New. What To Bring When Caching?

kwikcacher

You may also want to add:

- First Aid kit (contents may dictate where you go) but have basics like bandages, tape, aspirin, After Bite, etc

-Tweezers for the extra hard to extract logs (also works great for extracting splinters, thorns, stings, etc)

- Compass (just in case)

- Flashlite (comes in handy when in dark places)

- Walking Sticks

- Water bottle

- Utility knife (aka Swiss Army knife)

- Extra Ziploc baggies, tissues, cloth rag/hand towel

- Poison Ivy/Oak ointment (Tecnu works great)

- Pair of plastic pants that can easily be rolled up (useful when in ivy invested areas)

- CITO trash bags

- Paper to replace potentially destroyed or damp geo logs

- Cell phone

- Bug repellant

- Extra socks

- Snicker bars

Those are my 2 cents worth....

Others will also have their favorites.......

Camera

Edited by CondorTrax

Hey CondorTrax, you must have a loooooong back pack to fit those hiking sticks :D .

There are collapsible ones out there, I suppose (I use ski poles).

Those are all great items to throw in; I have all except the compass and plastic pants. Wait I do have plastic pant but I use them for dance night :D .

I also have the following:

Emergency rain poncho

Gaiters

Waders (the cheap $10 ones at Big5)

Leather gloves (these are usually in my back pocket when hiking)

Emergency drinking water tablets (Katadyn Micropur)

FRS radios

Cap or other suitable head covering

and, of course, some micro containers 'cause you never know where you're going to find a good spot to share with others.

Of course, you may not have room for all this stuff, but having it available for the appropriate hike is what you're aiming for.

Chuy... ya killed me :D .

Mine are these collapsable/telescoping Leki Trekking poles. Haven't tried it but I guess they can be attached to the side of a backpack; ready to use when needed.

I'm actually using a "messenger" bag hanging off a shoulder. Easier to get to stuff than possibly having to take off a back-pack. All the stuff I mentioned fits in the messenger with room to spare. At end of day whatever works best.... and you'll figure out what you'll need to what needs to be left behind. One guy I know who's allergic to bees tings takes along benadryl.

It all depends on the kinds of caches you do. If you're mostly into urban or suburban hides, then all you really need are your GPS, a small bag of trade items and perhaps some insect repellent.

If you're going after caches in the woods, you take anything you'd take hiking, plus your GPS and goodie bag.

Here are the contents of my pack (winter mode):

8a545f05-6a98-404d-a4f4-88273d56ee0a.jpg

I did a really fun, strenuous hike yesterday and have to say the most important thing I had with me, other than the GPSr and my camera and water and some snacks, was my walking stick.

I don't know how I hiked without one before.

Just wanted to add that . . . even though others have already mentioned how important a hiking stick is.

Those walking sticks from Walmart are very popular. I spend time in the hiking forums and they get good reviews (even compared to the Lekis). One person I know has over 300 miles on his and no trouble yet.

Regarding zip lock bags, make sure you pack some of those little ones. (You can usually find them in hobby / craft stores.) They come in REAL handy. ;)

I also carry extra pens. I hit two caches in one day that didn't have a pen in them. It was good to be able to replace the pens (and the torn log baggies as well).

I too use an off-the-shoulder type bag - I call it my Indiana Jones bag. It works quite well and is easier for me to deal with than a backpack would be.

I usually just carry:

Swag

Pen (and extras)

GPS (I have a carry case hung on my bag with a carabiner)

Flashlight (awesome 1 watt LED light - VERY bright - made by Darcy)

PDA

TP in a baggie (you never know!)

Spare batteries

Plastic liquor flask (For WATER - only holds 375ml but this isn't for long hikes and it is flat so it fits nicely in one of the pockets on the bag)

Large ziplock with other sizes of ziplocks in it for cache repairs, etc.

One leather glove (Right hand for checking places I don't like the look of)

Hat

Glasses and case (Can't read the darn PDA without them)

That's all I can think of at the moment that I ALWAYS have with me.

Mine is a simpler set up, based upon my simpler needs;

Camelback hydration unit which holds;

GPSr,

Spare batteries,

Mini-mag flashlight,

Cell phone,

Trade items,

Pen.

