How Long Do You Stay?

Legend Tracker

My wife (N8urelady) and I found our first cache yesterday!! We are no longer geo-virgins :huh: While we were exploring the contents I began to wonder how long we should stay there. I felt like we needed to move on so we didn't give the location away inadvertantly. We

Question - How long do you normally stay at a cache site? What if someone else comes along? Just trying to understand the etiquette. :D

That's an interesting question. For some reason I seem to have this overwhelming "instinct" to get the cache and get out as quick as possible. Sometimes it's understandable, like when the mosquitoes are biting in the summer or my ears are freezing off in the winter, but other times it just seems to be a part of my nature.

It's also something I try to fight. I've got to remind myself that the person who placed the cache might have put it there because they loved the surroundings and maybe I should to. So, if I have time and if I'm not either freezing or frying, I'll sit down and spend some time reading the logbook. There are very few times when I've been concerned that my lingering is going to spoil the experience for someone else. Chances are you'll need to worry more about someone who's NOT a geocacher seeing you than a geocacher.

Bret

It depends of the place it is hidden. If you anticipate that any geomuggle can appear at any time explore the contents quickly.

if the cache is far from any trail be carefull too, anyone can see you.

Explore the contents without removing them from the box, if someone appears you can hide the box and seem that you are resting in that place.

Edited by garri

I stay until I have searched the same places about 3 times, and just cannot think of anywhere else to look. This typically is an hour or hour and half, depending upon terrain, vegetation, amount of rocks/fallen trees, how cold/windy it is, and so on.

Twice I've found the cache after I decided to quite, and was looking at the most unlikely places on "the way out". The latest was 1/1/04 where I am the only cacher to find it without hints from others, or by seeing someone already with the cache. (Not that I am any better, I was just more determined and/or lucky.)

[EDIT] Oops. I reread the intitial post, and I had thought this was another "how long do you search for a cahce" thread. To answer the real question, I don't stay very long at all, I enjoy the trip in and out. I don't "hang around".

Edited by DustyJacket

If the cache is found near a trail that looks like it gets frequent use, I'll usually do one of two things. 1. If its a micro: sign the cache and rehide quickly. Then if its a nice area I'll explore the surroundings if I have time.

2. If its a regular cache and the log is big enough for us to write in more than just our name, I'll usually want more time to look through the cache. In this case I'll take the cache away from the hiding spot and move down the trail a bit (if some one comes along, I'll toss my backpack over the cache container). Then I'll look through the contents quickly, I usually don't need much time to determine if I'm going to make a trade. I like reading the logs when I have the time. I've found that they can provide some very entertaining reading!

In the case that you are looking for a number of minutes at a cache... Well, probably not more than a couple of minutes depending on how much of the log I want to read. After rehiding... it just depends if the area is worth exploring or not.

I guess it depends on the cache. If there's little chance of being caught and the hiding spot is comfortable, I like to sit down and take my time signing the log and looking through the items in the cache. Otherwise, I don't take any longer than needed.

Yesterday, I found what looked like some type of terrorist training camp in the woods next to a cache, and I was pretty quick about getting done and gone. :(

If the cache site is close to my car, I will take it there and make my trades and do my log. I always take it away from the site so that even if someone sees me, they still won't know where the cache is hidden. I've run across cachers before who were crouched right by the site with the goods strewn all over the place. That sort of ruins the thrill of the hunt for me.-BK

I am fairly new to this activity, but I have already learned that if the cache is hidden in a rather exposed spot, such as a heavily used bike trail, one should grab the cache and find a good hiding spot to peruse the contents and sign the logbook. Then after the coast is clear, you can put the cache back where it belongs. I haven't yet met another geocacher when I've been out, but I've been around a lot of muggles.

James

I've run across cachers before who were crouched right by the site with the goods strewn all over the place. That sort of ruins the thrill of the hunt for me.-BK

Thanks for all the feedback! I would agree with BK that finding a cache open with everything exposed would spoil the hunt. Looks like the best option is to take the cache elsewhere and rehide it afterwards. :(

If it is a scenic spot or if there is something of interest at the location, I hang around long enough to take some pictures after I'm done with the cache. If there is an animal or bird in the area, I might wait a while longer to see if it strikes a good pose for the picture. But that's usually about it.

I don't limit my cache hunt time. I'm fairly tenacious and I'll generally look until I find the cache. Rarely am I thwarted but I have the occasional do not find :D .

As for how much time I spend at the site after find the cache. . . it depends on the area. If there's something to see I'll stick around and check stuff out. For the most part I'll find the cache, quickly peruse other cachers' log notes, make my trade, put the cache back and skidaddle.

Happy caching and stuff! :(

200 posts and still considered a newbie? Maybe we should keep the tadpole title until 1000 posts? :rolleyes:

I consider someone with one traditional cache find, one locationless cache find and one benchmark find a "newbie." If you all believe I've offended someone by applying that label, feel free to moderate me. In the meantime I will continue protecting all the newbies who need this forum in order to ask questions without fear of being called dumb for asking them. Heck, I am still a newbie when it comes to certain issues (benchmarks, GPSBabel and puzzle caches are three things I want to learn more about).

I read a few posts that say you took the cache with you away form the location. Um just outta curiosity, what happens when another cacher comes by, looks all over can't find it, then as they leave you pass them think nothing of it cept hmmm muggle. And place it back. they get home loog a dnf, you then come on and log a find.

For my few cahces that I found back in warmer weather, I sat at the site, but I didnt remove everything from the container, I take out a bag, look through, then replace, grab another ziplock, until through, if not busy, I have read an occassional log page or 2 usually last couple finds and the first orignal finds.

Taking the cache to a different location normally means someplace 100 feet away, like a park bench or a rock that's convenient to sit on. Anywhere far enough away from the cache hiding spot so that a muggle wouldn't follow up and discover the cache. I don't recall ever taking a cache out of sight of the hiding spot, such that I wouldn't have been able to spot another geocacher looking for it.

It all depends on the situation at the time. :D

I stay in the cache location as long as I feel like. Sometimes I have been "caught" by others passing by and simply acted normal; after all, they didn't know what I was doing with that tupperware. Other times I might take the cache elsewhere, such as back to my vehicle (if nearby) or perhaps a park bench. I do that especially if the area the cache is in is a busy one, that way there seems to be less of a chance of giving it away. (Backpacks work great for this, the cache is hidden while you transport it.) I do place a marker on the cache location if I walk away from it with the cache in hand so that I can accurately replace it when I return.