Ingrateful DNF

My response to a comment to my cache at GC1RP8Z. With apologies to Col Nathan Jessup

April 19 by jussi71 (101 found)

DNF - I grow tired of bridge caches. There's so many of them you can practically geocache without a GPS unit.

April 19 by Alkhalikoi (503 found)

Son, we live in a world that needs caches, and those caches need to be placed by other geocachers. Whose gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for a bridge cache you didn't even find, and then you curse the cacher who put in there for your enjoyment. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That bridge caches, while tragic to you, entertained me. And my placement of this bridge cache, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, entertained people. You don't want bridge caches because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want more caches, you need more caches. Geocachers place caches in bridges, in trees, even under lamposts. We place and maintain these caches as the backbone of a past-time that means somethig. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the benefit of the very caches that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said TFTC, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a lock-and-lock, and hide a cache. Either way, I don't give a d*** what you think you are entitled to.

Edited by Alkhalikoi
While I appreciate the clever homage to A Few Good Men, calling out another cacher's DNF log on the open forums really isn't cool, IMHO.
Good point. And really, that log wasn't all that bad. I certainly don't feel that it deserved any response at all, much less the huge reply that the cache owner posted.

My response to a comment to my cache at GC1RP8Z. With apologies to Col Nathan Jessup

April 19 by jussi71 (101 found)

DNF - I grow tired of bridge caches. There's so many of them you can practically geocache without a GPS unit.

Yet he still managed to DNF it

Somebody missed the true meaning in "A Few Good Men" and got wrapped up in the fancy rhetoric.

Hint: Jessup wasn't the hero. He and his self-inflated ego were the cause of the problems, not the solution.

I dunno, sounds like a pretty good analogy to me.

As others have said, it wasn't that snarky of a DNF log and I would have completely ignored it. (or if all of my hides were bridge hides, I might think about branching out for variety)

I am afraid to give my truthful opinion in fear I might get flamed by the OP.

I would say take a deep breath and count to ten. Not everyone is going to like your caches. Why not just delete the logs you don't like?

His response was very whiny and yours was just plain rude.

While I appreciate the clever homage to A Few Good Men, calling out another cacher's DNF log on the open forums really isn't cool, IMHO.
Good point. And really, that log wasn't all that bad. I certainly don't feel that it deserved any response at all, much less the huge reply that the cache owner posted.

I think the response was meant in jest, considering the theme of the cache. Therefore, it made sense to make that huge response.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the jussi71 were a sock account he used just so he could make that response. :)

**edited to say I had not actually visited the cache listing. I thought "GC1RP8Z. With apologies to Col Nathan Jessup" was the name of the cache. In retrospect, the response was a bit long winded and uncalled for. The OP should have just ignored and went on his way.

Edited by GeoBain

Don't see a problem with the NF log. See a BIG problem with the CO response. I have seen similar logs on LPC's and pile of stick caches in the woods, never thought twice about them. As to why he hunted it, it is the same reason we hunt pine tree caches. We drove all the way there and while, we don't particularly like them, might as well try to find it while we're there.

You might consider putting something in the description along the lines of;

"If you must log, please make sure it is complimentary. Your experience and/or truth are inconsequential to the owner of this cache."

Somebody missed the true meaning in "A Few Good Men" and got wrapped up in the fancy rhetoric.

Hint: Jessup wasn't the hero. He and his self-inflated ego were the cause of the problems, not the solution.

Gee, thanks for the clarification. I will go rewatch that movie in a new light. It never occurred to me.

Gee, thanks for the clarification. I will go rewatch that movie in a new light. It never occurred to me.

No? It was his ego that determined that the young marine would be "trained" rather than transferred. Had he simply transferred the guy, there would be no trial. :)

Me too...I always thought the Cubans were the bad guy??

I have no caches placed yet."want to get in more time learning".But I sometimes feel that some cache owners are a little overly sensitive when it comes to a negative log.With so many different people and each one has different likes and dislikes,I think the occasional negative log just comes with the territory.I would not take it personally or delete it,but just skim over and ignore it.I think I would only delete it if it were insulting or vulger and such.You cant please them all :)

How do most of you cache owners feel?I am curious because I am still a noob at this.

I thought that was obvious to the most casual observer.

I had a similar experience recently and it taught me to take a few breaths before writing something negative in a log.

A new cache popped up. The listing said that it was a micro in a city park. Micros aren't my favorite type of cache but I do like caches in parks. When I got there I found that the cache wasn't actually in a park. There was a "trail" that lead out of the park. Its actually the area that is kept clear for the power lines that run along the "trail". As I got closer to GZ the amount of garbage and trash increased. Old tires, bottles, empty chemical containers, used diapers, broken furniture, you name it, it was there. After searching for about 3 minutes I left.

In my DNF log I wrote, " I searched for a few minutes but lost interest because looking for a micro tossed out along a trash strewn trail is not my idea of fun".

The CO emailed me through my profile saying "I don't know if you were having a bad day, but there was no reason to put that in a log. Next I received notice that he had deleted my log. If it stopped there I wouldn't have cared much, but the CO sent me another email saying that he was offended by my comments and that he had intended the hide to be a CITO opportunity. He hadn't mentioned anything about CITO in the cache description.

This story still doesn't stop there, In response to the rash of micro hides and the lack of hides using larger containers, another cacher and I hid a series of caches called the Old School Cache series. There are 10 caches hidden in or near 7 different towns. All are regulars hidden in a natural setting, mostly in the woods.

