Ftf

Am I an FTF addict? Probably. I suppose going out at 9pm to grab 2 Tbs from caches I'd already done, getting up at 4am the next day to bag six micros before work then cutting every corner in the book to get the final at 3pm is probably an addiction.

Am I a tw*t, probably! But not for THAT reason.

Just more obsessive than the rest of us!

We've had about half a dozen FTF's (Fourth To Find!) whilst out, but not looking for a First To Find.

Nearest we've been to a First is walking past one twice, whilst doing other caches, on the day it was set!

Thats the problem of sorting out a days caching the night before, and not checking in the morning, before setting off. :ph34r:

I apologise whole heartedly for my lax lingo.... in the thread i started VERY soorry Lactodorum. i am only a taddy and did ask for help too remove the offending word. just was in a foul mood and that was the first topic i wanted to vent about. won't happen again. Apologies again

I have a few FTFs. Most were placed by the same cacher, I guess because of the time they listed it online and the proximity to my house. Another couple were just not chased by other cachers (I think I know why but that will take us off topic) and the last two were minutes from my office and listed just before I passed them. Believe it of nor I have only once decided to try and be FTF, and that was my first FTF.

Hmmm,

While not an FTF addict, it does add to the chase knowing that someone else is probably out there around the same time. In our area, you have to be quick for FTFs.

Having said that, I have been known to go for it at 10pm, in the dark and raining !!!

Also did one while I was in Ireland a couple months ago, at just after midnight.

I repeat, not an addict :ph34r::(:P

But sometimes, it just has to be done ......................... :P:P:P

I apologise whole heartedly for my lax lingo.... in the thread i started VERY soorry Lactodorum. i am only a taddy and did ask for help too remove the offending word. just was in a foul mood and that was the first topic i wanted to vent about. won't happen again. Apologies again

Don't panic! I have been edited in every forum I have ever used :ph34r: And I doubt it will be the last time either.

I only ever tried once and ended up second, and the two times I did get there first were by accident and happenstance.

I usually figure if by the time daylight has finally woken me up, Ive thought about getting up, sloped around the house for a while til the caffeine kicks in, downloaded the paperwork and driven over there im still first its meant to be, otherwise....ah well, as long as theres somes TBs around for me to take home and foster for a short while Im happy as thats my chief enjoyment in the game

My 2nd find (Sept 02) was a FTF :ph34r: so I got it out of my system early on. The next finder of the cache was over 2 weeks later and the 3rd was another 3 months after them :( Boy how things have changed :P

I dont tend to rush out any more think I have only had 3 or 4 more since then but I do have aRRKS to the North of me and snerdbe to the South :P

Ah, yes FTF. Got one today - I'm on holiday in new Zealand. Unfortunately G:UK won't recognise it for the league table.

I go for them for extra motivation, my enthusiasm for caching in general waxes and wanes and counties/countries/FTF/milestone numbers/coins/COTM/trigpoints all give me a litytle extra something to go for.

We've got a couple of local cachers who seem to drop everything when a new cache gets published and dash off to get FTF - whatever lights your candle and I've no problem with that at all. Each person plays the game differently and to me that is one of the attractions of the sport :unsure:.

If I'm around, see a new cache published and am not doing anything else I have been known to do the same but most times I've got other things to do and am content to find the cache at my own leisure and enjoy the views / historic site / etc etc as the cache placer intended :unsure:.

I've been known to make a special journey for a FTF, but generally I'm not too fussed. That said, there is an extra thrill in finding a blank logbook - and an extra danger in going for a FTF as you're effectively testing it for the setter who may have had a senior moment. As I did with my latest cache. It was sorted before it was published though.

I rather resent not being able to see more than the title of the previous FTF thread. I'm an adult and can handle bad language, but Lacto was quite right in deleting it of course - not everyone who uses this forum's an adult. Anyway, I'm sure it was 'entertaining' reading while it was live!

Back OT, since FTF-Fever does nothing to damage geocaching, I have no issue with it whatsoever. Indeed, if I got a log on a new cache of mine at 3am I'd be very pleased someone felt my past offerings good enough to go for a new one at silly-o'clock. It's a compliment, I think. :unsure:

<snip>

I rather resent not being able to see more than the title of the previous FTF thread. I'm an adult and can handle bad language, but Lacto was quite right in deleting it of course - not everyone who uses this forum's an adult. Anyway, I'm sure it was 'entertaining' reading while it was live!,/snip>

Actually it wasn't TOO bad, I have been heard to say much worse :unsure: but I thought it best not to have it showing on a "Family Friendly" site. Unfortunately it was in the only place I can't edit (the second line of the title) so I had to make it "invisible". Sorry about that :unsure:

Out of 691 finds I have 65 FTFs. That's over 9%, and when you take out the locationless, events, and couch potato virtuals, it's more like 12%. I suspect that's above average, and I got a couple of "here comes the FTF king" comments at a local event last week, so other people seem to have noticed.

