New World Record - 566 caches found in one day

It's happened again.

Another crazy record has been broken. :wub:

This time Ventura_Kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal have pushed the limit up.

We found 566 geocaches in one day.

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

Congrats! You blew me away when you found the 400+ here in Colorado last August. At least this time you weren't so far from home. Yeah, they are easy, most cachers will describe as lame hides, but the challenge to see how many in one day is what makes it fun. Geocaching is the sport that easily fits into anyone's cache hunting desires. You have way more stamina than me!!

I don't get it. What's the point?

And, how can you possibly only spend 2 minutes 30 seconds per cache for a 24 hour period? Unless you found a place where there are 566 png caches with tenth-mile spacing on every one. But that doesn't make any sense either.

To each their own, I guess.

And, how can you possibly only spend 2 minutes 30 seconds per cache for a 24 hour period? Unless you found a place where there are 566 png caches with tenth-mile spacing on every one. But that doesn't make any sense either.

He did

9c1a1737-7d19-4d94-974e-6ba050311017.jpg

It's happened again.

Another crazy record has been broken. :wub:

This time Ventura_Kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal have pushed the limit up.

We found 566 geocaches in one day.

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

That's quite the count but I find it more interesting that, when I looked, you had 911 posts and had joined on 9/11/01. Spooky

Congrats again! The record stands! Until someone comes along and places a power trail along a paved road, with keyholders on road signs. Which believe me, they will somewhere soon. :wub:

At that point, I think 2 minutes/cache is about the best anyone could possibly do, and that would max out at 720 caches in 24 hours.

Not that anyone cares, but I myself had to investigate this wacky newfangled power trail thing yesterday, via bicycle along a rural rails to trails. We were doing 10 an hour, or a cache every 6 minutes. Smalls and regulars "in the woods", but never more than 250 feet off the rail trail; most less than 100 feet.

I would need to take the entire next week off just to recover from writer's cramp signing my caching name 566 times in 1 day! :wub:

Of course that would then allow ample time for the 566 copy & paste logs online!

Do they sign the logs? Or do they use pre-signed stickers?

I would need to take the entire next week off just to recover from writer's cramp signing my caching name 566 times in 1 day! :wub:

Of course that would then allow ample time for the 566 copy & paste logs online!

Well, they did say "no cheating", most topics I read around here say "no sign = no find".

Congrats,

Psychopedics and I are headed down Wednesday 03/31/10 we will be enduring an eleven hour drive just to get there and it is our intention to give the trail a whirl.

I see a couple of folks from Switzerland have ventured out on the trail.

The idea of doing a Powertrail has captured our imagination - just because it is there we be there. I have seen some amazing vistas with some " Goober Caches " and I am certain that we will see some grand sites along this trail.

I will admit that we have in excess of 567 scoped out ... doing them. Naaaaaaaahhhh - but hey, you never know.

Again, this is not for every one, however, hats off to the Nevada Caching Association for creating this Mojave Desert experience. A big wave of my hat to the Ventura Kids for their new record.

Edited by humboldt flier

What I applaud is the fact that they took what others view as a "lame" and mundane trail of micros, and made a challenge for themselves. Rather than dismiss it outright as "lame" they figured out how to make something meaningful to themselves. And got a days enjoyment out of setting their own personal records.(please note the reference to "themselves" and "their own", as many will dismiss this accomplishment also)

Its all in the mental perception.

Congratulations to each of the team members!!!

CONGRATS!! That is a lot of caches. Where will you strike next?

Ya know-I don't think they do it for the ego stroking. I think they do it because they have FUN caching like that sometimes. I think it sounds like FUN too, and we discussed a trip out there while we were driving around north-central NC yesterday on a run of our own.

We only found about 40 yesterday, but it was raining hard, and we had to quit at 4 because there were tornado warning for the area. Oh-and we weren't smart enough to pack lunch and there weren't any palatable options where we were, nor beyond in the direction of more caches. :wub:

Almost all the caches I have found in my local area they have found. And its almost always been a pre signed sticker on the log.

Almost all the caches I have found in my local area they have found. And its almost always been a pre signed sticker on the log.

Yeah, since VK posted again, and must have missed that question, according to the thread about their first world record (Denver airport area), they definitely used stickers. I'm rather certain they would have again.

I found 9 caches this afternoon. It was fun. Congrats on your latest extreme adventure.

