi-rural road with NO SHOULDER AT ALL, and nowhere to park for 1/2 mile in either direction. The only 3 finders were the FTF and two FTF wannabees who were out together. The local 20,000+ find lady who would find anything anyone puts anywhere and calls a cache posted a DNF. It hasn't had a single log of any kind in about 8 weeks (other than the kid posting a tftc find on his own cache. :unsure:) There are 15 caches within 2 miles of it. Thank you, Geocachers, for staying away, and restoring my faith in you. :P

EDIT: P.S. that cache not only is not on my ignore list, it's on my watchlist. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Hello all. So I've been slowly working my way through different areas on my local geocache map. I love seeing the different smileys start filling in my area.

As I visit the various caches however there are some that I just chose not to do at the time. For example, drove to one that was on the side of a rural road. There wasn't much of a shoulder for parking. Plus the cache appeared to be another 20 meters past a really steep ditch. Well, I just didn't want the cache that badly so I skipped it. Didn't put up a DNF because I didn't even get out of the car.

I hadn't ignored any caches yet because I just didn't see a need for it. But as I start finding more caches, I am noticing that the ones that I have decided to skip are getting rather annoying on my map. I keep clicking on them like I'm going to put them on my list to go find them but then remember that I didn't like it for whatever reason (usually situations like the one I mentioned). So now I am considering clicking "ignore" on the ones that I know I don't want to go find.

So my question is, what are your thoughts about ignoring geocaches? When do you decide to ignore a cache? What are some examples? Do you actually click "ignore" or do you just let them sit there on your map? Are there reasons not to click "ignore"?

I just leave things on the map, it's not like their presence makes a difference.

Reasons I'll ignore a cache-

It's a lame nano. Bonus marks for being a nano on a metal fence that's 6-8 feet high and extends for 100 yards in both directions from GZ, with a hint like "magnetic". Double bonus for choosing a fence with brambles growing through it.

It's hidden by someone with a track record of not maintaining caches or of posting caches with really bad coordinates. Bonus points for posting a lame nano with bad coordinates.

It's in an area of such high muggle activity and hidden in a way that there's no realistic way of retrieving it without drawing a lot of attention. One I attempted a while back was on a sign high over my head - the "stealth" attribute was present but the location was next to a busy road, on a busy footpath, opposite a bus station and a train station. I'm over six feet tall so how anyone shorter than me could do it at all remains a mystery. It wasn't a particularly desirable area so returning after dark didn't seem like a very good option either.

The area just isn't a nice place to be. I have no interest in searching through piles of rubbish, digging through abandoned piles of junk and prickly plants hunting a container that may not even be there.

The area is clearly not conducive to searching at all - if it's overlooked by lots of houses, too near a school for a lone man to feel comfortable ferretting around in the bushes etc. If it's in someone's front garden I'll leave it - even if it does allegedly have permission I don't want to upset someone by rooting around in the wrong garden or some such. I'd be pretty hacked off if I had to keep telling strangers to get off my garden.

Edited by team tisri

The only cache on my ignore list is also on my watch list.

It's a complicated multi that I was involved in hiding, so I don't plan to ever log a find on it.

But I want to read about the adventures that finders do have.

Everything else is fair game to go onto my map; deciding whether or not it's on today's search route is another story.

Two types of caches on my ignore list:

1) DNFs from me. These come off as soon as someone else finds them or until someone says its there. That way I don't post back to back DNFs.

2) Challenges that aren't practical for me to finish in the near future.

Lil Smith (my son) ignores almost nothing. If we've searched and can't find it, he leaves it there so it sticks in his craw a while.

Although I am pretty new (40 finds)I have walked away from quite a few.

The Urban hided where the owner says watch for muggles? Really? you put it in a lamp post right at a busy intersection...watch for muggles? Please.

The bushwackers. Maybe a good cache in the fall/winter but please think about the ton's of brush and ivy in the warm months a cacher's will face.

Caches with no parking or the ultra hide ones where you look like a fool to any passing by looking for it more than 5 minutes.

I wish some would think before they place a cache and some are really good at it others not so good.

I like a good challenge but I don't have an hour to search for your micro tube in a stick in the middle of the woods.

We use out ignore list to ignore all puzzles (and multi/letterbox/Wherigo) we solved; this way the 'solved' puzzles don't show up on the map, making it easier to see which puzzles we still need to solve.

With about 650 mysteries within 10km from where we live, keeping the map 'clean' this way is really helpful.

(In order not to loose track of what we have solved, We also maintain a 'solved' bookmark list.)

Cheers,

Mr. Terratin

I don't ignore any.

Like J Grouchy, I have no caches in my ignore list. Though probably not for the same reason. There are gobs of caches out there which I have no interest in hunting, such as power trails, P&Gs, LPCs and their crappy brethren, etc. Pretty much any cache which gives me the impression that it was hidden for no reason other than to generate another mindless smiley for some numbers hound. Back when I used my ignore list, these types are what filled it. At some point I had an epiphany; I don't need to clear my map. If there is some craptastic cache plopped amongst caches I've found, I'm okay with that. I think my ignore list went away when my premium membership ended, so, for me, it's a moot point, but I still apply the same etiquette.

While there are more caches which I "ignore" and leave on the map, there are only 12 caches on my ignore list. All of them are caches I have attempted, did not find, and did not enjoy to want to try again. Basically I didn't like the experience so I prefer to ignore so I don't see them again.