My guess is that Belplasca holds the record, though - certainly I don't know of anyone with a higher FTF percentage.

I must admit to feeling a bit of a rush when going for an FTF: "please let me be first... please let me be first..."

Curiously, the "doh!" when I find I'm not first when I open the log, is not much more than the "doh!" when I see a log on the site from someone who has got there before I've even set out. The worst is going for the FTF and logging a DNF - slightly more so if the owner then says "oops, small error in coords, thanks Nick, corrected" and someone else then bags it!!

However, I may start to wind down on the FTFs for a bit. Last week my car blew up (turbo, head gasket, maybe more, still waiting for the full diagnosis) when I was on the way to an FTF (which I wouldn't have got either, someone else was already on site when my car broke down). The car would have broken that evening regardless, but there's a slight nagging feeling that 75 miles round trip for a little bit of bragging rights might not be the best possible use of the family budget. So I'm going to try and find 3-4 caches per trip from now on.

Except... hold on... gotta go, new insta-notify mail...

I am in the don't mind if I do, dont mind if I dont camp. FTFs are nice, but I am not too bothered about getting them at any time of the day or at all costs. I reckon there is a load of macho b____ spoken about them too.

Setting your own goals in caching I am all for, so if you want to increase your number or percentage of FTFs then fine. For a while I was attempting to log more Jeeps than anybody else in the UK. Most recently, I was going all out to get to 1000. Now I am chilling and just trying to keep on top of new local caches, and finish off some series. I think my next project will be to go and do another full-on all day cache, such as 'Do you feel lucky?' or 'Lewis Alone'.

Hmmm,

While not an FTF addict, it does add to the chase knowing that someone else is probably out there around the same time. In our area, you have to be quick for FTFs.

Having said that, I have been known to go for it at 10pm, in the dark and raining !!!

Also did one while I was in Ireland a couple months ago, at just after midnight.

I repeat, not an addict :D:unsure::unsure:

But sometimes, it just has to be done ......................... :blink::huh::o

Nick....

I have a VERY puzzled look on my face!!! You...NOT an FTF Glory Hunter?? Get real!! lol!!

I'm with Ali on this ... take them or leave them.... if I'm about, got nothing much to do, see them go live, and I know that they're easy enough to do on my own, I'll go for them... other than that, I'm really not bothered! I'll let CrazyL200, AC-P and PhilPamandRob go for the Glory!!

Hmmm,

I repeat, not an addict :D:D:huh:

But sometimes, it just has to be done ......................... :D:unsure::unsure:

Nick....

I have a VERY puzzled look on my face!!! You...NOT an FTF Glory Hunter?? Get real!! lol!!

I'm with Ali on this ... take them or leave them.... if I'm about, got nothing much to do, see them go live, and I know that they're easy enough to do on my own, I'll go for them... other than that, I'm really not bothered! I'll let CrazyL200, AC-P and PhilPamandRob go for the Glory!!

Hazel....

Don't know what you mean :D:D:D:ph34r:

Wait 'til I get my hands on AC-P and a certain Pirate :blink::huh::o

Fully expect it to have been found by the time I get back from Easter hols...

:huh::(:(:)

My guess is that Belplasca holds the record, though - certainly I don't know of anyone with a higher FTF percentage.
Well, GeocacheUK showed me as approaching 400 UK caches and almost 50% FTFs before it went down...

But that doesn't mean that I have nearly 50% FTFs! It means that I have found nearly 50% of my UK Non-Members Only caches on the same day as the FTF! I haven't kept my records up to date recentl, so I can't give you the correct figures... However, the GCUK stats do not include caches outside the UK - though Cacher of the Month does, of course.

So my stats don't include my FTF in America or the one in Turkey last week :-)

Anyway, to get right back on topic, I really don't have the time at the moment to go out for a day's caching, so I go for new caches and events instead. It's my way of regulating things...

Maybe I'll become more "sensible" soon. But I doubt it!

Bob Aldridge

There are three reasons why I enjoy FtFing.

The first is that you are finding the cache in exactly the condition its creator wanted it to be found in. Some caches tend to migrate their position over time and the camouflage or other covering tends to evolve, not always for the better.

Another is that the surrounds haven't yet taken on the appearance of a Masai Mara riverbank after the thundering herd has passed by.

