The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Not sure if this is an "adelphia.net" problem or?????

But all of the mail sent through the geocaching site is being returned.

My first thought was, "great...I am finally banned."

But I did a test from the dog's acount and from TM's and got the same results.

Returned mail says that the problem is with my server. But I am not sure how that could be...I am sending from my GC account and not my e-mail account.

Please help...

In the old days (but not as old as Miragee's REI number  <_< ), it would typically take about 12-20 minutes for a GPS to acquire satellites when first powered on. The toughest thing was acquiring the first satellite. Once it had that, it could decode ephemeris data that told it what other satellites should be in view and the next two or three satellites could be acquired faster. Now a days, the GPSr manufacturers have developed various tricks to shorten the acquisition time but if a lot of time and/or distance has passed since the unit was turned on, it's going to take longer than normal to find and lock onto a set of satellites..

Thanks for the info! For those of you that had to pull out the dictionary (like me); an ephemeris is a table giving the coordinates of a celestial body at a number of specific times during a given period. Anyhow, I'm just happy to have my geepus back, now I can get back out there!

What a coincidence; I just downloaded a freeware PocketPC program called Ephemeris that displays sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, moon phase and its % illumination.

Neat program!

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days!  <_<

which cache requires a ladder? :drama:

SCC #3

If'n y'all don't want to carry a ladder all the way out there, ya' might want to chat with ol' Tucson Thompsen. He's figger'd out a way to do it with a 6 foot pole. <_<:drama:

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days!  <_<

which cache requires a ladder? :drama:

SCC #3

If'n y'all don't want to carry a ladder all the way out there, ya' might want to chat with ol' Tucson Thompsen. He's figger'd out a way to do it with a 6 foot pole. <_<:drama:

O.k., here's th' real deal on SCCC #3. The original hidey hole was a piece of tin roofing that blew away in one of the 65-mph winds that hit the ranch area during Santa Anna season. Oddly enough that same piece of tin roofing went through the Cedar Fire at Carpenter's place up near Barona. More or less it was the only thing left of his garage and tools.

That original location was mostly scored using a tall ladder; however, TT and a few others achieved the find by other means like walking the walls and using ropes. Fact is that the container is thirteen feet above ground level.

An interesting fact is that the first three or four finders were women with tall ladders; $kimmer, Splashette, and Nat to name three of them f'r sure.

After the cache was blown away us ol' cowboys replaced it in a simpler but more secure way that is somewhat easier to grab without a ladder. However, doing it that way is not for faint-of-heart Geocachers. As I recall John of John & Jess did the wall-walk thang after we relocated it.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Has anyone put together a bookmark page of TT's San Diego caches? It used to be easy to keep track, but now that they are mostly adopted by others, it's much harder to know how many tens of caches remain to taunt you... <_<

They should all still have his name as the owner in some form or another (the ones I've adopted say "by TucsonThompsen, adopted by Dr. Boggis"), so GSAK should still turn them up....but searching on GC.com by username (hidden) doesn't show them.

The boys at Google must have a sense of humor...Go to "http://www.google.com"

Type in "Failure", without the quotes and instead of hitting Search, hit I'm Feeling Lucky See what comes up!

Notice that if you just do a normal search, the second hit is Michael Moore - but obviously the Googlebombers who dislike GWB are more numerous than those who dislike Moore!

(Have a look here if you don't know what a Googlebomb is)

Hey....can anybody help me figure out how to get an avatar attached to my posts here?  I dunno how to do it.

Thanks!

Paulette aka Team Geogeeks

1) Go to your profile and hit "Edit Profile"

2) Under Avatar hit "change/edit"

3) Upload a photo using the upload link

4) Hit "re-register changes"

Edited by TrailGators
The boys at Google must have a sense of humor...Go to "http://www.google.com"

Type in "Failure", without the quotes and instead of hitting Search, hit I'm Feeling Lucky See what comes up!

Notice that if you just do a normal search, the second hit is Michael Moore - but obviously the Googlebombers who dislike GWB are more numerous than those who dislike Moore!

(Have a look here if you don't know what a Googlebomb is)

Google actually came out with a statement regarding this:

Googlebombing 'failure'

9/16/2005 12:54:00 PM

Posted by Marissa Mayer, Director of Consumer Web Products

If you do a Google search on the word [failure] or the phrase [miserable failure], the top result is currently the White House’s official biographical page for President Bush. We've received some complaints recently from users who assume that this reflects a political bias on our part. I'd like to explain how these results come up in order to allay these concerns.

