Cacher-magnets

Between October the 16th and October the 24th this year (9 days) no less than six cachers or caching teams bumped into each other (three pairs) with another near-miss at one of my caches. Obviously cachers do cross paths from time to time but it's only happened 'properly' to me once in 261 caches. You can't include meetings or 'engineered' bumpings. What are your stats and do you know of a 'caching nexus' near you where folks always seem to meet each other?

SP

With our meagre 33 finds we have only spotted one other team we were returning to our car in the suggested carpark of 'Stamford Taurus' when we spied a couple setting up what we thought might be a GPS. We didn't introduce ourselves but emailed the next finders of the cache and confirmed our suspicions.

Next time I think we will just ask - the British are so introverted!

Si

[Edit - d'oh]

Edited by The Hokesters

Four times in 203 caches. A few same day 'near misses', especially with FTF caches.

We met Dogastus who introduced himself, and Wilburii who we apprended when he was sat in a churchyard with the cache open :anibad: Also a family of cachers at Imber (village is on army land and has restricted opening). Another time at Westbury we met another family who were doing their first cache and this time it was us that were sat in the grass with the cache open when we were discovered :)

Now we tend to be quite suspicious of anyone walking near a cache just incase they are cachers! It does take a bit of courage to ask (unless the old GPS is in full view). I think we've had more near misses with non cachers walking by just as we find the cache or fill in the log book.

I have bumped into DaBaEm doing the series of caches on the Kennet and Avon Canal (I had the cache under my arm at the time).

I have also bumped into Oldragbag at Thame Troll.

I saw some OBVIOUS other cachers at Barbury castle and said hello to them, but they were obviously shy (awww!) but they logged that they clocked me for a cacher and seemed awfully smug that they think I hadn't rumbled them! :anibad:

er, that's it, so 3 out of 139 caches so far.

Mind you, I have come to some caches still warm from the previous visitor, and co-incidentally today I decided to start putting a time as well as a date on my logs - I have only done this previously when it was silly times of the night and I was showing off! :)

What are your stats?

I've bumped into cachers on three occasions. Out of over 380 finds, that's under 1%. Not very likely..... but it still happens.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I have had chance sightings of cachers on three other occasions, twice in the New Forest, and once at the top of Ben Nevis.

Edited by Stuey

My first time was here ...

Hundred End Copse

...which was my 400th and something cache. Rather amazingly the cacher I met (Desperate Dave) was out on his first ever cache hunt. We failed to find the cache due to a problem with the co-ords (it's true!! :) ) so we gave up and nipped off to the pub instead!

The busiest cache was ...

Yarrow Valley #1

.... where I bumped into Mr & Mrs Inukshuk who had minutes earlier bumped into Mongoose39uk. Shortly after we left, Famlea arrived only to bump into John Stead! 5 sets of cachers in under 2 hours - almost an event cache in its own right!

The most memorable was....

Alchemy Quest - Iron (Shropshire)

... where as I arrived I caught sight of a bloke clinging precariously to a tree way up the notoriously steep and hideously slippery bank at Ironbridge :anibad::o - I instinctively knew it was a cacher.. :o .. and indeed it was the first time I had met The Heywood Hornet!

Cheers!

Seasider

The most memorable was....

Alchemy Quest - Iron (Shropshire)

... where as I arrived I caught sight of a bloke clinging precariously to a tree way up the notoriously steep and hideously slippery bank at Ironbridge :anibad::) - I instinctively knew it was a cacher.. :o .. and indeed it was the first time I had met The Heywood Hornet!

Cheers!

Seasider

Yeah! :o Everyone ends up meeting at Iron for some strange reason!

(Mainly due to the fact that they've probably been there at least an hour scrambling up and down a muddy bank looking for an ammo can...)

MarcB

I've only really met one other geocacher in the wild (excluding event days and outside my house!). This was Team Freakent at A Little Oak- it was quite funny as they all looked pretty fed up as they had been walking around for hours after taking an extremely long route to the cache!

MarcB

I have been away from geocaching for many months for one reason and another, but I am now back and making time for it (rather than whingeing that I haven't had enough time for it). Although I have only recently reached double figures and have never yet bumped into any other cachers, there have been one or two interesting coincidences, notably discovering that two friends and fellow cachers called Richair and ChrisB had been to our pub - on more than one occasion. I actually sold ChrisB my old DVD player before I learnt of their alter egos from a photo seen on another cacher's website! It's a funny old game! :anibad:

Excluding event days, I've only met one cacher in 165 caches, Gail of Rosie & Co, and she wasn't caching, she was walking the dogs. It was her cache though. And she identified us (me and my great-nephew Sam D) immediately as cachers, even though we were only at a virtual stage of the multicache. But I suppose two GPS units, and me taking a close-up photo of a little plaque on a bench, did rather give things away!

