What kind of gps do you use?

I am looking at the Delorme gps, it runs around $420 and has many neat maping options and such that would be very beneficial in geocaching. Our gps now is an antique so I need some help in finding the right one for us. I definitely want one that is able to download maps, and one that is not too crazy expensive. What type do you have, how has it been helpful, userfriendly, and what would you change about it? Also what price range is it? Any info would be helpful, I don't want to buy this Delorme and regret it, thank you!

I'll list mine in the order I got them:

Garmin Legend: 2001 - nice unit with some mapping capabilities but now showing its age. B&W screen, low memory and batteries last about 12 hours. I paid $260 but I've seen them for about $120 these days.

Garmin Rino 120: 2003 - Similar to above unit but with FRS and GMRS radio and position reporting - I thought it would be cool but the radios do not perform well in real world caching. I still kind of like them - bought a pair for $480. Now they can be had for about $140 each if you look around. Serial interface, B&W screen some mapping memory. Not the best little unit around.

Garmin 60C: 2004 - This is a very nice unit I still frequently use - the upgaded 60CSx is considered by many to be the best Geocaching unit available. The 60C is discontinued I paid about $400 for it. The newer model has expandable memory, color screen, USB, high senitivity, compass, barometer - nice units - can be had for about $325. Add another $100 for the nice mapping tools from Garmin.

Garmin Venture Cx: early 2007 - I fell in love with this unit instantly. Nice handheld form factor, rugged, Geocaching mode, expandable memory, color, USB, good battery life, bright yellow color so you can find it if you set it down in tall grass, etc. I paid just $180 and added the $100 city navigator maps and for $18 a 2GB memory card. Performs well under most conditions. I've seen these for about $150 recently.

Garmin Legend HCx: Just got this in late November, Best unit I have owned. Much like the Venture above except adds a faster processor and high sensitivity reciever. Too bad it is a gray-blue color. Paid $205 for it. Again add the mapping software for just $100 more.

Let me follow StarBrand's lead and list mine in the order I got them:

Garmin Vista: December 2004 - I found this unit on eBay in a package deal with the Topo maps and Roads and Recreation maps. I think I paid about $230 for the package deal. I liked this GPS unit, but once I saw how efficient the auto-routing feature was, I upgraded. I sold this unit on eBay for about $150.

Garmin Vista C: August 2005 -- I bought this unit from an online merchant, paying about $240. Then, I bought the City Select maps in a combo package with the cigarette-lighter adapter and beanbag auto-mount in a package deal for about $140.

Garmin Legend C: May 2006 -- I bought this GPSr on eBay to use as a backup unit.

Garmin Vista HCx: October 2007 -- I upgraded to this unit to take advantage of its ability to hold more maps and 1000 waypoints. To pay for it, I sold the Legend C. I have kept the Vista C for a backup unit, just in case something goes wrong with the Vista HCx, or if someone else needs a GPS unit.

Still new to this so I can't really list the pros and cons but I use a magellan meridian gold, I know that I seem to be in the minority on here that uses a magellan but I like it, but then again I've only had it since Christmas and still learning.

I started with an ancient Magellan 315 (bought for mountain climbing). That unit was JUNK IMHO.

Bought a Garmin Etrex Yellow simply because we couldn't afford more and this was recommended by a friend.

Bought a Magellan 500LE....LOVED that unit!! Hello to the REAL world of GPS signal and features!! Unfortunately, that unit was "borrowed" by someone needing it more than I (and if I ever find that "person", I'll be taking my unit back)!

NOW, I use a Garmin Legend!! This was a GIFT from a very caring soul who saw our problem and lended a HUGE hand!! THANK-YOU Maldar...and all of you who snuck around behind my back to make this happen...you sneaky sneaky GREAT people!!

IF I ever get back on my feet enough to buy a new Maggie, I'll look into the Tritons, but this unit will ALWAYS stay with us! My son will be more than happy to use it if I ever do replace!!

