Jobs

I'm another one in the medical profession - a nurse on a cardio-thoracic ward at a private hospital and Bob is in Telematics, working for a company that does tracking systems for vehicles.

He is the gadget freak and the one that got us into geocaching whilst doing some internet searching for work.

Sarah x

I think I've covered everything ...

Do you actually have time to go out Caching???? :):D

No.

Oh look, Ok, yes, but I thought if I tried adding any more activities to the list people might think I was showing off. :)

I'm a motorcycle courier based in central London, but it gets me out all over the country. Buying a GPS unit was 50% for work and 50% for pleasure - then a friend (who doesn't geocache or even have a GPSr) introduced me to Geocaching a month ago. Introduced my girlfriend to it a couple of weeks ago, and now I never hear anything about not really having needed to buy my new toy (Garmin iQue3600)! Even gives me a look if i've gone and found a chache without her! Might have to get her her own little Geko or something! :)

Edited by kilotwo
Introduced my girlfriend to it a couple of weeks ago............

........might have to get her her own little Geko or something! :D

Take it from another old biker.... Once you introduced your girlfriend to it, there's no way she going to accept her own 'little' anything :lol:

Size matters !!!!

:huh::D:D

Shift supervisor for an injection moulding company. We make battery cases and have been for the last 26years for my sins. But yes have a liking for gadgets and gizmos. :lol:

Have you ever sent some poor new-hire on a search for a sprue stretcher?

I've been building and repaiiring molds since 1968. :D

Shift supervisor for an injection moulding company. We make battery cases and have been for the last 26years for my sins. But yes have a liking for gadgets and gizmos. :lol:

I've been building and repaiiring molds since 1968. :D

That reminds me of one of my 'voluntary' jobs back stage in theatre (techie time again). We send our rookies to get a 'long weight'!

Fools them all - no exception.

The Hokesters...

Shift supervisor for an injection moulding company. We make battery cases and have been for the last 26years for my sins. But yes have a liking for gadgets and gizmos. :D

I've been building and repaiiring molds since 1968. :lol:

That reminds me of one of my 'voluntary' jobs back stage in theatre (techie time again). We send our rookies to get a 'long weight'!

Fools them all - no exception.

The Hokesters...

Eckington Posted on May 17 2004, 11:27 PM

......years ago, when I was an operating theatre technician at Chetsrfield Royal we used to send student nurses to stores for a fallopian tube   

Just to add a few - Glass hammer, Left handed screwdriver, Sky hook, Long stand but one of the best ones that get done in the military is - You give someone a sledge hammer and tell them to take it somewhere but first they must take this note to the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) and wait for the reply, The note usually read somewhere along the lines of - I am sick of this place all ready, I want you to give me 4 weeks leave immediately or i'm going to smash you over the head with this sledge hammer. Despite the fact the RSM knew it was a joke, he would be immediately on the war path. :o:D:D

Self employed consultant - I make chemicals work in paper mills (mainly) and advise chemical companies on marketing their chemicals to the paper industry. This takes me all over the world - just got back from Pakistan. I am afraid I also sell a bit of software on the side - but could not programme to save my life.

Oh, and I like gadgets too.

Stan

A DeputyDawg :rolleyes: !!...and we used to get the new starts to phone a number (the zoo!) and ask for Mr Lyons re a faulty pelican crossing, or during heavy snowfalls have them sweep snow from the black sections, only, of local pedestrian crossings.

Oh.. and clear snow from the orange bulb on the top...and if you had to travel by bus, get them to check the passengers tickets, and even being sent an errand round to the local ironmonger to buy a can of tartan paint, or a new bubble for a spirit level, and as mentioned the ubiquitous skyhook, obviousley!

Cheers DD

I'm a sort of journalist (I write for an IT trade mag called Indie and also Erotic Trade Only - which takes me to some interesting places and meeting some very interesting people!) as well as an occasional web designer and photographer. I've been a gadget-gimp for years and currently own just the three digital cameras. It's been as high as 5...

SP :rolleyes:

To add more to the list, we once sent this young stores lad to do a palletiser test, he fell for it and and a couple of days later, we set him up again.

We told him that he was the only available licenced palletiser operator and stores over the other side of the airfield had a pallet load of "contaminated oxygen" they had to get moved to another part of the airfield urgently.

The contaminated oxygen was actually plastic bags filled with compressed air and taped up, but they had been labelled up with various hazard stickers. This poor lad trundled about a mile with the pallet truck to stores, then another mile or so with the pallet. when he arrived, a cordonned off area had been set up, and he was told to be very careful placing the pallet as the gas could be dangerous. Poor kid never twigged it was a set-up, not even afterwards. So we got him a nice certificate of thanks made for his heroic actions.

