Stonehenge Cointest

paganfrog

OK, after my mother sent me a coin i already have, i decided not to keep it as a trading coin, as it was a freebie promotional coin to start with, and as much as i really wanted to complete the set, i decided it was not a big issue if that was never fulfilled. I also considered gifting the coin to someone, but i couldnt decide who to give it to as there are many generous people on this forums and only one coin to give.

so i decided to to make it into a cointest and let Lady Fortune decide who i should give the coin to.

the coin prize is a Garmin enjoy England "Stonehenge" coin.

P197_27_09_2008.jpg

the game play is to post your favourite personal photo of an ancient site please, only the posts with a photograph will be entered into a number generator.

please do not enter this cointest if you already have any of the coins from the 5 coin set of Enjoy England coins.

only one post per person.

i will end the cointest monday evening with an hours pre-warning.

so let the cointest begin.

:rolleyes:

Oddly enough, this is a rock-based site as well. But hese rocks were set by no man's hand - Thunder Rocks in Allegany State Park, NY was caused by erosion and lack of glacial action. Known by the Seneca Indians long before the Europeans came to North America, it was both a gathering place as well as a place of the gods. There is an Earthcache at this site as well.(GC14TX5)

thunder5.jpg

This formation is known as Eagle's Rock.

Edited by ATMouse

I would love that coin!! Back in March of 06, the other yooper and I were very new to caching, a friend and I went on a trip to England with our local High School French Club. Being new to caching, with a friend and High School students I didn't even take the gps with me....boy I wish I had!! Stonehenge was an optional trip I took, it was great!

bf78181a-06cb-468b-9bc7-07eb00b395c1.jpg

I don't have any pictures of an ancient site here on Earth, but I do have a picture

that I took of the moon through my telescope. The moon is over 4 billion years old, so I guess that

could be considered ancient.

This is an image of the moon just slighly before the last quarter phase. You can see

many of the craters and the terminator line (line between light and darkness)

DSCN0051.jpg

Kaniakapupu-013.jpg

This photo was taken at a place called "Kaniakapupu", which is the only remaining structure associated with Kamehameha III.

The ruins of Kaniakapupu lie in Luakaha, the forested upper portion of Nu‘uanu just north of Honolulu, Hawaii. It served as the summer retreat of Kamehameha III. Kani-a-ka-pupu ("the singing of the land shell") is considered by some to be the most important site in all Nu‘uanu and was built in the late 1830s.

What is most remarkable about this place location is that not many folks know of its existence so it is totally undeveloped.

For more info about this site, please following the URL: http://www.pacificworlds.com/nuuanu/native/native5.cfm

Edited by Geocaching-Geckos

these are some very very nice pictures you are showing us, friends. i am very glad i stated that the winner will be randomly chosen by a number generator, as i would never be able to make a firm choice, they are all such beautiful pictures. makes me want to come and visit them if i could afford to do so. :rolleyes:

theres still plenty of time for more participants to come and join in.

I think this will qualify as a "personal photo of an ancient site". :rolleyes:

We were just visisting my only living grandma at a nursing home yesterday!

We try to get there as much as we can. She loves seeing the grandkids and

looking at our photo albums. The picture is of myself, my youngest daughter,

and my grandma!

f4c5b602-d910-4c6d-b328-cad9beb4d4cc.jpg

since i was a little girl my wish was to visit iceland someday and in 2006 my dream come treu :rolleyes:

Iceland lies on the crack line between Eurazische the plate and the North Atlantic plate and when i was in iceland i visit the crack line and for me it was the most impressive place that i ever visit of my live.

so my favorite picture is my photo of the crack line of the Eurazische and the North Atlantic plate.

IMG_1190.jpg

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Ancient Earth structures.

This is a natuarly formed "Flower Pot" from Flower POt Island just off the coast of Tobermory in Ontario Canada. Over eons, the weaker layers of sedimentary rock erroded and dissolved causing the Flower POts to remain behind.

Find out more here: Flower Pot Island, Tobermory Ontario Canada

Tobermory95s.jpg

Another ancient earth entity is called a Kettle. Found at only two locations in North America. Kettle Point Ontario is an Indian Reserve and on it is found the "Kettles" Kettles are usually round balls of crystalized shale rock that form around a chunk of ancient bone.

The Kettles are protected by law and are known as growing rocks.

The shale layer which surfaces here in ontario and only one other place in the US, mixes with the water to disolve and form a mineral mud solution. This solution will attach it self to a chunk of bone or similar object and start to crystalize. The amount of pressure casued by this growth forces other layers around the growing Kettle out of the way. Usually kettles come in the form of spheres or domed shaped blobs. The sections underwater continue to grow, while exposed sections stop. Some of the shale layers can be seen on the beach, where you can see kettles of various sizes before they stopped growing after the water levels dropped.

Find Info on Kettles here: Kettle Formation

kettle1.jpg

kettle2.jpg

kettle3.jpg

kettle4.jpg

Edited by lordzogat

ok great idea for a cointest - thx love all the photos!

rockart1.jpg

this is my favourite ancient site! It is a rockart engraving site - the aboriginal tribes around Sydney were responsible for them but european settlement wiped them out so no one really knows their significance- some people say it is a star map of the milky way so it inspired my design for the 2008 australia geocoin.

