Get Serious,How do you expect to keep new people in the hobby

Renaissanceman1

It is a shame, I spent considerable time registering to get information , and I get a canned message

thanking me for joining the hobby as my only responce. The trick is to help someone. they are more apt to spend $ if they get help and a start in a new hobby. Sincerely a new Guy

Renaissanceman1

With all the help that's currently on the site; FAQs, Why, How, Where, and etc.., the Welcome Email I got was fine.

I did research before signing up and really didn't need anyone to hold my hand while learning how to do the hobby..

Edited by wkmccall

First of all... Welcome to the forums. :P

Pinned at the top of this forum you'll see "Read first! Geocaching frequently asked questions."

Then, have a read of "Getting started with geocaching."

The various Groundspeak forums are full of knowledgeable geocachers who are willing and able to answer further questions you may have, or clarify anything you don't understand.

You may like to do a search for any Event geocaches in your local area where you can meet geocachers in Real Life and find out what your local geocaching scene is like...

Come back and ask, or tell us what you were hoping to hear! :D

MrsB

You DO realize you're on the "getting started" forum, right ?

Between the FAQs , containing many pages of info and the thousands of folks to get more, what are you expecting ?

You're one of many "welcomed" to this fun hobby each day.

MOST find all info needed to play on the FAQ area.

A "personalized" step-by-step letter on how to geocache would probably be impossible, simply due to the huge number of GPSs out there. They don't all work the same.

i just started and i have to say it really isn't that hard to figure out. why should they have to send u anything? u should be thankful they welcomed u to the site. also if u are looking at the details then there are FAQs and other resources on and off the site and as mentioned before the forums are full of people willing to help. we really shouldn't expect anything extra from the people who help us participate in geocaching. ...oh and as far as spending money i don't get the feeling that that is what this is all about. Groundspeak needs money to support the site obviously, but they are hosting this site with free memberships and you dont have to buy anything so how can you come off with "they are more apt to spend $ if they get help and a start in a new hobby" when that's not what Groundspeak is pushing for. IMHO

Edited by nbailey17

When I signed up over in the Metal Detecting Forum, they sent me a new metal detector, along with all the instructions on how to use it. I also got a detailed map of the USA of where I could look for gold & silver. Lastly a weeks stay in Hawaii, with directions to what beaches were the best to detect for lost treasure on.

Hello, I am Groundspeak's self appointed greeter. Sorta like the one at Wally World except I don't get paid. Sorry I missed your membership. How can I make it up to you? Seriously, with what would you like help?

And just as a friendly warning, this game can take up a good bit of your time. You get to decide if it's worth it, but other than the cacheslaves that nobody talks about the vast majority decide that it is.

When I signed up over in the Metal Detecting Forum, they sent me a new metal detector, along with all the instructions on how to use it. I also got a detailed map of the USA of where I could look for gold & silver. Lastly a weeks stay in Hawaii, with directions to what beaches were the best to detect for lost treasure on.

You owe me a keyboard :P

It is a shame, I spent considerable time registering to get information , and I get a canned message

thanking me for joining the hobby as my only responce. The trick is to help someone. they are more apt to spend $ if they get help and a start in a new hobby. Sincerely a new Guy

Renaissanceman1

It's been a while since I've seen the registration process from a newbie's viewpoint. I'm sure there's some room for improvement.

Feel free to email Groundspeak directly at contact@geocaching.com and tell what you found lacking. Nothing wrong with some constructive criticism. No guarantees on getting much of a response.

I started on my own....had some good starts, some bad days, ruffled a few feathers in here (my apologies to jholly, I know you mean well) and may have to eat crow and join with a premium membership. Right now I'm in withdrawal because my GPS had to be sent back for repair and wife doesn't think I need another one.....go figure.

the heck with caching then, tell me about where to get on this metal detecting forum!!!!

To several posters here (you know who you are), this is the getting started forum and not a place for flip, glib or snarky responses when newcomers post. Thanks to those of you who posted helpful responses.

To the original poster, I'm sorry you were disappointed by the canned response from the website, but to be able to generate a live response for each of the hundreds of people who register daily would likely be very costly for the owners of this website.

As others pointed out, there is a wealth of information on this website. FAQs, info on finding and placing your first caches and of course and this getting started forum, where there are numerous veteran geocachers who are eager to answer any questions.

