Gc Grammar And Spelling

:( So, I was raised with my grammar corrected. English in school was easy, 'cause I spoke it. I even use the ' when I write 'cause correctly. But in the heat of the moment we all do the "teh" thing....and more. I once wrote aside as asside, and didn't catch it in my proofread. And then there are these:

It is their cache. The cache is there. They're going caching.

So, what mistakes have YOU made in your log or post. What makes you cringe. I am a sub teacher, so I hope I can get away with this.

I make mistakes in every post and log, which is why I have a 99.99999 percent edit rate. Sometimes I don't notice the mistake until the next day, which is why a lot of my edits come many hours after the OP.

My pet peeve though is when people say something "peeks their interest".

Edited by briansnat

Ooooooooooh, now you're talking about a subject near and dear to my heart! If you live in this house, you'll be corrected when you use incorrect grammar. Notice I said 'live.'

There isn't enough space here to list all the things I've seen that bother me! But I'll mention one. I hate it when I see the apostrophe being used improperly, such as, "Many people use apostrophe's when they aren't necessary."

The one that bugs me more than anything is "your" when they mean to say "you're". That's everywhere!

As in, "Your going to like this cache". If you want to say that, "you are (something)", then use, "you're".

Edited by Mushtang

My pet peeve is people that pick apart minor grammar and spelling mistakes in forum posts and cache logs. With cache logs, I'm just glad someone logged it online.

When it comes to forum posts, it seems the people that work the hardest to pick apart another poster's spelling or grammar are the ones that have nothing better to contribute to the discussion.

My pet peeve is people that pick apart minor grammar and spelling mistakes in forum posts and cache logs.

Once again, I agree with Mopar...I have NEVER emailed a cacher to correct any grammatical errors on any of my cache pages, although I did let a cacher know they had misspelled a word in the name of one of their caches...they wrote back that they had never noticed it was wrong, and wondered why no one had pointed it out to them (we geocachers are too polite :( )...they thanked me and corrected the name of the cache...

I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar as well, but I would never email a cacher to correct any errors in a log. There are a lot of commone spelling and grammatical errors out there that a large part of the population struggles with - not everyone is great at spelling, just as not everyone is a whiz at math. :raises hand:

However, I will say I think it's ludicrous when you see screw ups on professional signs or in newspapers. That drives me nuts, and whoever is making the billboard/ad or proofreading the columns for the paper should be catching some of the obvious mistakes (such as the misuse of 'your/you're', apostrophes, etc.).

But hey, we all make mistakes - I know I have when I'm making a post or logging a cache in a hurry, I've made a few humdingers in the past, and not caught them until later. :(

~Rhubarb

Edited to correct spelling! :(

Edited by Pilgrim, Rhubarb, & Sweet Pea
I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar as well, but I would never email a cacher to correct any errors in a log. There are a lot of commone spelling and gramatical errors out there that a large part of the population struggles with - not everyone is great at spelling, just as not everyone is a whiz at math. :raises hand:

However, I will say I think it's ludicrous when you see screw ups on professional signs or in newspapers. That drives me nuts, and whoever is making the billboard/ad or proofreading the columns for the paper should be catching some of the obvious mistakes (such as the misuse of 'your/you're', apostrophes, etc.).

But hey, we all make mistakes - I know I have when I'm making a post or logging a cache in a hurry, I've made a few humdingers in the past, and not caught them until later. :(

~Rhubarb

Ditto. I'd NEVER point it out to anyone in particular, except my family. I consider that a part of my job of raising kids.

My brother in law teases me that my sig line should be *edited due to fat finger typing!*

I never bother someone for their typing, I am just sorry that I tend to read my post for spelling after I have already hit the add reply button.

By the way Mopar, are you caught up on all your logs? Have you replaced the "Placeholder" logs? Just kidding!

Hey, I slept through school. Leave me alone!

Speaking of professional signs mistakes, we've all done it. The best story I've heard about this was many years ago before sign computerization and everything was handpainted. A sharply dressed young man brust into a signwriter's shop just before closing. He was in a panic. The upper-scale men's store at which he worked was a having a big sale starting tomorrow and he was the one tasked, specifically, with getting the posters made.

He begged the signwriter to stay late and get the posters made. The writer agreed.

