What is the point?

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxfordshire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles). I can see that they meet the guidlines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

I know of two other canal series, the K&A and the Grand Union which are well spaced even when they are in built up enviroments, but this (by Oxfordshire standards) is in the middle of nowhere!.

If this was a sport, these caches would face the accusation of bringing it into disrepute.

Can anybody truly defend them?

Can't see the problem with them myself - they all meet the guidelines and are a nice walk down the canal. As has been said many, many times here, we all play the game differently and no-one is being forced to do every cache there is. If you don't like them don't go and find them.

p.s. we'll be back down in that area to have another lovely walk along a certain Oxfordshire canal very soon and we may just bag a few caches whilst we are enjoying the walk :D.

Well I enjoyed doing four of them last week when I happened to be in the area. It was a lovely day and took me and my Uncle (a local) to an area he's not been to before.

You know you can press the ignore button don't you? Is there an "Ignore poster" button in these forums though :D

Can't see the problem with them myself - they all meet the guidelines and are a nice walk down the canal. As has been said many, many times here, we all play the game differently and no-one is being forced to do every cache there is. If you don't like them don't go and find them.

p.s. we'll be back down in that area to have another lovely walk along a certain Oxfordshire canal very soon and we may just bag a few caches whilst we are enjoying the walk :D.

does anybody else have anything better to do than to read other people slagging off people's caches?

Couldn't agree more with both of you.

Each to thier own, and, live and let live.

I've enjoyed the walk along two out of three of those canals - and have to go back to one of them to clear up a couple of DNFs - so I'll enjoy the walk and looking at the boats again.

In a place I probably wouldn't have gone for a walk without caching.

And there's a good walk I'm going to do up near Oldham soon.

As someone who has to "cache" where work takes me, I was very glad to pick up a few of these caches a few days ago.

Looking at them as individual caches, they were great fun, and anyone wanting to do the "canal walk", I think they would have enjoyed them. I've done some of the Grand Union caches also, and cannot see what the problem is. :D

At the end of the day, it's all about numbers?? :D:D , or did I miss something.

PS:- What is pock suppet?? :D Can you catch it from a micro??? :D

My cat's need worming this week so I'll ask the vet!!! :D:D

This hobby/sport is still ONLY about a hunt for a tubberware box (35mm micro) or did I miss something? :D

Nick

PSS:- Think you all know!! :lol:

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxfordshire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles). I can see that they meet the guidlines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

I know of two other canal series, the K&A and the Grand Union which are well spaced even when they are in built up enviroments, but this (by Oxfordshire standards) is in the middle of nowhere!.

If this was a sport, these caches would face the accusation of bringing it into disrepute.

Why try, to keep you happy?

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxfordshire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles).

As clearly and concisely as possible so it doesn't tax your mental agility any - the point is - To stop you getting too bored on your walk. If this was a sport you'd always come last, would always blame everyone else for you coming last and would always lodge as many complaints to the governing body as possible in an attempt to bypass/cloud the fact that you came last.

Does anybody truly need to defend them?

Note to self - Stop feeding the trolls.

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxford shire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles). I can see that they meet the guidelines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

I know of two other canal series, the K&A and the Grand Union which are well spaced even when they are in built up environment's, but this (by Oxford shire standards) is in the middle of nowhere!.

Thank you! for bringing these to my attention, you're better/as good as "notification" another numbers day is afoot

Cheers

Steve :D

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxford shire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles). I can see that they meet the guidelines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

I know of two other canal series, the K&A and the Grand Union which are well spaced even when they are in built up environment's, but this (by Oxford shire standards) is in the middle of nowhere!.

Thank you! for bringing these to my attention, you're better/as good as "notification" another numbers day is afoot

Cheers

Steve :D

Gizza shout when you do then... need another numbers day!

:D:D:D

Why not pick the 100m hudle race, remove all but one hurdle and call it the high jump.

Glad you didn't run the local estate agents when I was looking for my new house....

"I need a new house"

"Certainly madam... you have the choice of one... THIS one.. we only sell one at a time"

Hmmmm

WOW how many caches?

