cache name censorship

There's been a bit of a controversy over a nice young man's excellent and creative cache hides which have 'suggestive' albeit hilariously appropriate cache names--appropriate in the sense that they describe the way the cache is hidden.

E.g., the cache named 'Desert Morning Wood' was a cache embedded in a piece of wood at the end of a street called 'Desert Morning'. 'This cache is really hung' was the name of a cache that was hung in a tree. 'Suck me dry' was a great cache, hidden in an empty hummingbird feeder in a really interesting spot.

The caches were published, and after some local old biddy-type busybodies complained, the reviewer--who had published them--archived them, or, what really gets me, retracted the listings. (Archived caches can be logged; retracted ones cannot be logged.) I felt as tho' the reviewer second-guessing himself was telling: he didn't see anything wrong with the cache names, until someone complained. The complainers were heeded, but the defenders of free speech were not.

There are many examples of double entendre cache names out there; the following caches are currently published on geocaching.com:

Blown Dick by arisjunior (GC1DCMG)

Blown Down by jREST (GC1MQYY),

This Cache Has Been Blown! by HMB Lipripper (GC1V52J),

BBES #4 Blow Me Down by CachinSpree (GC1MMN2),

Blow It Out of Your (beeeeep)! by graniteman84 (GC23ZGQ),

Blow Me Away by Red Bear (GCG7KW),

Blow me down by cookie42 (GCZ3H6),

Doris doesn't Blow by markellie (GC1W378),

Sucked Dry by JDandDD (GC1R310). <---- This is almost the exact name of one of the caches retracted

It Sucks? It Blows? by LandSnoopers [Charter Member] &Cat-city cachers (GCHTK5).

Why is this inventive cacher being discriminated against and censored while none of the above cachers are?

What does the forum geocaching community think?

I think a certain amount of maturity could be used when placing caches and naming them. I see that level of maturity lacking sometimes and even find it lacking with myself from time to time. (I have one called Westward HO)

Having said that, the lack of maturity really presents itself when someone pulls their cache because they aren't allowed to use a suggestive name that could be offensive and likely was meant to be.

This is GS's playground and if people can't or won't play by their rules they should leave. And leaving in a huff is telling of the cache owner and not indicative of the populace playing the game.

Far from being an "inventive cacher", the use of vulgar, overused terms such as those shows him to be the opposite. I think its great cache names such as this are not put up with. The right thing was done here. Geocaching is and should stay a family friendly activity. This isnt a free speach issue either btw. This is a private website with its own rules.

Personally I think its great the reviewer stood up for what is right in the end. If the caches are great, they will stand out on their own merits, rather than standing out for being named for crude humor.

Edited by kyle98632

It's not offensive until someone says it is. They allow plenty of leeway unless there are complaints. Every cache and community is a bit different. It depends on the wind of the local gossip and how much it is blowing... :D

Personally, I think the names are funny, but not suitable for a cache page.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

In general, Geocaching is supposed to be a family oriented activity. What ever rules there are should be evenly applied though. I hope we don't get to the Carlin 7 words you can never name a cache. Still one of my favorite cache titles was at a BJ's wholesale club. The cache's name was "There She Blows" GCY8V8.

i moved here from Europe and still to this day, after so many years, i am amazed at the unbelievable prudishness people exhibit in NA as opposed to Europe

i wonder if i am allowed to have a cache called "Hoo Hoo Hoo Merry Christmas!"?

apparently Santa is supposed to use "Hee Hee Hee" instead :D

Another case of things gone all PC and no sense.

"There she blows" is an old whaling term. A lookout could see a whale spouting from its blowhole before he could see the whale itself. This phrase has nothing to do with sex. If they were offended at whaling, than fair enough, but this seems to be an issue with sexual innuendo.

I think people are just reading way too much into things that just aren't there.

There's been a bit of a controversy over a nice young man's excellent and creative cache hides which have 'suggestive' albeit hilariously appropriate cache names--appropriate in the sense that they describe the way the cache is hidden.

E.g., the cache named 'Desert Morning Wood' was a cache embedded in a piece of wood at the end of a street called 'Desert Morning'. 'This cache is really hung' was the name of a cache that was hung in a tree. 'Suck me dry' was a great cache, hidden in an empty hummingbird feeder in a really interesting spot.

The caches were published, and after some local old biddy-type busybodies complained, the reviewer--who had published them--archived them, or, what really gets me, retracted the listings. (Archived caches can be logged; retracted ones cannot be logged.) I felt as tho' the reviewer second-guessing himself was telling: he didn't see anything wrong with the cache names, until someone complained. The complainers were heeded, but the defenders of free speech were not.

