New World Record - 566 caches found in one day

Congrats! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds monotonous. :D

Maybe it depends on who you are caching with. I've gone geocaching with all the people in this group and extrapolating from the time I've spent with them, I wouldn't think it would get monotonous in only 24 hours. But who knows. they might start to bore me after only 20 hours and 54 minutes :drama: Anyway, I'm sure they had more fun than I had doing my taxes. B)

Congrats! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds monotonous. :D

Maybe it depends on who you are caching with. I've gone geocaching with all the people in this group and extrapolating from the time I've spent with them, I wouldn't think it would get monotonous in only 24 hours. But who knows. they might start to bore me after only 20 hours and 54 minutes :drama: Anyway, I'm sure they had more fun than I had doing my taxes. B)

Oh I know it's exciting to some folks. I had a discussion with TeamSnook at an event a couple of weeks ago. They gave me some insight into the excitement they get from making runs like that. For a lot of people, it would be exciting all day. My ADD would probably kick in about hour 2. LOL

It's happened again.

Another crazy record has been broken. :D

This time Ventura_Kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal have pushed the limit up.

We found 566 geocaches in one day.

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

Good job guys!

It sounds like a good time was had by all. But I'm curious...what governing body verified this as a New World Record? It's a new world record because you guys say it is, right? Right. Cool.

By the way, a few weeks ago I set a New World Record for the most number of caches placed within a mile of my house. Two. Placed by me. It's a New World Record and I'm dashed proud of it.

Next?

It sounds like a good time was had by all. But I'm curious...what governing body verified this as a New World Record? It's a new world record because you guys say it is, right? Right. Cool.

By the way, a few weeks ago I set a New World Record for the most number of caches placed within a mile of my house. Two. Placed by me. It's a New World Record and I'm dashed proud of it.

Next?

Zactly... Will people please stop saying anything is a world record just because you do something?

Honestly.. there is no "world record" for power caching. it's neat that you do it but really.. that's all it is... Neat

Congrats on the high numbers. :D

When i saw the trail i thought it would just be a matter of time before someone broke the old record.

Like when Elmbaek and i did the record late in december, it only took a couple of days before it was broken.

Lets see how long it stands.

/Jacob

Next?

Zactly... Will people please stop saying anything is a world record just because you do something?

Honestly.. there is no "world record" for power caching. it's neat that you do it but really.. that's all it is... Neat

I set a New World Record in the number of times I've rolled my eyes reading this thread.

Amazing! :D I'd love to see your tracklog! B)

Here you go ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I did not try to count the number of dashes to make sure it matches the number of caches found. I expect the track for this run probably does look like a pretty straight line. Not my idea of fun but quite the feat of endurance.

Next?

When you do something, anything, that no one else in the world has done, that's a world record.

This team has found more caches in 24 hours than anyone else in the world, to date, and therefore holds the world's record for caches found in 24 hours.

Arguing that fact just makes folks look juvenile and silly.

Amazing! :D I'd love to see your tracklog! B)

Here you go ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I did not try to count the number of dashes to make sure it matches the number of caches found. I expect the track for this run probably does look like a pretty straight line. Not my idea of fun but quite the feat of endurance.

Have you looked at the Trail?? It's by no means a straight line, and not level either.

There's no rule that says you have to sign a logbook to claim a find. That distinction is up to the owner of the Cache. But, that's a topic for another thread...or fifty.

From the guidelines:

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

I would say -although English is not my first language- that this is equivalent to:

Geocaches can not be logged online as Found unless the physical log has been signed.

Congratulations. It's not the kind of thing I will ever do ... but each one has fun it's own way :D

Next?

They found more caches in a 24 hour period than anyone else in the world. That's a record...a world record. Not quite sure why some insist it's not?

