Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Max and 99

The biggest jewel heist in history!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I am so curious what this is about! But I have to wait two weeks! Couldn't the news anchor on the Breaking News tell me more? Haha.

 

https://mysteryatthemuseum.com/?utm_source=Logbook&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=06_04_2019

 

Oh, that's been done very well indeed - excellent work. The ticker messages are great as well.

 

No idea what it'll be of course, but I enjoyed watching it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

It took me all day to realize the newsletter from Groundspeak  had a link to click that gave information on the heist!

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe this is their summer "friends league" souvenir competition? Kinda like "Hidden Creatures"?

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, DerDiedler said:

A post like a typical spam mail :D

I wouldn´t klick the link ;)

But Signal needs your help to solve the biggest jewel heist in history! 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'd rather see them put this much effort into fixing the search map page.

 

Seems some like the promotions though.   It was sorta cute.     :)

It does kinda bother me though  (with no other info I got in the email) about adding  jewels to what the site's still calling the "world's largest treasure hunt".

We're seeing trackables go bye-bye as "treasure"  (or a souvenir) now...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Different teams, it's not like they have one person working on everything... I'm sure there's still a team working just as hard and constantly on the search map as we all want.  This is likely the marketing team, nothing to do with the search stuff. But anyway... 

 

Can't wait to find out what they've come up with this time; I also think it's related to the next souvenir promo.  Mystery at the Murseum makes me think it has to do with finding puzzle/Mystery caches in some for or other.  hmm

 

Actually I'm going to run with that theory - find different amounts/tiers of Mystery caches to unlock more 'clues' (souvenirs) - hit the max and you 'sovle the mystery' (earn the final souvenir) :cool:

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Different teams, it's not like they have one person working on everything... I'm sure there's still a team working just as hard and constantly on the search map as we all want.  This is likely the marketing team, nothing to do with the search stuff.

 

That's probably the case for the most part, but there's likely some developer work involved too for setting up new webpages, building/tweaking/fixing the Friend League/Leaderboard, etc. It's unlikely that the marketing team can do all of it on their own, so it would take some developer time away from other arguably more important projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

That's probably the case for the most part, but there's likely some developer work involved too for setting up new webpages, building/tweaking/fixing the Friend League/Leaderboard, etc. It's unlikely that the marketing team can do all of it on their own, so it would take some developer time away from other arguably more important projects. 

1 person / 1 team, I'm 99% confident it's not like they halted development in one place to work on this new promo. Nor can we expect that all development resources will always and exclusively be dedicated to that one place.

But that's all beside the point of this thread.

Edited by thebruce0

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Actually I'm going to run with that theory - find different amounts/tiers of Mystery caches to unlock more 'clues' (souvenirs) - hit the max and you 'sovle the mystery' (earn the final souvenir) :cool:

 

Or maybe it'll be like the Mission GC 2016 promotion where we had to solve a puzzle to find out what the requirement was for each souvenir.

Edited by barefootjeff

Share this post


Link to post

You better hope that there are Mystery caches available near you. Only half-a-dozen within 50 miles of me that I haven't found.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, K13 said:

You better hope that there are Mystery caches available near you. Only half-a-dozen within 50 miles of me that I haven't found.

I don´t need to hope. In my homezone there are a few dozen within a 5km radius :D

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, K13 said:

You better hope that there are Mystery caches available near you. Only half-a-dozen within 50 miles of me that I haven't found.

 

Don't worry there will probably be a few local cachers that'll put out some mystery caches so that others can qualify for the souvenir.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Mysteries are pretty light on here once you get away from the cities. For example, Coffs Harbour, a major town on the New South Wales north coast about halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, has only two.

 

image.png.5bbbd6f3f158ca09c25c8ec9842f5d30.png

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Don't worry there will probably be a few local cachers that'll put out some mystery caches so that others can qualify for the souvenir.

Yep.

A date-placed timeframe like this new virtual thing might work, otherwise I agree. 

The last promotion needing favorite points shows the extremes some will take just for stats.   ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Guess I'll not work on the GeoStar until then.

This is the unfortunate side effect (not sky is falling or anything but still) of these promotions. I don't think I'm alone with this, but I very often find myself avoiding going caching, and/or leaving caches unfound that I'm right nearby, if they would be convenient for the next souvenir promotion. The promotion encourages me to get out caching, but effectively discourages me from caching (around my home city) when there is no promotion on. I know some will scoff as they dont care about souvenirs but I find it fun collecting them.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

This is the unfortunate side effect (not sky is falling or anything but still) of these promotions. I don't think I'm alone with this, but I very often find myself avoiding going caching, and/or leaving caches unfound that I'm right nearby, if they would be convenient for the next souvenir promotion. The promotion encourages me to get out caching, but effectively discourages me from caching (around my home city) when there is no promotion on. I know some will scoff as they dont care about souvenirs but I find it fun collecting them.

 

That was the argument against allowing certain challenge cache qualifications. They influence someone not to cache (even though it's more like a redirected desire to cache - like "I can't find that cache, I have to save it for another day"). I don't see how that's a Bad Thing, but they wanted challenge caches to be additive, rather than having certain qualifying finds be potentially negated for any particular challenge for some reason (either by a later action or by finding it 'incorrectly').

But, souvenir promotions aren't challenge caches, and they are run by HQ themselves, so they don't fall under the same rule set or context, and they're only temporarily available for a short period anyway, so I can understand why the qualification requirements might allow that sort of side effect.  Ultimatey it's really not that bad of a side effect, especially if the net benefit is more fun and... well, beneficial :)

Looking forward to finding out more.  Promo period will probably start in July

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

This is the unfortunate side effect (not sky is falling or anything but still) of these promotions. I don't think I'm alone with this, but I very often find myself avoiding going caching, and/or leaving caches unfound that I'm right nearby, if they would be convenient for the next souvenir promotion. The promotion encourages me to get out caching, but effectively discourages me from caching (around my home city) when there is no promotion on.

I know some will scoff as they dont care about souvenirs but I find it fun collecting them.

 

We agree.   We didn't cache for an entire month once when there was a "souvenir" for every day...

We both have other hobbies, and I'm actually enjoying myself outside more now.  An injury allowed me time to tie a few flies for one too.

We don't have a desire to change the way we play this hobby, and find it rude we're "kinda" forced to.

Still refrain from most promotions, and on a couple we've mailed HQ for souvenirs to be deleted (since "hiding" really isn't the same...).

 

Still hoping for an "Opt Out"  in our settings some day.  Less hassle for us and HQ.   :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2019 at 4:14 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

I'd rather see them put this much effort into fixing the search map page.

Amen to that ... Hi NYPC greetings from the Emerald Triangle be well.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, spotter/g said:

Looks like tomorrow is the big day! I can't wait :)

Yep! :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Authorities need your help to solve the biggest jewel heist in history!

Mystery at the Museum
 

The heist at the Teague-Ulmer Museum remains the biggest jewel theft in history and one of the great unsolved mysteries of the museum world. Many theories have surfaced as to where the stolen jewels have been hidden, but after many years investigators have still not retrieved them. New evidence has recently revealed itself and the authorities need your help to find the stolen jewels.

From July 11 to August 11, collect clues to track down the missing jewels. Once you have found all of the jewels, uncover the combination changed by the thieves to return them safely to the vault!

😀

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alain4s said:

Authorities need your help to solve the biggest jewel heist in history!
 
The heist at the Teague-Ulmer Museum remains the biggest jewel theft in history and one of the great unsolved mysteries of the museum world. Many theories have surfaced as to where the stolen jewels have been hidden, but after many years investigators have still not retrieved them. New evidence has recently revealed itself and the authorities need your help to find the stolen jewels.


From July 11 to August 11, collect clues to track down the missing jewels. Once you have found all of the jewels, uncover the combination changed by the thieves to return them safely to the vault!


Direct link, for those who want it. It's also in German, French, and a few other languages. I can't wait to find out what HQ's got planned!

Edited by Hügh

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Interesting.  Followed the link and then clicked on "Case info and FAQs" and it went to a "Page not found". :(

 

Guess HQ hasn't published the blog post yet!

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hügh said:

 

Guess HQ hasn't published the blog post yet!

Then they should fix the page so that it doesn't have links to blog posts that haven't been created.   Two of the links work though.  The Breaking News link goes to a March, 2018 blog post, and of course the Official Merchandise link works.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the /english page hasn't been "published" yet either. Unless I'm missing the announcement, it was 'found' early.  The front page still shows only the news video.

 

They hid the landing page by very weak obfuscation. IIRC, using the same url structure as prior promos, so not very 'hidden', thus easily found and scooped.

 

I'm pretty sure those 'not found' blog posts are created and simply not yet published.  Once they announce the promo content, the front page will be updated and/or direct to /english and those blog posts will be published so all the links will work as intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

This is quite intriguing... unfound geocaches turning (randomly I assume) into holders of virtual clues.

One thing's for sure, it'll stand a much better chance of being evenly distributed worldwide so everyone would have a (relatively) equal chance at getting clues regardless of the distribution of cache types or properties in their local area (quantity of local caches would still be a factor of course), assuming clues aren't distributed specifically for cache types but generally distributed across all unfound listings.

 

Uncertain if clue locations are unique to the cacher or identical for all, but I'd assume the former. Dependent on how they're storing all that data. If it's at HQ, then it may be the same for all, but if it's selected per user on search request, then most likely unique to the user.

 

Holding my opinion until we learn more, but it's effectively very similar to that other game that shall not be mentioned flagging various listings as relevant to a theme encouraging people to collect them - by targeting the temporary flags rather than the items/listings themselves. That factor is going to be a point of contention (people going for the cache for the sake of the clue, rather than the value of the cache itself).  Owners not 'opting in' their caches to be clueholders for the promo could be a significant issue...

 

ETA: There's still a couple of weeks so there may be a form distributed for cache owners to 'opt out' and not allow their caches to hold clues for the promo. That would be a smart idea I think.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Information has been posted!

It sounds ... complex to manage.  These "clues" are randomly aded to various geocaches everywhere?  If it's open to all (Premium and Basic) is it only the basic caches that get the clues?  How are these caches chosen?  Or is it all new caches published July 11 - August 11 that get them?  Do I get a choice as to whether my caches get a clue?  Will my PMO caches suddenly become magnets for those after the clues?  Bogus finds just to get the clues?

 

Let's just say, this could get interesting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah bogus finds is another concern. I think they're banking on most geocachers at least knowing the spirit of the hobby and playing that way. But there are so many grey areas that could be abused... =/  It's another experiment, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how it turns out - and absolutely hoping there's more detail and perhaps some explanation and more functionality/rules to come.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Owners not 'opting in' their caches to be clueholders for the promo could be a significant issue...

 

^^^This.  KInda like the "Cache Machines" and folks not wanting their caches to be on the hit list.

5 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

ETA: There's still a couple of weeks so there may be a form distributed for cache owners to 'opt out' and not allow their caches to hold clues for the promo. That would be a smart idea I think.

I think this is an excellent idea.  At least we have a heads up and time to see how this will play out.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

New geocaches published between July 11 and August 11, 2019 will all receive the detective clue.

 

Even if the CO doesn't want their new cache to be part of the promo?  Hmmmm.....

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post

Not all geocaches will have clues?

Does this mean, if we want to participate, that we will be forced find specific caches? (It appears the threshold is very low at 22 caches for the first three souvenirs)

 

This is another promotion that heavily favors the new cacher.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

 If it's open to all (Premium and Basic) is it only the basic caches that get the clues?  How are these caches chosen?  Or is it all new caches published July 11 - August 11 that get them?  Do I get a choice as to whether my caches get a clue? Will my PMO caches suddenly become magnets for those after the clues?  Bogus finds just to get the clues?

 

This was brought up just a few days ago.  There was an event just a while ago that allowed basic members a premium membership during it.

I didn't see too many COs of pmo caches griping,  maybe they didn't really notice (since the basic member would be listed as PM for the promotion I guess...).

The site hasn't said yet, but possible that's happening again.  :)

 - Maybe we'll find out when some start posting questions in comments.

 

Edited by cerberus1
addification

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

New geocaches published between July 11 and August 11, 2019 will all receive the detective clue.

Even if the CO doesn't want their new cache to be part of the promo?  Hmmmm.....

 

I think this will have a negative effect for those who want their quality  hides pmo, or rarely visited.  They just won't place hides for that month.

