Crock Hunter Memorial Geocoin

glennk721

Greets all, Have a idea to through out for a Geocoin Idea, I woke to the news today that Steve Irwin (THE CROCK HUNTER) has past away due to a accident while filming a children's show. Think a memorial coin would seem fitting since many , many of our coins are wildlife based. I am not in a position to fund this coin, but throwing the idea out to the community perhaps with funds generated to go to keep his wildlife refuge open, and a way to this community to show our thoughts and caring to his family, leaving behind his wife and 2 small children,,

Ok the topic is out here, lets hear some feedback, or perhaps a group effort to get this coin off the ground,

Sadly posting this, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Hi,

Cheer up! :)

I thought it was a nice idea. After hearing it on the news this morning I briefly thought about putting out a travel bug in his memory. He jammed a lot of life and living into what time he had on this earth.

And there's lots of great geocoins out there that have nothing to do with geocaching, they're just neat! I love my Alien Geocoin :)B)B)

Valarie

Edited by Band of Bradys

Ehhh... probably avoid that. Sounds too much like "here's a coin comemorating what killed Steve Irwin" type thing. I'd say have a coin with him wrestling a croc, or just standing beside one with his foot on it's back or something.

Man that guy kicked a**. I'd buy the geocoin. It'd go well with my "Crash Course" DVD that he starred in :}

Ehhh... probably avoid that. Sounds too much like "here's a coin comemorating what killed Steve Irwin" type thing. I'd say have a coin with him wrestling a croc, or just standing beside one with his foot on it's back or something.

Man that guy kicked a**. I'd buy the geocoin. It'd go well with my "Crash Course" DVD that he starred in :}

Is there a croc coin yet?

Is there a croc coin yet?

I know of 3 coins with a Gators the FGA Florida coin in Silver and Gold, and the Spring Texas (pending) coin has a gator on it. there may be others. I like the memorial coin idea still,

This is interesting,

I'd say have a coin with him wrestling a croc, or just standing beside one with his foot on it's back or something

And yes Steve did represent the great outdoors, If it were not for a 10FT gator I would have retrieved my brand new ETREX from a local canal on my 4th Find, I was not as brave as he !! :blink:

LOVE the croc shape idea! It would have to have Steve's name and Crocodile Hunter nickname on it. Another suggestion. Use the Sumatran Elephant charity idea. Make a "special edition" version of only 5 or 10 coins and auction them off on ebay, and all proceeds are donated to his wildlife refuge or his memorial fund (yes, there is one already). I, too, will pay for my share of coins up front.

Though he didn't deserve to die, he had NOTHING to do with caching and I personally feel any coin as a "memorial" coin to him would be nothing short of 100% profit driven.

I would not pay for nor trade for one. Just my $0.02

In the infamous words of another post here (though not in this thread as of yet)

Pass

Edited by Haughton's Hunters

Pfft, so he didn't geocache. Dale Earndhart (or however that's spelled) had nothing to do with kitchenware, but there's a million memorial plates of him. Wilfred Laurier didn't invent money, but he's on the Canadian 5 dollar bill. Various "famous" people have had their faces on postage stamps, but the closest thing they are to said postal service is getting fanmail. There's geocoins with famous people on them... quite a few of whom I'm sure have never even heard of it.

It doesn't matter. He was known for the outdoors. He introduced god knows how many people to the wonders of the outdoors. Geocaching is typically an outdoor, nature-hike type activity.

Edit: In retrospect... someone earlier said any profits could go to charity. So yes... it indeed may be profit driven. I tend to have no problems with charitys being given money.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Edit: In retrospect... someone earlier said any profits could go to charity. So yes... it indeed may be profit driven. I tend to have no problems with charitys being given money.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted. If ALL proceeds went to either

A ) his family

or

B ) a charity he supported

I would have no problem with the coin. I still personally wouldn't purchase it, but at least the sale of it would benifit his family or a charity.

Edited by Haughton's Hunters

maybe it ought to come from Australian cachers, if indeed that's what they'd like to do. .

I dont think that the Australian caching community would get a commemorative coin minted - that's just not how it works here.

My suggestion is for everyone who enjoyed Steve Irwin's life and times - take inspiration from his actions and do a little bit for nature and conservation in your local area. Take your kids to your local zoo, identify a local animal habitat in your area and work out what lives there, practice CITO, build animal habitats in your yard etc etc. Your actions to help nature fight back against human habitation would be a much better memorial.

My AUD$0.02

Wow, didn't expect this to happen so quickly.

Like others have said - his passing is unfortunate and I fee lfor his family.