Oh dear, I forgot to add one of these guys :D so it would be clear that I was just being juvenile and silly. I don't argue the fact that they found more caches in a day than anyone else to date, or that it is a record. I suppose what I don't like is the words New World Record in big capital letters, as if geocaching was an Olympic event. It's a personal accomplishment for the folks involved (and I do say congrats on your accomplishment), but it isn't anything "official". There was no competition, no scorekeepers, no gold medals or grand prizes. Nothing wrong with shouting to the world, "Hey, look what I did!", but that's all it is.

I think I'm just digging myself in deeper, so I should hush up. I admit I'm just jealous. When geocaching first started, I get the feeling that it was an activity for the "elite"; that is, those who could afford GPS devices and were able to take long trips and hikes to find the few caches out there. I wouldn't have been able to be involved in it as it existed ten years ago. Now, it seems to be moving into a phase where only the elite again, those who are able to do extreme caching or power caching, can have the real adventures; while I have to "make do" with walking through a suburban park to pick up a micro or two. I enjoy it, but it isn't something I get to shout to the world about. I wish I could, just once, get to wave my flag and yell from the rooftops, "Hey, look what I did!"

Anyway, no hard feelings toward the Ventura Kids and their friends. I hope you had fun. B)

It is pretty amazing - drive to cache, find it, pass around to 4 people to sign the log, go back to vehicle and then move on to next cache. Looks like the trail was fairly slow moving 4x4 path as well.

Is there any hunting to these caches or is it simply getting there as the challenge?

One would think so, but by the other threads, if only one climbed the proverbial tree then only one can claim the find.

I'm sure that all 4 didn't "find" each cache. So, only one person found it, averaging out to 141.5 finds per person, though all "visited" the cache, assuming the driver got out each time...

So, does that mean that if I go out with a caching buddy and we find 1 cache, only the person who actually finds the cache gets credit? If so, that doesn't seem right since we both contributed to the cause of finding the cache. If not, then your statement is based on the number of caches found, and that isn't right because it shouldn't matter if it's one cache or 1000... the rule should apply the same either way.

These guys are soaring on their achievement... don't bring them down.

I say CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by SandyCreekPirates

There's no rule that says you have to sign a logbook to claim a find. That distinction is up to the owner of the Cache. But, that's a topic for another thread...or fifty.

From the guidelines:

I would say -although English is not my first language- that this is equivalent to:

Geocaches can not be logged online as Found unless the physical log has been signed.

Congratulations. It's not the kind of thing I will ever do ... but each one has fun it's own way :blink:

I'm holding a check in my hand that had the signature printed out with a laser printer. No one "signed" this check, yet I don't anticipate any problems cashing it. The sticker, with their Geocaching handle printed on it represents their signature, as it has for the last five years. It should not be an issue.

It is pretty amazing - drive to cache, find it, pass around to 4 people to sign the log slap a sticker on it, go back to vehicle and then move on to next cache. Looks like the trail was fairly slow moving 4x4 path as well.

Is there any hunting to these caches or is it simply getting there as the challenge?

Fixed it for you.

EDIT: To be clear. I don't care how you sign the log, it's not my cache. I do think it's kind of corner-cutting-ish.

Edited by Castle Mischief

It is pretty amazing - drive to cache, find it, pass around to 4 people to sign the log slap a sticker on it, go back to vehicle and then move on to next cache. Looks like the trail was fairly slow moving 4x4 path as well.

Fixed it for you.

EDIT: To be clear. I don't care how you sign the log, it's not my cache. I do think it's kind of corner-cutting-ish.

We had 21 Geocachers on our 12 mile hike last Saturday. We used a single sticker to represent our group. Was that corner-cutting?

Fixed it for you.

We had 21 Geocachers on our 12 mile hike last Saturday. We used a single sticker to represent our group. Was that corner-cutting?

Ish.

(It's really not up to me. I don't like them in logs because the usually become un-sticky and fall out. If it's okay with you and the cache owner, then really it's not my business.)