I can see another Dancing Samurai Sunday picnic coming :D:D:D

I well remember the caches concerned and I was involved in publishing at least a number of them. As has been pointed out they do comply with the guidelines therefore they were published. I can imagine the reaction here if we reviewers started judging new caches against our own personal subjective criteria before allowing them (and quite rightly so!)

No, if they conform to the guidelines they get published.

All that being said, it did cross my mind at the time that they might be considered a "Power Trail" and maybe I should request they be combined into one or more multi caches. However this is not a problem we really suffer from in the UK so the UK reviewers very rarely invoke that requirement (unlike in other parts of the world). I decided that given their canalside location they would make a pleasant walk and should stand as the placer planned.

As has been suggested, the use of the "Ignore" facility is an effective option.

To other respondents to this thread I would ask that you be very sure of your position before accusing anyone of being a Sock Puppet.

Putting aside the issues that surround pock suppetry and each to their own, there would not be a complaint from this quarter if these caches were spread over twice the distance so linking Banbury with Oxford along the canal. I would be in fact applauding them and actively planning to do them in one go.

But what it all comes down to is sheer numbers in a very constrained linear line. It appears to me to have been set up by those and for those only interested in just number collecting and it could be argued that it therefore reflects a lazy mind and maybe a lazy body.

These are indeed a ‘Power Trail’ but not on a par with SP’s Ridgeway Run.

What poor old Jolly Jaxs thinks about the swamping of the series that he originated I don’t know, but to my mind at least they have spoilt what would have been a decent and well-conceived set of caches.

i have no problems with power trails or lots of caches in an area, i have done a couple of the canal ones and when i go back will get a couple more.

some collect numbers, some collect types of caches, some just like the walk everyone does this game for different reasons, as long as it gets people out and about and enjoying themselves then its all good.

if you dont like a cache, type of cache, person setting the cache or the area then dont do it and play elsewhere.

play nicely children its a dangerous world

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors but they all have to learn to live in the same box

Putting aside the issues that surround pock suppetry and each to their own, there would not be a complaint from this quarter if these caches were spread over twice the distance so linking Banbury with Oxford along the canal. I would be in fact applauding them and actively planning to do them in one go.

But what it all comes down to is sheer numbers in a very constrained linear line. It appears to me to have been set up by those and for those only interested in just number collecting and it could be argued that it therefore reflects a lazy mind and maybe a lazy body.

What poor old Jolly Jaxs thinks about the swamping of the series that he originated I don’t know, but to my mind at least they have spoilt what would have been a decent and well-conceived set of caches.

You are off course entitled to you opinion. However as I see you have not done any caching you are hardly in an expert position.

Yes some people Weill do it purely for numbers and a pleasant walk (me for sure). Others may use it as a way of encouraging their children to walk a little further that n they normally would.

Power trail it may or may not be, there are a few around. However, as Lactodrum has pointed out, they are on what appears to be a pleasant canal-side walk, not just a film can slung behind a lamppost at the side of the road every .1 of a mile.

Can someone clearly explain what the point is of the Route Canal series of caches in Oxfordshire. 26 caches in under 10km (6.25 miles).

well, people hide caches, so that others can look for, and hopefully, find them - that's the whole point!

I can see that they meet the guidlines but surely our moderators must have an opinion about the efficacy of this series.

<nick checks dictionary for definition of 'efficacy'> (definition from AskOxford.com = Ability to produce a desired or intended result)

The desired or intended result of a cache is for cachers to hunt for it, hopefully find it, sign the log, do a swap if they so desire, then re-hide it for the next person.

Some cachers like to have the odd 'power trail' to increase their numbers quickly.

I'd say that this series of caches is in both cases most efficacious.

Wow, has the cache or cache owner been accepting bribes, taking steroids or getting drunk and smashing up hotel rooms?

Consider it done!

These are indeed a 'Power Trail' but not on a par with SP's Ridgeway Run.

What poor old Jolly Jaxs thinks about the swamping of the series that he originated I don't know, but to my mind at least they have spoilt what would have been a decent and well-conceived set of caches.

Evidence of Pock Suppetry? I think it's just been provided. If any cacher has a problem then voice it under your own identity. This is a cowardly and unacceptable manner. It makes me wonder who I can talk to freely at events etc without the fear of reprisal from a backstabbing cacher!

Thank you

Anonymous

(Ooops, don't look to the left of this post I don't want anyone to know who I am!!!)