Latitude 33.64365° S

Longitude 151.26398° E

below is a way better picture!

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rnorris/Sy...lvina/index.htm

im totally loving the pictures you guys are showing. some of the photos are of places that arent very well known from around the world and i love to see photos and learn about them.

i wish i could visit some of these areas, but i would have to win the lottery first.

keep the photos coming guys you have untill tomorrow evening to play.

Oh! that is a great cointest, but I have a big problem now! :P

I live in Greece, and there are so many ancient and historical places that I can not deside what to show!!!! :P

Just imagine that....I am working in an archeological site, one of the most famous in Greece!!! I am talking about the Palace of the Grand Master, of the Knights of st. John!!!

Except that, I live very close to the temple of Apollo, the ancient stadium and the small theatre (and some smaller temples), of the ancient city of Rhodes!!!!

Well....I post some photos of my own, and some that do not belong to me, just to show you where I work! :rolleyes: I hope that is ok! :)

Here is me, in Leros island, in 1991!!! don't laugh!!! :D

the castle is the castle of Leros, a medieval one from the Knight period! some parts are from the Byzantine period, like the church inside!

0001.jpg

Here is my father (he helps me many times when I am droping GC! I can say he is unofficially a geocacher! :huh: ), in Lindos acropolis in 1980!

0002.jpg

Here is the temple of Apollo near my house! Ok...what is left! :D

montesmithApollotemple.jpg

Now, here is the entrance of the palace I work!!! It is an old photo!!

RhodesgrandmasterspalaceStJohnknigh.jpg

And here is a panoramic view, so you can see the palace! :o

img_6370r.jpg

I wish I could show you the medieval city with in the walls! It is so beautiful and unique!!! It is a protected site from Unesco!!! the palace is inside the city too!

Finally....this shows some symbols of my island!!! the fort of St. Nikolaos (it is also a lighthouse), and the colomns with the deers (one of the symbols of Rhodes, and a rare deer called DAMA DAMA).

Accodring to legents, this is the place where Colossus was standing! that is wrong of course, but...that is an other story!!! :)

Rodosmadraki.jpg

Wow, everyone has awesome pictures! Thought I'd share one of mine.

PictureFromSweden94.jpg

This picture was taken in Stortorget in Gamla Stan, Stockholm, Sweden, when I was visiting my grandparents exactly one year ago. Gamla Stan is the old town of Stockholm, and dates back to the 13th century. That is me on the far left, my brothers and sister in the middle, my mom on the right, and my dad is taking the picture. Thanks for the fun cointest!

EDIT: Image wasn't displaying properly

Edited by xboxcrazy33

just a recap of the game play

the game play is to post your favourite personal photo of an ancient site please, only the posts with a photograph will be entered into a number generator.

please do not enter this cointest if you already have any of the coins from the 5 coin set of Enjoy England coins.

only one post per person.

i will end the cointest monday evening with an hours pre-warning.

Edited by paganfrog

041be391-5f75-4329-89d4-43c46eb86dc1.jpg

This is the white rock from Whiterock, BC...

I hope I remember right: The original white rock showed ships where the city was, it´s been sitting on the shore a long time until it was erroded... Then they could not find another white rock to put there, so they took another normal rock and painte it white :ph34r: It really is, I could see it when I was there... :blink::):P

My husband and I were addicted to cruising before we had our son. We haven't been on a cruise in a few years but our favourite one BY FAR was to beautiful Alaska. We saw such breathtaking things we can't wait to go again. My favourite spots were:

Carcross Desert

This is known as the smallest desert in the world. Originally covered by a large glacier, it is now a sandy expanse left by the settlement from the retreating glacier. The winds keep the sand constantly shifting so very little vegetation grows here.

150913.jpg

Emerald Lake

The beautiful colour is from blue-green light waves reflecting off the bottom layer of the lake called "marl" (I think)

145811.jpg

The Glaciers (these are views from the ship)

We were lucky enough to see a small bit of glacier break off and fall into Glacier Bay (also known as calving). That was very exciting and we were able to catch it on video too!

114718.jpg

135235.jpg

Totem Pole Sites in Ketchikan

175105.jpg

Edited to get the images to display correctly...I don't post pictures very often so I always forget how!

Edited by ELTADA

Here's a picture of a hunebed in the province of Drenthe, Netherlands. These structures date back over 5000 years, and nobody quite knows what they were used for. Some of the stones weigh over 25 tonnes!

img_3443.jpg

The day we visited this one, a bunch of pagans had covered it in pumpkins and danced around it at intervals. :ph34r:

Emerald Lake

The beautiful colour is from blue-green light waves reflecting off the bottom layer of the lake called "marl" (I think)

145811.jpg

The Glaciers (these are views from the ship)

We were lucky enough to see a small bit of glacier break off and fall into Glacier Bay (also known as calving). That was very exciting and we were able to catch it on video too!