Sorry - I am one of those rules based personalities. I would sign the log so I guess I had it in my head that the four cachers boasting their accomplishment would do the same. But, now that I think about it that would be one way to make up some time if you were trying to push yourself for 24 hours. I wonder if the other three even got out of the 4x4? I'd have to sign the log in order to look in the mirror. But, that is just the way I am since I view "signing the log" as a requirement for a find.

I wish I could, just once, get to wave my flag and yell from the rooftops, "Hey, look what I did!"

There are certainly ways to play within the game that will allow you some(smaller) chances to do that...FTF is one, Having a great hide is another.

The nice thing about the game is that there are all sorts of ways to wave your flag. I have hiked long distances just to get a single cache and felt like waving my flag afterwards. We did 85 caches on a 40 mile bike ride the other day, I felt like saying "look what I did" but my wife looked at my bruises and cuts from a fall and had a different opinion of my accomplishments. Whether any accomplishment is smaller than 566 finds is a matter of personal interest and style. Since I will never get any number-records for my finds, I feel I could wave my flag by getting another picture on the Groundspeak banner or maintaining one of my hides that gets a lot of visitors.

My first reaction to the 566 number was that there are still a few more caches on the trail. I am sure that others will try for them. The interesting part of this particular record is that there are no second chances at least for that trail. If you hit 564 you could not try it again the next month and see if you can do better. My second reaction was being glad I did not have to log in that many at once.

Edited by Erickson

First, kudos to the VK, fotomom, and cachepal. I knew a VK crew would be the first to crack 500 on those Mojave Desert caches. Their geocaching effort was all about teamwork, focus, and endurance. My group was out in the desert 2 weeks before, to set a 23 hour personal record.

Congrats on the current GC world record. Since TPTB do not have this as a category, and there is no governing board, this forum serves as the appropriate depository for the claim. The above crew has dedicated themselves to caching for more years than most people on this forum, indeed visiting more GC locations in one month than most cachers have in total. And how many cachers are dedicated to task enough to spend 24 hours on goal?

Power runs and team caching are well established GC activities, and fun activities at that. Caching machine runs and 7 GeoWoodstocks have established long GC precedent for the use of stickers on logsheets; not an issue. The VK crew used one vehicle, so leapfrogging is removed as an issue. Finders and crew duties: generally accepted practice that the driver gets credit on team finds. For power trail caches, the hunt and logging are too quick, and the driver works on the bigger time sink of navigation for the next cache. The driver may also stay with the vehicle to turn it around on sharp rocks, or for safety because the engine is rarely turned off. Since the hood is a work desk, the logsheet can come back to the vehicle. On my own run, many times everyone was out of the vehicle, though, because hunting is fun.

These power trails are on dirt out in the mountains and valleys of the Mojave Desert. Things are sharp and pointy, and in one month temps will go triple digit. The Mojave Green rattlesnake loves to coil in the shade at the footing of towers. Though these Hoover Dam power lines are linear, they go up and down the desertscape, and jeep roads wind uphill to find some of the towers. Distance on the ground is probably 3x the linear distance. The nearest gas may be an hour away.

All in all, it's an amazing adventure wheeling out in the desert.

Me, another forum thread, March 18

Figured there'd be hubbub about the jeep power trail. Now I'm not a forum guy, just a boots on the ground cacher... Have also power cached with Alamogul, the VK, EMC, dgreno, and DT21&FW.

So here's a boots on the ground report on TOTG [by] the Geocachers of the Bay Area crew: mpj303, geoides, & bthomas... We started right away in the dark around midnight, and cached away as the Big Dipper spun around and the Sun later leaped across the sky. On the horizon, snow capped the top of Mt Charleston near Vegas and Telescope Peak above Death Valley. The desert was pretty in that raw desert way.

