What's your spread look like?

I remember when my find count was around a hundred or so, I used to look at the cache map with all the found caches and imagine what it would look like when I had something like 500 finds. Well, I'm there and it doesn't look much different. I expected the finds to spread further around the state but instead it just gets filled in more and more. It is getting slightly larger as time goes but over all my spread looks the same.

5867_400.jpg

It's basically a circle around my home town. I expect similar patterns from the rest of you.

What does your spread look like?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

The majority of my finds are centered around my home near Seattle, but I also have tendrils shooting off along major highways and Interstates. You can see clusters centered around my parents' (Spokane) and in-laws' (Coeur d'Alene, ID) homes, as well as our cabin on Priest Lake, ID:

finds021204.jpg

This map shows things a little more clearly:

finds021204.gif

Green dots are caches that I've found, and blue are ones that I've hidden.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Rabbit Brush and some rock outcroppings. Nice driveway uo the middle with a couple curves with the house at the end. 2.5 acres on the rectangle with a slight slope of about 3-4 percent from back to front.

Oh, wait a minute, where you talking about cache spread? In that case, somewhere around 1,000 miles from North to South and about the same from West to East. We are hopeing to spread that out a little bit soon. I am not sure how to get the map up and running to post to the web. icon_razz.gif

This is what my spread looks like:

icb.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

[This message was edited by umc on December 04, 2002 at 05:50 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

This what my spread looks like:

http://www.richgraham.com/folio/icb.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Not your favorite cache container, your cache map.

What are you doing with all that 'butter' anyway.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by pbarr86:

Where do you get those maps? Or did you make them??

Paul

Just go to your state listing of caches and click on "state map".

It must be nice to be surrounded by thousands of caches...we may not have too many, but the caches that are here are good ones! icon_biggrin.gif

24128_1000.png

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

quote:
Originally posted by pbarr86:

Where do you get those maps? Or did you make them??

Paul

Do a search on your zip code. Then click on "View the cache map for this state". Then zoom in, zoom out or pan as necessary.

For the life of me, I just can't get the state maps to work. I get the ODBC SQL Server timeout, and that just doesn't look as nice as those maps...

Fizzy, how do you generate your map, it looks cool. Also, feel free to generate another pivot table for us if you have the time, I'd like to see how we did this last month. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

It must be nice to be surrounded by thousands of caches...we may not have too many, but the caches that are here are good ones! icon_biggrin.gif

-pizzachef

The key is to find an empty space and plant a seed cache. As hunters enter the area they often know of other places in the same area and hide a cache also. Etc etc... get the ball rolling.

george

39570_500.jpg

mapla.jpg

I put a couple of different zoom levels to give a better idea.

mapca.jpg

I have so many finds that the server will never come up with these for me unless I first 'logout' from the page. But, I have most of the ones in a circle around my house. They are getting further away now. Luckily, so many new ones come up in Los Angeles, that by just catching the new ones, I am still at almost 5 finds a week.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

This map is of Southwestern Pennsylvania (in orange) and Eastern Ohio/Northwestern West Virginia. You can tell that the Leprechauns live in the Pittsburgh area, but we don't have the characteristic circle of caches with a bullseye in the middle. Also note the vast cache wasteland in Ohio waiting to be filled. The caches I found there were all done in one marathon 2-day trip that went to Zanesville and Athens Ohio in the west edge of the picture as the far points. The caches there are very nicely done, there is just not enough of them.

57636_1000.jpg

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I keep track of the order I find my caches, so I can show a track of my caching. Here's the US part of it:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/45488_1700.gif

Doing this also lets you calculate your "caching distance", which is the length of the path that would be required to go to all the caches you've found, in order of the finds.

Fizzymagic,

What program did you use to make that map you have there?

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I keep track of the order I find my caches, so I can show a track of my caching. Here's the US part of it:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/45488_1700.gif

Doing this also lets you calculate your "caching distance", which is the length of the path that would be required to go to all the caches you've found, in order of the finds.

Your map reminded me of a scene from the movie War Games "Want to play a Game?"

Ouch, did I just age myself?

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

No maps, just ASCII:

- - - - - - - -N 47° 33.598 (North)

W 122° 03.809 (West)- - - W 087° 33.552 (East)

- - - - - - - -N 39° 32.685 (South)

North (Central Washington)

South (Central Illinois)

East (Central Illinois)

West (Western Washington)

Unknown objects are operating under intelligent control... It is imperative that we learn where UFO's come from and what their purpose is... - -Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter Director, Central Intelligence Agency 1947-1950

I'll have to stick to the Geocaching maps.

Maybe I will do a pocket query on the caches I have found and enter it into a map program.

My cache map of GA shows that I live around Atlanta pretty well.

19490_1500.jpg

My USA map shows that I travel and definately carry the GPS.

I have hit 16 states so far and Washington DC.

19490_1600.jpg

Cities in the order visited are Atlanta and suburbs, Cheaha AL, Wash. DC, Bowie MD, Los Angeles, Boston, Cleveland and Columbus OH, San Antonio, New Orleans, Colorado Springs, S. Newark, Stamford CT, New York City, Minneapolis, Sterling VA, Denver, San Francisco, San Jose', FL Keys, Austin, and Pittsburgh. A couple of locationless caches show up in WA state.

Looks like we need to work on stretching our map north vertically a bit... Mostly caches in West Virginia with some near us in Kentucky and Ohio. Trips to Virginia, DC, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, plus the big trip WV-Denver, CO (and Cheyenne, WY)-Milwaukee, WI-WV where we found at least one cache in every state (except KY and WV which we already had.)

MyFoundCaches.jpg