But I'm not interested in a memorial coin for him.

May his family find some peace in knowing that he died doing something he loved. We should all be so lucky (someday).

Yeah, but I have no respect for most other people. My respect (as much as it's worth... that I'm sure being very little :blink:) has to be earned, not given initially to be possibly lost. He's one of the few that have earned my respect :D

Did you mean you "have no respect for most other *people*" or did you mean to say you have no respect for most other *celebrities*?

I was thinking the same thing after I posted. If ALL proceeds went to either

A ) his family

or

B ) a charity he supported

I would have no problem with the coin. I still personally wouldn't purchase it, but at least the sale of it would benifit his family or a charity.

I doubt a worldwide celebrity's family is going to be financially in-need.

Is it too early to suggest everyone take a deep breath and try to think rationally about this?

Here's my two cents....It doesn't matter that Steve Irwin was from Australia and the Australians certainly shouldn't be "expected" to do a commemorative coin. The point is he was a great conservationist and educated people on the job and animals he loved. So for those who want to obtain a coin or make donations, that is your choice....enjoy it! It's all based on your own feelings anyway. Steve will be missed by many. :blink:

Yeah, but I have no respect for most other people. My respect (as much as it's worth... that I'm sure being very little :blink:) has to be earned, not given initially to be possibly lost. He's one of the few that have earned my respect :D

Did you mean you "have no respect for most other *people*" or did you mean to say you have no respect for most other *celebrities*?

No, I stand by my comment of 'people'. All people in general are completely neutral until such time they somehow change my thoughts on them.

If you feel like donating to the fund that Steve and Terry setup then go here www.wildlifewarriors.org.au

Thanks for the info. I'm now an official Wildlife Warrior! And, yes, for me that means more than just the monetary donation.

We've heard plenty of pros and cons about this coin idea. If you're against it, you have been heard. No need for any more posts to this forum. It does not matter that Steve was not a geocacher. Neither was Carl Friedrich Gauss, but I'm currently waiting to receive a coin with his image. The Austrailians are certainly not obligated to produce this coin, though if they would like to, I would certainly step aside and let them do it, and order the coins from them. The Irwin family is certainly not in need of financial support, but wildlife conservation efforts constantly are.

Might I suggest another good reason to produce this coin? The purpose of geocoins is not only collecting, but also sending them out into the world to travel from cache to cache. Each time someone finds this coin in a cache, they will be reminded of Steve, and all the good work he has done. It might also be a reminder for each of us to continue his legacy, and do our own part for wildlife conservation.

:blink:

Yeah, but I have no respect for most other people. My respect (as much as it's worth... that I'm sure being very little :D) has to be earned, not given initially to be possibly lost. He's one of the few that have earned my respect :blink:

No, I stand by my comment of 'people'. All people in general are completely neutral until such time they somehow change my thoughts on them.

I see. In my opinion, "no respect" is far from neutral.

Good day.

maybe it ought to come from Australian cachers, if indeed that's what they'd like to do. .

I dont think that the Australian caching community would get a commemorative coin minted - that's just not how it works here.

My suggestion is for everyone who enjoyed Steve Irwin's life and times - take inspiration from his actions and do a little bit for nature and conservation in your local area. Take your kids to your local zoo, identify a local animal habitat in your area and work out what lives there, practice CITO, build animal habitats in your yard etc etc. Your actions to help nature fight back against human habitation would be a much better memorial.

My AUD$0.02

This idea seems to be MUCH more fitting.He had nothing to do with geocaching,but he had EVERYTHING to do with the outdoors! It seems to us that doing CITO,or making a donation to a wildlife institute in his name would be much more meaningful!

How many geocaches did Steve Irwin find?

does it really matter if we know or not? he may have been a cacher and we just dont know it.

LOVE the croc shape idea! It would have to have Steve's name and Crocodile Hunter nickname on it. Another suggestion. Use the Sumatran Elephant charity idea. Make a "special edition" version of only 5 or 10 coins and auction them off on ebay, and all proceeds are donated to his wildlife refuge or his memorial fund (yes, there is one already). I, too, will pay for my share of coins up front.

in the shape of a croc with the front looking like one and on the back having something like; in the memory of steve irwin, the crocodile hunter. CRIKEY!!

also what about making them in three metals with one type being extremely limited as mentioned earlier, and offering a set to his family as a tribute from the caching community to them?

i would like a couple of coins if they are produced.

just some more ideas to toy with

This is one i would buy. What an adventure his life has been, he lived and did the things he loved to do and the same time was a great environmentalist! animal lover and good guy!

my kids and i loved watching him, we saw animals that we would normally never see.

he will be missed in my house!

