Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Max and 99

The biggest jewel heist in history!

Recommended Posts

The web based search map works for me.

 

Two issues I've found:

 

1. an event held yesterday has the Detective clue.

2. Several of the caches holding the Detective clue are temp disabled, and some have been for several months.

 

Surely caches in the 2 categories above should not be given clues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

It only lets me search for 'Detective'.  So I have to go find one (once it works), then come home and search for 'footprint'?  Go out and find one of those, then come back and search for 'shadow'?  Then go back out and find that one?  Definitely discriminates against GPS users!

 

My nearest unfound enabled detective-clued cache is 20km away as the crow flies (and probably twice that by road), so it looks like a lot of driving will be needed to make any headway in this.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Why do caches that are disabled get a clue? In one small area there are multiple caches with the "detective" clue that have been disabled for weeks due to flooding. One was disabled on May 1 (GC7RH6H). All of the caches shown here have the detective clue yet all but a couple are disabled.

 

 

2019-07-11_080310.jpg

Edited by Mike Fitz
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Mike Fitz said:

Why do caches that are disabled get a clue? In one small area there are multiple caches with the "detective" clue that have been disabled for weeks due to flooding. One was disabled on May 1 (GC7RH6H). All of the caches shown here have the detective clue yet all but a couple are disabled.

 

Worldwide, there are 53,850 disabled caches. A staggering 47,901 of those have the detective clue!

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

 

Worldwide, there are 53,850 disabled caches. A staggering 47,901 of those have the detective clue!

It's too early in the morning for such a big laugh!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Mike Fitz said:

Why do caches that are disabled get a clue? In one small area there are multiple caches with the "detective" clue that have been disabled for weeks due to flooding. One was disabled on May 1 (GC7RH6H). All of the caches shown here have the detective clue yet all but a couple are disabled.

 

Possibly to get them reactivated again?

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Hereisme said:

 

Possibly to get them reactivated again?

 

If they're underwater and the roads are closed due to flooding not much you can do to enable them again (in this case anyway).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:


That's exactly what happened to me. I went and found a cache that stated (two different searches, one thru the Mystery at the Museum link) it had a Detective Clue, but didn't get anything while logging. No proceeding with the other clues until that one is processed.

 

Brendan: Just letting you know the status as we figure this out!

Thanks for the status.  I've recorded this issue and the team is investigating.  I appreciate your patience and feedback on this issue.  
Best,

Brendan

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Team Tupus said:

I logged gc8agwy after this mystery at the museum started. It should have the clue in it. Still it says we have not the clue. I deleted the log and made another found it log and still nothing. What could go wrong here?

Same here with https://coord.info/GC6YFKQ

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, geodesafios said:

Same here with https://coord.info/GC6YFKQ

Ooh! You found a Picarax geocache for the Detective Clue! He's my International Space Station sighting partner in Spain!

Share this post


Link to post

Same same. Just found a cache, recently published, with Detective-clue, but not in the app visible. And I just found it.

To much traffic at the moment on the server or is there a bug that is not noticed yet??

 

The cache I found is: GC8AFWK

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Ooh! You found a Picarax geocache for the Detective Clue! He's my International Space Station sighting partner in Spain!

He's a great guy :D

Glad of knowing you ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, geodesafios said:

Same here with https://coord.info/GC6YFKQ

I'm a little concerned that I found a cache for nothing, even though it had a Detective Clue from the searches.

Mine did NOT say Detective Clue at the top, but the one that geodesafios found DOES have Detective Clue at the top of the message!

 

 

Detective Clue Message.png

Spain Detective Clue.png

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Well, this is disappointing. For one thing, I expected another email from Groundspeak that the promotion had started. Another video perhaps? If I hadn't been monitoring, I wouldn't have remembered that this promotion had started. Also, if I was someone who wasn't afraid to poke around on a website, I would have never figured out how to find which caches have a clue. So that pretty much cuts out anyone out there who is not internet savvy, like my mother-in-law, for instance.

 

I used the map filter to find caches with the detective clue in my area. I haven't found very many caches here, but even so, only four caches popped up nearby. One is disabled, two are either missing or trashed, and one is a mystery that is actually almost an hour round trip to complete. <_<

 

I also don't see how to find which caches have these clues by using the phone app -  nothing's showing up on my phone. I know I updated the app maybe a month ago, so it should be up to date?

Edited by Ambrosia
clarification
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

You can hardly be surprised by this. It's been in the FAQ.

Do disabled caches have clues?

Geocaches that are disabled at the start of Mystery at the Museum and enabled during the promotion will receive the detective clue. 

If a geocache is disabled and re-enabled during the promotion, the clue will remain the same. For example, if an active geocache on July 11 has a fingerprint in it, becomes disabled for a week, and re-enabled, it will still have the fingerprint clue in it.

