Gc Grammar And Spelling

If we had an OT forum, this thread would be in it!  :blink:

FLAME! FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME! :(

Keeping it on topic did anyone notice that grammer?

And how about that spelling?

G-R-A-M-M-A-R :laughing:

Okay, I'll bite. What's wrong with the grammar?

I agree with Mopar.

I find it amusing that I often type cache instead of cash now. :laughing:

I don't have any pet peeves when reading, but I do find it funny that many people use "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

That has always bugged me, too, carleenp. Man, it's a wonder I can even make it through the day with all these communication errors! LOLOLOL!!

I have the most difficult time typing the name 'Kyle.' My real name is VERY close to that, and I have a hard time stopping with that first 'e.' LOL

If we had an OT forum, this thread would be in it!  :(

FLAME! FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME; FLAME! :(

I meant mime! :blink:

How about this one that many people from the Midwest (including me) are guilty of: ending a sentence with a preposition.

"I'm going caching. Who wants to go with?"

I don't know where you're from, stunod, but you won't hear that in THIS part of the Midwest. We have friends from Wisconsin, and another from Chicago that all do that. It drives me crazy! Go with WHOM?!?!?!?!?

If we had an OT forum, this thread would be in it!  :(

I meant mime! :blink:

:(

Oh, she's a senior in college now, and that was in high school.

In the example you gave, I think it would be acceptable to not use the comma, since it's pretty clear that you can't hold hands and play the guitar. Most punctuation serves the purpose of clarification. If there's a doubt as to what is intended, the 'new rule' says to punctuate it!

Oh, I've got a headache now.................... (and how's that for an improper ellipse? :laughing: )

Ya my comma example was exagerated for illustrative purposes.

INCORRECT: That toy is broke.

CORRECT: That toy is broken.

UGH that's sad. Do students not take reading comprehension anymore?

Thorin

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rest can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I'm betting it took you longer to type this way than to do it correctly. :laughing: I was, however, able to read it better than I would have thought.

How about this one that many people from the Midwest (including me) are guilty of: ending a sentence with a preposition.

"I'm going caching. Who wants to go with?"

It's not even a frickin real question.

"Who wants to go with ______________ ?"

Me? Us? Guns? Fred? Them?

I know what they're/you're implying but it's as if the extra sylable is going to kill them.

If someone asked me that question I'd probably reply. "With what?"

Thorin

"I'm going caching.  Who wants to go with?"

It's not even a frickin real question.

"Who wants to go with ______________ ?"

Me? Us? Guns? Fred? Them?

I know what they're/you're implying but it's as if the extra sylable is going to kill them.

If someone asked me that question I'd probably reply. "With what?"

Thorin

I have a friend from Philly who will sit there and stare at me waiting for that last word. :laughing:

Edited by Stunod
I think this whole thing is just pointless....it's a moo point.

:(

*groan*

Sorry - couldn't resist Joey's line from Friends. :laughing:

Full quote:

Joey: Rach, you gotta find out if he's in the same place you are. Otherwise, it's just a moo point.

Rachel: A moo point?

Joey: Yeah. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

Rachel: Have I been living with him too long or did that all just make sense?

How about the word 'irregardless'? Why do people say irregardless instead of regardless?

Another one I hear misused all the time is 'thaw'..."I want to make chicken tonight, but I forgot to take it out of the freezer to dethaw." Dethaw? Doesn't that mean you want to freeze it? :blink:

Edited by Pilgrim, Rhubarb, & Sweet Pea

There's one more I have to add. At the risk of offending everyone south of Seattle, it's the word/phrase/??? "You-all" or "Y'all". Such as: "How y'all doing?" Especially annoying when there is only one person being addressed. I usually respond with "Me-all are doing fine!".

Let's not forget my Old West favorites, "hanged" and "hung"...

I might be wrong, but I think that when you are referring to a person on the end of a rope, it's mostly "hanged"...

That picture was hanged, that man was hanged! Stockings were hanged by....

Just a quick comma comment: when I was young the comma before the "and" was optional, now students are taught to use it.

Full quote:

Joey: Rach, you gotta find out if he's in the same place you are. Otherwise, it's just a moo point.

Rachel: A moo point?

Joey: Yeah. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

Rachel: Have I been living with him too long or did that all just make sense?

Thank you for explaining that!