Crocs Rule! :angry:

Pfft, so he didn't geocache. Dale Earndhart (or however that's spelled) had nothing to do with kitchenware, but there's a million memorial plates of him. Wilfred Laurier didn't invent money, but he's on the Canadian 5 dollar bill. Various "famous" people have had their faces on postage stamps, but the closest thing they are to said postal service is getting fanmail. There's geocoins with famous people on them... quite a few of whom I'm sure have never even heard of it.

It doesn't matter. He was known for the outdoors. He introduced god knows how many people to the wonders of the outdoors. Geocaching is typically an outdoor, nature-hike type activity.

But Wilfrid Laurier did a lot for Canada, and Dale Earnhardt did a lot for NASCAR. Steve Irwin did a lot for... hmm... showing people how to be a nimrod around dangerous animals?

Although it is tragic that Steve Irwin died, he is famous not for doing anything positive - for all practical purposes he was an attention whore who garnered fame for doing things that most people would say only a jackass would do. Where some people say "brave", I say "foolhardy".

He died doing what he loved to do, and a person can't ask for more than that, but the guy was hardly worthy of a memorial IMO. Marlon Perkins did more to introduce people to the wonders of the outdoors, and what do people think of him?

Such a coin would definitely not be something I was interested in unless it was struck in solid gold or solid silver, then, maybe for the bullion value. However... and this is the important bit... just because I wouldn't want it doesn't make it a dumb idea. I say you should go for it because I bet they'll sell.

OK, I try to never give my opinion in this forum, but here it is. Steve Irwin harrassed more animals than anyone I have ever seen, just for sensationalism, TV ratings. Some considered him a biologist, with no degree. Some thought he got too close to endangered species. His stunt, the one with him holding his child while feeding a hungry crocodile, was somewhat Michael Jackson-esque He is not geocaching related. I feel sorry for his wife and children, but he took the chances that eventually brought on his demise. That's my opinion, I wouldn't want this coin.

Some say Steve Irwin was a wildlife educator.

Steve taught our kids about wildlife.

Evil Knievel taught our kids about driving.

Steve was an entertainer. If you care about Steve contribute to his zoo.

If you care about wildlife contribute to the World Wildlife Fund.

Might I suggest another good reason to produce this coin? The purpose of geocoins is not only collecting, but also sending them out into the world to travel from cache to cache. Each time someone finds this coin in a cache, they will be reminded of Steve, and all the good work he has done. It might also be a reminder for each of us to continue his legacy, and do our own part for wildlife conservation.

:P

There are Commemorative coins and Geocoins.

This would be a Commemorative coin, so in my opinion: don't

If we really need a coin to remind us of people who made a difference in Wildlife preservation, there are better examples to be found than Steve Irwin.

In that case I vote for a "Dian Fossey" memorial coin. (or do we already have Gorilla coins?)

(my two coins...eehh.. cents)

OK I am sorry I even started this thread, it was from the heart, and has brough out many different opinions. No disrespect was meant to anyone and or to his family or others involved with his life. There is another thread to throw out ideas for coins, I probably should not have started this one, Since this is such a somewhat heated thread , If a moderator would be so kind to close it, Perhaps the timings was much off as a couple of posters had said. , and my apologies to all that may have found this disrespectful it was not meant to be. . Glenn :P

OK I am sorry I even started this thread, it was from the heart, and has brough out many different opinions. No disrespect was meant to anyone and or to his family or others involved with his life. There is another thread to throw out ideas for coins, I probably should not have started this one, Since this is such a somewhat heated thread , If a moderator would be so kind to close it, Perhaps the timings was much off as a couple of posters had said. , and my apologies to all that may have found this disrespectful it was not meant to be. . Glenn :P

There is NO need to apologize here. There will always be people that will get offended by anything. I was thinking of producing a geocoin with a Saguaro cactus and I'm pretty sure that I'll get a response from somebody that I'm being insensitive because their pet cactus was run over by a car when they were seven years old and have suffered major trauma and depression because of it and thank you so much for reminding me of it.

If you reconsider (and I hope you do) put me down for a couple.

In closing, I would like to quote Jimmy James of Jimmy James incorporated to a naysayer. "If nattering nabobs like you had their way, nobody would run naked through the Chicago Mercantile Exchange."

Cheers

Of course it wasn't disrespectfull.

You brought forward an idea, and we discussed about it.

Respect everyones opinion, have a discussion and alter your opinion or not. That what this forum is about.

Don't apologize.

Edited by Twin Peaks