We cached 34/hr when the road was Subaru-able with quick pull throughs, and 10/hr when the road was a low-intermediate jeep track or when we climbed some knoll or arroyo. We exited once to gas (at the World's Tallest Thermometer virt). Geoides had aerial photos loaded on his PN-40, and that cued us on access in the maze of jeep roads, service roads, motorcycle trails, and burro tracks. We came to the 400 milestone in the 23rd hour, on the cold, wind swepted 5000 foot pass west of Primm. It was a great team and we had so much geo-fun.

As mjp303 wrote on the GBA forum, "Power caching is more about time management, teamwork, and endurance, plus being able to make good decisions consistently when you're mentally and physically tired. It's one of the many 'variations' of geocaching, and that makes the game fresh and interesting for me."

There was one cache... Just one.... Where I wasn't within 5 feet of it when it was signed with my name. I couldn't live with it so a couple days later I went back, climbed the hill, opened the cache, took a picture, touched my signature and then put the cache back. I can live with myself now.

If I sat in the car while someone scrambled up a hill and they placed my signature on a cache, I couldn't live with it. I couldn't claim a find.

To each their own though.

Way to go guys! Great job on your accomplishment!

With over 500 caches, that is one heck of a trail...

I wonder if any morons will come along and hide 1,000 caches somewhere.

Something like that would be out of this world! :blink::P:P

Edited by whtwolfden

Oh dear, I forgot to add one of these guys :blink: so it would be clear that I was just being juvenile and silly. I don't argue the fact that they found more caches in a day than anyone else to date, or that it is a record. I suppose what I don't like is the words New World Record in big capital letters, as if geocaching was an Olympic event. It's a personal accomplishment for the folks involved (and I do say congrats on your accomplishment), but it isn't anything "official". There was no competition, no scorekeepers, no gold medals or grand prizes. Nothing wrong with shouting to the world, "Hey, look what I did!", but that's all it is.

I think I'm just digging myself in deeper, so I should hush up. I admit I'm just jealous. When geocaching first started, I get the feeling that it was an activity for the "elite"; that is, those who could afford GPS devices and were able to take long trips and hikes to find the few caches out there. I wouldn't have been able to be involved in it as it existed ten years ago. Now, it seems to be moving into a phase where only the elite again, those who are able to do extreme caching or power caching, can have the real adventures; while I have to "make do" with walking through a suburban park to pick up a micro or two. I enjoy it, but it isn't something I get to shout to the world about. I wish I could, just once, get to wave my flag and yell from the rooftops, "Hey, look what I did!"

Anyway, no hard feelings toward the Ventura Kids and their friends. I hope you had fun. :P

Every cache is an adventure, some more so than others. You (I hope) have fun finding every cache (I do).

If you want to share the fun you are having there are many ways.

There is a thread in this forum asking for favorite geocaching stories, there is the free online magazine The Online Geocacher which would love to publish your caching stories... you don't have to be competing for a world record for folks to find your story interesting. Share it with us! :P

So, we've established here that each person in the team does not have to hunt each cache and one sticker can be used for the whole team, so all you need is a bigger team to break this record in even less time. With a big enough team, I could start at dawn and be home in time for lunch! :laughing: Who's in?

Edited by EddieB606

Way to go guys! Great job on your accomplishment!

With over 500 caches, that is one heck of a trail...

I wonder if any morons will come along and hide 1,000 caches somewhere.

Something like that would be out of this world! :laughing::rolleyes::D

Wow...Preemptive name calling!! WooHoo.

You would need to know what he is talking about... look up events in Nevada... perhaps in June?

From the guidelines:

Congratulations. It's not the kind of thing I will ever do ... but each one has fun it's own way :laughing:

I'm holding a check in my hand that had the signature printed out with a laser printer. No one "signed" this check, yet I don't anticipate any problems cashing it. The sticker, with their Geocaching handle printed on it represents their signature, as it has for the last five years. It should not be an issue.

Don_J, probably I didn't explain myself correctly. I have nothing against stickers, I consider them a valid signature. I was only saying that you need to sign the logbook compared to people that says there is no rule that says you have to.