We all were novices once and we all received the canned e-mail when we registered and most of use found the available information on this website to be just what we needed to get started in the sport. Look around and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by briansnat

You have to sign up for Premium in order to get the REALLY good welcome stuff. I got a ride on a unicorn, an explanation from Stephen Hawkin as to what's actually going on at Area 51, a McDLT, a lifetime membership to the Illuminati and how do put this.... a hot blonde showed up and asked if that was a geocache in my pants or was I happy to see her.

And that was no micro, lemme tell ya....

My suggestion is that you might want to see if there is an event and or a group hike being mentioned in your local forum and also see if there is a local club. You will get help , you will meet some really nice people and you will get out more.

Personally, I have limited time in which to cache, so now I like to tie it into other activities, as in hiking and biking, yesterday we did a most pleasant bike caching thing, and the combination was a lot of fun. We are already thinking about other places and activities we would like to pursue. We rarely , anymore, just go out to go caching, we almost always have an ancillary goal, such as hiking to a location or biking. It works for us, it may work for you.

Edited by Packanack

I would be willing to venture a guess that most people learn about caching from going with someone or having someone near them that caches.

Not me. Just went out and did it. Read the forums and asked questions. Yeah- this place is pretty rough as the OP has already seen. You have to have a pretty thick skin on here.

I'm sorry that others weren't as kind as they could have been.

If you have any questions that aren't covered by the FAQ's feel free to ask or even PM me. I have learned a lot about caching from these forums. Lots of inspiration for devious hides too.

To several posters here (you know who you are), this is the getting started forum and not a place for flip, glib or snarky responses when newcomers post. Thanks to those of you who posted helpful responses.

To the original poster, I'm sorry you were disappointed by the canned response from the website, but to be able to generate a live response for each of the hundreds of people who register daily would likely be very costly for the owners of this website.

As others pointed out, there is a wealth of information on this website. FAQs, info on finding and placing your first caches and of course and this getting started forum, where there are numerous veteran geocachers who are eager to answer any questions.

We all were novices once and we all received the canned e-mail when we registered and most of use found the available information on this website to be just what we needed to get started in the sport. Look around and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hear that Flask.... No Snarking... :P

-HHH :D

I actually couldn't be happier with this site.

I'm new to Geocaching and found everything I needed to know and more. I knew nothing about Geocaching or the handheld GPSr (I used to call them "GPS") before coming here!

After much reseach here I purchased my 60CSx and love it. I wanted a unit that would be good for geocaching and hiking.

Anyway it amazes me that somebody would complain that they were not given a group hug when they joined.

I shouldn't be suprised though. I belong to a few motorcylce forums and they are loaded with complainers and cynics but the genuine good/helpful members overshadow them.

Oh yeah, welcome!

Steve

Yeah, I've been wondering...

I got the basic (free) membership and the intro said that I could see locations of caches with said free membership, but when I click on caches, so far, I've not been able to see any coordinates (they're grayed out and it says I need a premium membership to see them). I'm kinda bummed because I wanted to 'try before you buy' and see if it's my kind of thing, but I don't know how I can find caches without coordinates, so the free membership would seem fairly useless if I can't see them. What am I missing?

I've been reading through all the FAQs and i apologize if I'm repeating someone else's post, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks!

Jody

I started on my own....had some good starts, some bad days, ruffled a few feathers in here (my apologies to jholly, I know you mean well) and may have to eat crow and join with a premium membership. Right now I'm in withdrawal because my GPS had to be sent back for repair and wife doesn't think I need another one.....go figure.

I got the basic (free) membership and the intro said that I could see locations of caches with said free membership, but when I click on caches, so far, I've not been able to see any coordinates (they're grayed out and it says I need a premium membership to see them). I'm kinda bummed because I wanted to 'try before you buy' and see if it's my kind of thing, but I don't know how I can find caches without coordinates, so the free membership would seem fairly useless if I can't see them. What am I missing?

I've been reading through all the FAQs and i apologize if I'm repeating someone else's post, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks!

Jody

Have you signed into your free account and verified your email address? You should be able to see the coords then.

Edited by Knight2000

Then that's one good reason for premium membership besides supporting this site.

I browse the caches in the area I want to go to and have my Garmin Zumo (car/motorcycle) and the 60CSx connected via USB. I just click "send to GPS" and send the cache to both. Now the Zumo gives me driving directions and the 60CSx takes me to the cache.

Not to mention that you can create bookmark folders for caches and when browsing for caches those that you have already found will be marked with a red check.

Well worth the price of admission.

Steve

Edited by daddysbike

Renaissanceman1

It's been a while since I've seen the registration process from a newbie's viewpoint. I'm sure there's some room for improvement.