Magellan eXplorist 400. Although this was the first GPSr I've owned, I have been using various makes and models at work for years (see the "what else do you use your GPS for" thread). I found out about geocaching, and told my S/O I wanted one for Christmas. She said she'd pay for it, I had to find it. Found this "Ultimate Value Pack" on eBay (eXplorist 400, cable, charger, carrying case, 256 MB SD card, Mapsend software with the Geocache Manager, and Mapsend Topo 3D software), won it for $101.25! It was never used, must have been an unwanted Christmas or birthday present or something.

Pros: SD card lets you have just about unlimited storage for maps, GPX files, etc.; Built-in geocaching functions; intuative and easy to use interface; very good sat reception, even in the woods; rechargable lithium-ion battery; good Topo maps, which also include very detailed street maps.

Cons: screen resolution could be better; Grayscale display; quirky USB cable connection, (although I'm sure it makes it much more waterproof than a standard mini USB port).

All in all, for $115 delivered, I couldn't be happier! :anicute:

Edited by geowizerd

We are still using the blue Garmin Etrex Legends. We have two of them, and will not give up on them until they die. We lock onto the goto feature, and follow the arrow to within 5 feet of most caches. :anicute: They may be outdated, serial connected and generally frowned upon by those with more spare pocket change than us, but they are functional and highly accurate enough for 90% of the rural caches we find.

Right now I own:

eTrex Vista

Pros: compact, lightweight

Cons: sensitive to position, no autorouting, limited map memory

Geko 201

Pros: really small and easy to use

Cons: no mapping

Magellan Meridian Gold

Pros: File system for waypoints. Pretty good reception. Expandable memory

Cons:Clunky user interface, slingshot effect sends you past your target, kind of big, don't like the way map segments are selected, nor the 4 segment limit.

Garmin 60CS

Pros: Color screen, nice user interface, autorouting

Cons: Reception could be better. Limited to 54 megs, kind of big

Garmin 60CSX

Pros: Color screen, user interface, outstanding reception, expandable memory

Cons: Why POIs? Why not waypoints? Kind of big.

Magellan Roadmate (unsure of model #)

pros: Nice dashboard suction mount

Cons: It stinks. Reception, mapping software, you name it.

Edited by briansnat

If I had $420 to spend on a GPS I would get a little more cache and wait until the end of February and buy a new Garmin Colorado, all the cool mapping abilities plus paperless caching plus the ability to use it for Wherigo.

http://www.Wherigo.com/garmin/default.aspx

I just saw the Garmin Colorado and all I can say is <little boy jumping up and down voice> I WANT IT!!!! I WANT IT!!!!.... THAT'S SO COOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! PLEASE MOM!!!! PLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!! </little boy jumping up and down voice>

But for now I'll have to stick with my Garmin GPSMap 60CSX. Great GPSr all around.

KK,

For geocaching and outdoor use, the DeLorme PN-20 will do all that you might ask of it.

OTOH, there have some that have been less that 100% satisfied with that unit. These are folks who didn't understand what they were buying. When they use it driving around in their car looking for a Big Mac and a Slurpy and it does not perform as would a Tom Tom, they are disappointed.

Anyway, I gotta' get out of here before the rains come and find some caches. :P

Edited by CowboyPapa

my first gps was a garmin map60, bought new. i used, and use it with the handle bar mount on my mnt. bike. it works very well!!

my 2nd gps is the garmin map60c, bought on ebay for a song.

a couple of my buddies use lorwrance(?) and megllen(?), they seem to be more complicated than my garmin. anyway that/s what i use.

Peace,

Joboo

Beware of asking the "what do you use" question...it frequently leads to information overload.

Delorme PN-20

Pros: Editable hi quality vector maps; satellite & aerial imagery, USGS topo quads available. Delorme maps are the best--despite the Colorado's hardware and firmware advances, it looks like the maps for the PN-20 are still better. Takes all sorts of batteries...alkelines, NiMH, Li-Ion. Delorme staff very responsive to user suggestions.