Google's search results are generated by computer programs that rank web pages in large part by examining the number and relative popularity of the sites that link to them. By using a practice called googlebombing, however, determined pranksters can occasionally produce odd results. In this case, a number of webmasters use the phrases [failure] and [miserable failure] to describe and link to President Bush's website, thus pushing it to the top of searches for those phrases. We don't condone the practice of googlebombing, or any other action that seeks to affect the integrity of our search results, but we're also reluctant to alter our results by hand in order to prevent such items from showing up. Pranks like this may be distracting to some, but they don't affect the overall quality of our search service, whose objectivity, as always, remains the core of our mission.

I'd like to do some of those but I need to get back into good shape first. The Sunday football couch potato routine will make it tough to do those kind of hikes right now. The hardest hike I've ever done (probably a breeze to many of you guys) is 12.5 miles roundtrip with a vertical gain of 2500 feet. The tough part was the altitude headache from running out of water on the way up. Anyhow, that one only took 4.5 hours, so an all day hike sounds like a quantum leap tougher than that one.

Wow, that is quite a hike . . . I don't think I've every hiked that far except for many years ago in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.

I'm glad you got the Geepus working again. :D (That's the nickname for mine also. :anibad: )

Now, to get in shape for those desert caches, come out to Jamul and do my caches on Mt. McGinty, and/or the "Couch" series by LostGuy51 in Hollenbeck Canyon. :P

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days! :P

:anitongue: Uh . . . do you have maps? :anitongue:

Jamul isn't anywhere close to those wonderful, fun SCC caches. Or were you thinking of Jacumba? :D

Anyway, Jamul is not really that far away, honest . . . Just take 15 to 52 to 125 to 94 and get off at Lyons Valley Road. Easy peasy. :D

I'd like to do some of those but I need to get back into good shape first. The Sunday football couch potato routine will make it tough to do those kind of hikes right now. The hardest hike I've ever done (probably a breeze to many of you guys) is 12.5 miles roundtrip with a vertical gain of 2500 feet. The tough part was the altitude headache from running out of water on the way up. Anyhow, that one only took 4.5 hours, so an all day hike sounds like a quantum leap tougher than that one.

Wow, that is quite a hike . . . I don't think I've every hiked that far except for many years ago in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.

I'm glad you got the Geepus working again. :D (That's the nickname for mine also. :anibad: )

Now, to get in shape for those desert caches, come out to Jamul and do my caches on Mt. McGinty, and/or the "Couch" series by LostGuy51 in Hollenbeck Canyon. :P

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days! :P

:anitongue: Uh . . . do you have maps? :anitongue:

Jamul isn't anywhere close to those wonderful, fun SCC caches. Or were you thinking of Jacumba? :D

Anyway, Jamul is not really that far away, honest . . . Just take 15 to 52 to 125 to 94 and get off at Lyons Valley Road. Easy peasy. :D

I'm not from these parts but I figured I could hit the last of the SCC caches and stop by Jamul on the way back. But maybe it's better just to hit Jamul.

I was looking at all the caches around the Black Canyon event (this Saturday) and there are a bunch!  :anitongue:

The bridge is near TRQDQ0 (MTB Series - The Old Bridge by Toby's Gang).

Mapsource doesn't show Black Canyon road going through but obviously it must.....

Google earth make it easier to look at them. You may also want to look at PassingWinds Black Canyon Area Caches list.

Isn't it weird how the bridge is near a cache named "The Old Bridge". :anitongue:

I'm not from these parts but I figured I could hit the last of the SCC caches and stop by Jamul on the way back. But maybe it's better just to hit Jamul.

You might be able to try that if you go out the 8 through Campo and then come back on the 94... I don't know if I would try both in a day but I am probably abit slower at finding the caches. If you want someone to go with you, I am usually willing. :anitongue:

You might be able to try that if you go out the 8 through Campo and then come back on the 94... I don't know if I would try both in a day but I am probably abit slower at finding the caches. If you want someone to go with you, I am usually willing. :anitongue:

Sure one of these weekends but this weekend it's the Black Canyon CITO event!

I was looking at all the caches around the Black Canyon event (this Saturday) and there are a bunch!  :anitongue:

The bridge is near TRQDQ0 (MTB Series - The Old Bridge by Toby's Gang).

Mapsource doesn't show Black Canyon road going through but obviously it must.....

