The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Ok you FTF addicts - Who is gonna go for this 5/5!! Yukon Diving (SCUBA, Underwater) This would have driven TT mad since it is well within his found radius!

Now someone puts a SCUBA cache in SD?!?!? After I leave? Grab your BCD and 7 mill suit!

FTF-ing wouldn't have been a problem as my buddy (shameless plug) Jake at the Diving Locker in PB did my check-out dives with me for my Scuba cert by diving to the HCMS Yukon. He leads dive trips to the Yukon quite regularly.

It's a very very cool wreck. About 350 ft long, and in 100 ft of water. Lots of reef life has taken to it. My only regret when I dove to it, it was poor vis (~15 ft.) and the wreck was under the thermocline making it a bone-chilling dive with water temp of 49°F.

Boggis can back me up on this, but I once talked with him about putting a SCUBA cache on the Yukon or one of the other wrecks just offshore. I would have too, except for the prohibitive cost of maintaining it. ~$40- $60 to charter a boat to go out there plus air tank fills. Also I thought it would get muggled very easily. The Yukon is a very popular wreck to dive off SD. With the amount of traffic that this wreck gets, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go missing. The underwater one that was in La Jolla Cove went missing two days after it was placed. Underwater caches in SD just don't have a good history of lasting very long.

That being said., who in SD is SCUBA certed? I know Boggis and Mudface are. Anyone else?

My FTF money is on Boggis.

--TT--

I'm going to try to hit it on the dock on the 12th before it gets placed! :anitongue: But I am also certified, although it was many years ago and I lost my card in the fire....

So sorry about losing your card in the fire, FlagMan. :anitongue:

I was certified a long time ago also. I took my lessons in Colorado and did one of my open water checkouts in 40 degree water in Loveland Reservoir and the other open water checkout in Nebraska, on Lake McConaughy, when the visibility was zero, zip, nada. :anibad:

For several days before we traveled over there, the wind blew 80 mph and the wind-driven waves almost took out the dam . . . :anitongue:

That was a memorable adventure . . .

Ok you FTF addicts - Who is gonna go for this 5/5!! Yukon Diving (SCUBA, Underwater) This would have driven TT mad since it is well within his found radius!

The funny thing is a friend and I where thinking of placing a cache just like this about a week ago over some cigars. I'm a full fledged SCUBA nut so I would be more than willing to head out with anyone that would like to attempt this cache.....and NO you cannot "Duck Dive" to this cache! :anitongue:

BTW. I was certified in Lake Superior while it was snowing out! Can you say shrinkage?

Edited by PassingWind

Now someone puts a SCUBA cache in SD?!?!? After I leave? Grab your BCD and 7 mill suit!

FTF-ing wouldn't have been a problem as my buddy (shameless plug) Jake at the Diving Locker in PB did my check-out dives with me for my Scuba cert by diving to the HCMS Yukon. He leads dive trips to the Yukon quite regularly.

It's a very very cool wreck. About 350 ft long, and in 100 ft of water. Lots of reef life has taken to it. My only regret when I dove to it, it was poor vis (~15 ft.) and the wreck was under the thermocline making it a bone-chilling dive with water temp of 49°F.

Boggis can back me up on this, but I once talked with him about putting a SCUBA cache on the Yukon or one of the other wrecks just offshore. I would have too, except for the prohibitive cost of maintaining it. ~$40- $60 to charter a boat to go out there plus air tank fills. Also I thought it would get muggled very easily. The Yukon is a very popular wreck to dive off SD. With the amount of traffic that this wreck gets, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go missing. The underwater one that was in La Jolla Cove went missing two days after it was placed. Underwater caches in SD just don't have a good history of lasting very long.

That being said., who in SD is SCUBA certed? I know Boggis and Mudface are. Anyone else?