Cons: Autorouting engine is weak (expected firmware upgrade may improve this), smallish screen. Would benefit from a faster processor. This is the first Delorme handheld GPS, so they have had to shake out the bugs. This takes a little patience, but they have been doing so.

Ask about any specific concerns you have and the PN-20 users will try to let you know how it fares on those counts.

Oh, and maybe the best pro for you: 30 day no-questions-asked return policy. If you find regret, you can limit it to a $10 shipping charge to send it back.

My no regrets so far setup is a Nuvi 650 for navigation to the cache and a Garmin Etrex with the high sensitivity receiver for on-foot travel. The Nuvi is handy in that it can accept a ton of custom POI's with some room for some text clues and I can upload up to 500 points into the Etrex. The new Colorado is tempting, but to be honest, it doesn't actually do anything that will improve over what I have. At least that's what I am telling myself as it is definately a cool toy.

Paul

August 2004 Garmin eTrex Legend. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen and had no regrets buying it.

November 2005 Garmin eTrex Vista C Bought it for the autorouting. Had it replaced by Garmin twice, but now it works like new. I had no regrets buying this one.

December 2006 Garmin 60CSx Had to have the better chipset and the ability to load maps of the entire country and never have to deal with maps again. I had no regrets buying this one either.

I still have all 3 of them, they all look and work like new and I think it's fair to say that I will be a Garminite for life.

I use a Meridian Color.

As I have often said "Magellan should have just updated these units with a better screen and a few firmware tweaks". I have been spoilt by this unit.

I was looking at a PN-20 but the lack of maps where I live kinda killed it for me.

I was looking at the Tritons but after checking out the reviews in the GC forums I canned that idea.

Then Garmin came along with their Colorado, so now I really want one of those. I think my mind is made up.

I have been using a Garmin GPS 72 since I began geocaching. I bought it the very day I discovered geocaching.com. I have been feeling limited by it the last 2 years, and I will (for absolutely sure) be buying a new Garmin etrex Legend HCx before this spring (along with the Tropo maps and a memory card).

The GPS 72 is really a marine unit, b/w display, no mapping, and has severe problems holding a signals in the summer and early autumn under even the canopy of a single tree. It was a relief when the leaves dropped this autumn and I could trust my position again.

I want to stick with partly Garmin because I really like the Garmin Communicator plug-in that was added to geocaching.com this last year. It has made preparing for my cache excursions so much easier and quicker.

I got a forerunner 305 for christmas and love it for long runs. I only found about geocaching through my nifty new toy. I enjoy geocaching and see myself going out alot more to do it. I have no other comparison. It works for me but sometimes it goes a little crazy on me when I get within 10 feet. Is that normal?

I got a forerunner 305 for christmas and love it for long runs. I only found about geocaching through my nifty new toy. I enjoy geocaching and see myself going out alot more to do it. I have no other comparison. It works for me but sometimes it goes a little crazy on me when I get within 10 feet. Is that normal?

I know a few folks who use their forerunners to cache, you are welcome to come here to ask

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/forumdisp...prune=&f=34

Tell em I sent you :rolleyes:

I bought a VistaCX in April 07.... the 500 waypoint limit is a problem where I live (Long Island has LOTS more in my 25 mile radius hunts) so I just got the Vista HCX and sold my Vista CX to someone on the for sale forum here.

LOVE it, only con I can see would be nice if you could charge it through USB cable.

Those Colorado's look great but I am not going to spend that kind of $$$. It would be nice to not have to use a Palm AND the unit though.

Garmin ETrex Legend. It is in the process of dying whenever I change the batteries and the rubber grip ont he outside is coming off. On the positive note, I am a poor college student who got it for $80 with discounts and coupons. I dont really car about the accuracy because, at most cache sites, there is so much inaccuracy from both the hider and the seeker that you get close enough to see some obvious places. I know other will disagree, but It gets me into the general area which is close enough for government work (if not closer).

Early 90s we started off with the Lowrance/Eagle Accu-Nav. It received a grand total of 5 satellites and had no mapping capabilities. We then upgraded to the Magellan Meridian Platinum in 2002/3. We added a second Platinum about 2004, then last year gave away the 1st Platinum to a friend and bought the Meridian Gold.

Pros: Accuracy!!! Compared the unit with survey grade coordinate adjusted benchmarks...It is not Unusual to have the units read 2-3 feet to go when it is sitting on the benchmark! Most of the time it is under 7 feet to go. They hold their satellite lock even in the Nat'l Forest out here. Never had the So-Called "sling-shot" effect.

The SD card is a major factor for staying with the Meridians.

Don't auto-route so I don't know if it is any good for that, since I have no problem reading maps, never felt the need to have something tell me where to go. :anicute:

I like the size of the unit, which is why I never bought a Garmin, they're just to little for my hands.

Cons: The only real complaint is where the lanyard connects to the unit.

Don't plan on upgrading at this time, just haven't seen anything that has the features I use the most at a price I'm willing to pay.

John

Got my DeLorme GPS PN-20 a couple days ago and have no complaints so far.

Amazon.com $289.00 w/Topo USA 7, 1 gig memory card, card reader, and $100 voucher for maps etc..

This is my first gps so I really have nothing to compare it to but from what i have seen it is a good unit.

Download cache .locs from geocaching.com and load it on your pn-20 along with the provided maps and you are out looking for caches! We found 3 today and 1 yesterday.

Autorouting seems to work fine and we drove straight to the first cache (GC11GRM) Trolls Toy Box! Very Cool!

DLMR

Edited by DLMR

First unit bought new in 95 a Garmin GPS45 still have it and it works great

then picked up a used Eagle Journey in 2002 , got it for the mapping wasn't impressed

did my homework and in the fall of 06 picked up a

new Lowrance HUNT... VERY PLEASED with unit and mapping...

summer of 07 found a used Garmin ETREX Summit b/w got it for pocket change while

garbage sailing use it for a lender unit when someone forgets theirs.

Mike

I'll list mine like SB did in the order I got them:

Garmin Legend: 2002 - nice unit with some mapping capabilities but now showing its age. B&W screen, low memory but enough for caching around San Diego. I paid $200.

Garmin 60CS: 2004 - This is a very nice unit I still use. I paid about $350 for it. The only thing the newer 60csx has that I want is the high sensitivity Sirf III chip. My 60CS has a color screen, electronic compasss, barometer (which I never use), and USB. It has plenty of memory to store what I need, which are maps of most of SoCal and 1000 caches.

Future: ??? I'm interested in the Garmin Colorado but with two kids in college, I can easily get by with my 60CS. :grin:

2001 - Etrex yellow - still works well but spotty reception

2003 - Etrex Legend - still works but requires the Garmin whack from time to time. This unit served me well on bicycle tours and has been dropped several times.

2005 - Etrex Legend Cx - my most used unit but showing it's age and will often short out when pressing buttons, I've had to superglue the rubber around the unit.

2006 - Explorist 100 - good reception, got it for $49. No way to connect to computer and very limited data fields. It sits in the trunk of my car.

2007 - Etrex H - great reception and worked great.... but returned it because I really didn't need another unit. YOu have to have a serial cable from Garmin to communicate with your computer.

2008 - Triton 300 - Christmas gift. outstanding reception and can used for geocaching if you only enter a few waypoints at a time. But this unit and it's software has so many bugs, it's mostly a paperweight right now. I would not recommend anyone buying this unit at this time unless Magellan works out the major bugs in it.

Edited by gpsblake

I'll list mine like SB did in the order I got them:

Garmin Legend: 2002 - nice unit with some mapping capabilities but now showing its age. B&W screen, low memory but enough for caching around San Diego. I paid $200.

Garmin 60CS: 2004 - This is a very nice unit I still use. I paid about $350 for it. The only thing the newer 60csx has that I want is the high sensitivity Sirf III chip. My 60CS has a color screen, electronic compasss, barometer (which I never use), and USB. It has plenty of memory to store what I need, which are maps of most of SoCal and 1000 caches.

Future: ??? I'm interested in the Garmin Colorado but with two kids in college, I can easily get by with my 60CS. :o

I have been using a magellan meridian gold for the past 4 years and over 7000 finds,the only cons are I'd like a color screen

for night caching and the reception is not as good as a Garmin 60csx ! The 60csx does get you to ground

zero

faster.

Pros You can load as many pocket queries as your SD card will hold and load them into active memory when

in that area. Large map display that redraws the map quickly. Can easily be seen in direct sun.

Edited by graldrich

I have both an Etrex Summit and Legend. The accuracy between them is near identical, no great variance seen. Both are easily loaded by wire using GSAK.

The first major difference between the units is the joystick feature of the Legend. In the event you have to load coords on the road, it greatly simplifies the matter as you enter the waypoint info moving the cursor back and forth as needed to the different numbers and letters. On the Summit, info entry in the field requires numberous and tedious pressing the buttons to get the task completed.

The second major difference is that when focused on the nearest caches screen, the Summit will automatically update itself without any input. As you move closer to a cache or location, that one will move to the top of the list. The nearest six are always visible up to about 70 miles. On the Legend unit, you need to use the joystick and run the nearest waypoint query again each time to update the list by nearest to farthest, and then scroll down to each cache to see the direction and distance to the location.

The last difference is the memory capacity. The Summit holds 500 waypoints, the Legend 1000. Not really a problem except when on a road trip. Don't think I'll ever find enough in one day to make that a real issue.

Currently I'm more or less stealing my dad's Magellan.. I want to say Explorer 210. I'm not 100% sure on that off the top...

If you ask me, all you need for Geocaching is a screen that tells you your current coords. :o

I've not tested the PC connection of my dads yet, and I rather dislike the lack of expandable memory. But so far it seems like a good unit for it's comparatively cheaper price (in the range of $120+ currently), including it's got a good light feature that doesn't screw with your night vision. (soft red glow)

Granted, this is the only GPS I have experience with, so I really can't give a lot of info on it..

I'm kinda looking at the Vista HCx right now, I just dunno that I can afford $240 on a toy.

Magellan Explorist 500 LE: Easy to use, can connect to your PC to transfer Geocaches (I use EasyGPS) but hard on batteries. LE is a play on Limited Edition, as in rechargeable battery and adapter not included.

LOWRANCE iFinder Go: Not as easy to use, but once you get the hang of it you can easily add Geocaches. I mark them with one symbol and then change it when (if) I find it or use the skull and crossbones if I DNF. Sensitive and inexpensive, and easy on the batteries, water-resistant and bright yellow. :D Recommended for someone who just wants to try out geocaching.

I ordered a LOWRANCE iFinder Explorer from Amazon (Sportsman's Guide) and can't wait for it to arrive.

You can download emulators from LOWRANCE to try out the user interface and see the base map on your PC.

These are the units I have in my posession, and their current applications:

Garmin eTrex Vista: Originally for everything, now not for much.

Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx: Outdoors, on bicycle and geocaching, until now. Still has some advantages over the successor.

Garmin Colorado 300: Replaces the 60 CSx, more or less.

Garmin Forerunner 301: For workouts and competitions.

Garmin iQue 3000: As an auxiliary automotive unit, some years ago.

Garmin iQue 3600: Main PDA and automotive navigator, once.

Garmin iQue 3600a: Main PDA and automotive navigator, then.

Garmin iQue 3600a: Main PDA now, since the other 3600a died.

Garmin StreetPilot c550: Main automotive navigator and handsfree unit, once.

Garmin nüvi 250: Auxiliary (daughter) automotive navigator.

Garmin nüvi 360: Auxiliary (wife) automotive navigator and handsfree.

Garmin nüvi 760: Automotive navigator and handsfree unit.

Garmin Zumo 550: Motorbike and car navigator and handsfree unit. Can find a geocache too.

I'll list mine in the order I got them:

Garmin Legend: 2001 - nice unit with some mapping capabilities but now showing its age. B&W screen, low memory and batteries last about 12 hours. I paid $260 but I've seen them for about $120 these days.

