Geocaching Pet Peeves

My number one peeve is getting to the suggested parking and starting on the hike only to find there is a NO TRESPASSING sign in my way.

I don't mind coming across a NO TRESPASSING sign if I picked my own starting spot but having the cache hider who ignores a sign and expects you to do the same is too much.

--- yrium ---

Encrypted clues that have important information like "do not park in the shopping center lot", or other things that would be nice to know ahead of time like "Nice spot for a picnic", or "flashlight required".

Also, long encrypted clues. Basically anything more than 2-3 lines.

People who leave caches exposed, as well as people who who re-hide them way better than the owner intended.

I also agree with Huntnlady about 1 star terrain and timpaula about owners who ignore problems with their caches.

But most of all, I hate people who use quotes in other languages in their signature line.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on June 06, 2003 at 05:32 AM.]

People who go to a 1 star cache and then complain it was too easy.

People underrating the difficulty of the terrain or the find, which makes me have to leave my handicapped husband off and come back for him.

People who take 10 dollars worth of swapping goodies and leave 50 cents worth in return.

Planning a full day of caching with friends, only to have the heavens open and rains to pour down. We go anyway, but it'd be nicer in good weather.

Getting all the way to a spot the cache is supposed to be and then not being able to find it. Or having my GPS lose the signal.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Susan

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

My Pet Peeve is when a cache page is rated as 1 on the terrain and it is definitely not wheelchair accessable.

I just posted a 1/1. The terrain is paved and no farther than 150 feet from parking, but the location of the actual cache (a micro) makes it impossible for someone in a wheelchair to access. Is the general thinking that this should have a terrain difficulty greater than a 1?

quote:
I just posted a 1/1. The terrain is paved and no farther than 150 feet from parking, but the location of the actual cache (a micro) makes it impossible for someone in a wheelchair to access. Is the general thinking that this should have a terrain difficulty greater than a 1?

I'd say that's a 1, but perhaps you should note that it can't be reached by someone in a wheelchair. There are all levels of handicap, from people with heart and lung disease, or very bad knees, or CP, or MS, etc... who find walking very difficult, to people who are totally immobile.

Some of them need a wheelchair most of the time, but are able to get out of it for short periods and others can't use their arms or legs at all, making it likely that no cache would accessable to them.

If it's a paved path, 150 feet from parking, its a 1 in my book. What I don't like are the 1's with stream crossings, boulder fields, down trees, roots, rocky trails, etc... You should at least be able to negotiate the trail in a wheelchair for it to be a 1.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Yes! All of the above!

I had a cache stolen because it was not hidden good enough after a find. I don't know about hiding one too good. Is that possible?

I have one cache that a wheelchair can get within 6 inches of the cache. It is under a wooden walking bridge over an arroyo. I rated it a 1.5 and noted that a wheelchair can almost but not quite get it - bring a helper.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

iT's not a major pet peeve but caches with no clear area for parking is definitely on my list.

Mayvbe it's because I've ran into a rash of such caches recently. You get to the area and the only parking is in a cul de sac in some upscale residential area. Or it is implied that 'parking along the side of the road is okay'. or... that pesky "no tresspassing' sign is there.

If there are public trails that can be used to get to the cache the placer should post coordinates for the trail head or the best place to park. I hate to be left guessing. The challenge should be finding the cache itself not where to park.

I'm also not fond of caches which require you to go into someone's back yard, place of buisness etc. Even though the cache report might clearly state "I have permission from the owner" it just makes me feel uneasy poking around someone's yard. Aaaaaahhh, but it doesn't stop me. The lure of the hunt is too great. icon_biggrin.gif

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Offset caches categorized as traditional!

Three page descriptions of the area along with complete histories which take far too long to get through on your PDA when you're in the field.

Plus, the standard useless hint, unmaintained caches, cheating because you think you can get away with it, and failure to trade kindly.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Not having and "Ignore" option, Be it for caches or people.

Bad cords.

Whining about a cache hunt you went on - by your own choice - even after reading the cache description and all the logs about said cache.

Not rehiding the cache.

Planning on hitting 50 caches in the morning and only getting 48 so you have to come back after lunch.

Plus most of the already stated opinions.

logscaler.

(ps - smart a$$'s!!)

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Cachers who write spoilers in their logs, and useless or irrelevant clues.

And pretty much everything else that has been mentioned on this page except bears -- I like bears.

Would that be "all" bears, or just the straight ones? icon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

And pretty much everything else that has been mentioned on this page except bears -- I like bears.

By bears, do you mean the actual bears? Or do you mean the kind of bears found at this cache?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Lep, you're obviously confused. "Bear" is a common slang term for a large, hairy gay man. Hope this helps.

Hmm... I'm a large, hairy, straight man and my wife refers to me as a bear. I wonder if she knows something I don't...