So, we've established here that each person in the team does not have to hunt each cache and one sticker can be used for the whole team, so all you need is a bigger team to break this record in even less time. With a big enough team, I could start at dawn and be home in time for lunch! :laughing: Who's in?

If you can do it with one vehicle, then more power to ya!

maybe this will help

in bold for easier reading

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

Edited by vagabond

Sorry - I am one of those rules based personalities. I would sign the log so I guess I had it in my head that the four cachers boasting their accomplishment would do the same. But, now that I think about it that would be one way to make up some time if you were trying to push yourself for 24 hours. I wonder if the other three even got out of the 4x4? I'd have to sign the log in order to look in the mirror. But, that is just the way I am since I view "signing the log" as a requirement for a find.

Hmmmmmmm, we are about 2.5 hours from wheels rolling to do the TOTG and associated trails. Can't wait for the adventure to begin. We will be initialing the logs rather than signing ... will that count. Then what about all of the nano and pico caches I only initialled. Are they null and void? Ohhhhh and all of my found virtuals and earth caches where there was no log to sign Have I violated the precepts>

Well final checks and we are on the asphalt for a 10.5 to 11 hour drive to join a growing band of cachers who have tackled this rather unique challenge. I am an old goat who might summon the grit and determination shown by the Ventura Kids. Got to score one or two for the over 60 crowd.

Cache on revel in the journey, take time to find the good surrounding even the lowliest Goober Cache ...

Geo Hugggggggzzzzzzzzzzzzz to all

Congratulations to the group hitting the record on the finds! DuckLee and I were out on the power trail this last weekend as well, likely right behind the record group at one point on the Whitehouse string. (We saw a white SUV with a fast moving group on the south end of the run.) We only did 205 on Saturday, 160+ on Sunday, restraining ourselves to more or less daylight hours. (We did cache into Saturday night to about 8:00 to make sure we crossed that 200 line.) Have to say that I cannot imagine doing 566 non stop as our run for personal bests was pretty frantic as it was.

Have to say that if I had found any one of these caches by itself, anywhere else, "lame" would have been the word for it. 99% of them are placed the same; there was two dominant cache container types; and most of the approaches were straight forward once you got the lay of the land. The joy of this trail was getting into the rhythm of moving from one cache to the next, figuring out the best approach, doing the dash and sign at high speed, moving onto the next, seeing how many you could crank out in an hour. It got to be quite a game. After a while you get pretty giddy. We got slap stick silly about fig newtons at one point. Don't EVEN mention hair dryers to me now. (Long story on both of those.)

I would compare the joy of this cache string like this. I drive an SUV to get to the mountain peaks for the views. If I was on an Autobahn, a Jaguar would be a whole lot more fun. Nothing wrong with either. This is not a sight seeing run, though the Mojave is one of the most beautiful landscapes around. This is a power trail setup to run up numbers. It does it well.

On another point mentioned above, I have nothing against stickers. We used them on our run. I've used them on group outings in the past. I think they make great sense as they conserve log space. However, I do have one point of annoyance on the record run. I hesitate to bring this up as it will likely unleash a firestorm, but it is still bugging me after two days back from the trip.

For this run, a lot of the record holder stickers seemed to be just slapped on without even removing the log, slide onto the outside of the rolled up sheet. One was on the logbook cover positioned over the MooseMob logo. A few were even on the outside of the container. As a cacher following after them, it was obvious that speed was the only objective. The "etiquette" of "signing" the log in the next open spot on the log was not followed. For folks that seem to stress the "rules" and boast of "no cheating" on their finds, this seemed to be a bit of ethics breach of the informal etiquette/rules/whatever-you-want-to-call-it of the caching culture.

Let me say that I love the fact that they went for the record and that it was hit on this trail. I don't challenge that accomplishment. I just wish they had been a little more clean about it on this one point.

Let the fire now rain down...

