The Worst Cache Container You've Seen

Preparing a couple of Lock & Locks for placement tomorrow reminded me of the worst cache container I've ever seen. "And what was that?", you ask, wondering. IK will tell you.

It was a Friskies Cat Treats foil pack. The cache owner had tried to use some black marker to kill some of the bright pink surface, but not very effectively. They did have the zip lock mouth down, so the package didn't fill with water! Good thinking. I was second finder, and the thing was still intact. It definitely smelled of cat food. I've always been sorry I didn't just change it out with a matchsafe, thus sparing the area the inevitable foil confetti of animal assault.

So tell me, what was the worst cache container you've ever seen?

A one-gallon plastic pretzel container camouflaged by an icky, icky black plastic garbage bag. ;)

And, by the same hider, a small "sewing" kit container, the kind with the little swivel handle on the top that lets water leak in. :D

That cache's "theme" was electrical items and it contained some of those "push" lights, a little radio with ear plugs, a small flashlight, a bike light, etc. Two inches of water was in the bottom of the container when I found it . . . B)

A plastic bag from Wally-world. The cache contents (several items) and the log book were wrapped up in the Wally-world bag. That bag was, in turn, wrapped in a second bag. This "container" was shoved into a bush in a small urban park.

I had looked at it several times and dismissed it as either trash or the belongings of a homeless person. Finally, one of the other cachers with me opened it and discovered it was a cahce.

To top it all off, the cache page listed the container as a micro. I guess the fact that the "container" was half the size of a gallon milk container and looked like trash was supposed to make the cache harder. ;)

A container for Swiffer replacement pads, wrapped up in the shopping bag tossed in some park landscaping. We found it pretty early in the very short lifespan of that one. I'm sure the first clean up crew to spot it tossed it for the trash it appeared to be (but with a log sheet.) B)

I have found a few of the aforementioned pouches, and so far they seem to be holding up pretty well. Just one more use for that magical duct tape. ;)

Edited by wimseyguy
How many old-timers are left that remember what this cache container was?

PS: Looks like the owner deleted all the logs on it? If I remember there where some.

;) As a site volunteer, I can see the archived logs, including links to lively forum discussions. I don't think it would be ethical for me to restore the deleted logs or to reproduce them here, but I do think I can share the text of Jeremy's archive log without getting into trouble:

This is a stupid idea and not a cache. Remove this immediately.

I need to get ahold of Jeremy's cache review templates. Mine tend to go on for a bit longer.

Hmmm. Well it must be a cache I found that is submerged and is in a 35mm Film canister. That spells WET.

How many old-timers are left that remember what this cache container  was?

PS: Looks like the owner deleted all the logs on it? If I remember there where some.

That give a bad name to Ham Radio operators! The page makes no sense and it's a mystery cache, but why? I must say that wins the prize.

EDIT: Prematurely hit submit.

Edited by Scout353

I found a Zip-Lock bag with holes tore in it. It was lying out in the open on the side of a hill! Absolutely the worst cache I have found.

I take that back there was another Large Zip-Lock bag I found in TN. It was lying in an open field, soaking wet with junk inside which also stunck. We refused to try and remove what was left of the log so we wrote on the cache page and left it for another suprised Geocacher.

....I don't think it would be ethical for me to restore the deleted logs or to reproduce them here....

Maybe not, but if they're as good as the one you quoted they'd sure make for some great entertaining reading! :unsure:

While maybe not quite as bad as some of the caches already posted here, the worst one I've seen was one of those clear glittery plastic pencil boxes like you'd use in 2nd grade... stuck underneath a dumpster behind a fast food joint.

A clear ziplock bag, containing just a damp logbook and some trading cards.

Ditto. But I will say that it was well-camouflaged sitting in that evergreen. I thought the bag was just another piece of trash that had blown into the tree.

Actually, the worst one I found was the final stage of a multi. The container was Gladware hidden in a hole dug in the ground on the side of a hill. A large rock weighing 20 pounds was placed on the hole to cover the Gladware. The hole wasn't deep enough for the container, so the rock crushed it. Being on the side of the hill, all the rainwater flows down into the hole and fills the crushed container. Everything was dirty or water damaged in the container.

Edited by geognerd

I just came back from a Vegas cache-run. One of the containers was the remains of a Tupper-like container that had grown so brittle from exposure that you couldn't touch it without breaking off a piece. It wasn't very nice. A previous finder had placed the log, pens, swag (such as it was) in a blue plastic bag.

A clamshell-type eyeglass case - in a lampost cache, of course.

Several paper "cans", one originally for potato chips and another for dishwasher soap. Both were a far cry from waterproof. Found the dishwasher one in a snowbank. You know the rest.

Several broken tupperware caches - one next to a roaring stream covered with large rocks. Again, you know what's next.

And a ziplock bag that was floating in the green, gooey water that filled a discarded tire. Scenic cache, that.