There are many examples of double entendre cache names out there; the following caches are currently published on geocaching.com:

Sucked Dry by JDandDD (GC1R310). <---- This is almost the exact name of one of the caches retracted

It Sucks? It Blows? by LandSnoopers [Charter Member] &Cat-city cachers (GCHTK5).

Why is this inventive cacher being discriminated against and censored while none of the above cachers are?

I see nothing wrong with the names.But that's just my opinion until the do gooders say I can't have a opinion

I don't see any of those names to be suggestive wood is wood or a bunch of trees together, sucked dry is simply that and pretty appropriate for the location it seems and well Hung may have some suggestion about it, also a past tense of to hang

blow doesn't always have something to do with sex blow me down is an expression of surprise or amazement and there she blows as a pp said was used in whaling and now is used with similar meaning for seeing a thing or location

the only way I'd see someone being offended is if thier mind is in the gutter and they see every possible double meaning as the sexual one

You're always going to find somebody that will stretch their lips and unhinge their jaw to blow something out of proportion.

My suggestion, shrug and hide one called "Blown out of all proportions".

:P

I hope Weir Dammed doesn't get banned because some one gets offended by how it sounds.

I would be obligated to make the hide even harder to get to, hide it in a false bolt and name it Screw University.

I have already figured out how make it a 4/4.5 and keep the exact coords. :D

I don't see any issue with the names. It sounds like they're accurate. They're also funny for the adults, but not harmful to the kids. It's like the adult jokes in kids movies. It's all good. If someone views them as dirty and offensive they should lighten up. :D

Goodness, did you just do a word search, and not even check these caches or think about what they really mean? The word "blow" is not sexual all on its own. Many phrases that use the word "blow" are not automatically sexual.

Speaking of the example you cited, "Blow Me Away", that phrase is not sexual. It is most commonly used as a term for shooting someone, or surprising someone.

That cache, "Blow Me Away" by Red Bear (GCG7KW), is here in my hometown. It is a multi created by a Christian pastor, highlighting a cool Civil War cannon in one of our parks (incidentally, the name of the park is "Memorial Park", and it has several memorials to the Americans who have fought in the various wars that our country has been involved in).

Talking about blowing things out of proportion. :P:D

Edit: In fact, looking over your list, only a couple of the names even look remotely questionable. The rest are commonly used phrases that do not have sexual meanings.

Edited by Ambrosia

In general, Geocaching is supposed to be a family oriented activity. What ever rules there are should be evenly applied though. I hope we don't get to the Carlin 7 words you can never name a cache. Still one of my favorite cache titles was at a BJ's wholesale club. The cache's name was "There She Blows" GCY8V8.

Call me a prude, but I think that's inappropriate for a cache name on a family friendly website. Plus we all know darn well they didn't have permission to hide a cache in BJ's parking lot. Not that I would ever even think of reporting such comedic zanyness.

And nice "velcro finds" towards the end there. :D

i moved here from Europe and still to this day, after so many years, i am amazed at the unbelievable prudishness people exhibit in NA as opposed to Europe

Or maybe we just think a little bit more about how our behavior affects others. I am not for censorship at all it would be far better that we use a bit of common sense and police ourselves. Yes. someone could read into about anything you could put up but it is fairly easy to tell when someone is trying for locker room humor.

Edited by hoosier guy

Those titles are sofa king suggestive!!! If they aren't all archived immediately, I'm sofa king gonna quit! :D

(I know I'm sofa king gonna get a 3 day suspension for this. Lol, I crack myself up.)

Groundspeak can only act on these things if someone reports them.

Really? Wouldn't checking the names be part of the cache submission reviewing process?

Sure, but some of these things slip through the cracks. And people can change a cache name after it's published.

What the community thinks doesn't matter one whit. TPTB call the shots and that's it. (Well, unless folks complain about not having their numbers and then they capitulate.)

IMHO? I think censoring on PG-13 names is wrong. Double entendre was probably invented because of hidden meaning only for those in the know. It's punny. Designed to hide the true meaning from sensitive ears. Therefore, because it has an innocent meaning it's good to go. To quote the Great George Carlin, "Even in a Walt Disney movie, you can say, We're going to snatch that pussy and put him in a box and bring him on the airplane." What bad words did I just quote?

But, I'm not running this site. It's not my call.

Really? Wouldn't checking the names be part of the cache submission reviewing process?

Sure, but some of these things slip through the cracks. And people can change a cache name after it's published.

If the fantasy that is called "self-policing" were a reality, this discussion would never have occurred.

As such the examples of potentially offensive cache names that have been highlighted are likely to continue to infinity.