114718.jpg

135235.jpg

Edited to get the images to display correctly...I don't post pictures very often so I always forget how!

WAUWIE WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE IS THIS I WISH I WAS THERE TO :ph34r:

Me in May at Doane Rock in Massachusetts...

Doane Rock is said to be one of the largest glacial rocks in southern New England.

Doane Rock is the largest exposed glacial boulder on Cape Cod. The rock and glacial forces that moved it are explained in an on-site wayside exhibit panel. Doane Rock protrudes above the otherwise level ground surface of the Eastham plain. This glacial boulder attests to the massive scale of the glacial ice sheets that covered Cape Cod some 18,000 years ago. Boulders of varying sizes were transported from their original location as the great ice sheet, sometimes up to two miles thick, crept slowly southward.

DoaneRock.jpg

==================

107 million year old dinosaur prints:

P9116620.jpg

P9116623.jpg

===================

Maybe not ancient but a bit old, LOL:

P3070145.jpg

=============

"Fossilized Sand Dunes"

The main features of the Checkerboard Mesa are the generally perpendicular lines in the cliffs of the mesa. The vertical lines are shallow fractures likely resulting in repeated freezing and thawing of the rock surface. The roughly horizontal lines are the result of different rates of weathering along layers of coarser sand in the wind-blown (eolian) cross-beds of the Navajo Sandstone.

Cross-beds are formed by layers of sand grains as they build up into a dune then collapse. Wind piles sand up the gentle windward side of a dune. When the dune becomes too steep to support itself, it collapses creating the angled layers. This process also slowly inches the dune in the direction of the wind.

PB107254.jpg

you know what i like best about photo cointests? when the poster is part of the image! i love seeing what people look like. i know i would recognize some folks walking down the street. or at least at an event. :-)

very groovy pics! the dinosaurs walked on the sides of the rocks and maybe even upside down. now who would have thunk that!? :ph34r:

lara

you know what i like best about photo cointests? when the poster is part of the image! i love seeing what people look like. i know i would recognize some folks walking down the street. or at least at an event. :-)

very groovy pics! the dinosaurs walked on the sides of the rocks and maybe even upside down. now who would have thunk that!? :ph34r:

lara

:blink: if I remember correctly, the dinos walked near a creek bed. Later, much later :) lol, the sediment/rock below eroded and left a view of the tracks from beneath :P

I know what you mean about photos of other cachers... I rarely have any of me. I'm caching alone 99% of the time and only take photos of myself when required for a virtual cache. :D

my desert is full of ancient and sacred sites. this is just one of them. inscription canyon.

773747505_b001eb40e5_o.jpg

Hello Lara!! WOW! beautiful petroglyphs!!! You are so lucky!!!

Can I ask you something? Are they just like that, alone in the desert? I mean, they are not protected, or they are not in a closed area.... someone may take them, bandalize them.... I had seen a photo once, with bandalized petroglyphs and I felt so bad!!!! I hope there is a law protecting them too, right??

Ta Prohm ~ one of the temples at Angkor Wat and is where Tomb Raider was filmed, with Angelina Jolie starring as Lara Croft. There was a cache about a mile away. :)

e5c8aa28-95ac-41d8-a1bb-a4b119417601.jpg

d8d36583-cca6-455e-aafa-269381e4158d.jpg

c55a013a-43da-4849-9344-41d3056c409f.jpg

d006919f-2d89-41b9-8939-171aa104f824.jpg

And Angkor Wat at Sunset:

381c915d-082b-4342-9dcf-53ae6e6bcbab.jpg

WOW!!!!! I thought that the temple was fake, made only for the movie!!! I couldn't believe that the trees were like that huging the ruins etc!!!

I know that it is in Cambodia, and the temple is on many banknotes (btw, they have beautiful notes!!! :D )

But I didn't know that is was like that!!! Amazing!!!

:D contratulations Tanya!!!! :D You won a beautiful coin!!!! :D

Thank you My scotish friend for this cointest!!! It was really great!!! I saw pictures from beautiful, ancient and Historical places!!!

and i was amazed at the wonderful ancient places so close to where you live. but then, i guess that is to be expected in greece, yes?

congrats and drats. :)

rsg

:D contratulations Tanya!!!! :D You won a beautiful coin!!!! :)

Thank you My scotish friend for this cointest!!! It was really great!!! I saw pictures from beautiful, ancient and Historical places!!!

and i was amazed at the wonderful ancient places so close to where you live. but then, i guess that is to be expected in greece, yes?

congrats and drats. :D

rsg

:o Ancient Acropolis of Rhodes is a beautiful place with lots of geen and ruins!! :o Well...where ever you go in Greece, you will see ancient, byzantine, medieval....things, buildings, castles, temples.... Even in the top of mountains!!!!

Just to have an other view of the ancient stadium in the ancient acropolis of Rhodes I have a special photo for you my friend!!! It is not my photo!!! the stadioum is from the 2nd century or the 3rd century BC!!!

Let the moonlight guide you in our ancient history.... :)

rhodes_guide_14_120_full.jpg