Google earth make it easier to look at them. You may also want to look at PassingWinds Black Canyon Area Caches list.

That's the cool thing....bag 20 caches, bag an event, and bag some trash and feel good about it at the end of the day!!

4261c38a-087e-47a8-86ea-cdabccb56f22.jpg

So I assume those 7 caches near the bridge cache are all rated 3s because you need a 4x4 or a MB?

I have been down Black Canyon Road and Pamo Road before and I wouldn't say either requires a 4x4. I am not sure if the road between the two requires it but from what I have seen it does not. My guess would be that the rating is at 3 in case the gates are closed (in which case you can only get to them on a mountain bike or on foot) or you are doing the entire series on mountian bike as is suggested. Depending on whether Rogue goes with me or not, I will either be driving a 2WD Ranger or a 67 Mustang.

I am curious if anyone knows which caches you should have the Adventure Pass for? I know one of the caches requires you to go through the Orosco Shooting Range which does require the pass (although you may not need the pass if you don't have to park in the shooting range?).

ooh. I see why the ones between the 2 roads are now. looks like it may not be a good idea to take the Mustang down there (although I am probably dumb enough to try it anyway :anitongue: ) but the Ranger is lifted so it might be ok.

On 12S07 you will come across 3 gates along the way which may or may not be

open. They were all open when I placed the caches and there was evidence of vehicle traffic. I’m not sure if vehicle traffic is allowed on this road, but it would definitely need to be high clearance.

I'm glad you got the Geepus working again. :anitongue: (That's the nickname for mine also. :D )

Now, to get in shape for those desert caches, come out to Jamul and do my caches on Mt. McGinty, and/or the "Couch" series by LostGuy51 in Hollenbeck Canyon. :D

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days! :D

:P Uh . . . do you have maps? :anibad:

Jamul isn't anywhere close to those wonderful, fun SCC caches. Or were you thinking of Jacumba? :anitongue:

Anyway, Jamul is not really that far away, honest . . . Just take 15 to 52 to 125 to 94 and get off at Lyons Valley Road. Easy peasy. :P

You better just hit Jamul. I have ten, count 'em, ten caches on Mt. McGinty. :D That should be enough "smilies" to make your trip worthwhile. :D

Plus it is at least four miles of hiking with several hundred feet of elevation change.

Pick a clear day and you will be rewarded with some spectacular views.

nice to see that 2 of them are archived. Now "muggles" just need to get the rest of them. :anitongue: (2 down, 27 to go)

Well...to be fair, Serious Black (while a really neat idea in pissing cachers off trying to log a cache) was not placed well by me. In retrospect I could've picked a better area and it was pretty far away for me to maintain.

Geocaching Geometry, on the other hand, was a really good one in my opinion, with a fun last little bit to log the cache. Unfortunately, I had to archive it given that I pretty much destroyed my left elbow and that made it at the time impossible for me to replace. I gave it to SlideRule as he begged me to give it to him when I moved away, but I see he has sat on it, and not replaced it. That's a pity. Any locals want to see if they can get him to give it up so this goodie can be re-activated. That would make me happy.

And you all want me to be happy, don't you? :anitongue:

--TT--

So I assume those 7 caches near the bridge cache are all rated 3s because you need a 4x4 or a MB?

I have been down Black Canyon Road and Pamo Road before and I wouldn't say either requires a 4x4. I am not sure if the road between the two requires it but from what I have seen it does not. My guess would be that the rating is at 3 in case the gates are closed (in which case you can only get to them on a mountain bike or on foot) or you are doing the entire series on mountian bike as is suggested. Depending on whether Rogue goes with me or not, I will either be driving a 2WD Ranger or a 67 Mustang.

I am curious if anyone knows which caches you should have the Adventure Pass for? I know one of the caches requires you to go through the Orosco Shooting Range which does require the pass (although you may not need the pass if you don't have to park in the shooting range?).

I have two Adventure Passes. It looks that road is called Santa Isabel Truck Trail, so I'm assuming we can go on it.

nice to see that 2 of them are archived.  Now "muggles" just need to get the rest of them. :anitongue: (2 down, 27 to go)

Well...to be fair, Serious Black (while a really neat idea in pissing cachers off trying to log a cache) was not placed well by me. In retrospect I could've picked a better area and it was pretty far away for me to maintain.