Anyway, my pet peeve has been mentioned: Parking! I don't mind hiking into the inner circles of hell as long as some parking coordinates or trailhead coordinates are supplied.

Obviously at a city park or something, it's a non-issue, but in urban or wilderness settings it can suck not knowing where to park. Or thinking you know where and finding an interstate between you and the cache.

My main pet peeve is those who gripe TOO much about the quality of the items in a cache. If I want treasure I'll look for the Lost Dutchman Mine. I have a case full of items I've traded for while caching. They range in "value" from a toy that was free in a box of Cheerios, up to a $3 - $4 Ty Beanie Baby and everything in between. I value the free toy from the cereal just exactly as much as the $4 Ty Beanie. Each item represents a satisfactory conclusion to a hunt and a great time with my wife while geocaching. Period. I don't intend that I should become rich as a result of this hobby.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

<<SNIP>>

What are some of your Pet Peeves?

<<SNIP>>

Not enough time to cache.

That's it.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Lep, you're obviously confused. "Bear" is a common slang term for a large, hairy gay man. Hope this helps.

ROTFLMAO!!

(I've always wanted an opportunity to say that - thanks.)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

I hate whining. Be it about the difficulty of a cache as george states, or the fact it’s a micro cache, as Marky states. I also can’t understand why people whine about puzzle caches. I don’t whine about the caches you need to get to with scuba gear, don’t whine about the puzzles you cannot or will not solve.

Find the ones you will, skip the ones you won’t and live with it. I mean, if there are caches you won’t find, well, big deal. Dang nab it!

Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe gripe,

-J

quote:
Find the ones you will, skip the ones you won’t and live with it. I mean, if there are caches you won’t find, well, big deal. Dang nab it!

Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe gripe,

Uh.....I think the intent of the person who started this thread was the hear the gripe gripe gripes. You start with

quote:
I hate whining.
and then end with a whine yourself!

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Finders complaining about how they hate micros in their log of a micro. If you don't like them, don't hunt them!

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

I'm with you on this one!

What people do to caches is beyond cache owners' control. I would rather people write logs complaining how much they hate microcaches than have them steal or plunder microcaches. Wouldn't you?

Let them complain. At least you know your cache is safe. When they stop complaining, it's time to start worrying.

I think my biggest pet peeve are people who I call "GeoNazi's". You know those people who find it necessary to write a note in your cache log informing you of what they don't like about the cache, i.e. the container, the location, the hint item, the name of the cache, your blood type, your fingerprint pattern.... oh sorry I lost control of myself, but you see what I'm getting at. There's a local cacher in my area that even lectures people in their profile about Micros! Give it a break dude, geocaching is supposed to be fun, not a source of heartburn. Sorry if I offended anyone in my rant. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Still in the Geocaching Closet.

quote:
Originally posted by OuttaHand:

My main pet peeve is those who gripe TOO much about the quality of the items in a cache. If I want treasure I'll look for the Lost Dutchman Mine. I have a case full of items I've traded for while caching. They range in "value" from a toy that was free in a box of Cheerios, up to a $3 - $4 Ty Beanie Baby and everything in between. I value the free toy from the cereal just exactly as much as the $4 Ty Beanie. Each item represents a satisfactory conclusion to a hunt and a great time with my wife while geocaching. Period. I don't intend that I should become rich as a result of this hobby.

definitely agree with this one-- it's not about the STUFF-- it's about the HUNT! to me, anyway.

Although I have noticed that there has been more civility on the forums lately, my pet peeve(s) are forum meenies, geo natzis, and whiners. I can handle some whining, but anyone who can't keep a civil tongue isn't worth paying attention to IMHO. I just can't get heartburn over the rest.

I have experienced most of the things mentioned in this thread and still found something nice to say on the cache page.

I was having a conversation with another cacher, whom I have great respect for, and he was complaining about virtual caches; most especially the one's placed by a certain local cacher. I pointed out that I noticed that he had logged most of her virts and the reply was, "I can't, not log a cache," which completly destroyed his argument.

People should remember that it took someone's time and effort, no matter how small, to contribute to our shared activity.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

1. Caches in poison ivy.

2. Tedious micro-caches that have been underrated.

3. People who place caches too close to my caches. Especially if they haven't even done my cache.

4. Approvers who approve caches too close to my caches. Especially my multi-caches.

5. Caches placed in trashy areas.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

In theory you are bringing something to pass to the next guy, who is bringing something...

In practice, it is an honor system, and you are depending on the "ethics" of those who follow to keep the process alive.

The Game is the quest. The Quest is the reward. The reward is why you do it.

I am building a cache or two, am keeping to a budget, and I am looking to place things that I think are "Neat" no matter the retail cost.

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?