I found one cache on the same day. I wouldn't have traded that one find for 500 finds on a power trail. The one I found was at the entrance to Mikumi National Park in Tanzania.

I found two cache this weekend. I also did my taxes.

Thanks for all the positive comments!!!

We will be waiting for our prize. Will it arrive in the mail? :D

No, you get it right here and where ever you are recognized by geocachers who give a hoot about it: YOUR EGO WILL BE STROKED.

:wub:

Congratulations! You've achieved your goal.

That's an AMAZING geocaching achievement!!! :):):)

Yay for them! :wub: And why shouldn't they be stroked? They DESERVE to be stroked. :DB)B)

Why I myself enjoy a good stroking. :wub:

If anyone wants to stroke me go right ahead. :wub:

If anyone else needs stroking, I say post it and some will stroke. :(

Edited by Snoogans

Congratulations :wub: That's a lot of hard work! The most I've done in one day is 29 - a series of film canisters along a highway - and afterwards my friend and I had massive headaches and didn't talk the whole way back lol. I far prefer finding one or two caches along a long scenic trail but I would do it again if in good company :(

I found 9 caches this afternoon. It was fun. Congrats on your latest extreme adventure.

I found one cache on the same day. I wouldn't have traded that one find for 500 finds on a power trail. The one I found was at the entrance to Mikumi National Park in Tanzania.

Do your taxes or go geocaching? That's an easy question.

It looks like you got it partly correct. :(

Um....stickers. Yes, we have always used stickers....before they were in style......and even now that they seem to be out of style. I like the look over the plain black inked stamps, and the scribbly handwriting.....just my preference. Perhaps they will some day become the 'in' fad again.

During our World Record Breaking Run at the Trail of the Gods, We had one team member take a bad fall :wub: ....still waiting for the doctors evaluation of her foot. That area is full of loose rocks, shale, and sandy gravel. If you head out that way, be careful of your footing.

I found 1 cache on March 26th. I had fun, but probably not as much fun as ventura_kids.

I found 1 cache on March 26th. I had fun, but probably not as much fun as ventura_kids.

Hey Ventura Kids,

Do you recall which cache is MIA we will be in the area mid week and can replace the missing one on the TOTG unless you've already done so.

Again, CONGRATS

During our World Record Breaking Run at the Trail of the Gods, We had one team member take a bad fall :D ....still waiting for the doctors evaluation of her foot. That area is full of loose rocks, shale, and sandy gravel. If you head out that way, be careful of your footing.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and Congrats to the whole team. I've never been that interested in attempting anything like that, but this Trail of the Gods looks like it could be a blast at any pace. I'd love to spend a few days working it on ATVs with Camping Gear, and I've never done anything like that either.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Well, they did say "no cheating", most topics I read around here say "no sign = no find".

I think it's sooo funny that people have taken a rule...

"sign = no deletion"

and turned it into a completelty opposite rule

"no sign = no find"

There's no rule that says you have to sign a logbook to claim a find. That distinction is up to the owner of the Cache. But, that's a topic for another thread...or fifty.

One would think so, but by the other threads, if only one climbed the proverbial tree then only one can claim the find.

I'm sure that all 4 didn't "find" each cache. So, only one person found it, averaging out to 141.5 finds per person, though all "visited" the cache, assuming the driver got out each time...

Wow, that's an awesome milestone for 24 hrs of power caching.

To take a shot at the question of "why - dunno"

In four years of caching, I have tried it twice along with my brother, a fellow cacher. Yes, it is partly about the numbers, but it was also about the personal challenge (planning, preparing, driving, biking, hiking, bushwacking for 24 hours). The caches found during those 24 hr days leave long lasting memories...give it a try some time.

PS Bring at least 1 of those 5 hr power drinks!

What I applaud is the fact that they took what others view as a "lame" and mundane trail of micros, and made a challenge for themselves. Rather than dismiss it outright as "lame" they figured out how to make something meaningful to themselves.

They actually used the trail for it's intended purpose. It's only lame to the non-numbers people. It's the best thing since sliced bread for the numbers crowd. :D

I would need to take the entire next week off just to recover from writer's cramp signing my caching name 566 times in 1 day! :D

If you read the post from one of the guys who did it with them, they used stickers.

He did

9c1a1737-7d19-4d94-974e-6ba050311017.jpg

When I first seen that trail I thought, "Why the heck would someone do that?" Now I know. Don't seem like much of a challenge, I'm sure it was exhausting though. Congrats I reckon.