So if a large group of geocachers takes more than one vehicle, but signs the logs with a team name, are you going to delete their logs because they used more than one vehicle?

What I'm seeing here is a team claiming a world record, then stipulated what criteria must be used if someone else attempts to break it.

A few were even on the outside of the container.

Big bad breach of etiquette. But, as has been said, this trail is designed for high speed - high numbers caching. So maybe the CO doesn't care. That gives me an idea...maybe a team could do this trail at top speed and just scratch a quick hash mark on the container as they race by. No signatures or stickers needed.

I don't usually contribute to the forum firestorms, but I'm typing this at work, keeping an eye over my shoulder for the boss, so what the heck. Gotta live life on the edge somehow.

So if a large group of geocachers takes more than one vehicle, but signs the logs with a team name, are you going to delete their logs because they used more than one vehicle?

What I'm seeing here is a team claiming a world record, then stipulated what criteria must be used if someone else attempts to break it.

No stipulations from me...... :huh:

If you can somehow squeeze two vehicles up on those tiny little roads, take a couple of pics for us. :rolleyes:

We really struggled with turning around on some of them. A few of them left only 3 feet of space for moving around, and we certainly didn't want to back down those roads at night. We had to have one of us spot the 7 point turn, just to be certain we didn't drop our wheels over the unprotected edge of the cliff.

One thing I will say.... "Have fun out there, and be safe!" :D

I'm finding it entertaining just reading all the theories on why this isn't a record or why this group didn't actually "find" 566 caches because instead of signing the logs they used stickers, or they signed a team name in log, or that they weren't all out of the car at each cache, etc. etc. Some people have gotten so hung up on looking for "rules" as to what consitutes an official find or what constitutes an "official" record that they have lost sight of the concept of geocaching being a fun activity. Here a group of cachers decided it would be fun (at least for them) to see how many of the caches on the TOTG they could find in 24 hours. So they went to find as many as they could. From Cachepal's post it sounds like they were successul and had fun. Why are there so many people then who instead want to argue if they signed their names, or used a sticker? What's the motivation in trying to invent rules just to claim someone cheated and can't come and say in the forums "Hey we found 566 caches". Get a life people and stop with the pettiness. If you want to say that finding 566 caches in a day is not your personal idea of having fun, then say so. But saying the someone else couldn't have fun doing this is like saying that becuase you like strawberry ice cream someone else can't like chocolate :laughing: Or saying that because someone ate the ice cream straight out of the carton instead of using a dish they cheated and it doesn't count :rolleyes:

A few were even on the outside of the container.

Big bad breach of etiquette. But, as has been said, this trail is designed for high speed - high numbers caching. So maybe the CO doesn't care. That gives me an idea...maybe a team could do this trail at top speed and just scratch a quick hash mark on the container as they race by. No signatures or stickers needed.

It's like deja vu. But we were told to open a new topic to discuss stickers, signing the container, etc.

This is a back patting thread, so on topic, congrats you guys on your world record.

No stipulations from me...... :huh:

If you can somehow squeeze two vehicles up on those tiny little roads, take a couple of pics for us. :rolleyes:

We really struggled with turning around on some of them. A few of them left only 3 feet of space for moving around, and we certainly didn't want to back down those roads at night. We had to have one of us spot the 7 point turn, just to be certain we didn't drop our wheels over the unprotected edge of the cliff.

One thing I will say.... "Have fun out there, and be safe!" :D

I really sounds like that the roads, the terrain, and the area in general provides a scenic and interesting environment for geocaching. I can't help but wonder though if instead of ~600 caches along that 70 mile stretch of roads if the geocaching experience would be better or worse if only 60 caches, with a little more emphasis on quality vs. quantity were available to find.

Granted, geocachers would not have the opportunity to finds more caches in a day than I've found in the last two years, but with fewer geocaches there could still be a pretty outstanding geocaching experience.