Of course, you could make the same argument for inappropriate cache hides and we all can see how well that has worked.

hhhmmmmm , All theis really makes me want to place a cache in the village in Dorset with the wonderful name or "Upper Badgers Bottom".. Using a toy sheep as a container and calling the cache - - - -

"Rammed Upper Badgers Bottom" .. :D .... :P . or maybe not

Edited by Smurf

It sucks that people get all excited over it, but for every person that thinks it's funny there is always the potential for someone else to get equally annoyed. It's not mine or anyone's call, but ultimately up to Groundspeak to take the correct position and get on top of it without being too hard on anyone.

My wife has been a teacher for many years. She used to teach Junior high biology. She has been fortunate to be teaching more advanced classes to High School Students for many years now.

Some of those cache titles remind me of junior high boys' comments when I visited the classroom. Inappropriate - yes. Vulgar - no.

It is up to the geocacher to use common sense. I know it is the least used of all senses.

The last thing we need is a filtering program that decides which names are OK to use.

If this happens, I would have one that isn't even meant as a double entendre banned. Many caches would be affected by a filtering program.

So the best thing to do is use our heads while naming caches. Too many complaints and TPTB might take the censoring of cache name out of human hands. We don't want that to happen.

I must be dense. What's wrong with 'Desert Morning Wood'?

The problem with 'Suck Me Dry' is that it was in a pickel park. :D I think that one is off-color. And the only one on th list that I find offensive.

The big question is "Whatever happened to polite society?" Off-color humor has always been around. Whispered, not used as cache names. But polite society is gone. Now it's 'the least common denominator.' Street language. I miss polite society. Oh, well.

Reminds me of a place I used to work. The boss told the lab tech to take a piece of glassware to the glass working department, and get it fitted with a male ground glass joint. She brought it back with a female ground glass joint. He, rather graphically, demonstrated the difference to her. I have never seen anyone turn quite that shade of red! But, for fittings of all sorts, that is the proper terminology...

My wife has been a teacher for many years. She used to teach Junior high biology. She has been fortunate to be teaching more advanced classes to High School Students for many years now.

Some of those cache titles remind me of junior high boys' comments when I visited the classroom. Inappropriate - yes. Vulgar - no.

If it's not vulgar why is it inappropriate?

There's a thin line between juvenile attempts to push the envelope and humor. That line is almost always one of context. My opinion is that in the context used the retracted cache names are poor attempts at potty-mouth entandre, no double about it.

I suspect that the Reviewer was on the fence and decided to let it go with the thought that if anyone complained he would rescind his decision. That's entirely appropriate in questionable areas.

It sucks that people get all excited over it, but for every person that thinks it's funny there is always the potential for someone else to get equally annoyed. It's not mine or anyone's call, but ultimately up to Groundspeak to take the correct position and get on top of it without being too hard on anyone.

How'd I know you were going to go there? :D

There are a few caches in my area with names some might question... One example is "Harry Balls" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...41-0364f41cfdc3

Another is one of mine call "Are You Effing Nuts" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...be-f8f02a4848c1

I also have one called "Don't Forget To Grab Your Balls" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-d615f6b83dc9

The funny thing is, no one complains about these, yet I have a cache called "Signs #20 - Huh?" that raises questions among many. It's part of a "Signs" series and it's located on a sign for a deaf child area. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-fb791ac931d8

The problem I see is who gets to play big brother and decide which names are ok and which are not? I personally love to see creative names that are a play on words.

Doesn't that imply censorship?

Of course it does. As a private business Groundspeak can censor anything any way it wants to... and they should! That's why this game has remained family-friendly for ten years now!

Most folks totally misunderstand the American system of government and think that they have some sort of 'right to free speech' and 'right to be free of censorship'. Wrong. Go back to basic American government class at your local high school and pay attention this time. Within certain limits you have a right to protected speech BY THE GOVERNMENT... Business can restrict your speech anytime they want to.

You can say "The American government sux" and no policeman can arrest you for it... but Groundspeak can cancel your account for saying it and you will have no legal recourse.

See the difference?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Or maybe we just think a little bit more about how our behavior affects others. I am not for censorship at all it would be far better that we use a bit of common sense and police ourselves. Yes. someone could read into about anything you could put up but it is fairly easy to tell when someone is trying for locker room humor.

this has nothing to do with how our behaviour affects others, due to the emergence of urban dictionary and new slang entries regular expressions have become a source of misinterpretation

i would put into question the "workings" of a the mind of those that choose to read the "dirty" underlying message in some sentences

anyways, obviously this people didn't think was anything wrong with this web address for their catering business LMAO

Appetizingly Yours Events & Catering

www. appyours. com/

...i would put into question the "workings" of a the mind of those that choose to read the "dirty" underlying message in some sentences...

