Caches In Need Of Adoption

gpsfun

Greetings All,

If anyone has interest in adopting the Bushwhacking Betty cache at Betty's Neck in Lakeville, MA it is up for grabs. It is one of the first caches I placed and I have a special fondness for it, but I also have a special fondness for my remaining knee cartilage, so I will not be checking the cache any time soon.

Thanks,

JohnX

JC,

We have missed your company along the trails figuring you were busy with school and work. I remember our first encounter in West Warwick then on a few milestone jaunts plus a geomeet and/or CITO events. We will always remember your Trash cache, then Rhode Island first bug hotel, plus a few Providence Plantation micros, and super Christmas presents in Arcadia.

Here is the list of caches by the Man in Black.

I would have taken Prospect Terrace and Valley Falls, if they were not already archived.

The Wood River Travel Bug Inn should be adopted for sure, because among other reasons, if an out of stater is looking for one along I-95, this is the one they go for.

Maybe some team would grab your three in Arcadia - Santa's Toy Box, Camp Blood and Mount Tom. Unless someone comes through for Under the Stars, I had offered to helpout with those two already.

Hope to see you before you leave; maybe you can make the Geomeet this Sunday 7/17 afternoon in Uxbridge; wear a sign "Adopt my caches".

Sorry I had to post this here, I don't know how to get in touch with the admins directly.

There is a cache on top of Mt. Mansfield, VT Not Quite Under a Hill that has had 3 consecutive DNF's. The cache owner lists location as New Jersey, and has not logged on since 03/05/05

I have a two-fold question. I plan on making that hike shortly and was wondering what the ethics are of placing a small, log-only container where the cache is supposed to be, and second, whether this is a candidate for aspotion. It appears to be right near the summit of the highest point in VT, so it would be shame to not have a cache in the general area.

I did email the owner today, and will post any repsonses.

Thanks,

Mike

Edit: Further investigation reveals that this owner has four caches in upper new england. One has been archived and 2, including this one, have long strings of DNF's.

Another edit: email sent to owner was bounced back. Account is no longer active......

Edited by vulture19

Due to a drastic cut in funding this coming fiscal year, my job will not be taking me to Draper Labs in Cambridge, MA any more. Because of this, I am looking for someone to adopt my Fort Washington Cache (GCND4V).

It is a micro in a very cool little, historic, park. Let me know if you are interested. The container has migrated slightly at the location, and it appears the log is nearly full. I can provide details as to where the cache is located, and a Word document with a log sheet.

Thanks!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a3-e732fb02ff0c

GC7D.

Tha's right, 7D !! This is the second oldest cache in Massachusetts.

It might be fun to find out how old it ranks overall.

In any case, I adopted it from its' originator, woh was from Penn and had set it up while on a business trip. But hey, that was back before there *were* any rules. It would be nice for some great Mass cacher to adopt this. Is WaldenRun still out there doing his thing? Or maybe the owner of First Mass Cache would like to start an "oldest" collection? :D

Wow, it missed this guys oldest-100 list by 3, making it 103.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=h...kpublic/&e=9797

Subtracting the archived ones from that list, that puts it at 51 oldest, active cache in the WORLD.

Hmmm, maybe I should be selling this one on ebay.... or maybe I'm just getting carried away :laughing:

Well at least tell me how great I am for taking such good care of it for lo, these many years :D) LOL

But wait, this guy had it at 125 back in 2001. Heh, oh well, its' pretty darn old.

http://www.acme.com/jef/geocaching/oldest.html

Edited by Pluckers

Looking for a new owner for "Peak's Island Rock Park", Peak's Island, ME

peaks

Unfortunately I havne' been able to make it to Peak's Island for quite some time and am looking for someone to adopt my cache. Peak's Island is just a ferry ride away from Portland and is a great island to spend the afternoon on.

If interested, please contact me through this site and we can arrange a transfer or ownership.