Geocaching Geometry, on the other hand, was a really good one in my opinion, with a fun last little bit to log the cache. Unfortunately, I had to archive it given that I pretty much destroyed my left elbow and that made it at the time impossible for me to replace. I gave it to SlideRule as he begged me to give it to him when I moved away, but I see he has sat on it, and not replaced it. That's a pity. Any locals want to see if they can get him to give it up so this goodie can be re-activated. That would make me happy.

And you all want me to be happy, don't you? :anibad:

--TT--

Geocaching Geometry was a fun one! RM and I still laugh about that one! :anitongue:

Nice map! RM what do you know about that trail?

What the others have said, it's just a dirt road. RM

Edit: The yellow road on my map is a dirt road. The others are a little rough at places, but your Dodge can do them with one hand tied behind its back.

Edited by Rocket Man
Edit: The yellow road on my map is a dirt road. The others are a little rough at places, but your Dodge can do them with one hand tied behind its back.

P.S. to Trailgators - what kind of Dodge do you have? Kinda curious to know what's within the limits of our Dakota.

Edit:  The yellow road on my map is a dirt road.  The others are a little rough at places, but your Dodge can do them with one hand tied behind its back.

P.S. to Trailgators - what kind of Dodge do you have? Kinda curious to know what's within the limits of our Dakota.

This is from something Trailgators said a couple pages back.

By the way, I have a 4x4 Durango.
Edit:  The yellow road on my map is a dirt road.  The others are a little rough at places, but your Dodge can do them with one hand tied behind its back.

This is from something Trailgators said a couple pages back.

By the way, I have a 4x4 Durango.

That's correct, it's a 1999 Durango with 31" tires. I should be able to do most moderate trails with it. It does have some desert pinstripes from an oops of mine. :anitongue: I told my wife that I have no idea how they got there.... :anitongue:

Edited by TrailGators
Ok you FTF addicts - Who is gonna go for this 5/5!! Yukon Diving (SCUBA, Underwater) This would have driven TT mad since it is well within his found radius!

Now someone puts a SCUBA cache in SD?!?!? After I leave? Grab your BCD and 7 mill suit!

FTF-ing wouldn't have been a problem as my buddy (shameless plug) Jake at the Diving Locker in PB did my check-out dives with me for my Scuba cert by diving to the HCMS Yukon. He leads dive trips to the Yukon quite regularly.

It's a very very cool wreck. About 350 ft long, and in 100 ft of water. Lots of reef life has taken to it. My only regret when I dove to it, it was poor vis (~15 ft.) and the wreck was under the thermocline making it a bone-chilling dive with water temp of 49°F.

Boggis can back me up on this, but I once talked with him about putting a SCUBA cache on the Yukon or one of the other wrecks just offshore. I would have too, except for the prohibitive cost of maintaining it. ~$40- $60 to charter a boat to go out there plus air tank fills. Also I thought it would get muggled very easily. The Yukon is a very popular wreck to dive off SD. With the amount of traffic that this wreck gets, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go missing. The underwater one that was in La Jolla Cove went missing two days after it was placed. Underwater caches in SD just don't have a good history of lasting very long.

That being said., who in SD is SCUBA certed? I know Boggis and Mudface are. Anyone else?

My FTF money is on Boggis.

--TT--

The Geocaching Express Logger will now handle smartnames!!!!

Thanks to Jeff Boulter for modifying the code!  :anitongue:

This is great news. I also want to thank Jeff Boulter for this and all of the other cool stuff he provides to the geocaching community. Thanks a bunch Jeff.

Rocket Man

Edit: Has this been posted in the Software Forum yet? If not, do you want to start a thread TG?

Edited by Rocket Man
Yikes! I didn't realize that the TerraCaches were so difficult. We hiked Mission Trails Park North & South Fortuna this weekend and that exhausted us. By the end, Capie, who thinks every little rabbit, bird, or lizard is a mountain lion ready to pounce, was thinking "Just eat me and get it over with!" :anitongue:  We made it back to the car at 4:55 PM as the ranger was starting to write a ticket. Close call.

We came across this interesting box and at first thought it was a geocache that I forgot to enter into the GPSr. Not the case. Anyone else stopped to read the logs?

They're not all ultramarathons and a several of them can be done in a half day or less. They are rated for terrain difficulty. The multi-terracache in the Lagunas (Garnet Peak/Monument Peak) is probably the easiest and you can potentially pick up some GC hides, too. Ditto for Travelers (above the Calcite Mine). Others, like Rosa Point/Marble Mountain series and Granite Mountain will take a lot longer.

-GD