That setup goes with me anywhere I go. If needed, depending on the cache, I'll add;

Hat,

Snakeboots,

Hiking staff,

Glock 45,

Ziplock baggies,

Spare log book,

Toilet paper,

Bug spray,

First aid kit.

I know they've both been said before, but the only two things I've found myself really needing and did not have on me were:

1) A flashlight (yeah, you THINK it's way down in that hollow log, but maybe you might want to look in there before you just go stickin' your hand in)

2) A compass. On more than one occasion already I've been able to find a cache when the tree cover was too high by finding an open area, getting the bearing and distance and using the compass to head in that direction. It helps to be able to pace off a distance with some consistency.

I always have these in my pack, but sometimes if I think I'm after an easy micro or something, I won't even take the pack with me, just leave it in the car. A quarter mile down the trail I wish I had the flashlight.

I tend to travel light because I'm not often off the beaten path, though. Pack accordingly - I've seen a couple people hiking paths not a half mile from the main road carrying enough equipment and survival gear to conquer Everest.

I read all the previous incarnations of this thread. I'll try not to repeat things that've already been said. Here's what I have to add:

What's the calculator for? You've got pencils and paper, and I don't see any need for advanced math that the GPSr doesn't already do for you. Several people mentioned calculators in their kits. Clue me in?

Pens and pencils are great, but sometimes a greasepencil ("china marker") is the right tool for the job. Marking on the side of an ammo box, for instance. Fluorescent surveyers' tape is also cheap and handy for all sorts of marking needs.

I picked up some Ivy-Cleanse packets, and recently found that Tecnu is available in packets too. Stuffing a few in the first-aid kit sure beats carrying around a whole 16-ounce bottle that you rarely use. Also make sure your kit includes whatever medications you take. A small pack of Benadryl is worth its weight in gold if someone gets stung.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned a small folding grappling hook to use with all that rope. :( And rags are great, but you know where your towel is, don't you? I also always keep a roll of electrical tape in my pocket. It's tough enough for emergency strap repairs, tenacious enough to reinforce band-aids that won't stay put, stretchy enough to work as a tournequit in a pinch, and you'll find a zillion other uses if you carry it every day. I like Scotch 35, which doesn't leave residue, and 88t, which is unbelievably stretchy.

Caches seem to have moisture problems even when they're perfectly sealed. But what packrat geek doesn't have a pile of desiccant packs, saved from packaging? Now that the weather's cooling off, it's time to reactivate your dessicant packs: Lay them out on a cookie sheet and put 'em in an electric oven at "warm" (200 F) overnight. (See why you wouldn't want to do that in the summer?) Gas ovens produce water as a byproduct of combustion, and since the object here is to drive the moisture out of the packs, you really want dry electric heat. Store the desiccant packs in a tightly sealed baggie, and drop a few in each cache you find. If you find packs already in a cache, swap them out for fresh ones, and take them home for reactivation. (That's almost worthy of its own thread!)

Also, basic GPSrs are cheap enough now, carrying a spare is practical. If you're caching with friends, two people with receivers can help a lot, especially with dense tree cover. And if you have to foresight to mark a "where we parked the car" waypoint on both units, you'll have a much harder time getting lost if one unit dies for some reason. On a longer hike, a backup GPSr is just as sensible as carrying spare batteries.

Speaking of spare batteries, do something to keep them from shorting out with each other and the metal miscellany at the bottom of your bag or pocket. I had a mishap with a 2100mAh AA on the passenger seat with my foil-wrapped slice of pizza...