--TT--

I am certified (Snake), though I hate cold water. Might be interesting though. I doubt that I'd be willing to pay the price for this FTF though. :anitongue:

Trackable Smashed Penny

Bikedog Personal Elongated Coin For Sale

21_1.JPG

Each coin is unique so you can watch it travel from cache to cache. If you are in San Diego look in a few local caches, I'll be getting them out. If you can't wait look at my listing on Ebay.

Ebay Listing

I can't believe how fast these are selling on Ebay. I encourage anyone who has ever thought about a signature item to make one of these.

James Kilcoyne kilcoynejames@hotmail.com

made mine and is very easy to work with. Just send him a design and a some money and a few weeks later they are in your mail box.

Edited by bikedog

--TT--

Thanks for the compliment Jeff, but I dunno about me being FTF, depends who else is going after it! I've dived the Yukon plenty of times (though not this year, would give me a good reason to go back), but I reckon Kevin&Susan will probably come down and snag it over the weekend. I'm out all day on Saturday doing an Alfa fun run to the mountains, so unless I can get out there on Sunday, I think I'll miss my chance. Anyone willing and able to be my buddy for the dive? It looks like it'll be *inside* one of the rooms, so don't even think about it unless you're trained and certified for overhead/enclosed space diving. Definitely not worth dying for an FTF!

As for underwater caches in SD, my Duck Diving cache isn't very far underwater, but it's still having dampness problems!

I'm trying to gather a list of underground caches in San Diego. Take a look at my bookmark list: underground caches

to see which I'm missing. There are a few caches that you aren't supposed to know about the underground, so don't call those out! We don't want to ruin the surprise or give anything away.

Lemme know if your cache is on the list and you feel its giving something away. I tried to be careful.

I'm trying to gather a list of underground caches in San Diego. Take a look at my bookmark list: underground caches

to see which I'm missing. There are a few caches that you aren't supposed to know about the underground, so don't call those out! We don't want to ruin the surprise or give anything away.

Lemme know if your cache is on the list and you feel its giving something away. I tried to be careful.

Penny Mine (GC2C84)

I believe it is at the entrance but it gets you underground.

I'm trying to gather a list of underground caches in San Diego.  Take a look at my bookmark  list: underground caches

to see which I'm missing.  There are a few caches that you aren't supposed to know about the underground, so don't call those out!  We don't want to ruin the surprise or give anything away.

Lemme know if your cache is on the list and you feel its giving something away.  I tried to be careful.

Penny Mine (GC2C84)

I believe it is at the entrance but it gets you underground.

Holy F !! I guess I should have refered to the Urban Disctionary before posting that comment about the pizzle.....I never knew, guess you learn somethin' everyday.

Penny Mine isn't even close......it's only about a hands length deep and the cache has a nice view of blue sky......still one of the best caches to visit in SD County.

I'm working on a pretty nasty "rural/in the sticks" underground multi-......more later :D

BYW: Dan-oh, great idea for a bookmarks list, any other public bookmark lists that we don't know about ?

Edited by PassingWind

BYW: Dan-oh, great idea for a bookmarks list, any other public bookmark lists that we don't know about ?

You aren't referring to my "double secret probation" bookmark list, are you?

Sorry, other than my ignore list, nada mas. This bookmark deal is pretty great. Its fantastic how it shows on a cache page, almost as an endorsement of the cache. If you haven't set up a favorites/bookmarks list yet, do it now.

You aren't referring to my "double secret probation" bookmark list, are you?

Sorry, other than my ignore list, nada mas. This bookmark deal is pretty great. Its fantastic how it shows on a cache page, almost as an endorsement of the cache. If you haven't set up a favorites/bookmarks list yet, do it now.

Wish there was a way to view public bookmarks through a cachers profile rather than searching thru caches to find a list.