But I can see a lot adding many mediocre caches just for this promotion,  probably intended to show a renewed interest in the hobby (marketing...). :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

If new caches receive the detective souvenir, then I don't see it encouraging many many mediocre caches to be placed. You only need one detective souvenir

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, EggsTheBest said:

I don't understand why you'd want your new cache not the be a part of a promo. 

 

Really ?   It's similar to not looking forward to maintenance issues at megas...

You ever have large groups running through (in a hurry), creating problems in most areas they've been to ?  A few blasted through here.

One went through three states before they got word they left a trail of ticked-off COs along their entire route.

  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

 

Really ?   

Really, because I can't understand why you'd create a new cache if you don't want people to go look for it, even if there's an armchair log once in a while. 

 

18 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You ever have large groups running through (in a hurry), creating problems in most areas they've been to ? 

Nope. :) I guess I can't relate, eh.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, EggsTheBest said:

Really, because I can't understand why you'd create a new cache if you don't want people to go look for it, even if there's an armchair log once in a while. 

Well, I suppose it's not something you'd have to understand; there are people who won't publish just so they won't "attract" such types of finds. 

It's nice that the hobby can accomodate both 'understandings', eh?

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, EggsTheBest said:

I don't understand why you'd want your new cache not the be a part of a promo. 

I know cache owners who archived all their caches and left the game because their caches became just another checkbox for someone trying to complete some challenge cache. They wanted people to seek their caches for the adventure their caches provided, and all they got was "another box in the Fizzy/Jasmer/Whatever grid".

 

I don't see this promotion's virtual clues as being all that different from challenge cache checkboxes in that regard.

  • Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, niraD said:

I know cache owners who archived all their caches and left the game because their caches became just another checkbox for someone trying to complete some challenge cache. They wanted people to seek their caches for the adventure their caches provided, and all they got was "another box in the Fizzy/Jasmer/Whatever grid".

To me this sounds just as absurd as "I quit geocaching because everyone's logs were "TFTC" and I wanted to read two page essay of how they loved my cache".

Everyone has their own reasons to go caching, and everyone may quit for whatever reason they want. It's just a bit disappointing that people get offended/upset by something so insignificant, like the message in the log. Don't you think?

 

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I'm excited about this promo. :D The fact that others will have an additional motivation to go caching, doesn't affect how I feel about the game. :)

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, EggsTheBest said:

To me this sounds just as absurd as "I quit geocaching because everyone's logs were "TFTC" and I wanted to read two page essay of how they loved my cache".

Everyone has their own reasons to go caching, and everyone may quit for whatever reason they want. It's just a bit disappointing that people get offended/upset by something so insignificant, like the message in the log. Don't you think?

 

Text in log content isn't quite the same as not appreciating or experiencing a physical cache find as intended, let alone the potential for finders who don't care about the cache and only the virtual reward to not actually care about the physical cache, causing the owner to have to do maintenance runs, or at worst archive. This happens surprisingly often, and not even in relation to side games like this. I agree that quitting the game because of "TFTC" logs is extreme. But I can completely understand the desire not to risk damage to a cache or vicinity or careless activity around a cache because some geocachers only care about "name in logbook to log online and get the virtual reward". (the same issue has arisen with powertrail cachers and group caching, so it's not new).

 

If such COs care about that risk, then that's their prerogative. If you're a CO that has no concern about that risk, that's just fine too. Let's not denigrate each other.

If HQ provides an option to allow COs to have caches opt out of containing clues, that would be best for the overall community, imo.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

If HQ provides an option to allow COs to have caches opt out of containing clues, that would be best for the overall community, imo.

 

I agree.  :)   In fact,  I'd go one further and have an "opt in/out of promotions"  altogether  button in our account settings.

Been asking for something like that for some time now.   Got a questionnaire email a couple days ago and mentioned there too.

Worked a while in marketing and realize some of the goals , but I pay my pm to play my way.  That's shouldn't be tough to understand...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post

A global opt in/out has been suggested a ways back, but for now it shouldn't be too hard to allow COs to opt caches out of this particular promo (and by not hard I mean the benefit to providing it outweighs the work necessary to create it =P)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14

×
×
  • Create New...