Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Max and 99

The biggest jewel heist in history!

I am very happy with how easy this promotion has been using the ios app. It's not my phone, but everything I've needed has been so easy to find and figure out.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Today I "rage quit"  this promotion/event. Why did the app show the collected jewels (in the "inventory") before the clues were collected, only to poof the jewels away when clues were completed?  I'm not going to collect them again (unless it just happens during my regular caching). Goodbye promotion, not going to miss you a one bit!

• Upvote 1

I was also expecting a puzzle, not another road trip or two or three. I had to do the levels in stages. I don't have a smartphone so I have to prepare in advance. As someone else mentioned I had to plan for caches I might not find in advance. Because of this handicap, I couldn't pick up other caches that might fulfil the requirements for the next level as soon as I had all of the evidence. I'm not happy about all this running around, especially if I end up going back to the same territory I had just been in. Also, what happens to the additional evidence caches I found helping a friend with his search? Do they count toward the 35? I haven't found all the gemstones yet, so I haven't unlocked it to find out the answer to that question.

2 minutes ago, lynn8 said:

I was also expecting a puzzle, not another road trip or two or three. I had to do the levels in stages. I don't have a smartphone so I have to prepare in advance. As someone else mentioned I had to plan for caches I might not find in advance. Because of this handicap, I couldn't pick up other caches that might fulfil the requirements for the next level as soon as I had all of the evidence. I'm not happy about all this running around, especially if I end up going back to the same territory I had just been in. Also, what happens to the additional evidence caches I found helping a friend with his search? Do they count toward the 35? I haven't found all the gemstones yet, so I haven't unlocked it to find out the answer to that question.

They will not count towards the promotion. I was in a similar situation.

I'm 99% sure. 😁

Well... there is a Dutch airline pilot who is finding it very easy to get all these promotional souvenirs.  He was really busy around town yesterday,  judging from the found log notifications I received for the 19th July from caches I own or watch. 

But although he  found a fairly remote cache I own, he  only logged with a fullstop (insulting!) and, checking,  he didn't find any of the other caches on the way to it?   Hang on,  why is there no log from him showing on the cache page?  Even more puzzling, his profile shows he he has no finds on 19 July...? his latest cache find was in Kuwait on the 18th July...  and then it clicked. 

Mr Dutch airline pilot was Couch Logging to get the points needed for this latest promotion. Once he got the points, he got the souvenir 19th July, then deleted all his found logs. He must have been doing it for some time, since although he got a souvenir for caching in NZ 10 June 2016, his only find on that date was in the Netherlands...  

So there you are - a simple and effective way to get all the souvenirs you want, eh?  Now if only I could log a NA (Needs to Apologise) on his profile page, the bad-mannered lout...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, daywalk said:

Well... there is a Dutch airline pilot who is finding it very easy to get all these promotional souvenirs.  He was really busy around town yesterday,  judging from the found log notifications I received for the 19th July from caches I own or watch. 

But although he  found a fairly remote cache I own, he  only logged with a fullstop (insulting!) and, checking,  he didn't find any of the other caches on the way to it?   Hang on,  why is there no log from him showing on the cache page?  Even more puzzling, his profile shows he he has no finds on 19 July...? his latest cache find was in Kuwait on the 18th July...  and then it clicked. 

Mr Dutch airline pilot was Couch Logging to get the points needed for this latest promotion. Once he got the points, he got the souvenir 19th July, then deleted all his found logs. He must have been doing it for some time, since although he got a souvenir for caching in NZ 10 June 2016, his only find on that date was in the Netherlands...  

So there you are - a simple and effective way to get all the souvenirs you want, eh?  Now if only I could log a NA (Needs to Apologise) on his profile page, the bad-mannered lout...

Unfortunately, it can be done. Shameful.

Funny, but shameful.

6 hours ago, daywalk said:

.. and, checking,  he didn't find any of the other caches on the way to it?  

Thanks.  A few have said here over the years, that they didn't feel people really noticed things like that.   :)

I took a lotta carp for some time  for passing by  "placed on the way to..."  caches,  to only log the one at the end.

For a while I even signed a couple on the way,  thinking that might shut some up  (but never logged online).

At an event I mentioned to another about "riding the coattails of a better hide"  and they finally stopped the silliness altogether.   :D

• Love 1

Looks like there's still a bit of a lag in when the clues show up as found on the website on the https://www.geocaching.com/promos/mysteryatthemuseum page. Last night I logged (on the website) a cache with the shadow clue. On the cache page it showed I had found 1/2 shadows, but the Mystery at the Museum page still showed 0/2. The Mystery at the Museum part of the app showed 1/2. This morning, the website has updated to show 1/2, but the lag is still a bit inconvenient.

• Helpful 1

I moved several dozen posts about the definition of "Penalty" and related off-topic thoughts to a separate thread.  Posts on that subject should go in that thread so as not to detract from the on-topic posts in this thread.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Unless I am playing a game like the Jewel Heist, I usually skip over micros in search of other caches. So, I don't think skipping other caches, by itself, means anything. However, if it is impossible to get to caches, even being a pilot...then, well...not sure what the reward is in just clicking through caches for an unearned souvenir. 

I have not had any problems with the functions on my laptop/phone for the game. Guess I have been lucky, but the electronic recording has been totally smooth for me. I do like this game, overall. 

I'm happy to finally be on the last level. Picked up my last jewel today; the needed clues are fairly spread around the city so it was a bit of travel. But I have no concern I'll finish it up by the 11th - Midwest Geobash next weekend, and a big trip to Scotland Aug 1 for some road trip geocaching. :)

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm happy to finally be on the last level. Picked up my last jewel today; the needed clues are fairly spread around the city so it was a bit of travel. But I have no concern I'll finish it up by the 11th - Midwest Geobash next weekend, and a big trip to Scotland Aug 1 for some road trip geocaching. :)

I had a heck of a time getting enough Ruby's - I kept DNFing those!  But now I just need those last 35 - and there is a new (placed while we were traveling) Geotour in the area with 40 caches - and I 'saved' them for this level.  The harder part will be getting the wife to commit the time as she's interested in the Geotour also.

3 hours ago, BugLuv said:

I have not had any problems with the functions on my laptop/phone for the game. Guess I have been lucky, but the electronic recording has been totally smooth for me. I do like this game, overall. 

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm happy to finally be on the last level. Picked up my last jewel today

Both of the above statements apply in my case.  It's been interesting, as I'd not used the filtering much at all on my phone or the new search map.  We are currently several hundred miles south of our home area (having pretty much cleared it out already!!) so we've had adequate selection of caches to get the Detective clues and then the Jewels we needed.  We got the final jewels today, and finding 35 more caches between now and August 11 should be doable for us. I 'm lucky to have geocaching husband as a partner, who is on board with the promo and searching for select caches.

He didn't use the filtering options, so he was seeing all the caches, and I was only seeing those with the jewels we needed - it made for interesting conversatins as we drove!  Anyway, we'll be driving a few hundred miles back home tomorrow.  It's a drive we've made multiple times, and I think we've got all the rest stop caches on the way, but we no longer need to target specific caches.  We may just plan a caching day or two and find a bunch on a hiking trail once we get home.

It's been an interesting promo, different, and forced(?) me to learn map features I hadn't used before.  The souvenirs and tally functions worked smoothly - hubby logged at the cache site, I logged later on my laptop from drafts I made on the phone and it worked both ways equally well.  I'd give this a thumbs up, though I realize it's been frustrating for some.