Feel free to email Groundspeak directly at contact@geocaching.com and tell what you found lacking. Nothing wrong with some constructive criticism. No guarantees on getting much of a response.

Agreed. Let them know so they can at least think about improvments.

There is much help available - including right here - so ask away - many of us are more than happy to help out!!

Welcome aboard!

i was not being snarky.

to the OP's belligerent inquiry about how we intend to keep all the new people, i respond that i am actually not interested in keeping ALL of the new people. i believe the sport is growing too fast for its own good and that people who are too frustrated by the "canned" registration response to stay around are maybe not a good match for the game.

i believe very firmly that the sort of player who needs more personal attention (and i'm not talking about people who need information and assistance), the sort of person who wants everything to be all easy and explicitly spelled out is the same sort of person who likes caches in lampposts and thinks it's a good idea to put a cache at every starbucks, dunkin' donuts, and walmart.

i am very much in favor of making things maybe not-so-simple as sort of a natural weeding out process and maybe the new players will be more naturally skewed toward the thoughtful placers of caches that maybe take some time and effort.

i have found the gc.com website to be plenty user-friendly, and not all that time-consuming. there is a great body of accumulated knowledge in the FAQ, which is not that hard to get to, and failing that, there are a bazillion people who leap forward and offer help when asked.

if all this is too "canned" or too difficult and time-consuming to keep some people in the game, tant mieux.

I happen to know that everyone who signs up for an account with Google gets a personal home visit from Eric Schmidt, who personally shows you how to use all of their fine products.

(Actually, I only got Sergey Brin, who apologised effusively. Quite right too. After all, I had just paid a total of $0.00 to use their services, which I consider to be a lot of money, especially now that the Internet has made other people's time essentially free.)

To the OP: your account says "Not Validated Member". Have you clicked on the link in the mail which you got, to make your account work fully?

Your account status says "Not validated". It could mean:

1. You haven't validated by following the instructions in the validation e-mail sent to you.

2. You never received that e-mail. Click on http://www.geocaching.com/v/ to have it re-sent.

3. You've validated, but the system is, well, stuff happens. Log out, then log back in.

Good luck.

Then that's one good reason for premium membership besides supporting this site.

Steve

I am all for encouraging people to become premium members, however I thoroughly despise sites that require registration and the first thing I see is a solicitation to sell me something. It's specially annoying when I've paid for a product, then have to register the product on the site and they try to sell me something else when all I want to do is obtain more information about the product that I already purchased. Makes me want to toss the original product I purchase and never do business with the company again.

I happen to know that everyone who signs up for an account with Google gets a personal home visit from Eric Schmidt, who personally shows you how to use all of their fine products.

(Actually, I only got Sergey Brin, who apologised effusively. Quite right too. After all, I had just paid a total of $0.00 to use their services, which I consider to be a lot of money, especially now that the Internet has made other people's time essentially free.)

To the OP: your account says "Not Validated Member". Have you clicked on the link in the mail which you got, to make your account work fully?

Shortly after Google launched their web site they had an offer for a free pair of "I Feel Lucky" boxer shorts. I submitted the form and receive a pair of white boxer shorts with the Google Logo and "I feel Lucky" below the logo. I wonder how much I could get for this rare item on ebay.

Shortly after Google launched their web site they had an offer for a free pair of "I Feel Lucky" boxer shorts. I submitted the form and receive a pair of white boxer shorts with the Google Logo and "I feel Lucky" below the logo. I wonder how much I could get for this rare item on ebay.

too much information - seriously........ :):D

:D

I believe the snarkiness some people may have exhibited is because the thread title and OP came across as snarky and confrontational. IMHO anyway.

I'm with you, seeetpea. As forums go, this is one of the most helpful I have seen, particularly in the Getting Started section. People usually save their snarkiness for the other areas, and bend over backwards to give the same answers over and over for all the newbies. Now if the OP wants to be a little more specific about what they need, perhaps he can get a serious answer.

Thanks!

Jody

Your profile indicates that your email address has not been validated.

Go here and validate and you should be good to go.

www.geocaching.com/v

Since I'm a newbie on this site, as well as to the world of geocaching in general, I'd like to say that I've been very pleased with everything on this site, from the FAQ's, to the forums!