Next day, bright and early, the signs were delivered. However, one of the most prominent ones was to read "SHIRTS - HALF OFF." It wasn't until the sign had been up for a couple of hours when someone noticed the R was missing.

The only thing computers have done in ths aspect is be able to save and duplicate mistakes. Same in the engraving world.

Ooh, another one that gets to me is when people mean to type "a lot" but instead make it one word.

Alot of times this just makes me wonder if people ever paid alot of attention in school, or if they just slept through most of it.

Made up words just slay me.

:( Feelin' a little devilish, so please forgive me, but....

When it comes to forum posts, it seems the people that work the hardest to pick apart another poster's spelling or grammar are the ones that have nothing better to contribute to the discussion

"it seems that people WHO work..."

I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar as well, but I would never email a cacher to correct any errors in a log. There are a lot of commone spelling and gramatical errors out there

common...and...grammatical

I'm betting you both did that on porpoise.

NOT trying to put anyone down here, but it seems like this is a valid and harmless venting place if we're not naming names. As someone mentioned above, "I could of been their all day hunting that cache." :(

NOT trying to put anyone down here, but it seems like this is a valid and harmless venting place if we're not naming names.

Exactly. These things bother you and me, and a few other people. I'm sure they have those things that are their pet peeves; grammar and spelling just aren't two of them (or is it 'those?' :blink: ).

While we're at it, the sport of boxing irritates me. Oh, wait! Wrong thread! :laughing:

Also, noone is not a word (but is the last name of one of The Monkeys), as in "noone found my cache today".

I think you mean Peter Noone, who was part of Herman's Hermits, not The Monkees.

*former Monkee fan in the 60s*

Thanks for that answer. I knew he wasn't inThe Monkees, I just couldn't remember the correct band name.

Also, noone is not a word (but is the last name of one of The Monkeys), as in "noone found my cache today".

Which one?

Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith or Peter Tork?

edit...oops, I was a little late :laughing:

Edited by Stunod
Exactly. These things bother you and me, and a few other people. I'm sure they have those things that are their pet peeves; grammar and spelling just aren't two of them (or is it 'those?'

Think it's "those," because with the "to be" verb "are (not)," it is a predicate adjective, and should be in the subjective. "Them" is objective. :laughing:

Being someone that 1) Sucked royally in English (got C's & D's in it. And scored a 45% on the ACT). I don't bother with correcting others mistakes. 2) I live in forum and chatrooms constantly. I have talked, err typed with many people that are not American. English is their second language. To see no instead of know use to throw me for a loop. But I learned to read through it. I also feel that words no matter how they are spelled, as long as they correctly portray the idea that you are attempting to contribute to others is understood. Then the words no matter how they are spelled, or gramatized (if that is a word), they have served their purpose.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rest can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Exactly. These things bother you and me, and a few other people. I'm sure they have those things that are their pet peeves; grammar and spelling just aren't two of them (or is it 'those?'

Think it's "those," because with the "to be" verb "are (not)," it is a predicate adjective, and should be in the subjective. "Them" is objective. :laughing:

I thought it might be 'those,' only because I referred to 'those' earlier in the sentence. But the logic in that is probably flawed. Non-existent even. LOL

And to be honest, I don't pay much attention to spelling or correcting typos when I'm in chat. I just want to type it as quickly as possible and get my thought conveyed. When I'm in chat, I don't capitalize or use punctuation.

Being someone that 1) Sucked royally in English (got C's & D's in it. And scored a 45% on the ACT). I don't bother with correcting others mistakes. 2) I live in forum and chatrooms constantly. I have talked, err typed with many people that are not American. English is their second language. To see no instead of know use to throw me for a loop. But I learned to read through it. I also feel that words no matter how they are spelled, as long as they correctly portray the idea that you are attempting to contribute to others is understood. Then the words no matter how they are spelled, or gramatized (if that is a word), they have served their purpose.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rest can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

My children are grown, and even the one who "sucked at English" knows what is correct, but speaks in common vernacular - as I often do. I never correct others directly, unless it is in a teaching situation. I correct spelling papers, etc. I do remember my son correcting a college student's grammar - when he was about three. From habit.