And speaking of car-food, Capri Sun and other pouch drinks are perfect for the winter, since they don't burst when they freeze. Apple sauce and pudding cups share the same miraculous property. :(

<SNIP>Caches seem to have moisture problems even when they're perfectly sealed. But what packrat geek doesn't have a pile of desiccant packs, saved from packaging? Now that the weather's cooling off, it's time to reactivate your dessicant packs: Lay them out on a cookie sheet and put 'em in an electric oven at "warm" (200 F) overnight. (See why you wouldn't want to do that in the summer?) Gas ovens produce water as a byproduct of combustion, and since the object here is to drive the moisture out of the packs, you really want dry electric heat. Store the desiccant packs in a tightly sealed baggie, and drop a few in each cache you find. If you find packs already in a cache, swap them out for fresh ones, and take them home for reactivation. (That's almost worthy of its own thread!)</SNIP>

<SNIP>And speaking of car-food, Capri Sun and other pouch drinks are perfect for the winter, since they don't burst when they freeze. Apple sauce and pudding cups share the same miraculous property.</SNIP>

Now there's some original ideas that are great! Thanks for sharing yourself...Myself...and your ideas. I'm off to update my pack now. :(

Walmart has Chinese-made collapsible hiking staffs.  Don't know how long they will last but they have a builtin compass and are spiffy red.  They run $10; you get what you pay for, but these may be worth looking into.

Pookie the Trophy Geo wife just bought us two of these and they work great.

The compasses were dead on.

They are quite sturdy and prevented two nasty spills.

Edited by Verga

I carry the following;

(I keep a number of the items in my truck since I'd have to have a pack mule to carry all this stuff into the woods [:(])

1) A complete cange of cloths (And I do mean complete), you never know when you may slip on a rock while crossing a creek, and in the winter that can be VERY damgerous.

2) A First Aide Kit

3) Regular (small flashlight) and a pocket Led flashlight

4) Compass (I actually carry at least two, one that attaches to my wrist watch strap, and a regular base plate or hiking compass

5) Trading material

6) Small to medium multi-tool

7) Cell Phone

8) SPARE Key for your vehicle (Take it from me, this WILL come in handy some day)....

9) Ball cap in the summer, warm stocking cap in the winter.

10) Gloves – several pair. ALL YEAR LONG

11) Spare Batteries (I keep spare batteries in the truck as well as in my hiking pack)

12) Spare Zip Lock bags (I keep spare batteries in the truck as well as in my hiking pack)

13) Spare Log Books (You can get small note pads at almost any Dollar Store for 3 for a buck)

14) Garbage (CITO) bags (I keep spare batteries in the truck as well as in my hiking pack)

15) Spare Pair of shoes

16) Bottled Water (I try to carry several bottles) (I keep spare batteries in the truck as well as in my hiking pack)

17) Snacks

18) Bug Spray

19) Full size bath towel (In case you fall into water and need to dry off)

18) Hand towel

19) Handy wipes (I keep a large pack in the truck, and several in my pack that I take into the woods)

20) 100 foot of 3/8" rope

21) As an Amateur Radio operator, I always carry one of my hand held radios and a spare battery pack.

22) I also carry a spare GPSr.

23) Paper road map.

The only thing I haven't seen listed is some blaze orange. Depending where you are caching and the time of year, a blaze orange hat or cheap vest can come in handy.

Amen! I recently added an orange thinsulate hat and a cheap plastic orange vest to my kit. I work as a cellular site tech, and a lot of my caching gear is also work gear. 95% of the time I can park right next to the site so I'm not worried about someone mistaking me for a target, but in the event that I have to park some distance away and hike back to the site, that orange hat is my best friend.

I carry a firearm with me in addition to many of the items listed above.

i second that... any time i go any where neer the woods or the city i carry my side arm in a holster... no one messes with you in the city when caching down allies... and well big cats... if i see one inside 200 feet... ITS GOING DOWN!!! fine me later

**trying to keep a straight face**

t90_1.jpg

:)

No really, I would suggest putting together a kit as suggested in a Nov. 2005 Field and Stream article called “Save Yourself” by John McCann. It could come in handy besides the things the other have suggested "just in case".

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/...1120078,00.html

Currently I’ve made the Pocket Kit, which is really easy to carry, but the Wilderness Hunter is my next project.

kit1_lg.jpg

Edited by grueinthedark

I carry a backpack. In it I carry 2 flashlights, extra batteies, GPS, pencils, change, swag and trading items, any TB's I have, dog poop clean up bags, chapstick, gum, water bottle. 2 sets of gloves, 2 sets of socks, 2 hats, scarf, hand/foot warmers, notebook. Also my cell phone, dog leash, digicamera, and a knife. I have a first aid kit in the truck as well as a ladder.