My husband runs a car website. We're at 17898 members! (For a mainly mid-90's, low-end sports car!) & so I can say first hand that running a forum like this one is no picnic!! In fact, on our site, I ask him daily if we can start to administer IQ tests before we authorize new members!! (no, seriously... its that bad!). We used to simply allow anyone who registered to be a member, but now, with spam-bots, bitter ex'es (its a car site! some teenage girl stalked her ex-boyfriend all over the forums!), etc, we now have to manually approve each & every new member! We've talked about implementing a system like the premium memberships here... we just can't seem to figure out how to make it work for us!

Kudos to the mod's on Groundspeak! It's hard to keep the peace, remain diplomatic & not hit that ban button every time someone gets their knickers in a knot! :D

if all this is too "canned" or too difficult and time-consuming to keep some people in the game, tant mieux.

Now I had to go and look up tant mieux. Thanks Flask for the French Lesson. Chalked one off for learning something new today :D

ici on parle français.

or at least i used to, before brain damage wiped out my ability to speak foreign languages. it's not really foreign, though. the last EMT to work on me was a native french speaker. there are still many towns in vermont where they speak french, but it is the insular and ancient quebecois french found far out of the cities.

I am actually surprised the responses have been so civil when I consider the OP. "I am here now and you didn't bend over backwards to welcome me personally" and send me some coupons, so I am unhappy. In my experience the vast majority of sites I am interested in following do not send extremely personalized welcome notes, if any. Nor do I expect them to. A good FAQ is always a bonus, and an active forum is like Manna from Heaven

You owe me a keyboard :D

:) DITTO! That was funny.

Thanks!

Jody

Jody,

Just wondering, did any of the following work?

Your account status says "Not validated". It could mean:

1. You haven't validated by following the instructions in the validation e-mail sent to you.

2. You never received that e-mail. Click on http://www.geocaching.com/v/ to have it re-sent.

3. You've validated, but the system is, well, stuff happens. Log out, then log back in.

Good luck.

Edited by weathernowcast

Coming from someone who has administered over a forum with over 500,000 members in the past (a gaming website no less, imagine all the needy children!) I'd say that this site has provided more than enough information for any geocaching "newbie" or enthusiast. There is no customized welcome message but for a site like this that's almost impossible to do.

As many before me have said the FAQs provide a wealth of information and the community itself is more than willing to answer questions or provide tips/information to any newcomers.

Its all about the stainage, Elvis! :D

sounds like it's time for a new wife.

You have to sign up for Premium in order to get the REALLY good welcome stuff. I got a ride on a unicorn, an explanation from Stephen Hawkin as to what's actually going on at Area 51, a McDLT, a lifetime membership to the Illuminati and how do put this.... a hot blonde showed up and asked if that was a geocache in my pants or was I happy to see her.

And that was no micro, lemme tell ya....

:rolleyes::)

That, sir, is funny!

Renaissanceman1

Seriously? Is that all you got? I had a Groundspeak rep come over to my house, drop off a new GPSr, and show me how to use the site. Once I became a premium member, he now comes over to my house twice a week for 2 hours at a time and logs my finds.

You should give someone a call and see where your service fell through the cracks. The number is 1-888-XPECTALOT and choose extension WHINE. IF you don't get any response there try 1-888-SUCKITUP and extension BEAMAN

:):anibad::anibad:

Dude, seriously, what do you expect? Like others have said there are plenty of threads that are stickies that explain everything and if you don't see it, all you have to do is ask. Anyone here will be glad to help. Coming into the forums and acting like you are God's gift to Groundspeak forums is just putting yourself on a bad foot. And really from experience with online forums, that seems to be exactly what you are trying to do. Dare I say it is more than a bit trollish?

If you are here in a serious way, then I hope you stick around and enjoy the hobby. If your post is meant as I think you meant it, then I hope the attention you just got here fulfilled some little pathetic need in your life.

Take care and Happy Caching!

As someone new to the hobby I find this a great site to learn. Most of my questions where answered by doing a little searching. Even for this 66 year old it has been an easy trip so far. Put forth a little effort and you will have an easy time.

Seriously? Is that all you got? I had a Groundspeak rep come over to my house, drop off a new GPSr, and show me how to use the site. Once I became a premium member, he now comes over to my house twice a week for 2 hours at a time and logs my finds.

Same here, but I had to fire the rep because he would only write canned logs and I felt I was worth more than that. I DO miss him washing and waxing my geomobile, though.

Bruce

Um, you want to get into a hobby that involves finding things others have deliberately hidden, yet you cannot find the extremely conspicuously placed links to FAQs and other info on how to get started? Do you really think it's a right hobby for you? Perhaps something like knitting would be a better match? :laughing:

Edited by chephy