GeoWoodstock VIII

COWWS

It’s official! COWWS (Cachers of Washington’s Wet Side) will be hosting GeoWoodstock VIII, Washington's first Mega-Event, on July 3rd, 2010.

What is GeoWoodstock?

GeoWoodstock is an annual get-together of geocachers from all over the world. Over the last 7 years, it has grown into the world's largest geocaching-related event!

The COWWS will be presenting GeoWoodstock VIII on July 3rd, 2010 in Carnation, Washington at Remlinger Farms http://www.remlingerfarms.com It’s a picturesque location with plenty of room for vendors and activities.

Typically, GeoWoodstock has been held over Memorial weekend, but this year we opted for the 4th of July weekend. The main factor in making this decision was weather. Summer in the Pacific Northwest is a beautiful and glorious experience not to be missed! We also realize that a lot of geocachers will want to make the trek to the USA's last remaining Project A.P.E. cache (gotta get that elusive icon, right?) In May, that can sometimes still be a snow shoe hike. Unfortunately, the tunnel to the cache has been closed indefinitely, so it will require a hike around. We figure a nice summer hike is preferable to a possible winter-like hike.

Of course, we will be needing help presenting the best GeoWoodstock we possibly can and we'll be asking people to volunteer their time and talents. In the mean time, keep an eye on the cache page at http://coord.info/gc1qm7k for updated info!

I am very pleased that GW8 will be so close to us this time but out of curiosity - why not over Memorial Day Weekend?

I thought that was the usual time for GW. No? :(

Geowoodstock has always been set up to be either on Memorial day weekend or the 4th of July Weekend, and has been on both several times, go check if you like

And like they said above the pass to the last Ape cache in the US would be probably be snowed under in May, and its sooooooooo cool to walk in the tunnel, hope they get that back open

Joe

I am very pleased that GW8 will be so close to us this time but out of curiosity - why not over Memorial Day Weekend?

I thought that was the usual time for GW. No? :ph34r:

Hmmm...how about reading the first post before commenting? Sheesh.

Having a bad day Sax? :(

I thought that was the usual time for GW. No? :P

Hmmm...how about reading the first post before commenting? Sheesh.

Having a bad day Sax? :ph34r:

Geez - sorry. I had read the other thread that discussed GW8 yesterday and then posted to this thread without fully reading the first post. My humble apologies.

But I guess some people here never make those kind of mistakes. :(

My bad.

Thanks though to Joe for the kind reply.

Why did Robert Lipe announce yesterday that GeoWoodstock VIII was to be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado?

Ummm, that was JoGPS calling himself Robert Lipe on stage at GW7. He was funnin' the crowd about the event being in Colorado Springs because the actual location in the Emerald City was outta the bag prior to the official announcement. :(:ph34r::P

I heard the location and even the date days prior to the event and NOT from anyone who would be officially in the know.

I was able to find 10 different cache types (icons) Saturday. With a little pre-planning, a careful cacher should be able to get 11 next year including the Ape cache!

Well, assuming you haven't already found it.

Congrats to WA!

Ooops... MOOOOO!

Why did Robert Lipe announce yesterday that GeoWoodstock VIII was to be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado?

Ummm, that was JoGPS calling himself Robert Lipe on stage at GW7. He was funnin' the crowd about the event being in Colorado Springs because the actual location in the Emerald City was outta the bag prior to the official announcement. :(:ph34r::P

I heard the location and even the date days prior to the event and NOT from anyone who would be officially in the know.

That's OK, there's another big event near Colorado Springs over the 4th of July weekend every year. It may not be as big as GeoWoodstock, but we have plenty of fun anyway.

Even Sn :D:cool: gans has been there. B)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Washington is a great location and I hope that the tunnel is open and many people are able to add the APE icon to their profiles.

Of course its the same weekend as the Las Vegas Desert Classic professional darts tournament, so my choice is already made.

For those of you thinking about camping, Tolt Macdonald Park and Campground is located in Carnation, WA. They take reservations 1 year ahead of time, so if you want to reserve for the 2nd of July, you need to call on or after the 3rd of July 2009. To reserve, call 206-205-5434

http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks...ls/camping.aspx

The City of Carnation also has a 4th of July celebration. Here's what this years schedule is to give you an idea of what next year should be like.

http://www.carnation4th.org/events.htm#music

*Yurt Camping*

There are six yurts at Tolt, which come furnished with two double futons, a double/single bunk bed, night stand, heat, electricity, deck, and fire ring. One yurt is wheelchair accessible, with no surrounding deck. Each yurt sleeps up to seven people. All yurts are located on the west side of the park across the Snoqualmie River. These sites are walk-in olnly and require crossing the park's 500-foot suspension bridge (wheelbarrows can be borrowed from campground host).