Another is the thrill of not knowing if the co-ords are a load of tripe. One type of error which I've discovered more than once is that the placer had inadvertently used OSGB36 datum and Airy spheroid instead of WGS84. It's such a common error that when going for what I believe may be an FtF I usually pre-calculate where the cache will be if that error has been made.

We have one FTF to our name, bagged last Sunday, and four seconds, all bagged on the same day in January, the day after the caches were published.

It was a good feeling, opening the log book and finding it empty - but I was disappointed not to get bells and whistles when logging it online, or some other form of recognition.

It was good, but not good enough to warrant cancelling a prior engagement or getting up at the crack of dawn - I think that sums up our approach to FTFs.

This leads me to wonder why some caches attract many cachers on the first day, while some (in the same area) stay unfound for days after being placed. Our FTF cache (a simple multi) was published on the Wednesday, but we didn't find it until the Sunday - very surprised that no-one had beaten us to it. Our 2ndTF caches were published on a Saturday evening and the first find logged as 7.45 on Sunday morning! The cache we placed was found twice the morning after publication. All these were in the same general area.

I guess how long a FTF takes is subjective.

There's two scenarios that seem to put people off...

1. Someone's recently put up a new cache (about a week ago) which FINALLY got found today (You know who you are). It's got a TB in it that I'd really, really like to find. However, it's so difficult (or unobvious to me) that as much as I'd like to find it I just can't work it out (it's a Mystery Cache)

2. There's nothing worth being a FTF with a cache - I'll explain.

I'm putting together a new cache. It's my first, admittedly, but I'd like people to find it. It's going to be loaded with goodies which I'm hoping will make it attractive.

I think FTFs go much quicker with goodies in them.

Like people have said here, it's often an unregistered TB or Geocoin etc. We all have to go to the pain of finding a lunchbox (ammo can etc.) and then filling it with fun bits and bobs.

BY THE WAY, I'm not knocking people who do this because we need as many caches as can be viable.

+++++++++++++++Please keep placing them+++++++++++++++++

/me pulls back awaiting the flames

1. Someone's recently put up a new cache (about a week ago) which FINALLY got found today (You know who you are). It's got a TB in it that I'd really, really like to find. However, it's so difficult (or unobvious to me) that as much as I'd like to find it I just can't work it out (it's a Mystery Cache)

I'd really, really, really like to find that TB aswell! but I've got no chance of finding the cache. I'm just hoping that whoever does take the TB drops it off somewhere nearby before it goes back up to the scottish highlands or somewhere.

But nearly a week to get FTF in this area is a very long time - usually it's only hours before Third Degree Witch or the Bongtwashes find it!

Our first ever cache was a FTF, did not know what one was then, found this lovely silver bracelet in the cache, but had nothing of equal value to trade as I couldn't quite get my daughter in the box, so we left it for the next cacher <_<

have had a few since, but never went for one just because it was a new cache, one was over three weeks old before we did it, and just happened to be a ftf also, lovely walk and stunning views, more than makes up for not being ftf, I just enjoy getting out :P

stay safe

Bill

I'd really, really, really like to find that TB aswell! but I've got no chance of finding the cache. I'm just hoping that whoever does take the TB drops it off somewhere nearby before it goes back up to the scottish highlands or somewhere.

But nearly a week to get FTF in this area is a very long time - usually it's only hours before Third Degree Witch or the Bongtwashes find it!

Or in the case of that particular cache, ME. <_<

I could have taken the TB and placed it in the North East at Easter.... or I could have put it in a 1/1... but I was threatened with violence if I did, as I have already had it before, so I didn't. :P

Or in the case of that particular cache, ME. <_<

I could have taken the TB and placed it in the North East at Easter.... or I could have put it in a 1/1... but I was threatened with violence if I did, as I have already had it before, so I didn't. :P

If I can ever find the bleeding thing I could take it to Cornwall next week, but it used to be at Brogborough and then disappeared to Wales before I had the chance so if I ever find it, I'll put it somewhere reachable (a 3/3 should be OK shouldn't it?)

BTW, congrats for finding it, it's bugged the hell out of me for a week but I may be just on the way to solving it (did take an email to the owner mind)

Two others have already posted DNF's on it!

We had a FTF today, our second ever. It was only set THREE WEEKS ago. :D But it was quite difficult.

There are some local cachers who are prepared to go out at 5-30AM (you know who you are) but for us its just a bonus.

It's out of my system now I've had a FTF! Promise! :(

Backfired on me though.... got spotted by a collegue on the way back to Lowestoft who couldn't believe his luck that I was up and about so early - there had been an emergency at work in the early hours I ended up getting my rest day cancelled..... ah well!

Edited by *mouse*