I really sounds like that the roads, the terrain, and the area in general provides a scenic and interesting environment for geocaching. I can't help but wonder though if instead of ~600 caches along that 70 mile stretch of roads if the geocaching experience would be better or worse if only 60 caches, with a little more emphasis on quality vs. quantity were available to find.

The Mojave Desert has a wonderful raw quality to it. Very close by is the multi-day 4x4 Mojave Road in Mojave Natl Preserve ('D' is for Desert Phone Booth and virts, and ammo cans outside the boundary), that I, ckayaks, mjp303, etal recently ran. Death Valley is an hour north, with the Badwater virt and 4x4 run up Goler Wash to the infamous Charles Manson hideout. To the southeast, the final for the SoCal Delorme Challenge is pretty much a jeep run out of Searchlight NV. An hour west at Calico Hills, last weekend Fishpoet of Socal4x4geocachers.org placed ammo cans in the polychromic hills of that mining area.

The powerline trail is a great location as a power series. From a primary service road, cachers are navigating the correct spur to 1 of 4 towers, of the 4 Hoover Dam lines. On the knolls and ridges, it is possible to roll a vehicle off the shelf road, so driver ability and navigation sense are important. About 60% of it is linear, in my estimation, and the balance would be hindered with more than one vehicle in the caching group.

To the comment, "bigger team to break the record" ...because of the rough terrain and single track, only a one vehicle team would be efficient for TotG. I believe the VK stipulate 1 vehicle, because it addresses the most egregious rule-bend, 2 car leapfrog. In comparison, it's hardly a violation for the driver or shotgun seat navigator to claim a team find, 15 feet from the container. Tozainamboku has some good comments about our silly game or hobby or whatever it is.

Re stickers, I offer my apologies, but at 23 hours on the 5000 foot pass with gale winds, I placed a couple stickers on the outside of the logsheet roll. Of the 400 finds, I was good on a high percentage though.

Edited by bthomas

Snipped most of the rest to pull this out of context.

In comparison, it's hardly a violation for the driver or shotgun seat navigator to claim a team find, 15 feet from the container.

First of all, the caches were not logged using a single team name for all of those in the vehicle. Individual caches handles were used.

By contrast, I have on more than one occasion had my hands on a container, but was unable to retrieve it from it's location and thus couldn't sign the log and posted a DNF rather than a find. I have also been at the location of a rather significant virtual cache, didn't know at the time that there was a virtual cache located there and thus didn't satisfy the logging requirements (taking a photo of a specific object) and didn't not log it as a find. I'm sure that I've been within 15 feet of lots of other caches that I posted DNFs rather than finds on as well.

The title of this thread contains the phrase "566 caches found". If one looks at the profile of anyone with an account on geocaching.com it'll show the number of finds. How meaningful are these numbers when there seems to be such a disparity between personal definitions of what constitutes a find?

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

[Edit] Wow. Guess this is why this type of 24 hour effort quickly undergoes adverse reaction. I can't speak to the above stuck cache example, though I myself have logged similar DNF.

I can speak to power caching though, and that comment is off base in a power caching thread, with regard to common accepted practice. When 3 of us are hunting, the shotgun seat is 15 feet away marking tally and scrolling the GPS, someone says found it, and one person holds the opened container or ziplock while another inks or stickers, and the other says please ink me-- there's 4 finders at the cache. Everyone's seen the hide and opened logsheet, and doesn't matter if individual names, initials, or team names make it to paper.

And when we paddle a canoe 8 miles on a Sierra lake for a 5-star challenge, and the logsheet is not passed to the front of the canoe from the back where the number one cacher of the planet sits, hope [edit] that doesn't invalidate the event?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6f-52b52a67603c

My philosophy: It's the journey, not the destination.

For the June power cache run on the ET Highway near Area 51:

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of colitas rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

Edited by bthomas

For the June cache run on the ET Highway near Area 51:

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of colitas rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim