UK-Wide Multi-cache

My apologies if this has been raised before, but I have done a search of the forum using words I think are relevant and not turned-up anything.

My idea came from lazily browsing the general board where I found this topic :-"The 50 State Multi-cache, Cache Across America". This is a big thead, 17 web-pages, running from June 06 to today, which indicates a lot of interest. I haven't read every posting, but have read enough to get a good feel for what is happening.

In summary this was a proposal to create one new cache in each state, as being part of an enormous Multi-cache. Each cache would have a unique code which, when all have been collected, is used to unlock the co-ordinates of the final "Target" cache which would possibly be located in Washington DC (which isn't classed as a state). Each log/claim would have to be verified by photo evidence of actually visiting the site. They are hoping to have some form of (sponsered?) prize for the first to find the target cache, but the main kudos was to be FTF the target itself.

This is obviously a major project, locating and visiting 50 caches in 50 states is not a trivial task, the distances will be enormous. They anticipate that it could take upwards of 5 years before anyone logs a FTF, BUT they have virtually completed getting all the state caches in place, each with a customised page and a database of logs for the project (Virginia Sample Page). As of today only 3 state caches remain to be placed, and many of the placed ones have already been logged as finds.

What I am proposing is to set-up a similar Multi-cache in the UK. Ideally this would involve England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (possibly Republic of Ireland as well).

There are, according to a quick search, approximately 100 counties in the UK, with about another 25 in ROI. So in strict number terms the project involves something like twice as many caches (at least) as for the US version, BUT the distances are much smaller here than there. It is feasible in many parts of the country to log several counties in one day. A possible alternative would be to have regional "targets" which could be claimed by visiting all the counties in that region, with that regional target having part of the co-ordinates of the "UK target cache".

A project such as this is not realistically possible for one person, it would take a dedicated group to organise it and lots of individuals to volunteer to place a cache to represent their own county.

Is anyone interested?

Is the project feasible?

Moderators - Is it "legal" within the UK geocaching guide-lines?

Where shall the final "Target cache" be located?

Am I talking out of my .....?

Does anyone care?

Lets talk.

Is anyone interested?

Of course we are!

Is the project feasible?

YES!

Moderators - Is it "legal" within the UK geocaching guide-lines?

Been answered in the affirmative.

Mystery. I would propose that a method of resolution be: All participating stages be put in a hat and there be a draw!

Some would say that you should place the Target Cache.

How about Centre to UK?

Isle of Wight

Am I talking out of my .....?

No.

Does anyone care?

:huh:

There, I've answered your questions with my opinions. How about the rest of you.

What I would like to know is;

Will you be insisting on a Theme throughout?

Are you considering each 'stage' to be independently loggable? (I hope so)

Are you going to allow multiple cachers to get together and complete parts independently if the answer above is NO? (Collaboration)

When I think of more, I'll post.

Oss!

Not strictly a true county, but count me in for one on the Wirral, which could be counted as

Merseyside

Chesire

or an area on it's own :huh:

Sounds like a good idea, maybe each cache should be placed in / near the county town, or a place of well know significance in that county, therefore adding interest (with a bit of a description on the cache page) to each location.

Great idea, although we have visited most of the English counties already. Can we put ourselves down for Worcestershire please?

A suggestion on the final... Could it be placed near the geographical centre of the British Isles/Ireland. Meriden is supposed to be the centre of England (although I think it is actually 10 miles northeast). Not sure where it is for the whole of British Isles/Ireland though.

I think they should definitely be independently loggable and a theme of some sort would be good.

One last thought: it could be difficult to come up with a puzzle/input system that ensures that all the caches need to be found. Is that to be a requirement or is the plan to allow some guesswork for caches not found?

Helen

List started here.

Used a list of counties I already had, sorry Lucilla, Monmouthshire aint on there :-( Any list of counties selected will ALWAYS produce arguments unfortunately.

You could always edit your list for Wales as there are in fact 22 counties and not 8 :huh:

Here's a list if your going to do a proper UK countie challenge, you should include them all :huh:

Plus I reckon Lactodorum should be bared from reviewing the Final Cache :D:D

One last thought: it could be difficult to come up with a puzzle/input system that ensures that all the caches need to be found. Is that to be a requirement or is the plan to allow some guesswork for caches not found?

Helen

Have a search for Delorme caches, these require special permission off Groundspeak, as to obtain the coordinates for the final container, the searcher has to email a list of the dates of finding each cache. If you wish to go down this route once all the base caches are in place, I'm quite prepared to obtain permission of Groundspeak on the owners behalf.

Also several Delorme Final caches involve long hikes, the owners will actually bring the container to the Trail Head for those who have completed the challenge but are physical unable to go to the final location. Something to think about

Sounds like a great idea.

I think it would nice to rephrase it as a British Isles Multi Cache and then inculde RoI as well as NI.

However, the addition of having to cross the Irish Sea may put a lot of people off from completing this one.

Which counties do you go for is another tricky one. There are 32 traditional counties in Ireland (26 in RoI and 6 in NI) but the ones in NI have been renamed/changed in recent years as Council Districts (or something similar) and there have been some new administrative counties added in RoI. I think that there have been similar changes in England/Wales/Scotland.

I can provide a list of the traditional counties of both RoI and NI if you want them and I'll plump for the Co. Donegal cache if you want to include RoI

Following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994, Scotland was divided into 29 unitary authorities and 3 island authorities.

Aberdeen City

Aberdeenshire

Angus

Argyll and Bute

Clackmannan

Dumbarton and Clydebank

Dumfries and Galloway

Dundee (City of)

East Ayrshire

East Dunbartonshire

East Lothian

East Renfrewshire

Edinburgh (City of)

Falkirk

Fife

Glasgow (City of)

Highland

Inverclyde

Midlothian

Moray

North Ayrshire

North Lanarkshire

Perthshire and Kinross

Renfrewshire

Scottish Borders

South Ayrshire

South Lanarkshire

Stirling

West Lothian

Islands

Orkney

Shetland

Western Isles

I'd say that placing it somewhere near the geographical centre of the UK would be appropriate :huh:

A suggestion on the final... Could it be placed near the geographical centre of the British Isles/Ireland. Meriden is supposed to be the centre of England (although I think it is actually 10 miles northeast). Not sure where it is for the whole of British Isles/Ireland though.

Helen

Looks like the centre of the UK is near Dunsop Bridge in Lancashire, althought there other centres depending on what method you use to calculate it :D

(doesn't look like it includes Northern Ireland in those calculations though :huh: )

Including Ireland may be a bit tricky for more than just physically reaching the cache. There aren't as many active cachers in Ireland as in the UK and even fewer are active on forums. In fact it's only since last year that we have a cache in each county!

5Alley proposed a similar series in Ireland a while back and it's still not complete. Looks like he's lost interest in the forum anyway.

The discussion took place here:

http://www.mccartan.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1032

It may be that the highest points bit put people off though.

As far as I can see, Angus is a district of Tayside. REALLY don't want to get into the politics of UK counties again. If the scots can agree on a list, that'll do for me.

Eeeek NO!!!!

Tayside WAS made up of (mostly) Angus and Perthshire, to say either is a district of Tayside could start a civil war! :huh:

Its a bit like saying North South East and West Yorkshire are all just districts of Yorkshire!! (that arent are they??? :huh: )

I'll put the question to the Scottish forum and see if we can come up with a list for you! :D

Edited by Team Clova