The series has been very well received by the local cachers and the logs have been a joy to read, until the CO of the garbage micro logged his find. He and a friend of his claimed that my hide near his town needed CITO. There is no trash anywhere near the cache and no other logs make any mention of trash or garbage. The other cacher sent me another email telling me that my series lacked any amount of originality and that I as a hypocrite.

The first cache in the series is GC267XJ Old School Cache #1 - Niles. There are links to the other caches in the series listed in the caches description.

I haven't replied to any of the other cacher's emails and I don't intend to .

Thanks for letting me ramble on. It was therapeutic.

Good for you. Let the log stand as an example of how this person wants to handle things. The other logs clearly show how people found the area.

Cache owners connect with far more people than seekers. Not everyone likes every location and some people are just vocal about what they think of an area. I've had to search through trash that wasn't described as a CITO opportunity and I had to bite my tongue when I wanted to ask them why they brought me there.

It took me a bit find the right wording, but you can bet I (ahem...) talked about it with all my caching buddies.

I've learned that my delicate sensibilities don't always mix well with someone else's delicate sensibilities. It's better to get to know the other person first. Then we disagree about caching and not make it personal or petty.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I personally think that the finder is allowed to not like whatever kind of cache he doesn't want to like. His/her response was a little negative, but meh. The Cache Owner's rant, albeit really funny, was pretty uncalled for, and I think it was extra rude to post it here.

I mean, really, not everyone is going to like every cache that you place. I have a cache in my front yard. MANY people do not like front yard caches. And a couple of folks logged that they didn't like that kind of find when they found it.

My response? That's totally okay with me! Why should I be upset that they don't enjoy that kind of find? I put it out knowing that it wouldn't necessarily be popular. It's a "to each their own" sort of situation. I happen to hate caches in trees, while other people just LOVE them. C'est la vie.

Good for you. Let the log stand as an example of how this person wants to handle things. The other logs clearly show how people found the area.

Cache owners connect with far more people than seekers. Not everyone likes every location and some people are just vocal about what they think of an area. I've had to search through trash that wasn't described as a CITO opportunity and I had to bite my tongue when I wanted to ask them why they brought me there.

It took me a bit find the right wording, but you can bet I (ahem...) talked about it with all my caching buddies.

I've learned that my delicate sensibilities don't always mix well with someone else's delicate sensibilities. It's better to get to know the other person first. Then we disagree about caching and not make it personal or petty.

A few of my caching friends have been happy to commiserate with me about this particular cacher and his hides. We come up with schemes to help him "see the light", but in the end its all talk. We move on.

I thought that was obvious to the most casual observer.

You would think but not so. A lot of people viewed Jessup's diatribe as making the point that he was being railroaded. Strange as that may seem to some of us others missed the message of the movie.

I think the response was meant in jest, considering the theme of the cache. Therefore, it made sense to make that huge response.

Touche. I failed to see the humor in the reply earlier. I'm a little slow on the uptake today, I guess.

Touche. I failed to see the humor in the reply earlier. I'm a little slow on the uptake today, I guess.

Nah. You were pretty much on top of things. I was the one that misread the OP. :)

Nah. You were pretty much on top of things. I was the one that misread the OP. :)

Oh, NO... not at all. Surely it was I that was in the wrong!!!

(this conversation will NEVER EVER take place here again... enjoy it while it lasts! :) )

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the benefit of the very caches that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

Yet you did respond to him on your cache page then further your rant on the forums? I am at a loss to your response and why you needed to put it here.

(this conversation will NEVER EVER take place here again... enjoy it while it lasts! :) )

I'll settle it.

You were both wrong. :)

I'm the only one wrong here. Shirley had nothing to do with it. :)

I think that if cachers are tired of a certain kind of cache, they should go ahead and say so in their logs. If every cache in an area is hidden the same way and everyone`s logs are all fawning and sycophantic, new cache hiders are going to get the false impressions about those cache`s popularity and just hide more of them. I`m all in favor of honest feedback. Especially those that use "I" statements, like the one referenced in the original post. "I`m sick of LPCs," is a much better log than "This cache sucks because LPCs suck!" and worlds better than "TFTC."

I think that if cachers are tired of a certain kind of cache, they should go ahead and say so in their logs. If every cache in an area is hidden the same way and everyone`s logs are all fawning and sycophantic, new cache hiders are going to get the false impressions about those cache`s popularity and just hide more of them. I`m all in favor of honest feedback. Especially those that use "I" statements, like the one referenced in the original post. "I`m sick of LPCs," is a much better log than "This cache sucks because LPCs suck!" and worlds better than "TFTC."

I have a better idea. If your think LPC's or GRC's suck, don't log them. Oh, I forgot, you can't whine and give "honest" feedback.

Proud owner of three GRC's that get good logs.

I want the truth!

"you can't handle the truth!!"

actually I thought the response was kinda funny. But then I'm in a particuarlly good mood anyway.

The guy could have left a DNT instead. (did not try)

A CO in our area put out a series of lame hides entitled "lame hide #____" or bad hides or something of the sort. It's supposed to be instructional to newbies. He's got an ivy cache, a rock wall (where he tells where it is because he hates rock walls), a micro in the woods, etc. etc.

That CO wrote on the cache page that he wouldn't blame people if they entered a DNT (did not try).

So I was the first to log the cache of the micro in the woods with any log, and i wrote a DNT. I raved about how I hated micros in the woods and how the woods get trashed with people looking for them, etc, etc. and I went on and on. The CO emailed me with a big THANKS. He was glad to get that cache started out that way. That's what he wanted. LOLOL