$45.00 per night

$270.00 for a continuous seven-day stay

2 day minimum stay on weekends and 3 day minimum stay on holidays

*RV Camping*

Tolt has 16 individual pull-through utility campsites (water & electrical only), each with a picnic table and fire ring.

$30.00 per night

$180.00 for a continuous seven-day stay

*Tent Camping*

There are 22 individual tent sites, including two that feature a three-sided cabins. Each site includes a picnic table and fire ring. Eleven of the sites, including the two three-sided cabins, are located on west side of the park across the Snoqualmie River. These sites are walk-in only and require crossing the park’s 500-foot suspension bridge (wheelbarrows can be borrowed from campground host).

$20.00 per night

$120.00 for a continuous seven-day stay

Group Camping

The park features one large and one small group campsite. Both campsites are walk-in only and require crossing the Snoqualmie River on the park’s 500-foot suspension bridge (wheelbarrows can be borrowed from campground host).

Large Site

Includes a large covered shelter, picnic tables, and raised fire pit

Accommodates multiple tents and up to 60 people

$140 per night

Small Site

Includes A-frame covered amphitheatre with two fire pits at each end and picnic tables

Accommodates multiple tents and up to 40 people

$100 per night

If you are wanting a place to stay other then camping say Motel, Hotel Etc there are not many choices in Carnation I would get busy making a reservation now otherwise you may be out of a place to stay close to the event. That is if you are planning to go there for more then just the day. I found a place in Falls city 10 minutes away.

Scubasonic

Yeah, really disappointed about the tunnel being closed as I am planifning on doing the APE Cache this July. It would be great if it were opened again before GW8 so I would have a chance to do it again the "proper" way. Since this one is less than 1000km from home I'm hoping to see more cachers from my area make the trip. I want them to experience for themselves what I mean when I say "You only have to be at GeoWoodstock for a minute to discover there are people who take caching WAY too seriously." :blink:

Probably not. The state and their geologists are worried about about loose rocks falling from the 'roof of the cave' and hurting people.

Until the tunnel is fixed in some way, I'm pretty sure it's gonna stay closed.

Maybe if someone knows someone with a few million $'s for donating to the project it might happen sooner than later...anyone?...Hello?

Probably not. The state and their geologists are worried about about loose rocks falling from the 'roof of the cave' and hurting people.

Probably more accurately it is "the state and their lawyers". :D

Until the tunnel is fixed in some way, I'm pretty sure it's gonna stay closed.

Maybe if someone knows someone with a few million $'s for donating to the project it might happen sooner than later...anyone?...Hello?

Someone get in touch with Bill Gates or another Microsoft billionaire and I'm sure they cut easily cut a check for the $9million.

Been lookin' for a reason to hit "The Trifecta!" (Original Stash-Ape Cache-The Lily Pad)

Been there, done that, got the geocoin. (Did it before it was cool during the same trip in 2005.)

So, is Chick-Fil-A going to be a sponsor? :D:P

Might be a hard sell since we don't have a Chick-Fil-A up here.

You could alway start the first franchise up here...

GWVIII might be a great way to get it going...

Why does my browser say GW VII? :D

The VII forums and VIII forums are both on the Geowoodstock site. Currently, the website has the VII feel to it ;-)

The committee members for GeoWoodstock wanted to keep the GeoWoodstock.com live year round, to gather more information about hosting the next years event, it was very easy to tag it onto GW7, the feel and information will change, but the forms are up for GW8 six months early to help better plan and to get feed back from GW7 about what went wrong and what went right to also help plan better

In a while your browser will say GW8

Joe

Glad to see it on the left coast again! Can't wait! Now we have an excuse to visit relatives! :P

Yep, I know that feeling. When GWVI was in CA, we had to make a couple hour side trip to Reno to see wife's mother. Most of the time, though, visiting relatives is an excuse to cache (a different area) not the other way around! :P

We're definitely attending. There is also a small (at this point) group of cachers that are taking the Carnival seven day Alaska cruise leaving Seattle on the 6th. Check it out at Cruise to Alaska after GeoWoodstock VIII

The GeoWoodstock VIII webpage is up and registrations for the event are now open!

In changing the site over to next years event, we set-up a new forum section, so the link above about the cruise no longer works. You will find the cruise info on the home page now.

I'm really hoping to go this year. I had never heard of GW before a couple weeks ago, but it sounds amazing!

My dad grew up in Seattle, so thats another reason we're hoping to go. It's too bad that I'd have to miss the first week of my summer camp next year if i go... Still, I REALLY want to go!

Geocoin Midnight Madness will be on the evening of Geowoodstock:

Where: Downtown Redmond Mariott, 7401 164th Avenue NE, Redmond, WA 98052

Wouldn't miss it. Glad I was FTF on last year's event. :);)

Well if Snoogans is going to be there I will HAVE to attend. You don't get many chances to meet legends.cool cachers from other parts of the country/world. ;) Although it is like 1.5 miles from my house so I should consider some travel plans. :D