This was during my time in the airforce. Others we did were water polo boots, wood magnet, long stand, 10 metre of felopian tube (called ahead and made sure a female stores person was waiting), Tartan Paint. I always wanted someone to send me for a sky hook, as we had big cranes on base, that could have dropped a hook over the roof of a hangar and made it look like I had got one.

Another favourite was to send someone out to check an aircraft that was away on detatchment. I admit to falling for that one, they sent me to check an aircraft that was actually in the Falklands, I spent nearly 2 hours going up and down the apron looking for this plane. Joke was on them in the end, a last minute job came up while I was out, and they had to do it one man short :rolleyes:

Bubble for a spirit level died a death when someone actually came back with one (there's a NATO part number for it)

There were also a couple of times I thought I was being wound up, and it turned out to be real. Just before the Gulf war, I was sent to find a Pink Hercules, turns out it had just been painted desert camoflage pink.

My apologies for any off topic behaviour, but it seemed to follow the conversation.

Edited by Volvo Man

We're not in IT either, Marks a shop manager and i'm a teaching assistant in a special needs school. Mark bought a gps just after christmas as an aid for walking and we stumbled into geocaching after searching on the net and became hooked, especially me who's not into gadgets or tech stuff!!!!!!!

Elaine (half of the grunnies)

Well, job wise I'm a professional first-aider and I also work in technical theatre and as a roadie from time to time, plus bits and pices of office work and warehouse work/driving.

I've also personally seen a:

Long Stand

Long Weight

Pot of Elbow Grease

Bag of rocking horse [poo]

Sky Hook

Glass Hammer

Left-handed screwdriver

Monochrome videotape

Dark bulb

2metres of Pachyderm Trunking

Which kind of ruins the wind up potential finding the real items, but it does make the storesmasters day when he gets to send the apprentice back with the noted item for the foreman still trying an old joke.

Ephrael's a civil servant (for local governmant), and Spooky-CSI who we're often with is a Forensic Scientist and Expedition Leader!

OK i admit i'm in "IT"!! phew thats me outted, been in a cold sweat about this thread, wasn't always "IT" spent time as a Blacksmith then best part of 22 years in jungle, desert, artic tundra and the Rhine, but now got a job with windows and a window with a pair of bino's watching my latest cache 2.54cm or is it an Inch!, tried a webcam distance 650 metres to great. unless someone knows better!

I'm an IT manager, and two local cacher friends (friends first, caching came after I introduced them to it) work in non-IT jobs. One is a carpenter, and the other hand-makes performance stainless exhaust pipes for modified street cars.

Long Stand

Long Weight

Pot of Elbow Grease

Bag of rocking horse [poo]

Sky Hook

Glass Hammer

Left-handed screwdriver

Monochrome videotape

Dark bulb

2metres of Pachyderm Trunking

One of the suppliers I use for my studio equipment is Canford Audio, and one of the things they sell is an earth spike, for hammering into the ground at an outside recording or broadcast event so as to provide a local earth connection for all the equipment.

The spike, which is their stock code 42-991, is fine as it goes, but then you read in the catalogue that the spike "is intended to be fitted with our Earth Spike Fitting Tool, stock code 55-991.

The people that write the canford catalogue have a wicked sense of humour, and the whole catalogue is peppered with tongue-in-cheek references and jovial quips.

No I'm not advertising them, since it is unlikely that many people reading this are going to want the sort of things they sell... Except these fine spike fitting tools.

No I'm not advertising them, since it is unlikely that many people reading this are going to want the sort of things they sell... Except these fine spike fitting tools.

Slightly digressing,

I've always wanted one of the rack mounted fridges that they sell and I've never managed to pluck enough courage up to actually put a requisition in for one.

Mark S.

Team Nottrikk

Not really into IT, can use it for what I need to but don't explore it further. Haven't even got a mobile phone. But I'm really into my little etrex!! Possibly the only gadget I have ever enjoyed using. We are a happy couple!

Teach science for a living, but background is biology rather than physics (usually seen to be the more "technological" one of the sciences), so I've been enjoying getting back to nature whilst out and about seeking caches. However, I was really into geography at school, especially mapping, so this is a big part of geocachings appeal for me. Plus, OK I'll admit it - I do like solving puzzles too!

When I worked in hotels during my college days we used to sent trainees out for "Lobster Guns" ("You see, it's more humane than dropping them in hot water") or "Buckets of Guinness Gas". ("Those pints are terrible- can someone go for more gas").

The Guinness Gas one was funnier as we used to ring the next place - so if we sent someone to the Great Southern Hotel we would call them,they would tell our trainee that they had none to spare and he would would be told that the Foster Court Hotel had some, this would repleat itself and at long last someone halfway across town would hand the guy a bucket with a cloth over it and be told that if he moved the cloth or dropped the bucket the resulting explosion would kill him.

Once the poor lad had returned we would get him to hand over the bucket and promptly 'drop it' - and once we had a guy dive head first out the door to get away from the impending 'explosion'.