A rusted metal pencil case...the hinges rusted off so it was basically 2 pieces of rusty metal with a ripped ziplock (holding wet PostIt® notes) sandwiched in between.

I was with you when you found that. You ought to see some of the other containers that same hider has hidden.

Three caches same day by the same hider:

First was a metal coffee can sitting in a seep spring, no zip loc for the contents and someone had placed 2 large(pink & blue) chalk sticks inside - this was the slimiest I have ever seen the inside of a cache.

second was a bent up altoids type tin that had been dropped from the bridge to the rail road tracks more than once. It was full of water (of course no ziploc) and the log sheet was rust orange with a very unique odor.

Third was a coin caches it was a Dockers wallet tin in a ziploc with the side ripped out of it, placed in a Glad zipper bag with the zipper removed, all of this placed in another open bag then placed in a tan Kroger sack, for camo I guess. This was the slimiest I have ever seen the outside of a cache.

I spent more time cleaning and ziploc bagging items than I spent searching for the caches. I notified the owner of the need for waterproof containers and the condition each of the caches were in and what I had done to help the caches. He checked the caches and replied very hatefully that the caches were no where near in as bad of a condition as I reported them to be in, they were clean and packaged nicely and I wasted his time by making him go check on the caches??????? And if I didn't like them then I should never visit any of his other caches?????

I highlighted the section on what I had done and the time I spent cleaning the caches as my only response. :huh:

I notified the owner of the need for waterproof containers and the condition each of the caches were in and what I had done to help the caches. He checked the caches and replied very hatefully that the caches were no where near in as bad of a condition as I reported them to be in, they were clean and packaged nicely and I wasted his time by making him go check on the caches???????

I always take a picture of the cache and post it with the log when I come across one like that. The broken jar cache posted above is an example. I'll say this cache needs a welfare check and this is the condition I found it in. If I have a spare bag, then I'll try to repackage it.

Edited by Bluesman63

I can think of two.

One was a large trash bag at the base of a tree with just a damp log book.

The second was a 35mm film can on a fishing line underwater at a yacth harbor. the thing leaked and the log rotted away and the kids that hid it would not replace the log or maintain the cache. After several months and lots of negative logs it was archived it took me to days to clean the stink from that thing off my hands.

My worst was a baby wipes container, the kind that looks like a Lego. Both of the ones I found had water in them, but one had quite a bit more because it was placed flat with the lid facing up.

One more I found was a plastic zip-lock bag under a rock. It was holing up well and I do not think it was the original container.

One more I found was a plastic zip-lock bag under a rock.

I have located more than a few like that. And a couple that were ziplock bags shoved into a hole in a tree. In several of the baggie ones, the bags were in pretty sad shape, obviously not being maintained.

Edited by OGBO

Found one the other day that would have been fine but it defiantly hasn't been maintained. It was a plastic bottle with a plastic cap. Must have been a food conatiner at one point becasue the animals had been at it. There was a large hole in the top, the plastic bag on the outside was ripped up. I was surprised the contents were closs to dry even with the snow we've had. Didn't have anything to rescue it with. Tried to email the ower but the email is no longer any good.

The worst cache containers I've seen have been decon containers...4 of the 5 I've found have been filled with mushy paper goo...I've heard that they seal pretty well, but it seems, in my experience, that people don't tend to close them very well.

jamie

Edited by NFA
The worst cache containers I've seen have been decon containers...4 of the 5 I've found have been filled with mushy paper goo...I've heard that they seal pretty well, but it seems, in my experience, that people don't tend to close them very well.

jamie

Funny because they use a lot of decon containers around my home base and I have one cache out that's a decon - never had any trouble with them. You do have to work to get them closed though. Never found a decon or an ammo box with wet contents - leave it to the military....

The worse container I've seen by far is a ziplock bag. Obviously this has been done by others as the post here have reflected. One thing I noticed from some of the containers others have cited is the containers are not all bad at all. Actually they are good containers (like ammo boxes in water), but bad cache placement... I mean some of these containers are pretty good, but the owners just did't do their homework in choosing/designing their cache.

An ammo can with a leaky seal that was chained to a tree and "hidden" in the river. Was filled with water to the top, everything inside it was mildewed. :anitongue:Cachedaddio's Lament

I didn't see a log from you (ExpeditionExplorers) on the cache...and scanning thru other cacher's posts, I didn't see anything about the container being full of water??

Looks like it is missing now...

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
An ammo can with a leaky seal that was chained to a tree and "hidden" in the river. Was filled with water to the top, everything inside it was mildewed. :anitongue:Cachedaddio's Lament

I didn't see a log from you (ExpeditionExplorers) on the cache...and scanning thru other cacher's posts, I didn't see anything about the container being full of water??

Looks like it is missing now...

Oh, we posted on it, but supposedly we gave away the "secret" location while complaining about the destroyed contents, so the log was deleted. We haven't visited it again since. (Between the April 3rd and 10th logs)

Edited by ExpeditionExplorers