 

44 minutes ago, Mike Fitz said:

Why do caches that are disabled get a clue? In one small area there are multiple caches with the "detective" clue that have been disabled for weeks due to flooding. One was disabled on May 1 (GC7RH6H). All of the caches shown here have the detective clue yet all but a couple are disabled.

 

 

2019-07-11_080310.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post

"Geocaches that are disabled at the start of Mystery at the Museum and enabled during the promotion will receive the detective clue."

 

These have been disabled for weeks or more and have not been re-enabled. Maybe I'm just confused by the wording in the FAQ?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm a little concerned that I found a cache for nothing, even though it had a Detective Clue from the searches.

Mine did NOT say Detective Clue at the top, but the one that geodesafios found DOES have Detective Clue at the top of the message!

 

 

Detective Clue Message.png

Spain Detective Clue.png

 

I'm not sure U fully understand this challenge.  But by comparing cache pages, I see the two boxes as above.  I think the top box is not available yet, and the bottom box with the "Detective" has "a clue".  I'm unsure how a clue manifests itself after a suitable cache is found.  At least I'm guessing that the Stat below "Detective" will become "Found: 1/1".  Maybe the clue will be shown in the same text box?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Uncle Chem said:

Do disabled caches have clues?

Geocaches that are disabled at the start of Mystery at the Museum and enabled during the promotion will receive the detective clue

But all those shown today have not been enabled. We may just be reading it differently, but I expect that to mean WHEN it gets enabled, it'll receive the detective clue.

But that doesn't do any good to maybe 99% of the community if it doesn't get enabled until August 10.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone,

 

A quick update from HQ regarding Mystery at the Museum:

 

1. We are aware that Events taking place outside the July 11 - August 11 time period had a Detective Clue associated with them during the beginning of the promotion (initial 1.5hrs).  We have now removed Clues from Events that do not occur during the Mystery at the Museum (MATM) promotion.  For now, they will continue to show up in the search results but they will no longer award a Clue.
2. Regarding disabled caches, as part of our Clue distribution for MATM, we have assigned the Detective to all disabled caches, assuming that these caches might be enabled during the MATM promotion.  We are currently looking at some remedies and solutions to this.

Best,
Brendan

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, kunarion said:

 

I'm not sure U fully understand this challenge.  But by comparing cache pages, I see the two boxes as above.  I think the top box is not available yet, and the bottom box with the "Detective" has "a clue".  I'm unsure how a clue manifests itself after a suitable cache is found.  At least I'm guessing that the Stat below "Detective" will become "Found: 1/1".  Maybe the clue will be shown in the same text box?

If the top box clue isn't available yet, then it shouldn't have been listed under Detective Clue in the search function, which it did.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi!

Am I the only one not seeing the "mystery at the museum" on the Geocaching app by now? I have the latest version installed on my mobile which is 8.0.2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Mike Fitz said:

"Geocaches that are disabled at the start of Mystery at the Museum and enabled during the promotion will receive the detective clue."

 

These have been disabled for weeks or more and have not been re-enabled. Maybe I'm just confused by the wording in the FAQ?

Yeah, I do believe we're reading differently. If anything, I'm pretty surprised that there are some disabled which do not have the detective clue. Either way, at least the detective clue isn't exclusively related to disabled caches.

Share this post


Link to post

Add me to the list. I logged a cache This one with the detective clue (after 1200UTC today), but no detective find has registered. Quirks with the searching and cache allocation can be worked round, but this one can't!

 

I was all keen to go and hunt for the next stage, but I can't do that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Uncle Chem said:

You can hardly be surprised by this. It's been in the FAQ.

Do disabled caches have clues?

Geocaches that are disabled at the start of Mystery at the Museum and enabled during the promotion will receive the detective clue. 

If a geocache is disabled and re-enabled during the promotion, the clue will remain the same. For example, if an active geocache on July 11 has a fingerprint in it, becomes disabled for a week, and re-enabled, it will still have the fingerprint clue in it.

 

 

 

 OK, cool.  But it also says that caches published between July 11th and August 11 will receive a clue.  My cache was published on July 11th.  So at least some of the FAQ isn't very clear.

 

Untitled-sc3.jpg

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Team Tupus said:

I logged gc8agwy after this mystery at the museum started. It should have the clue in it. Still it says we have not the clue. I deleted the log and made another found it log and still nothing. What could go wrong here?

 

Has anyone else wondered what will happen if someone attempts to game the system in the same way that acquiring a souvenir can be exploited.   If one acquires a clue, then deletes their found it log, do they still keep the clue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

 

 OK, cool.  But it also says that caches published between July 11th and August 11 will receive a clue.  My cache was published on July 11th.  So at least some of the FAQ isn't very clear.