Garmin Rino 120: 2003 - Similar to above unit but with FRS and GMRS radio and position reporting - I thought it would be cool but the radios do not perform well in real world caching. I still kind of like them - bought a pair for $480. Now they can be had for about $140 each if you look around. Serial interface, B&W screen some mapping memory. Not the best little unit around.

Garmin 60C: 2004 - This is a very nice unit I still frequently use - the upgaded 60CSx is considered by many to be the best Geocaching unit available. The 60C is discontinued I paid about $400 for it. The newer model has expandable memory, color screen, USB, high senitivity, compass, barometer - nice units - can be had for about $325. Add another $100 for the nice mapping tools from Garmin.

Garmin Venture Cx: early 2007 - I fell in love with this unit instantly. Nice handheld form factor, rugged, Geocaching mode, expandable memory, color, USB, good battery life, bright yellow color so you can find it if you set it down in tall grass, etc. I paid just $180 and added the $100 city navigator maps and for $18 a 2GB memory card. Performs well under most conditions. I've seen these for about $150 recently.

Garmin Legend HCx: Just got this in late November, Best unit I have owned. Much like the Venture above except adds a faster processor and high sensitivity reciever. Too bad it is a gray-blue color. Paid $205 for it. Again add the mapping software for just $100 more.

I recieved a 60csx for Christmas. I bought a Magellan Crossover for my son. Didn't take long to figure out the Garmin, I've had alot of fun working with it. Now I'm trying to figure out the Crossover and am close to tossing it out the door. He does like the road features. Offroad and cacheing?, an exercise in futility. :D Night and day.

First one ->

Garmin GPS 60 - Did the job for Geocaching.

Pros - Cheap, good unit to get me into Geocaching.

Cons - Cheap, good unit to get me into Geocaching. Nothing else. I wanted maps and more than a little track log.

Now (3 months later) ->

Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Pros - Great unit overall, maps are fantastic. Well featured, easy to use, sensible unit that was a great, great buy.

Cons - (Minor overall). Electronic compass is gay inside a car. It usually points 45deg off. Also is wrong on my bedroom windowsill, but correct if picked up. I'd imagine metals interfere bigtime with the signal. No huge deal though. Also, altimeter doesnt work in a plane (pressure based altimeter that gives useless reading in a pressurised plane). There is no nice "Turn off Altimeter and use GPS altitude by default" option, which to me is daft.

Would definatly recommend this unit though, fantastic piece of kit.

I am looking at the Delorme gps, it runs around $420 and has many neat maping options and such that would be very beneficial in geocaching. Our gps now is an antique so I need some help in finding the right one for us. I definitely want one that is able to download maps, and one that is not too crazy expensive. What type do you have, how has it been helpful, userfriendly, and what would you change about it? Also what price range is it? Any info would be helpful, I don't want to buy this Delorme and regret it, thank you!

Hi! It looks like every year before Christmas, DeLorme has a sale on their PN-20. This year it was about $100 off for the PN-20 and card reader. I'm sorry you missed it......actually, I don't know if it is still on or not.....

I took advantage of that and am quite happy with it. It's very sensitive and easy to read. As part of the price Delorme gives you all of the US topos. They have great customer service.

It looks like Garmin makes a nice unit, but if they are really all that great, why do some people buy so many different models? It makes me wonder.

Good luck!

Tom C.

I have a Magellan xPlorist 500 ($300 with maps) and a Garmin 60 CSx ($275 on Ebay-no maps). I liked the Magellan and was satisfied with it until I had a couple of bad experiences with Magellan customer service (incompatability with Windows Vista and bad screw on the case). I bought the 60CSx with the intent of keeping the Magellan as a backup. The difference between the two units is like the difference between a Mercedes and a Yugo! Every time I use this unit I discover something else I like about it!

:D

As you can probably tell, a Triton 300. Perhaps I am lucky, but I seem to not have so many of the problems others are having. Got my first find today and was quite happy with the unit. Biggest complaint is inaccurate odometer which is going to be corrected in next firmware update.