Black Canyon Area Caches

GeoCampout Caches

PW's Favorites

Sea to Sea Trail Caches

The World Famous Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches

Edited by PassingWind
I'm trying to gather a list of underground caches in San Diego.  Take a look at my bookmark  list: underground caches

to see which I'm missing.  There are a few caches that you aren't supposed to know about the underground, so don't call those out!  We don't want to ruin the surprise or give anything away.

Lemme know if your cache is on the list and you feel its giving something away.  I tried to be careful.

Gold Silver Cotton Wood is not in a cave, but it is near one. I realize my log implies the cache is in a cave, but it's not; hope I didn't confuse anyone.

icon_tu.gif BTW, I am FTRYBL - First To Rate Your Bookmark List icon_tu.gif

If you add night caches, you can rename your list Caches That Require a Light Source :lol: .

You're right about the endorsement bit; that's kinda catchy; will start one or two or three... soon.

Edited by Chuy

Funny, I was just going to do the same thing after doing Don't Look Down! yesterday (I don't think I am giving anything away here). I was going to call it the "Swamp Thing" list...

Gold Silver Cotton Wood is not in a cave, but it is near one. I realize my log implies the cache is in a cave, but it's not; hope I didn't confuse anyone.

icon_tu.gif BTW, I am FTRYBL - First To Rate Your Bookmark List icon_tu.gif

If you add night caches, you can rename your list Caches That Require a Light Source :o .

You're right about the endorsement bit; that's kinda catchy; will start one or two or three... soon.

Flume with a view has no cave-like features.

D!

OK my SD friends, what is with this c%&p weather.  I come to San Diego and I get rain and cold.  This is what I left behind:

3bcc1804-3e2f-49a7-9333-ea1177aef76c.jpg

All I know is that it better not be crappy out this weekend! :P

P.S. Dave I wouldn't recommend starting a weather competition between SD and Denver. SD has the best weather in the whole country (except when you visit). :o

Edited by TrailGators
Well Pat, it all depends on your definition of "best", doesn't it? Denver actually has more days of sunshine than San Diego though, I know that much. It can get a bit nippy in the winter, but how else would you go snowboarding?

You are right Toby. San Diego is "best" for me. However, sometimes we don't have much of a choice where we live.... Why else do you think I lived in the frigid east coast and midwest so sooooooooo long??? :o

As far as a snowy environment, Denver has a great climate! I was just Dave a hard time! ;) I used to travel to Boulder all the time from the frigid upper midwest and enjoyed the 60 degree days during the winter in Bolder. But I also used to travel to San Diego. I would leave the frigid upper midwest and really enjoy the 80 degree days during the winter in San Diego! :P

Edited by TrailGators
OK my SD friends, what is with this c%&p weather.  I come to San Diego and I get rain and cold.  This is what I left behind:

3bcc1804-3e2f-49a7-9333-ea1177aef76c.jpg

All I know is that it better not be crappy out this weekend! ;)

P.S. Dave I wouldn't recommend starting a weather competition between SD and Denver. SD has the best weather in the whole country (except when you visit). :o

I am not trying to suggest a competition. I am just bummed that I came to SD expecting the usual good weather and get cold. I believe that there is no place on earth that has better weather than SD on a year round basis! :P

I am not trying to suggest a competition.  I am just bummed that I came to SD expecting the usual good weather and get cold.  I believe that there is no place on earth that has better weather than SD on a year round basis!  :P

Like I said later, I was just giving you a hard time! :o

We are having weird weather all of a sudden. It started last night.

The good news is that it will be nice this weekend!

1827b3db-d4ab-42fe-bb8e-a94de78ef762.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
I am not trying to suggest a competition.  I am just bummed that I came to SD expecting the usual good weather and get cold.  I believe that there is no place on earth that has better weather than SD on a year round basis!  :D

Like I said later, I was just giving you a hard time! :D

We are having weird weather all of a sudden. It started last night.

The good news is that it will be nice this weekend!