Bldebabe

:blink: I think this cache is in need of adoption or archiving. Sleepy Head Its owner has not logged in for well over a year. The owner also appears to have a history of neglecting his caches. I have tried to contact the owner directly with an offer to take it over, but have not recieved a response. I frequent the park(that this is in)2-3 times a week and I was planning on placing another cache in this park only to noticed that this one was in need of assistance. The contents are in fair shape a little damp but okay. However the trade items are in bad need of replacement. Lots of scraps of paper or pure junk not worth trading etc. Its been on auto pilot since 2003 according to the logs.
:blink:  I think this cache is in need of adoption or archiving.  Sleepy Head  Its owner has not logged in for well over a year.  The owner also appears to have a history of neglecting his caches. I have tried to contact the owner directly with an offer to take it over, but have not recieved a response.  I frequent the park(that this is in)2-3 times a week and I was planning on placing another cache in this park only to noticed that this one was in need of assistance.  The contents are in fair shape a little damp but okay.  However the trade items are in bad need of replacement.  Lots of scraps of paper or pure junk not worth trading etc.  Its been on auto pilot since 2003 according to the logs.

Just because the contents are not what you think they should be is no reason to archive a cache.

IMNHO, the junk in the box has very little to do with the quality of the cache.

The real treasure is the location and the logs, not the McToys inside; and that cache is a gem. Most cache owners know this, and do not keep runing out and trying to upgrade the contents of the cache to your likings.

I'm sure if there was ever a real problem with that cache, there would be a slew of local caches willing to fix it.

Edited by Mopar

no I agree with you Mopar as to the fact that the real find is getting to this cache. which is why I frequent this park so much. I dont want to see it archived and dont think it will be. I think it needs a new owner thats all. Someone to respond when it needs something and a contact point for the land managers of this park givin its locations recent and ever increasing events. Would you not agree with that? I am aware of howmany active people watch this cache.

The real treasure is the location and the logs,

I agree with Mopar after looking at the most recent logs it seems that quite a few

people are still enjoying this cache and that's what its all about.

Log quotes :

(All in all it was a nice hike to the head)

(This turned out to be one of my favorite caches

( had some wonderful views and an unexpected amount of quality exercise)

(This was a very nice hike on a weekday)

( Good cache, beautiful day for hiking )

(how exciting! Beautiful hike, great views, and enough steep terrain to keep me

interested!)

I must do this cache someday.

I think you guys have misunderstood me completely. People do and will enjoy this cache no matter what condition its in. It would be enjoyed just as much if it were a virtual cacheI just want to see someone who will respond to things like full logs, wet cache, etc. I am not suggesting that it be archived by any means or that people dont enjoy the journey to it. The owner has abandoned the community, and this cache needs a caretaker regardless of people enjoying it or not.

I never expect people to go out and refill a cache to meet my expectations of what should be a trade item. I just feel that if someone is going to trade something they should trade something other than their candy wrapper. That just ruins the cache box for those who do trade. It doesnt ruin the experience of the cache. Heres an example I did Rags to Riches by Yodadog I bought my scratch ticket went out oneday logged a DNF went out a second time for a find only to see that someone had pilfered the tickets not even bothering to remove them. I spent two days on this cache. The location is gorgous which is why I bothered to go back. I left my unscratched ticket for the next guy to trade with I didnt leave my wrapper. When I reported this in the log I got a personal message from Yodadog which made me feel even better about fixing the cache up before I rehid it( and he offered me free beer!). I feel that thats true up keep of a cache, the fact that he contacted me with thanks(and beer!).

Edited by stick_figure

I would like to know how to go about adopting a cache. The cache I want to adopt is GC3F32, Wind in the Willows Because, well, there is nothing there at all of what was once the cache. I have even removed the bag that once held the cache because that was all that was there. The owner of this cache has not even visited geocaching.com sense Thursday, May 16, 2002. I am going to be pulling a cache or two soon (hint, if you haven't hit all my caches you may want to soon). With me having less caches I want to place or have a few more. I know that this cache predates me as a cacher, but the location is great, and I think it needs to have a cache in it. Besides, if an active cacher is looking after this cache, maybe people will go and do it.

Generally speaking, physical caches that have gone missing are not subject to being adopted as there is nothing there to adopt. Think of it like a automobile that is gone - crushed, melted, and made into a new refrigerator. There would be no reason to transfer the title of the car that no longer exists.

You might post a "needs archived" log to the cache page and state in the log that you want to adopt the cache; the area reviewer would thereby be made aware of the situation and could respond appropriately. You should expect your request to adopt the cache to be denied unless there is some very significant aspect of it that I have overlooked.

If the cache page is archived, the area becomes available for a new cache placement with a new container, log book, and page one of a new history.

I regret to announce that, while my Misty Bottom Cache and Bub's Cache are still in good shape and occasionally serving visitors, my graduate studies are barely allowing time for me to get out and find caches here in Medford, let alone maintain Misty Bottom and Bub's should they need it.

If there's anyone in Western Massachusetts, particularly in the Amherst area, who would like to adopt these two, I'm entertaining offers. I should note that Pat Delaney has expressed interest some months ago (like four or five,) so if he wants one or both, he's first in line.

These are solid traditional caches with ammo-can containers. It's been a while since I've been to them myself, so I can't speak to whether they've got good stuff in the box, but they both did when I last visited them.

Hi- I am not sure about the protacol for adopting a cache, but I believe the "Fox Treaure" cache in New Fairfield is in serious need of adopting. The park is just beautiful, and I would hate to see this cache continue in the manner it is in. It is obvious this cache has been neglected for a long time, in fact the owner has not cached for several years. I would be happy to adopt this cache, but I have no idea what to do. Climbermom and I did what we could for the cache today, but it needs to be moved and replaced. We tried to contact the owner, but the email was returned undeliverablable. So, basically what do I do now?

Travelmom

For anyone interested, the Bancroft Tower cache in Worcester is up for adoption. The owner, ahecht, recently posted this note for it:

"As I will be graduating WPI next month, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to put this cache up for adoption. It is well behaved and doesn't eat much, although it isn't quite housebroken.

If any local cachers want to take this cache under their wing, let me know."

For anyone interested, the Bancroft Tower cache in Worcester is up for adoption. The owner, ahecht, recently posted this note for it:

"As I will be graduating WPI next month, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to put this cache up for adoption. It is well behaved and doesn't eat much, although it isn't quite housebroken.

HermitCrabs

One of the first caches we found in Massachusetts. I will be up for adopting this cache.

and Congratulations!! You wont be staying in MA after you graduate?

Doublestuff

TeamOreoCookies

HermitCrabs

One of the first caches we found in Massachusetts. I will be up for adopting this cache.

and Congratulations!! You wont be staying in MA after you graduate?

Doublestuff

TeamOreoCookies

We're not the ones who own it or who are putting it up for adoption (we graduated a long time ago :unsure: ) -- it's ahecht.

(And despite my near-constant suggestions to my co-crab that we move to Hawaii or New Zealand, we will probably be Massachusetts residents forever, out of sheer inertia.)

Cache in need of Adoption:

Babe Ruth's Piano

This is a classic cache, enjoyed by many who have found it. I asked for it to be switched to me when the prior owner did not respond to emails for maintenance. Unfortunately I haven't been much better - new additions to the family have slowed my ability to take the care needed.

The tag with the coordinates of the final often go missing - I don't know if squirrels take it or what.

Please would someone in the Sudbury/Maynard/Stowe area please adopt this great cache.

Thanks, AJK.

Sneezy, I don't live too far from Clouds on the Water( which I've logged), and I am willing to adopt it. I'm not sure about the second one, but I may be able to adopt it also.

Sneezy, tomorrow I wil be able to go look for Tromp L'Oeil, if I am able to find it, I would be willing to adopt it also, unless someone closer to it is interested.

I will try e-mailing you tomorrow if I don't hear from you in this forum.

Edited by loande

Hi All. Just wanted to put a quick shout out about a cache in Somersworth, NH that may be in need of adoption. It's not historical in any way that I know of, but it just turned 5 years old, and is important in that it is currently the only cache in Somersworth qualifying for the "Leave No Page Unturned > NH Delorme Challenge" (GCZTV1). The owner seems to be MIA, as she hasn't been online since the beginning of the year, and hasn't responded to recent emails. The cache took some damage last month, and at present has a really wet logbook and very little swag in it. Other than that, it's in pretty good shape. Anyone out there willing to adopt this one, or put out another in the Somersworth inset area?

Hi All. Just wanted to put a quick shout out about a cache in Somersworth, NH that may be in need of adoption. ...

Just to provide more information on the cache in question -- it is "Forest Glade" (GC5ED9) and is a letterbox hybrid. We found this cache back on May 18; we were apparently the first finders of the cache since it started to need maintenance. This is an excellent candidate cache for somebody to adopt, as it is an old cache (published 5/31/2002) in a good spot. Alas, it is out of our normal caching area, so we wouldn't easily be able to provide on-going ownership of the cache. Personally, I'd far prefer to see this nice historical cache adopted, rather than simply replaced with a new one!