I had a quick visit to the Lake District at the weekend, attempting the new Lord of the Rings super-cache on the Saturday. I bumped into Fellsmanhiker at microcache 3, after seeing him briefly at the notorious no. 2, and we searched together (to no avail, although he returned the next day and found it).

After giving up, I climbed Latterbarrow and found "Latterbug". I left a toy car in the cache, specially in case the famous "windywalkers" were in the area. They weren't, but it turns out that they know Fellsmanhiker very well, so soon heard of the meeting and looked at where I'd logged caches, thus spotting the toy car, which they are now determined to retrieve!

HH

P.S. Well done to Fellsmanhiker :anibad: - see here.

In nearly 2 years of caching I have seen 2 groups of cachers outside my house doing my webcam cache and spotted one team "in the field" (literally and figuratively) although I didn't realise they were cachers until I saw their log on the website saying they had spotted us. The 3 encounters have all been in the last few months (one yesterday) but then I think geocaching is getting a lot more popular, I think its going to happen a lot more in the future...

We've met other cachers at 11 caches but met 2 cachers at 2 of those making 13 different cachers including 2 from overseas. Not sure if that beats Daisy and Me - depends what you count.

Anyway the cachers were:

g8gxk

Lassitude

story_generator

Imager

Happy Hippos

Ann & Brian

maxytaxy

Jessex

TawnyRUK

The Sweets

Bob Smith

Cryptik Souls Crew

LazyLeopard.

Edited by The White Family

We are very new to this caching mallarkey, only started in October! While we were searching for T'Owd Man and His Stone Cat in Derbys we met Darrach and his wife. Joined up for a while, continued the search but neither of us found the cache, not until the following week anyway. So, bumped into fellow cachers on our second time out - is that a record? :)

Met KrazyKats on our 3rd or 4th cache back in May/June time (going for a FTF) and saw a fella walking down an underused footpath who later turned out to be Spotty Spaniels. (also trying for a FTF)

I've only set one cache, but three teams met each other at about 7am trying to be FTF

2 out of just over a hundred, is probably above average, but it looks like to stnad much chance of meeting fellow cachers you need to be aiming for FTF's.

On 29th February 2004 I was caching with my children at Buckleberry common near Newbury, when as we were looking for the box having reached the general location we were suddenly disturbed by about 6 geocachers who were in a competiition. Well my eldest son (stobbo) found the box and was suddenly covered with all the others who literally threw things in the box and stamped the logbook in what took about ten seconds. I was new to the hobby at the time and found the whole episode very funny. I only remembered the name of one of the people as 'Paul Blitz' who I have met since. I keep meaning to go on one of these events but have not managed it yet.

188 caches and 144 trigpoints . not counting event caches Let me just count the cachers I have seen ..................

NONE not one :lol:

well it turns out cachers in the wild are like buses . You wait for ages then TWO turn up :lol: :lol: :mad:

at the cache Near Near The Hole on Broc Hill (Staffs) I was trying to get FTF but beaten to it by the master snerdbe then while we were talking we saw MarkGPX looking around.

188 caches and 144 trigpoints . not counting event caches Let me just count the cachers I have seen ..................

NONE not one :lol:

well it turns out cachers in the wild are like buses . You wait for ages then TWO turn up :lol: :lol: :mad:

at the cache Near Near The Hole on Broc Hill (Staffs) I was trying to get FTF but beaten to it by the master snerdbe then while we were talking we saw MarkGPX looking around.

Wish i'd checked the site before we left home on sunday we were in throwing distance of this one. We visited a cache that had 3 visitors on the day so thats 103 caches and no cachers is this a record?

Not counting event days, at which there have been numerous sightings of other cachers...

Met MDFlyer at Craggis of Gorgon;

the same afternoon narrowly missed introducing myself to Murrin & Spioradsaor at Under Iron - we were all trying not to look too furtive;

DeputyDawg at Peden's Stone;

Marmal at Witch You Were Here;

Ullium & Angela at Ivy's Bridge;

One half of The Stubbornly Oaks at Kensington Gardens no4;

and most recently, Team Clova at Sightseeing in Ceres;

not to mention narrowly missing Highland Nick twice, Snaik once etc etc.

And these locations are all over Scotland - The Borders, Lanarkshire, Lothian.,Fife as well as London. These days, I expect it to happen rather than not!

Edited by Firth of Forth