There's one more I have to add. At the risk of offending everyone south of Seattle, it's the word/phrase/??? "You-all" or "Y'all". Such as: "How y'all doing?" Especially annoying when there is only one person being addressed. I usually respond with "Me-all are doing fine!".

Not only do you risk irking Seattle, you are taking a shot at the entire southern U.S. There is nothing wrong with y'all.

:blink: I am happy to report that I have NEVER seen in a log or post, "She gots a new Garmin Etrex. My biggest cringe over that one, and most Ohioans say it. However, in one post above, "I've got it," instead of "I have it." :laughing:

The only Ohioans that I've heard say that are Ohio toddlers. :(

Let me axe you a question, does it bother anyone when the word "ask" isn't pronounced correctly?

Especially by an English teacher? No, I'm serious. Not only that, she's the lead teacher of the English department in a local high school.

South Carolina :laughing:

Let me axe you a question, does it bother anyone when the word "ask" isn't pronounced correctly?

YES! Just like when people seriously say words like "libary" and "ignant".

I'm reading this forum to Pilgrim who's behind me, and when I read the post about 'axe' he said, "Yeah, and what about 'libary?'. :laughing:

Drives me up the wall when people talk that way. An accent or dialect from region to region is one thing, but complete mispronunciation of a word tends to make people sound ignorant. Especially for an English teacher!

Pet Peeves:

1) Writing "suppose to" instead of "supposed to."

2) Writing "should of" instead of "Should've" - I've seen published pulitzer prize winning authors do this (and no it wasn't in dialogue).

3) Pardon my French if you type "Wha-la," "walla," "wah-lah" instead of voila

4) Pardon my French again but it's "Creme de la creme" instead of "Crem de la crem"

5) In Texas, "y'all" is the correct singular form for "you." It does not mean "you all," the plural as in other parts of the south. "All y'all" is the correct plural form.

:laughing:

My personal peeve is the incorrect use of "eg" and "ie"

That's one I usually have to look up . As I understand it, i.e. means "in other words" and e.g. means "for example". Very diferent, but the meanings can overlap.

You shouldn't have to look those up anymore! I gave you a good way to remember those! :laughing:

Not only do you risk irking Seattle, you are taking a shot at the entire southern U.S. There is nothing wrong with y'all.

Thanks, I thought I was OK too. It's "all y'all" that I'm worried about.

And what about my Mom's folks down th' River (Ohio): yu'ns...'er...yunze...you-uns, Oh, How do you spell yuns??

QUOTE (rusty_tlc @ Jul 7 2004, 06:53 PM)

QUOTE (Pipanella @ Jul 7 2004, 01:21 PM)

QUOTE (clearpath @ Jul 7 2004, 05:18 PM)

It really bother's myself alot when people don't capitolize there forum name ...

Yeah, THAT is wrong in so many ways. ph34r.gif

laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif

Whats so wrong about that? huh.gif It makes logging on faster.

Did you LOOK at that sentence?? good post on that sentence. :(

However, "myself" in subjective and "me" is objective. "It bothers me."

I'm reading this forum to Pilgrim who's behind me, and when I read the post about 'axe' he said, "Yeah, and what about 'libary?'.

I seen the libary gots a cracked chimley. :laughing::blink:

My pet peeve is people that pick apart minor grammar and spelling mistakes in forum posts and cache logs. With cache logs, I'm just glad someone logged it online.

When it comes to forum posts, it seems the people that work the hardest to pick apart another poster's spelling or grammar are the ones that have nothing better to contribute to the discussion.

I'm with you on that one.

I'll usually make up a new word if regular English doesn't fit exactly what I want to say.

SNOOG9.jpg

5) In Texas, "y'all" is the correct singular form for "you." It does not mean "you all," the plural as in other parts of the south.  "All y'all" is the correct plural form.

:laughing:

Okay, I was born in the Midwest, raised in Arizona, but have spent 20-plus years in Texas. Very few educated Texans say "y'all" when referring to one person. Many, if not most, educated Texans do use "y'all" when referring to the second person plural. It is actually a pretty useful term (I'm tempted to say "downright handy!").

When a client of mine from New York told me he had lived in Texas for 3 years, I joked, "Long enough to know the meaning of 'y'all'." He answered, "I even know the plural of "y'all." When I looked puzzled, he told me, "All y'all."

"All y'all" gets a laugh from us Texans.