1827b3db-d4ab-42fe-bb8e-a94de78ef762.jpg

That's great. I might get to try out the convertible rental car after all! :D

Alrighty everyone!!! I'm trying to get together an approximate count for Saturday's Pub Event (that way, GoBolts! and I won't be eating all the leftover brownies! :D ). The official time is 6pm but GoBolts! and I will be there earlier if anyone cares to join us! If you're planning to attend, go ahead and post it to the Cache Page if you don't get around to it, don't worry, we'd still love to see you there!!! :D

Edited by tigger's mango
Well . . . I bet I've been shopping at REI longer than any of the rest of you . . . 

Can you beat 1968? (I was just a kid then and it was my dad's coop number but it was my money and so it still counts...) :D

Trivia question: Where was REI in San Diego before its present location?

I am sure most of you have done Mission Trails RP by now but is anyone planning on caching there tomorrow(if you have the day off)? We are planning to hit quite a few caches there tomorrow. Always enjoy running into fellow geocachers. :D

I would love to but there is this event and this one too tomorrow! Great places to meet fellow cachers and there are also many caches near both!

Well . . . I bet I've been shopping at REI longer than any of the rest of you . . . 

Can you beat 1968? (I was just a kid then and it was my dad's coop number but it was my money and so it still counts...) :D

Smokey,

I am a long time REI member and I remember when their store was on University Avenue. Am I right?

BTW, when I sign some cache logs I also sign my dog's name Smokey. He can't go everywhere with me, but he is as obsessed with geocaching as I am. So if you see a log by Nat and Smokey I am talking about a black lab mix, not you. No hard feelings.... ;)

Hi Smokey...Welcome to caching!

:D;):D

Can you beat 1968? (I was just a kid then and it was my dad's coop number but it was my money and so it still counts...) ;)

I remember the store on University Ave. but the only "store" I had at the beginning was their wonderful catalogue that I would drool over in my little house on Ocean Front Walk.

Can you believe you could rent a place in that location for only $140.00 a month. :D

I am sure most of you have done Mission Trails RP by now but is anyone planning on caching there tomorrow(if you have the day off)? We are planning to hit quite a few caches there tomorrow. Always enjoy running into fellow geocachers. :D

I would love to but there is this event and this one too tomorrow! Great places to meet fellow cachers and there are also many caches near both!

I am pretty sure they meant today. I took today off of work since Rogue already had the day off (and I have vacation time I have to kill since I am losing it). I doubt we will make it out to MTRP today since Rogue gets to pick what we are doing...

I just wanted to post a little teaser for all of you icon hounds out there! :D

I know many of you have logged my coins at the events I have been to, and I'm happy to share them.

However, there is nothing quite like a wild-caught item to show off on your stat pages. I know the first 4 WJTBs I found were at events, so when I got my first wild-caught one, it meant more than all of the others combined.

What I am leading up to is this...I just worked out a trade with Moun10Bike for another one of his new coins. This is his 3rd version of his coin, so many of you haven't had the opportunity to see one yet. When you log it, you get the same Moun10Bike icon on your stat page as you do with the first 2 versions of his coin though.

Anyway, I am lucky enough to already have one of the new coins in my collection. Rather than keep the next one, or use it for trading bait for another coin, I am going to place it in a cache! I have a couple of ideas where I would like to drop it, but haven't decided yet.

My only request is to keep it moving for as long as possible. I realize it is inevitable that it will eventually end up missing, but I would like to see as many cachers as possible get a chance to find one the way they were originally intended to be found.

Cheers,

Dave

I just wanted to post a little teaser for all of you icon hounds out there! :D

I know many of you have logged my coins at the events I have been to, and I'm happy to share them.

However, there is nothing quite like a wild-caught item to show off on your stat pages. I know the first 4 WJTBs I found were at events, so when I got my first wild-caught one, it meant more than all of the others combined.