You live in Oxfordshire. Why don't you do a series of another 26 or so caches that links up with Oxford from the Route Canal series and then my family can make a weekend of it. Hey why not organise an Oxford Canal Event one weekend so we can all share your joy of canal walks together. Show some friendly Caching Spirit.

Edited by Vanya1

Power trail it may or may not be, there are a few around. However, as Lactodrum has pointed out, they are on what appears to be a pleasant canal-side walk, not just a film can slung behind a lamppost at the side of the road every .1 of a mile.

Isn't that what the Motorway Madness caches are :D:D

Nah, they are more than 0.1 miles apart... :D:D:D

As I've been 'mildly' drawn into this so-called argument, if only by name, I'll add my point of view to the mix.

I judge every cache on its own merits and a walk along a canal doesn't sound all that nasty. Unlike the original poster, I'll reserve judgement on these caches until I've actually done them. But then the argument isn't about caches, it's about density and ease-of-numbers; I have nothing against power trails 'conceptually', and can't see a good argument against the idea of them. It's possible to have good ones and bad ones (made up of 'good' caches and 'bad' ones - define good and bad for yourself) but until you've done these ones, you aren't equipped with the information to form much of an opinion... Unless the original poster has done them, didn't like them, and doesn't want to put their own name to a public discussion of their pros and cons. Either way, I've yet to see an argument against these canal caches, or power trails in general any stronger than 'I don't like them' - As my dear old mum would say, "It'd be a funny world if we all liked the same thing."

Well we did them the other weekend and we both enjoyed the nice walk along the canal.

Also had a nice lunch, so I can’t agree with this post at all.

Isn’t Geocaching about getting people out and about visiting new places, in that sense the caches are brilliant?

Maybe you should do the caches first Mr Planner and then report back? What you think?

See ya…Gary

Are we sure "Mr Planner" isn't the original setter of the series and he has used his post to (rather successfully) promote his caches? :D

I wouldn't call walking 6 miles (12 miles round trip) lazy.

For my own view - can't wait to do them.

I'll admit that when I saw the latest batch published, it did strike me that there were a lot of caches appearing in a pretty small area, and while I wasn't as concerned as The Planner, it did seem to be over-egging the canal slightly.

I then throught back, to a very nice little series of caches I did fairly recently just above Banbury, and what a lot of fun I'd had on a very pleasant walk.

Oddly though, I still didn't feel quite as comfortable with this set.

Reading this thread, I think I've put my finger on it.

The Banbury run had an objective - clues in 1-6, giving the location of #7. They're far enough apart to be separate caches, rather than a multi, but had the charactersistics, and defined objective similar to a multi. This set is less focussed, having to 'right' order, and no opbjective, apart from having a walk and finding the caches.

For me, that makes it a bit less interesting - I'd prefer the focus of the Banbury run, or the variety of aq trip around totally disconnected caches.

It won't stop me going after them sometime though - probably with much planning with maps first, to split them down into smaller walks, so that at the end of the day my car isn't far away.

Each to their own.

Oi!! Offside! JollyJax does not often read the forums, but if he has anything to say he is capable of saying it himself without other people putting imagined words into his mouth.

BTW, the canal series have in fact been set by a variety of setters, not just one person. One of the setters (not JollyJax as it happens) has been speaking to me about the series and they seem to have set them in the hope that people will go and do them and enjoy the individual caches, the walk and the numbers. There does not seem to be any cynical edge to this. Setting caches takes up time and effort and costs money. People who do it are putting something back for us all to enjoy.

I have done some of these caches and I enjoyed them. If they are not your thing then dont do them. I gather that there is currently no cache on Rockall... enjoy your swim to go place one!

there would not be a complaint from this quarter if these caches were spread over twice the distance so linking Banbury with Oxford along the canal. I would be in fact applauding them and actively planning to do them in one go.

Why don't you miss every other one and make two walks out of it? Then you can really enjoy them twice. Or.... set the other ones to link Banbury for us, spaced at your desired distance and suggest that the walk can be continued to Oxford to complete the journey.

How do you propose we get back to Banbury though? Can you publish the location of the nearest train station on the cache pages please?

Thanks, super smashing great :D

Stuey :D