Some of the caches I ignore is because I don't like them, others are because I know I can't get them. I've never considered the ignore feature as a personal statement, it's just a convenience to keep them out of my PQ. Once my circumstances have changed I've even added a few back in.

It's a tool, use it to your advantage.

I don't ignore any.

Like J Grouchy, I have no caches in my ignore list. Though probably not for the same reason. There are gobs of caches out there which I have no interest in hunting, such as power trails, P&Gs, LPCs and their crappy brethren, etc. Pretty much any cache which gives me the impression that it was hidden for no reason other than to generate another mindless smiley for some numbers hound. Back when I used my ignore list, these types are what filled it. At some point I had an epiphany; I don't need to clear my map. If there is some craptastic cache plopped amongst caches I've found, I'm okay with that. I think my ignore list went away when my premium membership ended, so, for me, it's a moot point, but I still apply the same etiquette.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I appreciate the ability remove caches via PQ (type-D/T) or ignore. It cuts down on the reading just to decide.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce
I don't ignore any.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I appreciate the ability remove caches via PQ (type-D/T) or ignore. It cuts down on the reading just to decide.

bd

Oh, I agree. Whole heartedly.

Back when I had a premium membership, my PQs were carefully crafted to avoid loading trache onto my Garmin. B)

I tend to ignore caches that I have no interest in finding. A local series was on clothing donation boxes. Always feels a little creepy to skulk around those boxes if I'm not making a deposit. One nearby requires me to climb up a parially fallen tree. Not a position I feel comfortable placing myslef in. One nearby has a long string of DNFs (including mine). A couple with dangerous options for parking.

I don't ignore any.

bd

Oh, I agree. Whole heartedly.

Back when I had a premium membership, my PQs were carefully crafted to avoid loading trache onto my Garmin. B)

Yes, if you are no longer Premium, you cannot and do not have an ignore list. :)

You still show as premium in the forums. But I've had a couple Pay Pal screw-ups over the years that left me non-premo for up to a couple weeks, and it still showed Premium on here.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

But I don't use the ignore feature. Instead I filter them post-download.

Rather wasteful, eh?

Making the PQ generator include data you will never use...repeatedly.

Not "never" - I play other GPS games, and when one of my other games lands in a spot, I *may* load some of those local caches. Depends on my mood.

I skip over many caches for different reasons. I've never put a single one of them on an ignore list. Why bother?

Because if you're like me, you see a little green box on the map and click on it thinking oooh a new cache, only to realize it's a cache you decided you had no interest in. Repeat this about 2 dozen times and you'll see why I use my ignore list.

1. Caches in places that are of no interest to me. "This nano is devoted to my son Charlie who was born 15 years ago in a hospital nearby".

2. All puzzles that require too much homework. (I prefer spending time outdoors).

3. Puzzles with "national-specific" tasks that I'm not able to solve (e.g. a puzzle with description in Finnish language requiring good knowledge and understanding of Finnish poetry).

4. Multi-steps that require driving between steps and/or too many steps.

5. Multi-steps that require too much calculations like (A+B*C/(D+32)-(E/F+157))*14+324...

6. Virtuals, webcams and whereigos.

7. Caches in places where I've already been and don't want to return once again.

All this applies to foreign trips only.

In our area I don't ignore any geocaches (technically): I need all of them on the map when I place my own geocaches (to follow the 161m guideline). In practice, I ignore some caches of the mentioned categories plus those placed by people whom I believe to be unfriendly for any reasons.

Edited by -CJ-
I ignore: All parking lot micros

Challenges I'll never qualify for

Puzzles I'll never solve

Roadside turds with no safe parking

That last one, there was an absolutely unbelievable one placed in my area 3 months ago by a young teen (picture in his profile). Guardrail cache on A 45 MPH semi-rural road with NO SHOULDER AT ALL, and nowhere to park for 1/2 mile in either direction. The only 3 finders were the FTF and two FTF wannabees who were out together. The local 20,000+ find lady who would find anything anyone puts anywhere and calls a cache posted a DNF. It hasn't had a single log of any kind in about 8 weeks (other than the kid posting a tftc find on his own cache. :unsure:) There are 15 caches within 2 miles of it. Thank you, Geocachers, for staying away, and restoring my faith in you. :P

EDIT: P.S. that cache not only is not on my ignore list, it's on my watchlist. :lol:

Also a great story for one of those "what's on your watchlist & why?" forum threads!

Most of mine are kayak, canoe, and/or 4X4 hides. We don't own any. I did have many puzzles on our list, but lately some of them have been taken off the list.

I was forced away from geocaching for several months. I spent the time learning a lot about puzzle caches.

Added a new one today.

When retrieving the cache appears to require a spectacularly unusual manoeuvre in an area overlooked from a few places and where muggles can appear from very nearby without any notice at all. I really don't want to be caught having climbed a lamp post and end up trying to explain to someone what I'm doing.

Great option! I only do caches I like and ignore the rest (which is about 85% of the ones within 10 miles).

I mostly ignore caches that were placed by sadistic COs who are always placing caches in disgusting or extremely dangerous areas. There's one guy in my area who has a whole bunch that he purposely hides in unpleasant places... like near bees nests, in dumpsters, sewage treatment areas, around poisonous/stinging plants etc. I'm sure he gets a kick out of reading the logs coming in about people's kids getting stung 19 times in the face (they did't put 2 nd 2 together from the description) or the 10 dnfs from people not wanting to stick their hands in a viper pit or where dirty needles litter the ground.