Caches In Need Of Adoption

gpsfun

Up for Adoption:

Whitaker Woods Cache (GCK4V1)

North Conway, NH

Hi everyone,

Tracy and I want to announce that we will be pulling up stakes and traveling the country sometime in the near future (hopefully). Even though we plan to be back here in Mt. Washington Valley during the summer months, we hate to leave this Cache unsupervised during the winter. Therefore, we would like to place this Cache up for adoption. If you're interested, just let us know and we'll start the process right away.

Thank you,

Jeff and Tracy

Up for Adoption:

Whitaker Woods Cache (GCK4V1)

North Conway, NH

Hi everyone,

Tracy and I want to announce that we will be pulling up stakes and traveling the country sometime in the near future (hopefully). Even though we plan to be back here in Mt. Washington Valley during the summer months, we hate to leave this Cache unsupervised during the winter. Therefore, we would like to place this Cache up for adoption. If you're interested, just let us know and we'll start the process right away.

Thank you,

Jeff and Tracy

:DUPDATE:

This cache has been adopted. Thank you for your interest.

Jeff and Tracy

We recently adopted Birdsong-n-bud's The Johnson Massacre cache. (Refinds are allowed by the way.) She just doesn't have the time anymore to cache or maintain. Her caches have always been so popular & its a shame to see more & more of them archived. I've received emails from cachers stating they feel the same way.

If anyone is interested in adopted one or some of hers, I would bet she would really appreciate it. :laughing: She was a joy to work with.

GCK5NP Cards and Toys is a cache that the owner said they would repair on November 26, 2006. They have not been back since. The cache location is in a wonderful park that I frequently visit. The caches located in this park are very popular. I would like to adopt this cache so that this cache is made available to others once again. How would I go about doing this? I have commented on the site but there has not been any response from geocaching.com. I also sent a request to adopt to the owner but they have not responded either. What should I do now?

GCK5NP Cards and Toys is a cache that the owner said they would repair on November 26, 2006. They have not been back since. The cache location is in a wonderful park that I frequently visit. The caches located in this park are very popular. I would like to adopt this cache so that this cache is made available to others once again. How would I go about doing this? I have commented on the site but there has not been any response from geocaching.com. I also sent a request to adopt to the owner but they have not responded either. What should I do now?

I think you meant GCK6NP.

This cache is in Ohio, and this topic is really for New England adoptions, but I'll add a few comments.

1) This post in the Geocaching FAQs has useful information about how to adopt a cache.

2) It is entirely possible that the local reviewer is unaware of the situation ('Needs Maintenance' logs, and notes posted on the cache page, are not forwarded to the reviewer). I would say that an SBA log (which would get copied to the reviewer) would be appropriate at this time, since it has been almost a year since the owner said a replacement was necessary.

---------------

We have a couple caches up for adoption in the Sturbridge/Southbridge, MA area. We prefer that they are adopted by someone who has already done them. If you adopt them, we'll email you all the data on each cache. If you're interested, please email me privately (rather than here in the forums) at birdsong123(at)aol(dot)com.

1) Walks Like an Egyptian cache (GCNY60). It doesn't appear to need any maintenance, but the army corps sent me the following email (below), and I just don't have the time to meet with him.

2) Swallowed Whole (GCM5AK), one of my first caches, I'm sad to see this one go, but the Army Corps also wants to visit this one. It's in Southbridge at Westville Dam. Easy to maintain if you live in the area. Does not need any maintenance at this time.

If you are interested in adopting any of these caches, let me know privately and I'll send all the necessary electronic files with all the information on the sites that was posted for the website and the administrator (answers to the puzzles, etc.)

Adopting these will require a visit with the Army Corps as indicated below, just to show they are in a safe place (and both are very safe).

Thanks so much, and have a wonderful holiday season.

Birdsong-n-Bud

-============ note from the army corps below =====================

This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

Geocacher,

The Army Corps of Engineers, East Brimfield Lake project office, is initiating a new program to help us keep track of the many geocaches that are placed on Corps land at the East Brimfield, Westville, and Conant Brook flood control areas.

The program requires that all geocaches placed on Corps property be approved by our office and issued a free permit. A permit will only be issued after the cache location has been inspected and recorded by a Park Ranger from our project.

