Crock Hunter Memorial Geocoin

glennk721

Glenn,

It was an idea, some liked it, some didn't, I thought that's what you posted here for, to get feedback? There are very different views in this thread, that's ok. Don't take it as a bad thing, express your ideas, some work, some don't. As for this being heated, Nah, not even close!

No apologies necessary !! Agreed that everyone has a different point of view, we all did not come out of the same mold :angry::P:P .. Its all good, :angry: , I at least brought to the top a way for people that want to donate to the fund set up, So its a good thing anyway !! Glenn :angry:

EDIT @ Hula Bum, perhaps the wording heated was incorrect !! just ment it brought out a debate thats all,, THX though,,GK

Edited by glennk721

Greets all, Have a idea to through out for a Geocoin Idea, I woke to the news today that Steve Irwin (THE CROCK HUNTER) has past away due to a accident while filming a children's show. Think a memorial coin would seem fitting since many , many of our coins are wildlife based. I am not in a position to fund this coin, but throwing the idea out to the community perhaps with funds generated to go to keep his wildlife refuge open, and a way to this community to show our thoughts and caring to his family, leaving behind his wife and 2 small children,,

Ok the topic is out here, lets hear some feedback, or perhaps a group effort to get this coin off the ground,

Sadly posting this, Glenn

:P That would make an awesome coin. Although i cannot afford to make one now, if anyone does have one made, please let me know. I'd have to have one! I love that show!

I also don’t normally give opinions on too much within these forums. However with regards to the proposal I would say no. I would not be interested.

With regards to Steve Irwin and what he did some comments just go to show that not all people got what he was about. Never have never will.

Jackass is an Americanism that I assume is used in a derogatory term. We have Australian words that we use such as larrikin, yobbo etc. Although used with an affectionate slant. Stevc Irwin would not have disagreed with the term.

I also don’t think he would have disagreed entirely with the perception that he may have harassed animals to get his points across. His education method was not orthodox but was effective in the main. Many people enjoyed the show and were better informed for it. In each encounter Steve Irwin had with an animal there was only one party that had the possibility of being hurt.

Steve being the most harassing? I can think of many others things such as poaching, introduced fauna, clear felling, scientific research etc etc etc.

However intimating he has done nothing for fauna conservation is far from the truth. The TV persona and acting like a jackass allowed Steve Irwin to put his money where his heart was. Even the manner of his death will cause some good. He was doing what thousands of people do on the Barrier Reef every day. We are all better informed.

For those supporters of Steve Irwin look past the personality you enjoyed and hear the message he was trying to convey.

The reason I will not support the coin idea is fairly simple. I got what he was about. The money is better spent elsewhere. Support whatever cause you choose. That would be more appropriate.

:P Look! If someone wants to make a coin in memory of someone else, then no one should hinder the idea! If you are not for purchasing the coin, then don't. I'm sure many would buy the coin and many would not.

It;s the idea and thought that counts. Oh, and to the jokester, you know the sun screen comment, go jump off a cliff during the next hike you go on! :P

Closing this thread per the OP's request.

Yes, opinions vary and MOST of you stayed within the guidelines with your posts, thank you.

A few of you are treading the line of losing your posting rights for a few days.

If you're unsure which bucket you fall in, I suggest you re-read the guidelines.

If the OP wants this thread re-opened, he can contact me to do so.