I find it fascinating that the brain can either skip much of the word, or quickly unscramble. For the most part, reading the above doesn't even slow you down. :laughing:

My favorite mistakes revolve around the whole "there, their, they're" things as you've already mentioned. Second up are commas (and this will liekly raise debate).

Today Bob, Fred, and I went geocaching.

or

We sell hats, shirts, and travel bugs.

NOT:

Today Bob, Fred and I went geocaching.

or

We sell hats, shirts and travel bugs.

Fred, and I aren't a singular entity. Plus I don't swing that way. Also the shirts, and travel bugs aren't sold as a singular item they're sold seperately.

Thorin

Edited by thorin
"Me and so and so found the cache..." bugs me instead of "So and so and I found the cache..."

Zack

I used to work side-by-side with someone who did that. And she was a very social girl with a lot of friends.

Actually, where I live, it's almost the rule, rather than the exception. I occasionally have the opportunity to discuss with students how their environment formulates their abilities. If Mom, Dad, and Uncle Charlie say, "He done it," then they will also. People in NY don't speak just as people in Oh.

Jeff Foxworthy has said, his Uncle wrote M-a-l-e on the Mail box as a joke, "...nobody got it.

Oh ya that's a good one too. When to use I and when to use me.

It's simple remove the other people (person) from the sentence and if it sounds right with whichever you, you chose then it's right. (Ya I know that sentence doesn't read very well but I'm sure you can all figure it out).

For Example:

Ange, Liz, and me went shopping.

or

Me, Liz, and Ange went shopping.

(Me went shopping. ...... You guessed WRONG).

Ange, Liz, and I went shopping.

(I went shopping. ..... You guessed RIGHT).

Thorin

My favorite mistakes revolve around the whole "there, their, they're" things as you've already mentioned. Second up are commas (and this will liekly raise debate).

Today Bob, Fred, and I went geocaching.

or

We sell hats, shirts, and travel bugs.

NOT:

Today Bob, Fred and I went geocaching.

or

We sell hats, shirts and travel bugs.

Fred, and I aren't a singular entity. Plus I don't swing that way. Also the shirts, and travel bugs aren't sold as a singular item they're sold seperately.

Thorin

Actually, the rules on commas have changed. I'm with you, thorin, but one of my daughter's English teachers informed me a few years ago that rules of punctuation have undergone some recent revisions. She didn't agree with the changes, either, but she's required to teach them.

I still like the old rules.

Actually the Oxford Comma is the quote/unquote new way. Here's another example.

Suppose young lady places an ad in the 'Personals' section telling us that she enjoys dining out, long hikes in the woods, holding hands and playing the guitar. I've played the guitar, and let me tell you, it is definately going to be difficult to hold hands and play the guitar. Or what if she told us that she enjoys dining out, hikes in the woods, holding hands and riding motorcycles. OUCH!

Obviously your daughter has to do whatever gets her marks in the class, however painful that may be to the rest of us...... UGH!

And what about 'broke' and 'broken?'
Ok maybe I'm over complicating this as I think about it. But what about them?

Thorin

Edited by thorin
I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar as well, but I would never email a cacher to correct any errors in a log. There are a lot of commone spelling and gramatical errors out there

common...and...grammatical

I'm betting you both did that on porpoise.

NOT trying to put anyone down here, but it seems like this is a valid and harmless venting place if we're not naming names. As someone mentioned above, "I could of been their all day hunting that cache." :(

Ha ha! Busted! And no I didn't actually do it on porpoise! LOL That quote belongs to me, and I remember carefully checking for errors before I posted! :laughing: Obviously didn't check well enough, did I? :( I blame it on posting before I've had my second cup of coffee in the morning! Yeah, that works. :blink:

Edited to add something!

Edited by Pilgrim, Rhubarb, & Sweet Pea

Oh, she's a senior in college now, and that was in high school.

In the example you gave, I think it would be acceptable to not use the comma, since it's pretty clear that you can't hold hands and play the guitar. Most punctuation serves the purpose of clarification. If there's a doubt as to what is intended, the 'new rule' says to punctuate it!

Oh, I've got a headache now.................... (and how's that for an improper ellipse? :laughing: )

If we had an OT forum, this thread would be in it!  :laughing:

FLAME! FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME! :blink:

Keeping it on topic did anyone notice that grammer?

Edited by Beta Test