Please note that we are not trying to discourage geocaching on Corps property. It is a fun and unique way to enjoy the trails and lands at our projects. The goals of this program are to keep us aware of the caches that we have on the property, to be sure that the caches are hidden in safe locations and away from any hazardous areas, and to help us improve communication with the geocache community.

Please contact Park Ranger Matthew Coleman via email at Matthew.S.Coleman@usace.army.mil for information about obtaining a permit the caches you currently have on corps land. This would specifically be the "Walks Like an Egyptian" cache near Brimfield Dam, and the "Swallowed Whole" cache at Westville Rec Area.

Again, the permits are free of charge, and are now required for all caches on Corps property.

Thank you very much for your cooperation,

Matthew Coleman

Park Ranger

E. Brimfield/Westville Lakes

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=a6...07-e3565e4846ab

Geko Trekkers are moving down South in a month, and need to have several

caches adopted. They are as follows:

Pierpont Puzzler-Dudley, MA

One for the Boys, One for the Girls, and Mother of All Caches in

Pittsfield State Forest-Pittsfield, MA

Back to School in October in October Mountain State Forest-Lee, MA

Clarendon Cache-Clarendon, VT

Slate Slide-Castleton/Bomoseen, VT

These are all active caches that should be fully stocked, but we will

send a package of goodies for the first 'refill'. Please email

ddlysharrett@aol.com if you are interested as the forum responses don't

seem to be working.

Thanks!

I just moved to the area and am looking for caches that need to be adopted. Is there a list out there of all the adoptable caches? I live in the Southern Maine (Norway, South Paris, Oxford, Buckfield, Minot, LA area) and also looking for cache partners to go hunting with. Thank you.

RC

I just moved to the area and am looking for caches that need to be adopted. Is there a list out there of all the adoptable caches? I live in the Southern Maine (Norway, South Paris, Oxford, Buckfield, Minot, LA area) and also looking for cache partners to go hunting with. Thank you.

RC

Have you joined the mainegeocachingassociation.com website? I think that it's a pretty active site for Maine cachers -- you might be able to find some local caching buddies there.

I have had one of my caches, Spring Farm, disabled for way too long. It is one of the older caches in the area. The original owner of this cache got permission (way back) to walk up a side of a field to the cache, but several months ago, a no trespassing sign has gone up. I have no idea whose this is and I have no time to try and figure it out. I am going to be busy with another young Geocacher soon and would love to give someone else the opportunity to keep this one going. The cache is still in place. If you want to adopt this cache and figure out the no trespassing issue, please e-mail me! Thanks!

Edited by Want2bemore

Wondering if anyone would like to adopt Perry Mountain GCHV0E in Shawme-Crowell State Forest, Sandwich MA off Route 130. It needs a new log book and is damp. We used to travel near the area more often. If someone would like to have it and use the same container they would be welcome to it. A few new caches have come up in the area, so it is visited often. Thanks :D

I will be archiving all of my caches (except the Mystic ones) in CT because I will be moving to North Carolina after Thanksgiving. If anyone is interested in adopting my four Mystic, CT caches, please contact me via my email link on my profile page.

G13

Don't archive them. Leave them. It would be a shame to see caches disappear. People will adopt them too.

I'm not leaving as soon as I thought so I'll be placing some new and improved caches in the areas of the archived ones!

Wondering if anyone would like to adopt Perry Mountain GCHV0E in Shawme-Crowell State Forest, Sandwich MA off Route 130. It needs a new log book and is damp. We used to travel near the area more often. If someone would like to have it and use the same container they would be welcome to it. A few new caches have come up in the area, so it is visited often. Thanks :blink:

OK BUMPUSREADER has agreed to adopt Perry Mountain, :D but I cannot get the adoption site easily :blink: and when I was there, I could not click on the bottom of the message to allow him to adopt the cache. :blink: Any help would be greatfully accepted: Like how to get to the adoption site easily and how to make it happen. Thanks :D

Wondering if anyone would like to adopt Perry Mountain GCHV0E in Shawme-Crowell State Forest, Sandwich MA off Route 130. It needs a new log book and is damp. We used to travel near the area more often. If someone would like to have it and use the same container they would be welcome to it. A few new caches have come up in the area, so it is visited often. Thanks :laughing:

OK BUMPUSREADER has agreed to adopt Perry Mountain, :sad: but I cannot get the adoption site easily :D and when I was there, I could not click on the bottom of the message to allow him to adopt the cache. :laughing: Any help would be greatfully accepted: Like how to get to the adoption site easily and how to make it happen. Thanks :sad:

Not knowing the details of the issues you encountered, first assuming you are signed in to the account that owns the cache, here are the instructions that work:

To have another geocacher adopt your cache, please go to this web page: www.geocaching.com/adopt

Once there, enter the waypoint number (GC?????) of the cache and the geocaching account name of the person you want to take ownership. The system will generate an e-mail to the prospective new owner, and once that person clicks on the acceptance link the ownership transfer is complete.

I used this twice yesterday to transfer ownership of some things and it works very well.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

Thanks so for the helpful information for adoption. I now can find the site easily and found out that I was not clicking on "look up username" after that it made the "send adoption request" clickable. This has taken me months, now all I need is BUMPUSREADER to reply to my request............Thanks again :lol:

I will help in any way possible; not that I am the fastest at maintenance. I have enjoyed each and everyone one of your puzzles plus hides. Many of these caches are the closest to my home GZ. Maybe FTF should be my qualifier. After you hold back a few and others offer to help with a some, we could probably take care of the rest.

Will send you a note.

V

I visited a cache from a banned member today, GC11TOK, that is in need of a little maintenance if it is going to stay in circulation. How do I go about adopting the cache? I can't wait for him to put it up for adoption...

I would be interested in taking over his other two caches as well, they are all local.

There is an ownership transfer process that cache owners can use but given the owner's status that process is not available to him. If you can get the cache owner to write to you from the e-mail account registered to his profile with a statement specifically giving you permission to adopt one or more of his caches, you may forward the e-mail to me and I will work with Groundspeak to see what can be done.

You may contact me through my profile.

How do you adopt a cache?

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

GO$Rs

Alas, this only works for caches that are still active.. If it is unavailable or archived, It won't accept it.

I just recently saw on one that is Archived, that the owner has placed it up for adoption..

GC2E6A GC-04 (located in West Hartford, CT., USA) The remains of the cache were still on site, and not much different than how I found them when the cache was active.. (plastic Sterilite box, (not a Ammo Can as the original text says), cracked, and water-logged (and since it's winter, Frozen!) I offered the adopt it, but the owner hasn't written backl.. I've already replaced the cache with a bare minimum until I finish thawing the remains of the old cache. (the log book, and a box of crayons inside covered in Toxic Black Mold) a poor site indeed..

But, as I said, the owner has yet to respond back. the local reviewer, has not sent anything yet. the cache remains archived..

Stephen (gelfling6)

Alas, this only works for caches that are still active.. If it is unavailable or archived, It won't accept it.

I just recently saw on one that is Archived, that the owner has placed it up for adoption..

Stephen (gelfling6)

My question would be why are people searching for an archived cache that seemed to be in dire need of maintenance?

Reviewers do not un-archive a listing for the purpose of adoption. I understand your desire to preserve one of the historic caches in the state however when the cache owner archived the listing the window for adoption closed. The remains of the archived cache are property of the cache owner and should be cleaned up.

The area is obviously special, why not create a new cache listing for everyone to enjoy the area again.

My question would be why are people searching for an archived cache that seemed to be in dire need of maintenance?

Reviewers do not un-archive a listing for the purpose of adoption. I understand your desire to preserve one of the historic caches in the state however when the cache owner archived the listing the window for adoption closed. The remains of the archived cache are property of the cache owner and should be cleaned up.

The area is obviously special, why not create a new cache listing for everyone to enjoy the area again.

The cache wasn't archived by the owner, but by the reviewer, in response to several reports of the condition of the cache. Alas, even after cleaning-up what I could un-freeze from the remains of the old cache, the items still wreaked of mold & mildew, even after soaking in pure Lysol. so, sorry to say, everything.. total loss..

*sigh*... guess i'll have to trek out to the site again, and recover the new box.. I never got a response from the owner.. They still have 1 remaining active cache, within a mile of this one.. It too, is getting to be poor shape.

Thanks, Stephen

Team KayRITJay is looking for any caches to adopt. We are currently planning our first hide, but we would love to adopt any caches in need in our area. We live near Stamford, CT and would be willing to adopt anything within 30 miles, maybe even a little further as we have family north of Danbury, CT. Feel free to contact us if there are any caches in need.