 

Untitled-sc3.jpg

 

 

Thanks for posting this. I'm submitting two today, so I know to look for this glitch on my own caches.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess my concern with the disabled caches getting the clues is if there are only a certain number of caches in an area that get a clue and the disabled caches are getting them does this mean it there are less available/enabled caches that get a clue in the same area?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

Well, this is disappointing. For one thing, I expected another email from Groundspeak that the promotion had started. Another video perhaps? If I hadn't been monitoring, I wouldn't have remembered that this promotion had started. Also, if I was someone who wasn't afraid to poke around on a website, I would have never figured out how to find which caches have a clue. So that pretty much cuts out anyone out there who is not internet savvy, like my mother-in-law, for instance.

 

I used the map filter to find caches with the detective clue in my area. I haven't found very many caches here, but even so, only four caches popped up nearby. One is disabled, two are either missing or trashed, and one is a mystery that is actually almost an hour round trip to complete. <_<

 

I also don't see how to find which caches have these clues by using the phone app -  nothing's showing up on my phone. I know I updated the app maybe a month ago, so it should be up to date?

 

I'm stoked that I eventually figured out how to work "Filter By Clue".  It's a button all the way over at "Has Corrected Coordinates". :anicute:

 

Untitled-2f.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Mike Fitz said:

I guess my concern with the disabled caches getting the clues is if there are only a certain number of caches in an area that get a clue and the disabled caches are getting them does this mean it there are less available/enabled caches that get a clue in the same area?

Exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, patateaufour said:

Hi!

Am I the only one not seeing the "mystery at the museum" on the Geocaching app by now? I have the latest version installed on my mobile which is 8.0.2

Hi,

 

If you open your mobile app, then navigate to the Profile, you should see a line item that states Mystery at the Museum.  Can you confirm that you are seeing this?  I have included a screen shot of my profile page for reference.

 

Best,

Brendan

59273757_Image-1(1).thumb.jpg.c8d6ec61745f207e85d4e5c81c0e9050.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, brendanjw said:

Hi,

 

If you open your mobile app, then navigate to the Profile, you should see a line item that states Mystery at the Museum.  Can you confirm that you are seeing this?  I have included a screen shot of my profile page for reference.

 

Best,

Brendan

59273757_Image-1(1).thumb.jpg.c8d6ec61745f207e85d4e5c81c0e9050.jpg

 

It is there, and already for some time. Since today it is a working link, till yesterday the app would crash.

But still wondering why it says that some caches have the detective-clue but as I have logged when, the app doesn't recognize this....

Share this post


Link to post

Huh, interesting. Even though I have updated my app fairly recently, the Mystery at the Museum link did not show up. I just updated it again, and now it's there.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, now that I look at my app and do a search in my area, about seven caches pop up, rather than the four showing on the desktop map. Something's glitchy here...:huh:

 

Using my desktop was so bad (I looked in an area I am traveling to on Saturday - even with a lot of caches there, zero were showing up as a detective clue), that I was about to give up on this promotion.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Actually, more than seven are showing up, but only two of the problem ones showing up on my desktop map are showing - the other two are missing from the app. So, both the app and the desktop map are glitchy.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Hi,

 

If you open your mobile app, then navigate to the Profile, you should see a line item that states Mystery at the Museum.  Can you confirm that you are seeing this?  I have included a screen shot of my profile page for reference.

 

Best,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, thanks for your reply. I went to the profile page and It still show the old layout and unfortunately no mystery at the museum line under the trackable inventory even if I have the newest version installed,  So I uninstall and reinstall the app and  now everything is fine!  Thanks for your help!

7 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I am rather cheesed off now. I tried logging other caches that had the detective from my desktop but none worked. Then someone suggested I log from the app instead... which I didn't have... so I took the trouble of installing it and setting it up. Although I had deleted all my logs from the detective caches they were still showing as "found" in the app so of course I wasn't able to re-log them. I had to go and try another, and this time it worked. Now I have to go and delete all those test logs and apologise to the COs for messing them about. And this is made harder because at least one of them wasn't showing in my "latest activity" list (on the website).

 

Does it only work from the mobile app?? I hate logging that way so this is a show stopper for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

** UPDATE - I reported a false positive on the suggested workaround. Deleting previous finds and re-logging them will not provide the desired result of receiving a Clue.  We are investigating this issue and hope to have a response shortly.

 

Hi,

 

We discovered the issue with clues not being awarded properly (it was a timezone issue). Future logs should work properly. 

 

We'll keep you updated on this issue.

 

Best,
Brendan

Edited by brendanjw
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, patateaufour said:

Hi Brendan, thanks for your reply. I went to the profile page and It still show the old layout and unfortunately no mystery at the museum line under the trackable inventory even if I have the newest version installed,  So I uninstall and reinstall the app and  now everything is fine!  Thanks for your help!

 

So glad to hear things are working, I sincerely apologize that you had to uninstall/reinstall to get it working.