What I am leading up to is this...I just worked out a trade with Moun10Bike for another one of his new coins. This is his 3rd version of his coin, so many of you haven't had the opportunity to see one yet. When you log it, you get the same Moun10Bike icon on your stat page as you do with the first 2 versions of his coin though.

Anyway, I am lucky enough to already have one of the new coins in my collection. Rather than keep the next one, or use it for trading bait for another coin, I am going to place it in a cache! I have a couple of ideas where I would like to drop it, but haven't decided yet.

My only request is to keep it moving for as long as possible. I realize it is inevitable that it will eventually end up missing, but I would like to see as many cachers as possible get a chance to find one the way they were originally intended to be found.

Cheers,

Dave

WOW! Now that's a very generous and unselfish act C4....Thank you!! I really hope to see this coin travel around and for all those who move will have great Kache Karma.

I also hope to get out a few of my extra GC trackable coins in my collection and spread them out in hopes of seeing them travel and suprising many cachers who discover them.

BTW....I've got a moun10bike v3 gecoin coming in the mail!!!

I agree. There is something about finding a jeep or coin the wild that makes it special. You actually had to work for it. You had to get there before the other guy. You didn't just copy down a number on a piece of paper.

I have dropped a few coins into caches with this very goal in mind. The swiftness in which these coins have disappeared has been highly discouraging. Sure, I expected them to evaporate eventually, but to have them disappear so quickly was very disappointing. :ph34r::ph34r:

It's quite an ironic thing that most geocoin "travellers" don't actually travel. It's even more so given that there is such a high value placed on coins that are "trackable". (I'm waiting for someone to release a coin that is truly trackable -- one that, when it goes missing, I can type the tracking number into LoJack... :rolleyes: )

I hope that you have much better luck than I. (And by the way, C4, as one who found a coin that I released into the wild and who moved it along promptly, you have my sincere and hearty thanks! :huh: )

I agree. There is something about finding a jeep or coin the wild that makes it special. You actually had to work for it. You had to get there before the other guy. You didn't just copy down a number on a piece of paper.

I have dropped a few coins into caches with this very goal in mind. The swiftness in which these coins have disappeared has been highly discouraging. Sure, I expected them to evaporate eventually, but to have them disappear so quickly was very disappointing. :huh::ph34r:

It's quite an ironic thing that most geocoin "travellers" don't actually travel. It's even more so given that there is such a high value placed on coins that are "trackable". (I'm waiting for someone to release a coin that is truly trackable -- one that, when it goes missing, I can type the tracking number into LoJack... :rolleyes: )

I hope that you have much better luck than I. (And by the way, C4, as one who found a coin that I released into the wild and who moved it along promptly, you have my sincere and hearty thanks! B) )

I now have a "wild-caught" White Jeep in my possession, even though I "caught" it from one on my own caches.

I have been having dreams about it and where to put it because I would feel so bad if it went missing after I put it back out in the wild . . . :P

McGintyTracks.jpg

The highlighted image is the track I made retrieving the Jeep just three days after I did the four-mile hike placing the five new caches on that mountain.

LLOT, I put one of your Geocoins in "Project 'Delta'" and no one has mentioned taking it, or seeing it in the cache. :ph34r:

Does anyone have any votes on where I should put this White Jeep so it doesn't suffer the same fate? :P

I just wanted to post a little teaser for all of you icon hounds out there!  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave

WOW! Now that's a very generous and unselfish act C4....Thank you!! I really hope to see this coin travel around and for all those who move will have great Kache Karma.

I also hope to get out a few of my extra GC trackable coins in my collection and spread them out in hopes of seeing them travel and suprising many cachers who discover them.

BTW....I've got a moun10bike v3 gecoin coming in the mail!!!

C4 are you bringing that coin to the Black Canyon event tomorrow?

I just met up with Rocket Man who is in town from Denver and he handed me this coin:

1fb454a3-535c-4cf4-b4fd-ceb0ba2d661a.jpg

I'll bring it to the Black Canyon event tomorrow!