Then you obviously don't understand the concept of double entendre.

From Wikipedia:

A double entendre (pronounced /ˌduː.bᵊl.ɑ̃ːnˈtɑ̃ːn.drə/ (BrE)) or adianoeta[1] is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué, inappropriate, or ironic.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a double entendre as especially being used to "convey an indelicate meaning". It is often used to express potentially offensive opinions without the risks of explicitly doing so.

A double entendre may exploit puns to convey the second meaning, but puns are more often used in sentences that do not have a second meaning. Double entendres tend to rely more on multiple meanings of words, or different interpretations of the same primary meaning; they often exploit ambiguity and may be used to introduce it deliberately in a text.

A person who is not familiar with the hidden or alternative meaning of a sentence may fail to detect its innuendos, aside from observing that others find it humorous for no apparent reason. Perhaps because it is not offensive to those who don't recognize it, innuendo is often used in sitcoms and other comedy considered suitable for children, who may enjoy the comedy while oblivious to its second meanings. Innuendo can also be used to make socially acceptable sexual humor. Shakespeare's play Much Ado About Nothing used this ploy to present a surface level description of the play as well as a pun on the Elizabethan use of "nothing" as slang for sexual relations.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

...looking over your list, only a couple of the names even look remotely questionable. The rest are commonly used phrases that do not have sexual meanings.

Exactly my point!

That's why it's so upsetting that these caches were archived/retracted by the reviewer who originally published them! The one or two folks who didn't like the names were able to influence the reviewer's actions, while the majority that enjoyed the double entendres--and, more importantly, the high-quality caches!-were ignored by the reviewer.

And...I thought that discussion on the geocaching.com forums could sway reviewer decisions... :D

And...I thought that discussion on the geocaching.com forums could sway reviewer decisions... :D

Maybe. I think discussion between the reviewer and the cache owners has a better chance- with the cache owner willing to make a change if the reviewer feels it necessary. (CO can always appeal to Groundspeak if they feel it warranted.)

I don't think discussion between uinvolved parties has ever changed a reviewer's mind.

Edited by Castle Mischief

"i would put into question the "workings" of a the mind of those that choose to read the "dirty" underlying message in some sentences"

Ahhh, that is so amusing. The people complaining must be the ones with the dirty minds right? :D

As for the urban slang, yes it is true that years of catering to the lowest common denominator have sadly eroded society.

...looking over your list, only a couple of the names even look remotely questionable. The rest are commonly used phrases that do not have sexual meanings.

Exactly my point!

That's why it's so upsetting that these caches were archived/retracted by the reviewer who originally published them! The one or two folks who didn't like the names were able to influence the reviewer's actions, while the majority that enjoyed the double entendres--and, more importantly, the high-quality caches!-were ignored by the reviewer.

Well, the ones that I felt were ok were almost all the ones on your list of examples. A couple of the original ones that you said were archived seemed a bit questionable. :)

Meh, I don't like trying to sort out these kinds of grey areas. But, Groundspeak is a private company, and they can decide whatever they would like about cache names. And in the guidelines, they say that no other caches should be used as precedents, so I guess the whole thread is kinda moot. :P

Edited by Ambrosia

I dunno about Canada, but in the States, he uses "ho-ho-ho". Read into that whatever you like.

I agree with you about NA prudishness, and I grew up in the Midwest. The further west I've travelled, (outside the US), the less up-tight it got. Here at home, it's more dependent on where you are. I have found California to be on the whole more puckered-up than Washington State.

Exactly my point!

The difference, as I see it, is intent. 'Desert Morning Wood' and 'Suck me dry', I think, have a pretty obvious intent to be sexual double entendres (and I suspect this cache owner has others that you did not mention?). Very few of the "similar" examples that you listed seem to have that sort of intent.

Well, sadly, we in this country do live in a time where "the offended" (who I prefer to call "those that chose to take offence") seem to dictate both policy and law. Edited by knowschad

Of course it does. As a private business Groundspeak can censor anything any way it wants to... and they should! That's why this game has remained family-friendly for ten years now!

Most folks totally misunderstand the American system of government and think that they have some sort of 'right to free speech' and 'right to be free of censorship'. Wrong. Go back to basic American government class at your local high school and pay attention this time. Within certain limits you have a right to protected speech BY THE GOVERNMENT... Business can restrict your speech anytime they want to.

You can say "The American government sux" and no policeman can arrest you for it... but Groundspeak can cancel your account for saying it and you will have no legal recourse.

See the difference?

See the difference?

Is there some point you are trying to make? :D