 

-Brendan

Share this post


Link to post

So I also found the "Filter by Clue" button on the "Search for Geocaches" map page.   It will only let me select "Detective".  So I do that, and click "Done".  I can see several caches nearby with the "Detective" clue.   Cool.  However, before I got find the closest one, I might want to know where caches with the footprint, shadow, or other caches with different clues are.  As it turns out, for me to get to the closest cache with the detective clue in it, I would go right past a cache which has the shadow clue.  In the app, I can click on an individual cache on the map to see what clue it has, but not from the site.   Are really expected to go out and find one cache at a time,   then log it as found, so that we can then search for caches with the next clue level?   

 

I also noticed that if I turn on the "Filter by Clue" button,   select "Detective" and view the map with caches with the detective clue, then turn off the "Filter by Clue" button,  searching the map still filters out all caches which do not have the detective clue.   I have to turn on "Filter by Clue" then click "deselect all types" before it will stop filtering by clue.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've just deleted my attended log on an event and re-logged it a few seconds ago.

Still no souvenir or 'detective clue' has appeared.

Share this post


Link to post

I did another search, to caches that I have not found, that do have the detective clue, and got a list. When I click on the cache page, it does NOT have the Detective Clue, just the generic message that you need to find clues to proceed.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

To add to the list of things that might need fixing...

 

Using the website map search - enable the filter and tick the box - that shows some caches (yes, disabled etc...)

 

Then - untangle the filter switch and the filter does not disappear - you appear to have to untick the boxes and then untoggle the switch to get the filter to go away. I'm not sure that's great UI - I expected the toggle switch to disable all the filtering (and it took me >10 attempts to realise why...) (e2a: Safari 12.1.1on OSX 10.12.6)

 

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 15.47.28.png

Edited by Blue Square Thing

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I did another search, to caches that I have not found, that do have the detective clue, and got a list. When I click on the cache page, it does NOT have the Detective Clue, just the generic message that you need to find clues to proceed.

 

Hello - would you mind sharing which geocache you are looking at? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, alan666notb said:

I've just deleted my attended log on an event and re-logged it a few seconds ago.

Still no souvenir or 'detective clue' has appeared.

Same issue. I have an event tomorrow morning so I'll just wait for that.

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

I'm not sure U fully understand this challenge.  But by comparing cache pages, I see the two boxes as above.  I think the top box is not available yet, and the bottom box with the "Detective" has "a clue".  I'm unsure how a clue manifests itself after a suitable cache is found.  At least I'm guessing that the Stat below "Detective" will become "Found: 1/1".  Maybe the clue will be shown in the same text box?

 

Based on what has been said above - I fuilly understood what was required - however having filtered those caches with 'detective' clue and then went on a 30 mile round trip to find the nearest cache on the resulting list (which had the second of the two images shown)  to then log the cache and BOOM ..... nothing happened, it didn't go 1/1, tit didn't go youv'e found this one, it didn't go youv'e got the sounvenir !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, SeekingSalters said:

I am rather cheesed off now. I tried logging other caches that had the detective from my desktop but none worked. Then someone suggested I log from the app instead... which I didn't have... so I took the trouble of installing it and setting it up. Although I had deleted all my logs from the detective caches they were still showing as "found" in the app so of course I wasn't able to re-log them. I had to go and try another, and this time it worked. Now I have to go and delete all those test logs and apologise to the COs for messing them about. And this is made harder because at least one of them wasn't showing in my "latest activity" list (on the website).

 

Does it only work from the mobile app?? I hate logging that way so this is a show stopper for me.

 

 

I don't have the mobile app and have never needed to as I use a GPS  -  I don't see why i should have to download the APP just to get involved in this hunt

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I did another search, to caches that I have not found, that do have the detective clue, and got a list. When I click on the cache page, it does NOT have the Detective Clue, just the generic message that you need to find clues to proceed.

 

So what does it look like when there is the detective clue 
When I filtered for those that DO have the detective clue I got a cache which had the following :- and I expected that when I found that cache this would change to 1/1 
 

Detective.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Hi,

 

We discovered the issue with clues not being awarded properly (it was a timezone issue). Future logs should work properly. Our recommendation and suggested workaround at the time is to delete the finds that you previously made and log them again.

 

We'll keep you updated on this issue.

 

Best,
Brendan

I did this. Again and the result is the same, no awarded clue.

Share this post


Link to post

The only work around I could get to have it "register my detective" was to delete log, install app and log through app.  This mission will be dropped very quickly if it's only working consistently through the official geocaching app :(

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, bullocd said:

The only work around I could get to have it "register my detective" was to delete log, install app and log through app.  This mission will be dropped very quickly if it's only working consistently through the official geocaching app :(

Doesn't really help when the app won't recognise your deleted log 😝

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14

×
×
  • Create New...