HI all! I haven't set my own cache up yet but would love to help someone else either by helping them set one up or adopting one that's already out there. I'm in the Bethel, CT area and can travel to surrounding towns. There are so many excellent caches here and people who set them up! I do know of one that has been 'lost' for 6 months. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Caching. I've emailed the owner but haven't gotten a response yet. Any ideas? Thanks!

Would anyone like to adopt First North American Geocache (GCHC22)?

As its name states, it is North America's first geocache. It was placed by Leif Erikson, shortly after he sailed up the Charles River to what is now Weston and Waltham, MA. It is very close to the Mass Pike and I-95.

The container was recently muggled, so a new owner would have to set out a new one. If there are no takers by June 30, I will just archive the cache.

As its name states, it is North America's first geocache. It was placed by Leif Erikson, shortly after he sailed up the Charles River to what is now Weston and Waltham, MA. It is very close to the Mass Pike and I-95.

The container was recently muggled, so a new owner would have to set out a new one. If there are no takers by June 30, I will just archive the cache.

Went out and replaced it. I am willing to adopt it if that is your wish.

Went out and replaced it. I am willing to adopt it if that is your wish.

That is my wish. I wish you well in your new ownership. The cache gets a reasonable amount of traffic from out-of-town business travelling cachers because of the nearby Marriott and the proximity to the Pike and I-95, so the visits haven't dwindled, like on some of the other caches I own.

I will look into initiating the cache ownership transfer. Feel free to update the cache page html in whatever way you like.

Thanks!

edit: Adoption request sent to ghettomedic.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Many NEFF caches are now up for adoption! (These are, for the most part, wonderful caches through great wooded areas.)

Here's an email I just got. I do have Nate's permission to post it. Please contact him directly at NCyrus@newenglandforestry.org

I no longer live near any of these but I thought some members of the geocaching community would want to preserve these wonderful caches. I know that the Townes Forest is an almost magical place, quite different from the civilized woods seen in Southern NH.

Paul

---------

Greetings Paul,

This is Nate Cyrus with the New England Forestry Foundation inquiring on your status as a geocache steward for the Kettle Pond- Townes Forest caches. I understand that there has been little to no contact in the past year, for which I apologize, however, It would be great to hear your status on monitoring (even if it is discontinued). Also I have included a list of other geocaches that are without stewards if you would like to switch, take on a new one, or perhaps know people in the areas who would be interested. Thank you for the help!

Sincerely,

Nate Cyrus

ORPHAN GEOCACHES

Beaver Meadow- Luce Forest (Winthrop, ME)

Rock Around The Pond- Rocky Pond (Boylston, MA)

Dog Central- Groton Place (Groton, MA)

Beaver Lookout- Hawk’s Hill Forest (East Barnard, VT)

Gale River Reserve- Gordon Forest (Lisbon, NH)

Mountain Spring- Rich Memorial Forest (Sandwich, NH)

Salty Flats- Arnold Family Forest (Freeport, ME)

Loon Nest- Allen Whitney Forest (Manchester, ME)

Heron Nest Pond- Mixter-Nields Forest (Hardwick, MA)

Moose Trail Creek- Horace Clark Forest (East Hartland, CT)

Moosewood Forest- Harnett Manhan Forest (East Hampton, MA)

Gilman Pond Dam- Bradley Draper Forest (Jaffrey, NH)

Beech Grove Gorge- Savage Forest (Reading, VT)

Timber Bluff Stream- Mountain Pond Forest (New Ipswich, NH)

Many NEFF caches are now up for adoption! (These are, for the most part, wonderful caches through great wooded areas.)

Dog Central- Groton Place (Groton, MA)

I got a similar email from Emily Heller (NEFF). I ended up volunteering to "monitor" the Groton Place cache. There was no mention of adoption though. I'm pretty certain NEFF will be posting something in the NE forum soon.

Hi Everyone:

I left MA in 2003 and my cache, Hapgood's Hopechest, was looked after since then by BluEyez. Unfortuantely, she is unable to look after it any more and I need someone else who might either be willing to adopt it, or go remove the cache and I will archive it.

Thank you,

Susan